PDA

View Full Version : CH Guitars - 6 string Model

Linkinbassist
12-25-2005, 01:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Linkinbassist/IMG_0729.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Linkinbassist/IMG_0730.jpg

Price - 130, Ebay (usually 185 BIN)

Factory set-up: 9/10

It came to me with a perfectly straight neck and very nice action. highly playable out the box (after a quick tune-up of course. It came tuned in perfect flats!). I made a small adjustment to the C string height (with the supplied allan keys), cause it was slightly too low for me. Other than that it was good to go.

Playability: 8.5/10

The neck is very flat, which helps with...everything. frets are highly consistent (no bumpy frets, mislayed frets etc), being of a medium fret size. its a bit wieghty, at the same weight as my fender, but i can handle that. The bass is very well ballanced, with little to no neck dive. Its comfy in a band situation, with easy upper fret access for high fills and solos.

Electronics: 8.5/10

the pickups are passive jazzes, and they feel fairly solid. No loose wires, Pots are solid on the body. As i say, they are passive, so room for improvement there. Otherwise, a sexy sizzle from the 'leccies. They hold up quite well even with a heavy beating.

Tone: 9/10

the pickups are passive jazzes, and i expected to be unsatisfied with the tone. Nuh-uh, the tonal range it very impressive. I can go from juicy growl to punchy ping in a turn of a knob. I love it! as good as it is, there is always room for improvement. Aguilar pre-amp, anyone? i tried the bass out with my band and they pumped out some crazy tones, and the slap tones is studio quality, with a slightly bassy miller tone to it. Also, they are quite nice slightly overdriven, with a thick feel to any tone from Jaco to Dirk-like tones.

Hardware: 9/10

the bridge is a bit chunky and lack-luster, i may end up replacing that later next year if i feel its not holding up. Waht i am impressed with is the machine heads. These pegs are tight but smooth, meaning highly accurate tuning. They hold tuning well also, meaning i could pound the crap out of the strings and it would be in tune after an hour of that crap-bashing. i've proved this today. 3 hours, and still in tune even after lying the headstock down of the floor and on pillows...Unbelievable.

Overall: 9.5/10

Its a great bass, with decent/excellent hardware and a great range of tones. I'm also really diggin' the finish (Quilted maple top...mmm...) and the feel of the neck. the only drawbacks are the weight, which is about that of a fender P-bass, and the access to the 24th fret. this, though, i can handle with some hand position tweaking. If you are looking to get into the 6 string market, but can't shell out for a mid-range Yamaha/spector, this is most definitely for you. I've found it to be so versatile in a band situation, with the tones generated slipping in well with my bands overall sound. the neck is great to play, and it plays so well.

here is the bass in action!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Linkinbassist/IMG_0805.jpg

Killer Fridge
12-25-2005, 01:50 PM
isnt it a bit hasty putting a review up to something you havent even had 24 hours?

Jamie
12-25-2005, 03:54 PM
isnt it a bit hasty putting a review up to something you havent even had 24 hours?

I was thinking that too...

I'm sure he could always update it at a later point though :)

Nice review, I think i'll write my own to add to this thread later too

Jody LeCompte
12-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Man

You look so different with the hair

Alma
12-26-2005, 04:01 AM
lol! So he does Jody...

Ah, what hair can do to your looks...

Linkinbassist
12-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Man

You look so different with the hair

yeah, my hair grew...a lot...

Question!
12-26-2005, 01:40 PM
I got this bass for christmas (Although I got it 3 weeks or so before as an early preseant). It's a great bass :thumb: