PDA

View Full Version : Making a Decision and Album Poll

DepthsOfDreams555
12-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay this is a serious thread and I hope that people won't give me gay responses. I wanted to post this in here because I am friends with most of you and I know most of you will give me good solid responses. I am starting to play an instrument. My friend Nick plays the guitar and my friend Andy is getting a bass and I really want to start playing either the guitar or drums not bass. But I am in a dillemma. At first I wanted to play the drums but the drums are expensive, so I was planning on starting to play the guitar. But then I was thinking that I am really not sure what I want to do.

So I would like people to let me know a couple things:

1. What your instrument of choice is out of those two
2. If you play one of them, the difficulty of the instrument.(I will be of course getting lessons but I always think that I won't be able to do things with my hands and feet when playing the drums)
3. What you think my decision should be.

I am also not backed by my parents with money at all. I will have to purchase what I decide. I am prolly gunna get around 75 bucks for Christmas from my moms side and thats all the money I am getting. That isn't close to enough for any kind of drums, Guitar Center is having a HUGE sale though. And it isn't even enough for a bad guitar haha but I'm sure my parents would pay and let me pay them back.

In other news I am dying my hair black and I am planning on piercing my lip up again. I am doing it myself once again and this time I would actually enjoy keeping it at least for longer then my last one which was like a week and a half. So I know some people have their lips pierced. What should I use to clean it? Should I buy something?

Also so this thread doesn't get closed down for some reason. Which band do you think will release the best album in 2006?
Taking Back Sunday
Brand New
Thursday

Thanks to everyone that helps me out.

Mute Print
12-23-2005, 03:49 PM
I just started to play guitar a couple months ago. I've taken ten lessons so far, and it isn't too difficult. Some things take a while to learn, but nothing too bad. As long as you are taking lessons, you'll be fine.

If you plan on starting a band at some point with the friends you mentioned, obviously guitar would be the better choice since two basses makes no sense. However, in general, bands are more likely to need a bassist than guitarist becasue so many people play guitar, so that is something you may want to keep in mind.

The idea of self-piercing makes me cringe. Ugh.

And I think Brand New is going to have the best release out of the three bands listed, simply because they have the most range in their music, and they could go in so many directions wth the new album. Their album could be the best release in quite a while.

Excursions
12-23-2005, 03:49 PM
1. Bass, it's better than both those other two.
2. It's easier to play than the other two.
3. Get a bass.

I don't know yet, possibly the album Mike Watt is doing but im not sure on the details.

Firecracker
12-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Guitar:
+ They're quite cheap to get hold of, and learning isn't that hard.
+ It's a good thing to play and most people do it
- If you want to get good you have to practice loads, just like anything else really

Bass:
+ It's relatively cheap like a guitar
+ It's quite easy to play if you want to play standardly, but it gets harder if you want to be good, but you can get away with being bad.
+ There aren't that many bassists compared to guitarists, and you can most of the time get into a band playing bass.
- The strings are expensive
- You have to make the choice of using a pick or fingers, you can get nasty blisters with fingers but it sounds better.

Fish
12-23-2005, 03:51 PM
hey zach, you should definately go for the guitar over drums. I have both at my house, and when you don't have your band over or somebody else, you can't really play much on the drums without it sounding a little plain and annoying. But you can always pick up your guitar and start playing a tune from any band, and have people sing along or enjoy it more. Also since money is part of the issue, thats another check for the guitar. It will be alot cheaper then the drum set, and if the place by you is having a sale then thats even better. Personally I like playing the guitar alot more, you have so much more you can do while making songs. Now overall it IS up to you, but I say go for the guitar, and learn all of Claudio's tunes :p

Firecracker
12-23-2005, 03:53 PM
And i think Taking Back Sunday's album will be better, because i don't listen to the other bands.

EDIT: I mean Brand New i listen to, but TBS will win.

