PDA

View Full Version : Jangly Guitar Sound?

El_Goodo
04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I was talking to my guitar teacher, and I asked him about how to get a jangly guitar sound similar to bands like Big Star, or R.E.M. and one of the things he told me was that sometimes the sound is made by using all 6th strings for each string, and tuning it as normal. Im thinking about trying it but Im worried that the strings won't be able to take it. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it before?

pfc_mike
04-04-2006, 12:04 AM
6th strings for each string???

the axis
04-04-2006, 12:07 AM
I was talking to my guitar teacher, and I asked him about how to get a jangly guitar sound similar to bands like Big Star, or R.E.M. and one of the things he told me was that sometimes the sound is made by using all 6th strings for each string, and tuning it as normal. Im thinking about trying it but Im worried that the strings won't be able to take it. Has anyone ever heard of this or tried it before?

hmm...never heard of that. I dont suppose it would hurt to put on all high e's as long as nothing is tuned higher than high e.

usually when people refer to a jangly sound, its a 12 string electric, like a rickenbacker. I'm not really familiar with any music from either of the bands you mentioned, so no help there.

El_Goodo
04-04-2006, 12:07 AM
6th strings for each string???

You know the bottom string, lol I've been playing guitar for about six years now and I still get confused with Low E and High E, because the Low E is the thinner one is it not? When really it should be called the High E because of it's sound, it's confusing alright. But what I mean is to string your guitar using only the thinnest string for were all the other string's would normally go. Do you understand...it's harder to explain than I thought.

pfc_mike
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
the low E is the fattest string

El_Goodo
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Well then apparantley it's not confusing...and I meant the High E string haha.

thickasabrick
04-04-2006, 12:16 AM
You might be thinking of the string technique that is used to sort of emulate 12-string guitar sounds...like where you replace the bigger strings with small ones. I've read about it, but I don't remember the exact procedure (size of strings) to follow.

You could probably replace the 6th (E) and 4th (D) strings with a 1st (e) string...you'd keep it the same note on the E string (now two octaves higher) and tune the fourth string down to a D (an octave higher)...for the fifth string you could probably use your second string (usually a B) and just tune it back down to A (now an octave higher).

Remember: the fattest string is the 6th string, the thinnest string is the first string. The method I described my not be the 100% normal way that is commonly used, but it'll work. The best thing you can do is look up tabs for the songs that use this technique, and see if it explains it on the tab. I know Pink Floyd did that a few times for their acoustic rhythm guitars...and it happens all the time in country music.

Backdoor Man
04-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Do you mean Nashville Tuning? Thats replacing the bottom three wound strings with strings from a 12 string set and tuning them an octave higher.

REM get their jangle entirely from a Vox and a Rickenbacker, but a clean amp setting and single coil should get you close. The Byrds used to use a lot of compression to get their jangle, if you think the clean sound still lacks something try using compression and a bit of chorus.

thickasabrick
04-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah! Nashville tuning! I was way off. Haha.

Also: Smaller strings = generally increased jangle.

pfc_mike
04-04-2006, 01:21 AM
technically Nashville Tuning is:

1. taking a 12-string...
2. removing the skinniest string from each pair or couple (ex. the skinny low E, the skinny A, etc...)
3. string them up on a regular 6-string (you can leave them on the actual 12-4. string if you want)...
5. and putting them into Standard tuning...

guitarbaz
04-04-2006, 04:01 AM
what you need is some electronic trickery to make your 6 string sound like a 12.

oh yeah, that'll be a 12 string emulator.

there's a 12 string emulator patch on my magic stomp. can't say it sounds spectacularly 12 string like but it's cheaper that goin out and buying one and a lot easier than fannying around changing strings.

fenderfretfreak
04-04-2006, 05:40 AM
go get a double neck SG

Whatever
04-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Position 2 on a strat + VOX AC30+ Reverb =Jangle

The suggestions for different tunings are good as well.

motogrifo
04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Position 2 on a strat + VOX AC30+ Reverb =Jangle

The suggestions for different tunings are good as well.
The Edge

overturned
04-04-2006, 10:13 AM
The Edge
Thin and Crispy

guitarbaz
04-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Thin and Crispy

Deep Pan all the way.