PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION! This is a serious thread

Kif
12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
OK, this is a serious discussion thread that I wanted to post up to get opinions on, and to hopefully strike up a bit of a discussion here in the forum. It's been a while, but whatever.

I'm posting it in the PP forum because it's a small community, and it's much easier to get answers that are half-arsed than in The Pit or Politics. Besides which, The Pit is full of morons.

So here's the question:

What would the recording industry have to do to make you buy every single album you download?

If you have bought every album you have downloaded, don't say it in here. It's uncecessary and makes you look like an ignorant retard.

Anyway, this is a discussion thread, so I want to hear your opinions on this.

Gnarmageddon
12-10-2005, 06:27 PM
They'd have to give me some money. Because that's why I don't buy albums. I'm poor.

Excursions
12-10-2005, 06:32 PM
They would actually have to sell the albums I want in the shops. I really don't care about the money I can just never find any of the albums I want.

Mute Print
12-10-2005, 06:33 PM
For me, the recording industry would have to somehow make it so that CDs were really cheap. I can't afford to pay $10 for every CD I want. Also, they would have to make CDs from unknown bands more accessible. Many of the CDs I have downloaded are not carried in any local record store.

Also, I don't think that downloading is as detrimental to the music industry as it's made out to be. Sure downloading may effect record sales for bands that have already made it big, but for small bands, downloading helps them to get heard, and in turn helps bring people to shows where they will probably spend money on merch.

DJ Ducksauce
12-10-2005, 06:34 PM
They'd have to give me some money. Because that's why I don't buy albums. I'm poor.
Amen to that brotha.

If they lowered the prices of CDs to like 5 dollars at FYE or if a cheap CD store was built in my town, I might buy more often.

/lies

Surtr
12-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Cheaper price's and more availability. Basicly whats been said so far. If CD's were $5 or somewheres around there it would be great. And if I actually had a few more CD stores around my parts it wouldn't hurt either.

cobert
12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Even though i buy pretty much all of my music, any music ive ever downloaded were off of albums that would be impossible to find in any big chain record store. If the stores offered a much bigger selection and started getting a lot of independent labels albums into their shop, i'd go there. And like everyone else said, albums are too expensive. Any album ive ever seen has been around $15. If they would lower it to just under $10, that would be great. But i odnt think theyll ever do that, since the cost of production and marketing would all have to be lowered. So basically, if CD prices keep rising, the industry will all collapse on itself.

billiejoe84
12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Basically, I'm exactly the same as everyone else so far. Albums are too expensive - I'd happily pay for them if I could afford to because I think artists deserve to get paid for their work. However, I am apallingly poor, so I can't. And yes, so many bands I like can't be found in normal record shops.

Money is probably the greater issue though, although that's less to do with the industry, more the fact that I spend too much on drinking. :(

Understanding In a Crash
12-10-2005, 07:31 PM
So here's the question:

What would the recording industry have to do to make you buy every single album you download?

If you have bought every album you have downloaded, don't say it in here. It's uncecessary and makes you look like an ignorant retard.

Anyway, this is a discussion thread, so I want to hear your opinions on this.
I do not download music. I do not approve of downloading music. But, at a point in my life I did download music. I do approve of sharing music, say a buddy gives an album to you over AIM but specific downloading networks such as kazaa, soulsleek, and napster I do not approve of.

The counter argument is that the artists/band don't even make the profit off of there albums mostly and this is true. Simply put when they sign with a label they get loans to produce an album (unless they are puff daddy!) and the label expects that when the album hits the shelves that it will sell and be a pay back. Once it pays off it's "dues" thats when profit kicks in. For an album to sell is something that may not put money in the pocket's of a band or an artist but it makes a label realize the potential of a band to sell. Everyone talks about selling out and changing but no one really wants to live the rest of there life riding in a van a homeless person wouldn't take a piss in and eatting microwaved slim jims for the rest of there life.

Plus some a key pointer:

-Most albums in the U.S. are in the $8-$14 max range. I include tax to that because around here alot of unknown artists at the time sell their albums with sales. I bought War All The Time when no one heard of Thursday here for $7.99. I recently bought Nightmare Of You for $8.99... If your saying CD's are too expensive you either need to get a job or to save your money. When I was growing up to buy Dr. Dre "The Chronic" was something that would go for about $16. Even my Alvin and the chipmunk's christmas cassette was like $18 at the time. I don't know what CD's go for in other countries or states but on Long Island around where I live, Best Buy basically doesn't sell a cd over $14 (that includes tax and everything) unless it has a DVD.

Jersey's Best Dancer
12-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Buy the cds at shows cause I am supporting the band more than I would buying it in a store. I will get stuff from independent record stores too. Money is an issue tho, considering i haven't worked in awhile.

B
12-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Cds here in Canada are upwards of 20 bucks (usually $21.99 or $24.99), and good cds are pretty hard to come by unless you live in Vancouver or Toronto or some other capital city.

So basically, lower the ****ing price of cds because there's no way it takes even 10 bucks to make a cd, and record stores need to carry stuff that isn't mainstream. Of all the stuff I've downloaded, I've seen maybe one out of every 50 bands in stores.

/same as most other people

FauxApathy
12-10-2005, 09:35 PM

I'm going to post anyway because I'm an ignorant retard.

My reasoning is that if you can afford a computer and a small possibility of being sued, you can afford a 10-20$ cd.

Now, many people will probably have great responses to this, in which they will prove some point in how they really have to download their music, and whatever.
Who knows, maybe Cd's are just cheap around here, but I've never had to buy a cd that was over 18 (american) dollars. Everything else is just the newest Hip-hop and Pop music. And even that is only around twenty dollars.

In short, I want to say everything Understanding In A Crash just said, but He beat me to it. This is reinforcement I guess, but there's no way you can stop people from downloading sadly. Some people either don't care or just don't realize, and hence will never stop.

B
12-10-2005, 09:40 PM

My reasoning is that if you can afford a computer and a small possibility of being sued, you can afford a 10-20$ cd.

Now, many people will probably have great responses to this, in which they will prove some point in how they really have to download their music, and whatever.
Who knows, maybe Cd's are just cheap around here, but I've never had to buy a cd that was over 18 (american) dollars. Everything else is just the newest Hip-hop and Pop music. And even that is only around twenty dollars.

In short, I want to say everything Understanding In A Crash just said, but He beat me to it. This is reinforcement I guess, but there's no way you can stop people from downloading sadly. Some people either don't care or just don't realize, and hence will never stop.
In Canada, downloading music isn't illegal.

If my parents can afford to buy a computer, it must mean I can afford tons of $25 cds because we all know my parents split their paycheck with me.

I'm an ignorant retard.
At least I agree with one thing in your post.

Mute Print
12-10-2005, 09:42 PM
If my parents can afford to buy a computer, it must mean I can afford tons of $25 cds because we all know my parents split their paycheck with me.
I was thinking the same thing.

I didn't pay for my computer, and if I would have had to, I wouldn't even own a computer.

The fact of the matter is, some people just can't afford to buy CDs.

CommieCanada
12-10-2005, 10:00 PM
i dont think it would be possible for me, because sometimes i just download as a fleeting fancy. ill download something ive been meaning to check out. i wouldnt just go buy some random album

Untitled
12-11-2005, 04:44 AM
Cheeper Downloads/ CDs.

Oh how i love to buy my CDs, but 10 a go, isnt exactly expensive but it adds up.

At least they seem to be going down in price, im seeing more cds for 7-8 and its not like the time when a brand new CD was 15/16, but there too expensive. I cant even see what the money goes on, they dont even cost much to produce, no more then a pound each.

Bad Blood
12-11-2005, 05:12 AM
*Attention

I agree with Butler. If CD's were lowered in price (and i'm sure it wouldn't hurt the company profits wise) there would be loads more sales. I know it's obvious but the companys don't seem to act upon it.

Oz Rembrandt
12-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Yeah, If we could have them maybe 5 an album? Surely it dosnt cost that much to make!

I actually have never downloaded an entire album in my life. The odd track, bbut for the most part, its CD's all the way.

Untitled
12-11-2005, 05:26 AM
The money they loose in profits from the album sales, they will make up becuase there shifting more stock.

The music industry is too greedy, they seem to think they have the god given right to charge stupid prices. Most of the money dosnt even go to the band. The band barly get anything from CDs anyway, they get it all from Tours and merchendise, its all the record companeys.

