PDA

View Full Version : So.....Coffee stunts the growth in your legs, and that's bad bass technique!!!

LittlePound
01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
So...anyways, i read on a post somewheres by some new noob (very intelligent and dedicated to drumming i might say though) and he mentioned something about using the hihat as part of the rhythm rather than just a time keeper(very developed thought for a noob). Well i've always thought about this and haven't gotten off my lazy butt to do it. So anyways i'm going to try some stuff ,(obviously accents and stuff) but also you know putting a triplet feel to it by playing every 3 16th notes or something but if you guys don't mind post some ideas of some beats that i could work on...
thanks again

poppinfresh
01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
haha, i do this all the time. ill try to get you a recording some times. its also possible to make a rhythm on the highat and have a steady snare every 2 and 4 or whatever. practice your paraddidles. i also do this things with ghostnotes on a snare and paraddidles as a beat ith snare drum and hgihat everyonece in a while as a time keeper. theres a lot more that you could do. i also like to keep time on the ride and throw in a double or a double and an accent on the hsoulder of the hat then a snare.

aznriceball
01-12-2006, 09:17 PM
bah ur thread title had me goin. espresso shots are more frequent than my meals

LittlePound
01-12-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah i often play on the ride and do hi hat lifts and stuff with my left hand, but it's not a concept i can aply to music yet, just when i'm fooling around so i'm looking at getting better at it

Jezen
01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I was gonna say:

"Oh right, so DBJ is actually slim and well figured, it's just his stunted legs that disillusion him".

LittlePound
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
i've explained it before, i come up with creative titles to suck people in so i can get quiker answers

Tillmon
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Tony Williams always did this in his earlier years of drumming. You almost never hear the high-hat except as a part of a fill or rhythm he's playing. But then in his later years he moved to the complete opposite side of that spectrum by laying down the hat on every beat, haha.

poppinfresh
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
ill try to get a recording for you as soon as possible, but i think it will be a week because of finals. but it will help you get started. try some paradiddle grooves on the snare with rolls and things. heavily incorporate dynamics to create a feel.

LittlePound
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
yeah i know that by adding accents to every other eigth note on the hihat can make a beat groove like a mofo, just by doing that...i'll experiment, thanks agian, and more posts are welcomed

poppinfresh
01-12-2006, 09:29 PM
no, its better not to put accents in certain places. let it come naturally. just tap with your hands on your thigh using accents and you will develop patterns because it forces you to be more creative. use doubles and paraddidles. try to get two hands on the highat, make a groove there insted of keeping time. this is kind of an example but its not exactly what i mean, but it shows the kind of highat groove im talking about. its the first one. www.soundclick.com/poppinfresh

Kosmos Tree
01-13-2006, 05:21 AM
Listen to Carter Beauford, that should give you ideas for ages.
Also remember: that it's not what you play, it's how you play it.

Corkofski
01-13-2006, 10:56 AM
i use the hat in fills, and also in beats.

gives a nice accent

EDIT: i pased 500, and didnt notice!

Wizz
01-13-2006, 11:51 AM
I do this all the time when i'm playing on the ride. But i just start doing it by accident , and i tought it was pretty cool so now i do it all the time.

It's very nice to fill up gapps and get accents wich don't seem to be there and stuff

Edit : i past 1.000 and i didn't notice neither

Chameleon
01-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Listen to Carter Beauford, that should give you ideas for ages.

Absolutely, Beauford is a monster with this sort of stuff!

I like to do it as much as I can with my current band, here's a clip if anybody's interested: http://funkshake.com/clipsicle.mp3

Panopticon
01-14-2006, 03:16 AM
^^^That was extremely good and interesting...<3 funk

Chameleon
01-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks mate :) It's nice to be called funk...it's what we aim for, but we're not quite there yet I don't think...at least you picked up on what we were going for. Oh, and the web address might have helped :lol: