PDA

View Full Version : Snare Question- Please Reply Quickly!

ytsedrummer
12-29-2005, 11:52 AM
On the last day of school before the holidays, another drummer in my music class told me that tuning the snare too tight may warp your snare. I told him that that was bull**** because I tune my snare as tight as all the lugs can go (it gives me a tight "pop" sound, kinda like Martin Lopez's sound on Ghost Reveries) and my snare is fine.

Well I'm cleaning my kit right now and I notice that on the rim of the snare, there are very tiny curves (that's the only way I can put it) so I'm pertty pissed off right now and I was wondering if the snare CAN warp and what should I do about my snare.

And if anybody's wondering, I have a Tama Stagestar. The snare is a 13" Steel.

Thanks in advance!

Drum Monkey
12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
you'll have to give a more detailed explanation of the curves, or a pic...

I know my rims have dents from hitting them, so it could be that but IMO your snare should be able to stand that kind of tuning...

-DM

Janeway
12-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Sure you aren't just looking at the snare bed?

Panopticon
12-29-2005, 12:03 PM
the tension of a snare head could not POSSIBLY warp the drum (at least not it's rim) because the tension isnt on the outside...its on the edge...it could only possibly warp the edges...not the circumference...

Jezen
12-29-2005, 01:16 PM
You shouldn't have it that tight anyway.

ytsedrummer
12-29-2005, 01:45 PM
^why?

Drum Monkey
12-29-2005, 02:40 PM
well you risk piercing it...

-DM

pauloz!
12-29-2005, 05:23 PM
i have it close to that tight and my snare is fine

Brokensticks
12-29-2005, 05:30 PM
You shouldn't have it that tight anyway.

Exactly

Dyers EvE
12-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I've heard that the snares being too tight may.. `choke` the drum.. but not necessarily warp it, according to Eric Whatshisface. And British Boy is right, you shouldn't have them that tight to begin with, especially if you play heavier music. You need the sound to be more.. like.. Loud, full, warm.. A really quick sound that can barely be recognized over a ton of cymbals, or one good crash sploosh, isn't what you're going for.. I'd hope.

pauloz!
12-29-2005, 07:42 PM
I've heard that the snares being too tight may.. `choke` the drum.. but not necessarily warp it, according to Eric Whatshisface. And British Boy is right, you shouldn't have them that tight to begin with, especially if you play heavier music. You need the sound to be more.. like.. Loud, full, warm.. A really quick sound that can barely be recognized over a ton of cymbals, or one good crash sploosh, isn't what you're going for.. I'd hope.

^^^ Aren't we talking about the batter snare head?? NOT the snare wires!!

Why is it bad to have the top snare head that tight??

Josiah
12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
You can destroy a drum by over torquing the head.

In fact, it can be done fairly easily if you don't know what you are doing.

"As tight as they can go"

Is not tuning a snare, that's just being dumb. And yes, cranking the head down as tight as it can go WILL damage the snare.

From blowing recievers out, cracking lug casings, warping the rims, bearing edges and flat out cracking or imploding the shell.

Neil Peart used to implode shells from using ultra high tunings, DW had to make special reneforced shells so he could crank them as high as he wantted.

There is absolutely no reason to tension a head on a normal snare so tight, you're just choking the life out of it. Most likely ruining the edges, warping the rims and run a high risk of cracking the shell.

Esspeccially considering your snare is a cheap one, I'd knock that off in a big way with the quickness.

ytsedrummer
12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks a million, guys!

Dyers EvE
12-29-2005, 08:52 PM
^^^ Aren't we talking about the batter snare head?? NOT the snare wires!!

Why is it bad to have the top snare head that tight??

A little extra info never hurt. Sorry.

Anyway, on my first set, when I tightened down my snarehead as tight as possible, because I liked the sound, the lug, the metal piece snapped down inside of the lug casing and broke the insides of it, to the point there was no fixing it (by myself) and I was (still am) too cheap to go have it replaced, if that's even possible.

crazyguy832
12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
A little extra info never hurt. Sorry.

Anyway, on my first set, when I tightened down my snarehead as tight as possible, because I liked the sound, the lug, the metal piece snapped down inside of the lug casing and broke the insides of it, to the point there was no fixing it (by myself) and I was (still am) too cheap to go have it replaced, if that's even possible.
That happened to me while I was trying to get my Evans Hydraulic to sound good.

:rolleyes:

You can go to any store and get a replacement lug, though, man... for, like, 3-4 bucks.

Mr. Pennywhistle
12-30-2005, 03:24 AM
If it's a cheap snare using 1.6mm (and in some cases a 2.3mm) hoop then tight tuning can cause the hoop to warp. It sounds like that may have happened in your case.

Wizz
12-30-2005, 03:49 AM
I still want a picture

Aaron
12-30-2005, 05:09 AM
i have a rogers that the shell has bent inwards from it around one lug. the shell is 5mm of beaded-steel. trust me, don't overtune.

ytsedrummer
12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I just loosened the snare but haven't played yet, though I will later on. So is my snare o.k until I get a new one or is the smare ruined for life?

Dyers EvE
12-30-2005, 12:18 PM
That happened to me while I was trying to get my Evans Hydraulic to sound good.

:rolleyes:

You can go to any store and get a replacement lug, though, man... for, like, 3-4 bucks.

It actually sold for $20, somebody really needed it, rotf..

I just loosened the snare but haven't played yet, though I will later on. So is my snare o.k until I get a new one or is the smare ruined for life?

I suppose the snare is fine, but if you are having a lot of trouble with it, take it to a music shop and just tell them it needs to be fixed, usually they can spot the problem pretty easy.

Loyton
12-30-2005, 01:15 PM
You dont want a "choked" snare sound. Check out this, itll help you alot. I can assure you martin lopez doesnt just crank all his lugs for that sound.....

here.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Jezen
12-30-2005, 01:27 PM

Take some pictures for us..

Talos
12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
I have my snare batter very tight and its fine. I dont undrstand what youre asking though, thoroughly anyway.

spike9908
12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
for that "pop" sound your talking about, you should get a smaller snare. like, a pacific 805(6x10 or something like that). there is no need to have a snare as tight as it goes. it can do damage to the shell.

Aaron
12-30-2005, 07:04 PM
^i agree. you cant make a big snare sound small, and you cant make a wood snare sound metal, and you cant make a cat into a dog.. things are what they are, play them for that.

drumindave
12-30-2005, 07:39 PM
What exactly is the snare bed. Can you even see it I know it is what allow the snares to lie against the head but still dont get it?

Aaron
12-30-2005, 07:46 PM
its how part of the bottom edge is cut, i believe.

Double Bass Jim
12-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Neil Peart used to implode shells from using ultra high tunings, DW had to make special reneforced shells so he could crank them as high as he wantted.

Haha he sure did, thats why he's sticking with DW no one else made em the same way for him.