Kif
12-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Sometimes it feels like the length of the CD isn't worth the price. I've seen 30-40 minute CDs go for 16 sometimes, and it just makes me wonder why. I'm not saying every band should use all 72 minutes of a CD, but at least make the length of the CD worth the price.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-11-2005, 08:53 AM
CD's in England are way too much, like the double the price in America so stop ya bitching :p

They would need to lower prices/have more extra features, an extra incentive to buy the CD.

I buy most of the CD's from my favourite bands anyway.

ThisUserIsAPipebomb
12-11-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't think there's anything they could really do. I rarely download an entire album, typically I download some stuff by an artist just to test the waters and if I like it, I'll put my money into getting an album.

Scuba_Steve
12-11-2005, 09:21 AM
There are two things MAJOR record labels could do (I'm talking about labels like EMI).

1) One would be encourage bands to make good, consistant CDs. Like my english teacher said about Stephen King "Some times he writes, But sometimes he writes cause the bills are due". They need to prevent the mindless spew of crap send out by bands just to generate income. Instead of having one good song and 13 other filler songs maybe the label should try to find real musicians.I would have no problem going out and buying a avril lavigne album, but too bad that for every decent song there are 10 bad ones, I'll just download the one good one Kplzthx. Again, I find it funny that smaller record labels (even some of the semi-large ones) like Stomp! or Anti or Epitaph arent the ones suffering from this. And you know why? it's cause they have bands that produce decent/good/amazing music and those bands have loyal fan bases with money.( as opposed to the teenage-download happy demographic big labels seem to think will never stab them in the back)

Whilist the major label's plan of milking kids for their money to buy half assed albums has back fired and now the labels are the ones being screwed because people have wised up and stopped buying generally crap music, and we can't have that now can we?

2) And the other point would be they are all too damn expensive up here in canada. I was in HMV (large record chain) and I picked up some epitaph CD (forget which one) and it had the "Cheap Price" sticker on it. Guess how much it was? 24.99. I'd hate to see the normally priced ones.

I'm not bashing epitaph, cause I'm sure it was HMV's choice to charge through the nose. But if it were somewhat cheaper (even around 16$) I would have bought it without thinking twice. But instead I ended up not buying anything.Their loss, not mine especially when I can download it perfectly legally up here in canada.

So in short, I have the intention of buying most albums I download, but the truth is I can't be assed to Hunt them down/pay 30$ per album. Especially when they are all right infront of me at my finger tips.

TakeWarning
12-11-2005, 09:37 AM
So in short, I have the intention of buying most albums I download, but the truth is I can't be assed to Hunt them down/pay 30$ per album. Especially when they are all right infront of me at my finger tips.

Same here.

Kif
12-11-2005, 09:58 AM
2) And the other point would be they are all too damn expensive up here in canada. I was in HMV (large record chain) and I picked up some epitaph CD (forget which one) and it had the "Cheap Price" sticker on it. Guess how much it was? 24.99. I'd hate to see the normally priced ones.

I'm not bashing epitaph, cause I'm sure it was HMV's choice to charge through the nose. But if it were somewhat cheaper (even around 16$) I would have bought it without thinking twice. But instead I ended up not buying anything.Their loss, not mine especially when I can download it perfectly legally up here in canada.

My guess is that Epitaph CD was an import someone ordered and never actually bought. They have those "rare" CDs at my HMV every now and then.

You're in Canada anyway, downloading is legal there!

Scuba_Steve
12-11-2005, 10:03 AM
My guess is that Epitaph CD was an import someone ordered and never actually bought. They have those "rare" CDs at my HMV every now and then.

You're in Canada anyway, downloading is legal there!

yeah, but I like to have something material infront of me.

And they have lots of those epitaph CDs, then I go downtown to an independantly owned CD store and they sell the same albums for like 14-16$

Angry Balled Fists!
12-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I prefer having the real thing and ideally i would own allt he CD's i own on the computer, but it just isn't realistic.

I hve tons of music on my computer (albeit not as much as a lot of the freaks on here :p) and i have about 50 CD's, which isn't a lot really, but now i'm earning i'm going to buy more.

