PDA

View Full Version : Industrial

repcak
12-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Anyone who is into Industrial music?
...don't want to talk about NIN (we can discuss if he is still industrial or not) - what i want know is: who is listening

Throbbing Gristle
Cabaret Voltaire
Skinny Puppy
Einstürzende Neubauten
Ministry

I've got into Industrial through NIN, although he isn't 100% industrial (the most industrial album will be Pretty Hate Machine). Afterwards i discovered Ministry (though Ministry is more Industrial-Metal, than Industrial) and right now i listen to Skinny Puppys album Bite and i like it... its strange, but its good.

for everyone who don't know what industrial is, click here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music)

King_Of_Terrors
12-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I've never heard any of those bands. But wouldn't that Tool band be industrial also? From what I heard from my friends...

repcak
12-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Tool, industrial? never... no way

edit.: forgot to mention that Ministrys album "Psalm 69" is one of my all time favourites albums out there... i'm sure it would be found on my personal top 10 list; so if anyone want to check out Ministry, i recommend Psalm 69!

King_Of_Terrors
12-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh...ok. I don't know much on Industrial, what are some good albums for people starting to get into the genre?

Broken Angels
12-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Oh...ok. I don't know much on Industrial, what are some good albums for people starting to get into the genre?
Anything by NIN should give you a decent idea of Industrial, more specificly try "The Fragile" or "The Downward Spiral". Other than that try anything by KMFDM or Skinny Puppy for Industrial or anything by Ministry for Industrial Metal.

heavy metal kid
12-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah NIN isn't a 100% industrial, it's more like an alternative artist, although "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Industrial Music" are pretty much industrial.

I love Ministry, imo they are the best Industrial metal band.
Also, i have a question, does Type O Negative is Industrial?

The_Shredder
12-16-2005, 07:54 PM
T-Rez is just about my favorite musician ever, and hes not what I call Industrial. He even thinks calling NIN music "industrial" is a bit silly.

Broken Angels
12-16-2005, 08:01 PM
T-Rez is just about my favorite musician ever, and hes not what I call Industrial. He even thinks calling NIN music "industrial" is a bit silly.
Even Trent thinks that calling NIN Industrial is stupid.

GenuineImitation
12-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Im not the biggest NiN fan, but when they started out, werent they more industrial than now?

The_Shredder
12-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Im not the biggest NiN fan, but when they started out, werent they more industrial than now?

No.

Pretty Hate Machine is an angry Depeche Mode album.

Pretty Hate Machine is "synth pop".

Broken is basically a Metal album..

And The Downward Spiral.. is.. Well, just brilliant.

King_Of_Terrors
12-16-2005, 08:23 PM
No.

Pretty Hate Machine is an angry Depeche Mode album.

Pretty Hate Machine is "synth pop".

Broken is basically a Metal album..

And The Downward Spiral.. is.. Well, just brilliant.

What?

Super Nintendo
12-16-2005, 08:23 PM
isn't rammstein industrial too? i really like rammstein

heavy metal kid
12-16-2005, 08:25 PM

Yes, there was an an EP or Demo called Industrial Music, that was before the PWM, the songs on it are basically Industrial.

GenuineImitation
12-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Ministry and Rammstein are two good Industrial bands. What are some other good ones I should check out?

omgwtfboogie
12-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah NIN isn't a 100% industrial, it's more like an alternative artist, although "Pretty Hate Machine" and "Industrial Music" are pretty much industrial.

I love Ministry, imo they are the best Industrial metal band.
Also, i have a question, does Type O Negative is Industrial?
Type O is goth/doom metal.

KMFDM
Skinny Puppy
Ministry
Pig
MDFMK

For me.

PepsiMetal
12-16-2005, 09:31 PM
I listen to fear factory and american head charge who I believe are/were/etc. industrial. Also sometimes listen to some Type O Negative, who I was also told was heavily inspired by industrial music.

The_Shredder
12-16-2005, 09:53 PM
What?

Ever heard Violator? Ever heard Black Celebration?

Strip the vocals from Pretty Hate Machine (aside from Head like a Hole) and throw in David Gahan and you've got yourself a Depeche Mode album.

Riva
12-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm moving this to Other Music guys.

Jawaharal
12-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Opium Jukebox are cool.

Werny
12-17-2005, 01:35 AM
Anything by NIN should give you a decent idea of Industrial, more specificly try "The Fragile" or "The Downward Spiral".

The Downward Spiral is way too artsy-fartsy to be a good introduction to the genre (one of the best albums ever though). And The Fragile is hardly an Industrial record. Listen to We're In This Together Now, The Fragile, Complication, La Mer, Starfarkers Inc., etc. and see how Industrial it feels then.

I love most NIN, but yeah Broken and The Downward Spiral are really the only Industrial things he's done, except maybe a few tracks on The Fragile (mmm Somewhat Damaged).

Now... Ministry I love. Ministry I will always love. MMM MINISTRY. Although Houses of the Mole is hardly Industrial, it's still cool. All hail Animositisomina.

Other good bands I've heard a few songs by; Machines of Loving Grace (yeah, pop, I know, but their last record was Industrial... whatever its name was), My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, KMFDM, Rammstein (even though they're a blatant rip-off of Ministry)...

And how could no one mention the delightfully homoerotic COIL!?

Doctor Night
12-17-2005, 05:20 AM
Could Pink Floyd be considered industrial?

repcak
12-17-2005, 05:35 AM
Could Pink Floyd be considered industrial?

:amaze: .... :smash:

:upset:

to everyone: Progressive rock/metal IS NOT Industrial

deadinholywood
12-17-2005, 08:57 AM
can someone suggest some good KMFDM songs? ive been looking to get into them for a while.

asdf
12-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I've listened to Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubauten and I've heard of skinny puppy and KMFDM, but other than that my knowledge of industrial is non existent.

Anyone heard of SPK? When someone was recomending me industrial this was one of the bands I listened to for a bit. Not exactly sure if they're industrial.

left
12-17-2005, 12:23 PM
ok, another topic i`ll enjoy, but not now, as i gotta run to an absinthe party night :D

anyhow, considering the fact that i really like Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and such, many PE artists (Whitehouse and such) i`ll be back with a more choherent message. Still, i believe that there was a similar topic around here somewhere. Oh, and i posted a long message in which i also mentioned many many things about industrial, you might wanna check it out : http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10602619&postcount=13

you also might check the thread.

cheers :)

IAJP
12-17-2005, 12:37 PM
You should check out Gary Numan's later stuff, it's great, he went industrial / goth metal.

Sleeper
12-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I listen to Industrial Metal like Fear Factory.

Pale-Folklore
12-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Ministry are the best industrial/metal band, i've got the land of rape and honey, twitch, and psalm 69!!!

can someone explain to me why [at least on my copy of] pslam 69 it doesn't say "psalm 69" anywhere on the album, just some weird symbols?

it's like:

K@#$# or some crap

That_Dude
12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Merzbow?

Delay Pedal Boy
12-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Merzbow?
That'd be noise music.

left
12-21-2005, 05:32 PM
try Dissecting Table if you like Merzbow. That would be the best industrial i ever heard. i believe i've reviewed an album here somewhere. I also started a thread on noise, but i cant find it anymore :)

anyhow, Noise is an independent musical style, do not confuse it with other stuff.