PDA

View Full Version : Basic jazz?

SillyPuddyonIce
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm looking for some jazz that just has chords, bassline, and melody/soloist, etc. All the jazz I find is really complicated, all over the place, or just weird in some cases.. I'm trying to study jazz and I just want to hear some stuff with the basic theory of jazz.. like accented beats and types of chords etc. Any suggestions? I'm a bassist looking to studying how jazz works etc right now

Anyhow thanks for replies.

scotch
11-30-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm looking for some jazz that just has chords, bassline, and melody/soloist, etc. All the jazz I find is really complicated, all over the place, or just weird in some cases.. I'm trying to study jazz and I just want to hear some stuff with the basic theory of jazz.. like accented beats and types of chords etc. Any suggestions? I'm a bassist looking to studying how jazz works etc right now

Since the only jazz I can think of that doesn't have "just chords, bassline, and melody/soloist, etc." is free jazz, dixieland, big band jazz, and certain specimens of contrapuntal cool jazz, I really don't know what you mean.

mprules
12-01-2005, 04:20 AM
i was thinking the same, he must be listening to some whack jazz

SillyPuddyonIce
12-01-2005, 05:43 AM
You'd be suprised. I think I just need to listen to some older jazz.

dj_ando
12-01-2005, 07:34 AM
yeah look at some earlier stuff. modern jazz has come a long way, you've gotta get back to the roots and work your way through. perhaps players like clifford brown and dizzy gillespie are for you. if you're into big bands, check out duke ellington, count basie, all those cats. even though i don't particularly like early jazz, it's a great place to start at, and once you get a grip on things you can progress through the different jazz era's. my personal fave is the modal era in the 60s ;) some of the best music ever written imo.

dragonzmad
12-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Jeez finally someone who thinks the same thing I'm thinking. I only want to hear a maximum of 4 instruments just for the purposes of learning. Chords bassline drums and soloist but I'd prefer not to even hear the soloist. If you can track down Thelonius monk and Charles mingus remake of Ain't got that swing (duke ellington song). I found it on kazaa. It is awesome because the bass isn't drowned out and the solos are awesome and its a great song to begin with

Ned
12-03-2005, 03:58 AM
You'd be suprised. I think I just need to listen to some older jazz.

Older than what?

Ned
12-03-2005, 04:02 AM
yeah look at some earlier stuff. modern jazz has come a long way, you've gotta get back to the roots and work your way through.

The roots are mostly polyphonic (New Orleans/Dixieland) or more elaborately homophonic (big band). Bebop is more complex harmonically, rhythmically, and melodically, but certainly much simpler texturally, as is most post bop and straight-ahead.

Akumal
12-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Or try whit some kind of No Jazz at all but good for improvisation lines like the Dave Matthews Band

Animus Light
12-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Get The Real Book, Sixth Edition and start thumbing through that.

Neamhtrocaireach
12-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Im a blues player... Anytime i switched to Jazz i just didnt get it....
There seems to be no basic chord changes/structure.
I have been in endless debates with Jazz musicians but to no avail.
I just never understood the theory. Still i love the Jazz sound.

"One bum note is a mistake,
2 bum notes is Jazz."

Animus Light
12-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Im a blues player... Anytime i switched to Jazz i just didnt get it....
There seems to be no basic chord changes/structure.
I have been in endless debates with Jazz musicians but to no avail.
I just never understood the theory. Still i love the Jazz sound.

"One bum note is a mistake,
2 bum notes is Jazz."

The ii-V-I progression shows up ALL the time in jazz. o_O' It's pretty much the definitive jazz progression. I mean, it's not as set-in-stone as 12-bar blues since things can change.. And then there's the Coltrane take on the ii-V-I which is just bewildering... But yeah.. it shows up quite a bit.

Neamhtrocaireach
12-10-2005, 02:12 PM
The ii-V-I progression shows up ALL the time in jazz. o_O' It's pretty much the definitive jazz progression. I mean, it's not as set-in-stone as 12-bar blues since things can change.. And then there's the Coltrane take on the ii-V-I which is just bewildering... But yeah.. it shows up quite a bit.

Still I find it rather confusing, and i personally think some Jazz really over do the whole JAzz theme.... I really cant describe this term.....
Do you understand what i mean?

Tarquin1986
12-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Unmerciful, eh?

PDWAB
12-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Take the A Train is a good one. Sweet Georgia Brown is pretty basic too, and also I Got Rhythm.