The_Red_Death
12-11-2005, 11:53 AM
-Most albums in the U.S. are in the $8-$14 max range. I include tax to that because around here alot of unknown artists at the time sell their albums with sales. I bought War All The Time when no one heard of Thursday here for $7.99. I recently bought Nightmare Of You for $8.99... If your saying CD's are too expensive you either need to get a job or to save your money. When I was growing up to buy Dr. Dre "The Chronic" was something that would go for about $16. Even my Alvin and the chipmunk's christmas cassette was like $18 at the time. I don't know what CD's go for in other countries or states but on Long Island around where I live, Best Buy basically doesn't sell a cd over $14 (that includes tax and everything) unless it has a DVD.

Here, because there's only one CD store in town, they charge about 20 to 25 dollars for most CD's, the exception being compilations. They have Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against for $23.99, which is just insane. I don't buy CD's that often because I'm getting robbed when I do it here. But, to support the artist, I will buy a CD after I download it and love it, especially with albums with some proceeds going to charity.

Drop The Baby
12-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I buy 97% of all the CDs i own, minimum.

I'd never buy a single CD if i thought that it wasn't the bands work, i.e. if i listened to pop music i would have a single CD in my house.

DIY is the way to go.

ZaaR
12-11-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't download albums, I buy them. The only download single songs to get a preview of the cd. If I like it, I'll go out and buy it. This is why I don't have an Mp3 player, because I prefer to have everything that comes with the album.

Excursions
12-11-2005, 02:44 PM

Yes I do have to download music, and no im not going to get sued. Why because most of the music I download off soulseek cannot be bought. It's either not being made anymore, or it would be very hard to find. Anyway in saying this I also believe these bands and the labels they are on would have no need to sue me. I highly doubt some small independant punk label is going to sue me becuase I downloaded their out of print demo last released in 1983.

Fish
12-11-2005, 02:53 PM
I also agree with many other people here, some CD's can get so expensive. Like when you look at some of the old Offspring CD's in stores they can get up to around $24.99, and like honestly, who is going to pay almost $30 for a single CD. Same deal with alot of other albums like, Thursday, Story Of The Year and many more. Sometimes you can go into music stores and get about 7 to 8 Cd's for under $100 (Candian money) but one time I paid over $100 for 5. If they lowered the prices to lets say, between $14.99 - $19.99(max) there would be way more sales. And again all that is in Canadian currency.

B
12-11-2005, 04:58 PM
CD's in England are way too much, like the double the price in America so stop ya bitching :p
Do you even know what you're talking about?

Cds here in Canada can get up to 30+ dollars sometimes. Which is in no way half of what you pay.

Dead Star
12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
They would have to lower the prices. Yesterday, for Xmas shopping I had to buy my Dad the Poilce Greatest hits, which cost me 17.

17 for a bloody CD.

FauxApathy
12-11-2005, 05:30 PM
In Canada, downloading music isn't illegal.

At least I agree with one thing in your post.

I knew someone would say this, and I knew someone would use that last part as well.

"Now, many people will probably have great responses to this, in which they will prove some point in how they really have to download their music, and whatever."

In fact, I knew that what I was saying was downright stupid, and in most cases not true.
Point is, I'm against downloading music, and Since I had no good reasons to support my thesis statement I decided to be a **** and make some up.

And 25$? Dang, music must be expensive in Canada. That's why Downloading isn't illegal...

Edit: After reading Fish's post, now I know that Canada is seriously overpriced. You could probably buy three offspring cd's here for that amount. heck, Smash is 7.99 at best buy every time I go there.

Luxor
12-11-2005, 05:35 PM
More variety and cheaper prices. If CD's were $5, I would never download again.

Fish
12-11-2005, 06:21 PM
More variety and cheaper prices. If CD's were $5, I would never download again.

i think thats asking a bit too much

Hep Kat
12-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I just want them to publicize independent or unknown bands.

plaidbassbilly
12-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I've never downloaded an entire album, my computer is really slow, and it would probably take weeks, in which time I could probably scrounge enough money to go and buy it anyway.

Here in Australia the newest CDs cost about 20 bucks, sometimes up to $30. I can understand why people download music rather than buy it. CDs are just too expensive for the poor music buying public.

B
12-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Considering the majority of the music buying population is younger and is still in school (Whether High School or College/Uni) you would think the record companies would realize that most of us don't have the money to buy tons of Cds like we would like too.

yourstruly
12-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Music should be heard, not just purchased,

Drop The Baby
12-12-2005, 04:34 AM

Cds here in Canada can get up to 30+ dollars sometimes. Which is in no way half of what you pay.

Yep. CDs in England on average are more expensive than that.

B
12-12-2005, 05:50 AM
Yep. CDs in England on average are more expensive than that.
He said we pay half of what you pay. I really don't believe that you can pay $60 for a normal cd.

Rootsradical
12-12-2005, 06:30 AM
I would buy them if they were all 2 dollars a piece.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
He said we pay half of what you pay. I really don't believe that you can pay $60 for a normal cd.

It may be exxagerated

In England i'd say the average price for a CD is 13. That's about 26 Canadian dollars and 23 USD.

But a lot of which i get are 15 quid plus

Angry Balled Fists!
12-12-2005, 09:39 AM

Also, notice i said America :-/

Kif
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Who the fuck changed my thread name?! I put ATTENCION to sound French, bitch!

Kif
12-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I'd like to see more for your money as well. I know record companies fund bands to make them, get on tours and whatnot, so dropping the price heavily would be a bit of a mistake. But if they offered things as simple as stickers, posters, online material like bonus songs and videos, I think buying a CD would be a much more fun thing to do.

Angry Balled Fists!
12-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Yes, stuff like posters, access to parts of sites, really great album art books and stuff.

Kif
12-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Exactly, maybe even a sampler CD for the label showcasing some new and great talent. I buy albums because I download them and I love them, but things like this, they make me want to buy them more.

I know there has been a sudden surge of re-issues, deluxe editions and all that, of very recent albums (ALK3's Crimson comes to mind, which was released earlier this year and then re-released in November as a 2CD). They use this fact and sell them with DVDs and "rare" songs. I don't like re-issues of such new albums, but still, people want to buy them again because of the extra material.

Untitled
12-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Yes, stuff like posters, access to parts of sites, really great album art books and stuff.
Just you wait till im an album artist :thumb:

Drop The Baby
12-12-2005, 12:15 PM

It wasn't a f'ucking template for every single CD sale ever was it?

Use your brain.

Ganondorf
12-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Yeah, Americans htinking they're hard done by, haha

gimp fest
12-12-2005, 12:44 PM
lack of funds is the only reason why i don't spend all my money on music, if they were lowered to maybe 7 for an Lp i wouldn't download a thing

Understanding In a Crash
12-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Here, because there's only one CD store in town, they charge about 20 to 25 dollars for most CD's, the exception being compilations. They have Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against for $23.99, which is just insane. I don't buy CD's that often because I'm getting robbed when I do it here. But, to support the artist, I will buy a CD after I download it and love it, especially with albums with some proceeds going to charity.
That store should be ROBBED.

Special Brew
12-12-2005, 12:50 PM
^^^

Firecracker
12-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Completely close down every single hint of music sharing there is.
Including specific sites which give up their own music for people to download, slsk, limewire, etc

B
12-12-2005, 04:06 PM
It wasn't a f'ucking template for every single CD sale ever was it?

Use your brain.
It didn't apply to pretty much any cd.

Dan: Sorry, when you said America I assumed you meant North America.

Society Sellout
12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
First off, there are a LOT more costs involved in making an album than just the ink for the cover and the actual cd(which for most albums with quality artwork can be more expensive than you think as well). As was said before record lables have to take loans out to pay for studio time and production. Then they also have to pay artists to do the artwork for the album, build a website(what band doesn't have a website these days?), advertising. This stuff adds up and it IS business and they ARE trying to turn a profit, some more than others.

I DO think sometimes ablums are overpriced, I go into Sam Goody sometimes and see albums at $20(American) and kind of gasp. I will only pay $15 or more for an album if I KNOW I'm going to love it(Or I have money burning a hole in my pocket, which isn't often). I think around $10-$12 is a good price for most albums.

As far as dling albums, I do download a small portion of the music i own. I try to support artists that I like by buying their albums but sometimes I want some new music and don't really have the money or can't find the cd I'm looking for so I download it.

BridgeToSolace
12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
First of all, I have about 900 albums. At even a discount price of 10 dollars a piece, it would still cost me nine thousand dollars to buy all of them. I'm 15, and I don't plan on getting a job any time soon, so really, buying is not a realistic option. But that's been said a bunch, so I'll say something else:

Quality is a major issue with. For every 5 albums I download, I'll end up deleting several of them (or only listening to them once or twice.). And really, that's not wort any money I could spend.