Untitled
12-23-2005, 03:56 PM
When i got my lip pierced, the piecers said i coulf buy something, or just get a glass of salt water, and swill it around my mouth, and get a cotton bud or something and swab the outside of it, that keeps it clean. Thats what i need, its cheep, tastes awefull, but its only for a few minutes.

I did it every morning, and before bed. I two and gonna re-pierce my lip, but im a big girl and im paying someone to do it.

Gnarmageddon
12-23-2005, 04:05 PM
1. I play both, but I'd go with a bass unless you want to buy an acoustic guitar. (drums > both by far though)

2. Bass isn't hard at all. It's pretty much a matter of getting your hands strong enough to hold down the frets and maneuver, learning how to coordinate your fingers for picking and learning the notes on the fretboard. On guitar you have all kinds of crazy chords to learn and stuff.

3. Go with the bass.

4. Go to a piercing place and ask. They could recommend you something to clean it with. Or I've heard warm salt water helps a lot.

5. All three should be good, but I'm gonna go with TBS.

DepthsOfDreams555
12-23-2005, 04:06 PM
Well everyone I kind of worded that wrong. I am not getting a bass. I don't really feel like playing bass. I am either getting drums or guitar. I am not sure yet. Thank you Butler thats exactly what I needed! Thank you soooo much for your contributions guys they are helping a ton!

Fish
12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
hey I got it right :p

Firecracker
12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Don't get drums.
You have to pay something like 150 for a decent set of hi-hats, and 100 for a crash cymbal, and a decent kit is about 300.
I have drums, but they're a bitch to keep up, new skins on all the drums is about 80, the bass skin for mine is Remo Weatherking, 48.
Snares are bloody expensive too. A good Pearl signature is about 149.

DepthsOfDreams555
12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Ya I could totally see how people will confuse it though. Sorry guys.

Don't get drums.
You have to pay something like 150 for a decent set of hi-hats, and 100 for a crash cymbal, and a decent kit is about 300.
I have drums, but they're a bitch to keep up, new skins on all the drums is about 80, the bass skin for mine is Remo Weatherking, 48.
Snares are bloody expensive too. A good Pearl signature is about 149.

I have no clue how to measure that money.

HomeCatMickey8
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Guitar is extremely fun once you get past the basics. I've never played drums, but I can't imagine playing a basic rock beat over and over again.

Tim has a better idea. Get a guitar and learn how to play that then get a DRUM MACHINE (that's right Spence, your kind can be replaced by a box with some buttons on it, whatcha gonna do?). They're like $170 and the most loveliest things if you have friends that think they're black and have sick rhymes.

I personally started with bass then went to guitar. Then after guitar I've moved onto keyboards. I wish I would've taken piano when I was a little lad.

But yeah, your best bet is probably getting a $150 Squire Strat and a $50 10 watt amp.

I think Brand New and Thursday's releases are gonna be ****ing fantastic. TBS's will just be fantastic... No ****ing for TBS.

Firecracker
12-23-2005, 04:39 PM
I have no clue how to measure that money.
150 = $261
100 = $174
300 = $522
48 = $84

HomeCatMickey8
12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
WHOA!! I didn't know ther was that much of a difference in our currecnies.

Fish
12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
trust me and go with the guitar, you'll be happy you did

HomeCatMickey8
12-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, you can't make love to drums...

I forgot to mention that improv is 80,000 times better on guitar than it is on drums. I've never improved on drums, but I love to improv on guitar, even though I suck.

Or you could get a harmonica, they're only like $5 plus a $10 instruction book.:thumb: :smash: :rolleyes:

Untitled
12-23-2005, 04:50 PM
WHOA!! I didn't know ther was that much of a difference in our currecnies.
Yeah, theres been times in the past year that 1 = $2.

The pounds been quite strong next to the doller recently

Fish
Yeah, you can't make love to drums...

my point exactly

Firecracker
Improvising on the piano is better ACTUALLY.

