PDA

View Full Version : How do i get that funk sound?

jdkrawchuk
12-07-2005, 01:47 PM
I am a big fan of the whole funk sound and i want to know how to get my guitar to sound that way. What do i need to acheive this?

Chameleon
12-07-2005, 03:06 PM
*tees up questions guitarists will probably need, in order to help you*

What guitar/amp/pedals do you have? What strings do you use?

jdkrawchuk
12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I have an typical fender strat, fender amp with built in overdrive and a Dunlop cyrbaby 535Q Multiwah, and i use Zakk Wylde boomers for strings, i usually play a lot of low tuned songs.

Chameleon
12-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Hmm, my guitarist (funk band) uses american strat, fender stage 100 amp, dunlop crybaby and d'addario strings.

Sounds funky, maybe it's to do with the way you play? I play bass not guitar, and to get a funky sound, you really need to play with a lot more tone in your fingers. Like....when playing anything staccato, it's as much in your left hand as in your tone. Having said that, a great tone helps, but i'm pretty sure the tools you're using are fine for it.

jdkrawchuk
12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
okay, but how do i set it up, like what settings do i use on the wah, how high should the volume and variable q be, and how much gain should i use. I have absolutly no knowledge of the technical setup. I can get lessons on chords and strumming techniques off the net but i cant find anything on the physical setup of equipment.

Caleb3221
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Funk tends to be fairly clean in terms of guitar tone, so you shouldn't need much overdrive/gain/whatever. I don't know anything about that specific wah, but you should set it to a wide, high range I would think(if I am correctly remember what that Q thing doe).

Chameleon
12-07-2005, 06:32 PM
I see, well I can't help you there, I know nothing about EQ. There are a few different funk sounds as well, you get really bare, harsh funk sounds like Wild Cherry "play that Funky music" and you get smoother funk sounds like a lot of Earth Wind and Fire stuff.

PTheory
12-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Use lots of right hand damping and keep it swinging

Animus Light
12-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I think what's most important in funk is the rhythm, not so much the tone. If you can swing, that's the msot important thign.

scotch
12-08-2005, 11:07 PM
I can never understand these "What settings should I use?" questions. Use the settings that sound good to you. If the settings that sound good to you turn out not to be the settings Dr. Funk uses then Dr. Funk can just go Funk himself. Your music should be an expression of your own taste, sensibility, and ideas.

PTheory
12-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Watch the second video on the page below, it is Billy Spruill who was Eddie Hazel's best friend and one of the best funk guitarists in the world today. Focus on his right hand!!

http://www.ptheory.co.uk/videos.cfm

some jive turkey
01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
i use Zakk Wylde boomers for strings, i usually play a lot of low tuned songs.

Simply based on the info above, I'm guessing you might want to start with some eq settings on guitar amp. Most metal&rock players usualy play with a lot of low end bass in their sound for that crunch that sounds good for those styles. To my ears, in jazz and funk it sounds better when you dial that down a little, and let the BASS player work their magic in that frequency range. In jazz and funk, you want to play with others, not against them.

Maybe that will help, but I kind of agree that you should just listen and experiment to find a sound that is yours. Key words being listen and experiment.

Orange Fog
01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Funk tone isn't that complex, and fairly flexible. Really it's about rhythm, alot of right hand muting.