PDA

View Full Version : The Future

mx
02-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey guys,

As most of you know, I am a university student (double major), and thus can't work on the site full time. This semester I have a lot more work than I've anticipated, and I've been neglecting it a bit for the site. But I'm going to have to tone back the site work - there will be less updates now, although I will work when I get the chance. It's just too hectic to put forth full effort in both school and the site.

That being said, here are things that are going to happen in the future (no particular timetable, but this is the rough order)

1) Upgraded Server - things have been slow lately, we're going to have to fix that.

2) Site Redesign - The dark look, although cool, does not work for a majority of monitors, which makes things hard to read (grey on grey). We'll be switching to a style reminiscent of mxtabs, with silver, dark grey, and red. However, the design will be more polished than mxtabs, and still retain the sputnik feel. Nothing will be lost. If I have time, I will include a skin switcher, so people can switch back to the old style if they prefer.

3) "Sputnik Musings" - Articles that you can write on music related stuff. These can be tagged as journals, which appear in your profile, or as articles, which appear on the main page and in an articles section. They can be commented on, and any references you make to a band will include the band link (ie wikipedia). A good place for you guys who like writing to contribute, and hopefully raising the level of the site

4) Customized lists - Make customizable album/song rankings viewable for all

That's all for now, it will be awhile before everything is implemented. Rest assured that stuff is being done, even if the apparent pace is slow for awhile.

Thanks guys, and thanks for making the sputnik site such a cool community

Jeremy

Jom
02-14-2006, 09:06 PM
You don't need to apologize for having a life, man. Double majoring is insane, especially in Big Red territory, haha. I give you a ton of credit for that and running this show and having that mysterious entity known as a 'girlfriend.'

I'll be sad about the color/style change, but I understand the decision for sure, and I'll acclimate quickly.

I'm looking forward to the new features as well.

But again, thanks for letting everyone know, but you don't need to justify yourself to everyone - Big Red in the hoooooooouse!

Shadows
02-14-2006, 11:08 PM
They truly are mysterious entities.

I'm excited about all of the future changes...except the style redesign. :( I really dig the black, and I absolutely loathed the silver. I understand the reasons for change though, so I can easily hold my tongue. :D :p

Storm In A Teacup
02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
It perfectly fine, J. You've already done a ton in the last couple of months, besides you shouldn't be apologizing to us, we should be thanking you.

Thank you.

innerdark
02-15-2006, 08:40 AM
hey, everyone has a life J, just some have more hectic ones, thanks for letting u know and good luck on the double major

Damrod
02-15-2006, 10:16 AM
I wondered why you updated here so often already... ;)

Good outlook on the future though, I'm excited about almost everything. Like Spat Out Plath stated, I would highly appreciate a skin changer, as I grew to love the current style and color scheme. The "musings" thing sounds interesting as well, all in all, very excited about those things :thumb:

But, set your priosities right, don't let studies drop too much because of the site

masada
02-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Will any of these changes involve a Michael J. Fox endorsement?

Shadows
02-15-2006, 10:33 PM
Oh god, mx doesn't have Parkinsons does he?