Fish
12-23-2005, 04:51 PM

oh ya, I heard some of your stuff on PV, its good :thumb:

Untitled
12-23-2005, 04:52 PM
OMG, jools hollands. When he starts to improvise, ahh, he's a god.

Firecracker
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
oh ya, I heard some of your stuff on PV, its good :thumb:
Thankyou. :)

I'm glad someone has had the decency to look. :):)

Butler: I haven't had the pleasure of hearing. :-/

DepthsOfDreams555
12-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks for translating the currency.

I just don't know I have wanted to play the drums for a while. It is a really hard decision. You guys are helping a ton though I will prolly end up going for a guitar for money reasons.

Untitled
12-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Thankyou. :)

I'm glad someone has had the decency to look. :):)

Butler: I haven't had the pleasure of hearing. :-/
Realy? Do you never watch the Jools Holland show, and stuff, he's a god, i amire him, he's so absolutly brillient on piano.

HomeCatMickey8
12-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks for translating the currency.

I just don't know I have wanted to play the drums for a while. It is a really hard decision. You guys are helping a ton though I will prolly end up going for a guitar for money reasons.
You just want to be a drummer because the rumor that they're more prone to get laid... right? I bet it's not true...

DepthsOfDreams555
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
You just want to be a drummer because the rumor that they're more prone to get laid... right? I bet it's not true...

No haha I'm fine I have a girlfriend.....I don't know why I just have wanted to play the drums. Not saying I'm not going to like the guitar. I know I will but I just have wanted to play the drums.

FauxApathy
12-23-2005, 06:13 PM
I play bass drums and guitar.

In my personal experience, Bass is the easiest to learn, Drums are the most fun, and guitar sucks, but it's cheaper than the previous two.

Since I'm so used to playing bass, Guitar is insanely hard for me to play. The strings seem so small and I always hit the wrong notes. If you've never played bass before, you'll probably be fine though.

Personally, In your situation I'd go with Drums over a guitar, but You'll have to probably use every cent you get from christmas.

CommieCanada
12-23-2005, 06:30 PM
well... I think guitar is an easier instrument to just start playing. Drums are more expensive, but since there are so few drummers around, if you get really good you can pretty much join any band you want to be in.

Guitar is easy, but Drums are more worth it in the long run

I think Thursday will release a brilliant record

The_Red_Death
12-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Since I'm so used to playing bass, Guitar is insanely hard for me to play. The strings seem so small and I always hit the wrong notes. If you've never played bass before, you'll probably be fine though.

Really? I played bass for a year and a half before I got my guitar, and I still play both and have no trouble switching between the two.

But anyway, some pros and cons of each:

Guitar
Cheap
Easy to start out on
Easy to transport
Depending on the guitar you get, it may not be as versatile as you'd like
Can get boring at times (much like any instrument)
If you take lessons, there can be a lot to learn
A good amp can be quite costly
Can cost a lot in the long run, if you plan on upgrading
Can be difficult to find a band

Drums
Incredibly fun to play
You don't need an amp or anything like that (unless you're playing a big venue, in which case you'll be mic'd usually.)
There's a huge demand for drummers (here, anyway)
Fucking expensive (initial cost)
Hard to transport

Ultimately, it's really up to you to choose which instrument you think is best for you. Hope I've helped though.

EDIT: Also, I think the Brand New album is going to be fantastic. Maybe not as good as Deja Entendu, but still a good album. As far as TBS goes, they have nowhere to go but up.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Play the guitar, it's more interesting, and fun imo.

And wtf does the last part have to do with it ?:lol:

tbs

DepthsOfDreams555
12-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Play the guitar, it's more interesting, and fun imo.

And wtf does the last part have to do with it ?:lol:

tbs

Nothing I was just putting music discussion into the thread.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Erm, ok :-/

Firecracker
12-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Realy? Do you never watch the Jools Holland show, and stuff, he's a god, i amire him, he's so absolutly brillient on piano.
Never have. :(

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 10:56 AM
JH is awesome.

