PDA

View Full Version : Memoirs of a Geisha

Riva
01-28-2006, 02:37 AM
I saw this movie today. Beautiful cinematography, amazing performances by all (though I think Ted Levine was a bit hammy as the Colonel), and I especially liked the gritty approach Rob Marshall took to the movie. At times it was almost too difficult to watch some of the scenes, because you were so entranced by the characters that you feared the next scene.

But yes, I really do recommend this movie to you all. Anyone else seen it?

Leukeh
01-28-2006, 03:11 AM
Apparently not...

Have you read the book? Its sposed to be heaps better++

I have done neither, but I'm intregued(sp?)

badtaste
01-28-2006, 03:23 AM
I'm pissed off that Ziyi Zhang, Michelle Yeoh and the Last Samurai dude are in it.

It's like they're the only Asian actors around. (Anyone who makes a joke about this will get their... urgh nevermind...)

Liberi Fatali
01-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Yes I thought it was a very good movie too, some very beautiful scenes.

One thing that bugs me though is how everyone has been lauding John Williams score for the movie. Personally I feel some of the soundtracks on mainstream Asian films by Asian composers like Tan Dun and Shigeru Umebayashi deserve just as much praise. But I guess when you put John Williams name behind a soundtrack, that tends to happen.

manuscriptreplica
01-28-2006, 06:47 AM
I really want to see this, the book is a favourite of mine.

Jawaharal
01-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I've heard it was awful from just about everyone I know =/

thunderzstruck
01-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I saw it new years eve with my exgirlfriend

she LOVED it i hated it.. just kinda too boring she said the book was really good too

gazzareth
01-28-2006, 10:33 AM
I thought the book was fantastic. It's pretty shocking that the main characters are all chinese. I've heard that many japanese people are boycotting it for this reason. Then again, I think a lot of japanese people disliked the book as well seeing as it was written by an american.

If the movie comes to the small town I live in I'll see it. This is highly unlikely though. I'm pretty sure that after reading the book, the movie would be disappointing.

comptonassrobert
01-28-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't remember much of the storyline but the main actress and her older sister that beat her up (I think it was her older sister) were beautiful.

Tillius
01-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I haven't really wanted to see this, but have heard good things from some people, so it may be worth a rental when it comes out.

Riva
01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes I thought it was a very good movie too, some very beautiful scenes.

One thing that bugs me though is how everyone has been lauding John Williams score for the movie. Personally I feel some of the soundtracks on mainstream Asian films by Asian composers like Tan Dun and Shigeru Umebayashi deserve just as much praise. But I guess when you put John Williams name behind a soundtrack, that tends to happen.

Ugh, the score was nothing memorable at all. Actually, parts of it were almost boring.

Apparently not...

Have you read the book? Its sposed to be heaps better++

I have done neither, but I'm intregued(sp?)

I've only read bits and pieces before hand. I'm going to read it cover to cover now though.

I've heard it was awful from just about everyone I know =/

Probably because your friends are American.

I thought the book was fantastic. It's pretty shocking that the main characters are all chinese. I've heard that many japanese people are boycotting it for this reason. Then again, I think a lot of japanese people disliked the book as well seeing as it was written by an american.

If the movie comes to the small town I live in I'll see it. This is highly unlikely though. I'm pretty sure that after reading the book, the movie would be disappointing.

Yeah, I noticed that almost all the main characters were Chinese. But that's probably because movies like Crouching Tiger and Hero have shot the Chinese actors into the mainstream more quickly than actors from other Asian countries.

And I'm that way with book adaptions too, but you might as well give it a shot.

gazzareth
01-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Yeah, I noticed that almost all the main characters were Chinese. But that's probably because movies like Crouching Tiger and Hero have shot the Chinese actors into the mainstream more quickly than actors from other Asian countries.

And I'm that way with book adaptions too, but you might as well give it a shot.
I won't say I'm not tempted. But I lived in japan for 4 years (and hope to there again) - I'm concerned that the movie will come across as being very chinese and perhaps ruin the book for me.

Riva
01-29-2006, 05:09 PM
I won't say I'm not tempted. But I lived in japan for 4 years (and hope to there again) - I'm concerned that the movie will come across as being very chinese and perhaps ruin the book for me.

I'm no expert, but I do think they managed to pay a lot of attention to detail, and ensure it remained Japanese.