If I went to A Wilhelm Scream concert, I would probably buy Ruiner and Mute Print, because I know that those albums are fantastic, and worth more than twice what they cost for the amount of entertainment they will bring me....But I would never know that without downloading. I need to, I spose.

But I also wanted to listen to Taking Back Sunday's new album a while ago, so I downloaded because I loved their older stuff. I ended up hating it, and it would have been a complete waste of money if I bought it.

So it all stems back to money, but with me it's not so much as being poor as wanting to get my money's worth. Without downloading a listening to it first, I'll never know if buying it would have been a good idea.

In my time I've bought about 20 band t-shirts though. T-shirts last for a buttload longer than my interest in most CD's go, and I assume that more money goes to the artist through merch than through CDs. It lets me sleep at night, I guess.

ZaaR
12-12-2005, 08:42 PM
I also agree with many other people here, some CD's can get so expensive. Like when you look at some of the old Offspring CD's in stores they can get up to around $24.99, and like honestly, who is going to pay almost $30 for a single CD. Same deal with alot of other albums like, Thursday, Story Of The Year and many more. Sometimes you can go into music stores and get about 7 to 8 Cd's for under $100 (Candian money) but one time I paid over $100 for 5. If they lowered the prices to lets say, between $14.99 - $19.99(max) there would be way more sales. And again all that is in Canadian currency.

Just buy used man. They range from $4-$10.

Ross
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
I enjoy looking at the artwork and having something to hold in my hand. I will download a couple of tracks and buy the album if I like them, but if I can I'll buy it direct from the record label or at a gig by the band.

I would love to see even more in the way of funky artwork and stickers etc. I have no beefs about current CD prices, while a drop would be wonderful I can't see it ever happening on a large scale. More for my money would be appreciated all round :)

I love having and holding CDs. My CD collection would be under my arm alongside my guitars if my house was on fire.

Oz Rembrandt
12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
I would love to see even more in the way of funky artwork and stickers etc. .

FREE STICKERS WITH CD'S!!!

Genius idea.

Untitled
12-13-2005, 02:24 PM
As the album art goes, just wait for the next generation of album art, artists :thumb:

Drop The Baby
12-14-2005, 06:16 AM
It didn't apply to pretty much any cd.

It applies to the majority of CDs. If an American wanted to buy an average punk CD in the UK they'd expect to be paying around $26 minimum.

When i was in the US i bought NOFX's 45 or 46 for $14 (i think). Over here it would set you back around $28. That's the difference. You're wrong.

Understanding In a Crash
12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
I bought Dipset's "More then Music" Vol 1. for $17.99 today.

Ross
12-15-2005, 09:38 AM
FREE STICKERS WITH CD'S!!!

Genius idea.

Thanks, but sadly not one of my own :rolleyes:

I'd like to see more for your money as well. I know record companies fund bands to make them, get on tours and whatnot, so dropping the price heavily would be a bit of a mistake. But if they offered things as simple as stickers, posters, online material like bonus songs and videos, I think buying a CD would be a much more fun thing to do.

Oh well :) Thieving ideas FTW!

yourstruly
12-15-2005, 10:22 PM
CDS over here are $15-$22 at big convenience stores, at CD stores they can be up to $32.
I only download music that I plan to purchase one day.

skingle
12-16-2005, 10:24 AM
I personally don't download music and have around 140 real cds. That said, I would say I have bought over 50% of the cds i own when they are on sale. So if its too expensive, wait til the price goes down, or look around other shops.

If you look hard enough you will find a reasonable price.

clearvision
12-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I'd never buy all the albums i download. Because some of them i don't even listen to. You know how it is with Mailing lists and YSI threads etc you just download something but never listen to it.

However i'd buy more CD's if the prices were lower. I'm not paying 16 for a CD! I would pay 6/7 though. But then the argument is that the record companies rape the artists of the profits of cd's so they can't push the price down any more without the artists suffering.

I think in the end the record industry will collapse. But it'll be the record companies fault.

TheNinja
12-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Lower prices.

Where I live the only stores that carry CD's are chian stores like Barnes and Noble, Borders, Target etc. and at these places CD's are $15-$20

Jersey's Best Dancer
12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Yeah, If we could have them maybe 5 an album? Surely it dosnt cost that much to make!

I actually have never downloaded an entire album in my life. The odd track, bbut for the most part, its CD's all the way.

same...