Firecracker
12-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I bet he's not as good as that guy who plays the Bach stuff.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Why would you get a bass coz it's easier ?

Get a guitar because it's more challenging, interesting and you can do more with it.

Untitled
12-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I bet he's not as good as that guy who plays the Bach stuff.
He is.

He's been playing since he was 4 or something, he's in his 50's at least now, he is a god on that thing.

Firecracker
12-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Baroque piano, can't get any better.
Fast as fucking fuck

Oz Rembrandt
12-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Get a guitar because it's more challenging, interesting and you can do more with it.

Your Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 12:01 PM
I'm not, your just biassed.

Pazz
12-24-2005, 12:04 PM
1. I would say start with guitar and maybe get a drum set in a couple of years when you have more money. Drums can help your timing a lot with guitar. So I suggest learning them both.
2. I play drums, well atleast try to. I need to play them a lot more because I'm garbageat them. Playing them can get really hard because you need to be able to have your feet doing one thing and your hands doing another. That's the only reason it's hard.
3. The decision is solely up to you.

The_Red_Death
12-24-2005, 01:24 PM
It really annoys me when people say bass is easier than guitar. Bass can either be simple, or incredibly challenging, and anywhere in between. Same goes with guitar. An instrument is as hard as you make it

Angry Balled Fists!
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
Yes, but at the absolute top level, the guitarist is more skilled and on the whole the bass is easier.

The_Red_Death
12-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Yes, but at the absolute top level, the guitarist is more skilled and on the whole the bass is easier.

Actually, from what I've heard from many people, bass is easier to start out with and harder to master, whereas guitar is more difficult to start out with. Its hard to compare though, because despite some similarities, they're ultimately two different instruments, and at the top level the techniques vary a lot. You don't see many guitarists doing slap and pop, and doublethumb (save for maybe Jason King) and very few bassists shredding (fretwanking) except Billy Sheehan and a few others.

cobert
12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Sorry, i didnt read much of the thread past the first post, but ill say go against everyone's post i read and say drums (even though bass is better than both). Even though theyre expensive, thats all you need to make a band right now, and drums are incredibly easy. But you said you dont know if youll be able to play drums, so i guess that makes the decision harder. In that case, you might want to go with guitar. Its cheaper, and its not hard to learn, no matter what anyone else says. Actually, i have no clue what you should get, im just blabbering and making no sense.

I hope thursdays new album will be amazing, i personally think taking back sundays album will be a mess of pop, and brand news will be the entire band trying too hard to write deja entendu part deux. Im actually listening to thursday right now.

"....the day looked so bright
in the pictures
in the photo album that you gave me...."

Pure awxome.

Firecracker
12-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Play something which sounds lush but is incredibly easy.
Playing the piano, chord in the left, weird tune in the right, and just add sustain pedal, and you have the most beautiful thing.

Oz Rembrandt
12-24-2005, 02:33 PM

I'd say people like Les Claypool or Stu Hamm are more talented than alot of top guitarists.

cobert
12-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, im not touching this 'which position is more talented' argument.

Oz Rembrandt
12-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Its an old argument, I think we should steer clear now. Sorry...

Get Fighted
12-24-2005, 02:59 PM
DONT get Guitar. I play drums at my dads house and they are so fun to play and learning the basics was quite easy. I play guitar as my main instrument and it can be really boring at times mainly because

Everyone plays it
There is a lot to learn
And it all sounds very similiar
It is too easy

If you be creative with drums you can get really cool beats and if you are a beginner you can get alright sets for around 200.

cobert
12-24-2005, 03:05 PM
And if you're creative with guitar you can make very interesting music.

Drums tend to sound more similar than guitar because you have a limited number of things to play on drums, where on guitar you have all of the notes, you can bend notes, distortion, and a ton of different chords.

DepthsOfDreams555
12-25-2005, 07:35 AM
Well I just got an XBX 360 for Christmas and I'm selling this mess on Ebay so money is no longer an object for me haha.

Firecracker
12-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Who said guitar is easy?