PDA

View Full Version : Nu Jazz.

Buratino
11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
What dot you think about it?
I`ve found a bands like Jaga Jazzist and Cinematic Orchestra amazing.
Any opinions?
Do you know some other bands?
Any suggestions about good Nu Jazz bands ?

MattyBlade
11-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Is there seriously a 'nu jazz' genre? Wow. Just wow.

Buratino
11-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Is there seriously a 'nu jazz' genre? Wow. Just wow.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=ru&q=nu+jazz&btnG=Search

Lady Lex
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Im loving Quantic Soul Orchestra :)

alan_pfeifer
12-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Jaga Jazzist are a reccent discovery of mine. I like them alot.

dj_ando
12-04-2005, 07:23 PM
bugge wesseltoft is the bomb. check out 'new conception of jazz live', it's a killer album. really cool electronic/jazz stuff.

quantic soul orchestra is more soul/funk, but fantastic music. if you like that kinda thing, check out some of the other newer funk/soul bands like the mighty imperials or anything else on daptone records.

(*The Noonward Race*)
12-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Nu-jazz (sometimes electro-jazz) was coined in the late 1990s to refer to styles which combine jazz textures and sometimes jazz instrumentation with electronic music. Like the term electronica, nu jazz is a loosely defined umbrella musical style. It ranges from combining live instrumentation with beats of jazz house (exemplified by French St Germain, German Jazzanova and Fila Brazillia from the UK) to more band-based improvised jazz with electronic elements (such as that of the British Cinematic Orchestra, and the Norwegian future jazz style pioneered by Bugge Wesseltoft, Jaga Jazzist, Nils Petter Molvær and others).

Sounds cool. I'll try to listen.
EDIT
Jaga Jazzist is rockin people! :thumb:

Lady Lex
12-10-2005, 07:31 PM
NZ Blackseeds are great too :)

GhostNote
12-15-2005, 09:22 AM
What dot you think about it?
I`ve found a bands like Jaga Jazzist and Cinematic Orchestra amazing.
Any opinions?
Do you know some other bands?
Any suggestions about good Nu Jazz bands ?

Yeah, a band from Australia called 'On The Edge' are kind of a nu jazz, funk, urban kind of band. Also, a band called 'K' are of the nu-jazz genre

portrait of john
01-03-2006, 07:19 AM
where did anyone conjure up the term 'nu jazz'. Is it because it is supposedly different to what may be considered traditional jazz, ie: read acoustic? the term is used so loosely and tends to lend itself to in my opinion 'bs'. Jazz in itself is a boundaryless form of music, why are there such sub genres such as 'nu jazz' developed.

It really is a loosely used term as it does not in any way explain the music. Think of 'jazz rock' for example, its obvious that its a combination of both the stylistic features of jazz and rock, ie: mahavishnu orchestra or even tribal tech!!!!!

Therefore, i want someone to PLEASE explain there ridiculous concept of 'nu jazz'...............

im waiting

Amit
01-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Sound Tribe Sector Nine is similar to Jaga Jazzist :-)

Lydisk
01-03-2006, 08:46 AM
/has been to Jaga Jazzist,Nils Petter Molvær and Bugge Wesseltoft concerts

:cool:

i didnt enjoy Bugge too much though....he lacks that special something IMO

Saitoku
01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
The Bad Plus are kinda cool.

Phunphone
01-05-2006, 07:33 AM
/has been to Jaga Jazzist,Nils Petter Molvær and Bugge Wesseltoft concerts

:cool:

i didnt enjoy Bugge too much though....he lacks that special something IMO

Nils is awesome. They didn't let me in to his concert because I was under 18... one of the few times I wish I was over 18. Oh well, at least my friend got his signature for me.

As for Jaga Jazzist, I've just discovered them, might be getting a cd soon. They seem pretty good.

Lydisk
01-05-2006, 09:39 AM
thats too bad

i get to see every jazz concert held in our town because our college has a deal with the owners of the jazz club. saw Louis Sclavis...man that was crazy
stuff...

Phunphone
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
That's pretty cool.

I sneak out to every jazz club in town; usually without effort. Failed once, and it was Nils' :(

jake plays guitar
01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
it should just be newer jazz. as in jazz that is recent. it shouldnt be called nu-jazz because thats somewhat like nu-metal and no body wants to be confused with that

pikester
01-05-2006, 10:40 PM
If Jaga Jazzist is included in this genre... I like it.

Happymeal
01-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Lounge Lizards are certainly cool whether they belong in this thread or not.

fingerstyle
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
when i hear the name nu-jazz, i just think of angst ridden white 20-something year olgs playing jazz and rapping about dumping their girlfriends and bashing people up and giving 'props' to all their 'crew'. oh, and i also imagine like "<insert nu-jazz band name here> feat. Jay-Z" and stuff.

(*The Noonward Race*)
01-06-2006, 05:19 AM
Sound Tribe Sector Nine is similar to Jaga Jazzist :-)
Sweet.

GhostNote
01-06-2006, 09:05 AM
when i hear the name nu-jazz, i just think of angst ridden white 20-something year olgs playing jazz and rapping about dumping their girlfriends and bashing people up and giving 'props' to all their 'crew'. oh, and i also imagine like "<insert nu-jazz band name here> feat. Jay-Z" and stuff.

When i hear nu-jazz i think the letter 'K'....