PDA

View Full Version : Getting into jazz...

Cam90
11-26-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok I really havn't heard that much jazz playing. I mostly listen to metal/rock type music. I have recently got into Paul Gilbert I just heard the song "Six Billion People", and I can't stop listening to it I love the jazz like playing in the song. I want to get into more jazz, so could someone reccomend some bands or artists that sound sort of like the song or similar? Or reccomend me some jazz with awsome rythym and complex lead stuff.

Thanks

AmericanWeiner
11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Ok I really havn't heard that much jazz playing. I mostly listen to metal/rock type music. I have recently got into Paul Gilbert I just heard the song "Six Billion People", and I can't stop listening to it I love the jazz like playing in the song. I want to get into more jazz, so could someone reccomend some bands or artists that sound sort of like the song or similar? Or reccomend me some jazz with awsome rythym and complex lead stuff.

Thanks

If you want to listen to jazz, I wouldn't come into it expect "complexity" as present in metal music. Most jazz complexity is much more subtle.

If you're a guitarist, I suggest Django Reinhardt and Wes Montgomery.

Most would recommend John Coltrane, Miles Davis or both.

MikeJump
11-29-2005, 12:24 AM
This is my current favorite album.

Johnny A - Sometime Tuesday Morning.

i have his second cd but this one is killer.

Amazing complexity and killer solos that will make you go awwwwwww.

I uploaded a song from his cd you should check it out

http://www.mikejump.com/mp3/JA

now this isnt Jazz like Miles but you will like it being a guitar player and all.

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 12:44 AM
The essential jazz album

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

"Bitches Brew" is amazing too

Also, jazz isn't really the kind of music to just go and buy records to listen to. I mean, it is, but it isn't at the same time. Its music thats sorta, alive. There are great jazz albums and Davis and Coltrane are among the best, but you really need to go out to jazz clubs and see it live to truly appriciate it, and maybe one day bring your guitar, plug in and jam with the locals. Once your into jazz, it will take over your world...take over your soul

Kobaia
11-29-2005, 02:01 AM
i suggest, mahavishnu, gordian knot, and the newer medeski martin and wood

Music Man
11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
"Time Out"--Dave Brubeck Quartet
"Kind of Blue"--Miles Davis
"Latin America"--Gato Barbieri
"I Sing the Body Electric"--Weather Report

some jive turkey
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I hate to just give you the standard Miles Davis/ John Coltrane answer, but if you're just getting into jazz, then it's realy hard to overlook those two.

The Coltrane Quartet's album "Crescent" is one of my top album reccomendations. It's got a little of everything, horn solo, piano solo, bass solo, and an unbelievable drum solo. It's a great insight into what it's all about.

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 11:27 PM
The Coltrane Quartet's album "Crescent" is one of my top album reccomendations. It's got a little of everything, horn solo, piano solo, bass solo, and an unbelievable drum solo. It's a great insight into what it's all about.

ya, if you want jazz, then this is also an essential

:thumb:

Lady Lex
11-30-2005, 12:16 AM
The essential jazz album

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

"Bitches Brew" is amazing too

Also, jazz isn't really the kind of music to just go and buy records to listen to. I mean, it is, but it isn't at the same time. Its music thats sorta, alive. There are great jazz albums and Davis and Coltrane are among the best, but you really need to go out to jazz clubs and see it live to truly appriciate it, and maybe one day bring your guitar, plug in and jam with the locals. Once your into jazz, it will take over your world...take over your soul

I agree with EVERYTHING here. Get the above albums (may I add "Silent Way" to that as well) on vinyl (if possible) and find an old tuner around and have a listen to it ala Analogue. THE BEST SOUNDS EVER.

Herbie Hancock and the HeadHunters are great too.

But if youre looking for something slightly complex but a bit more contemporary - The Return of the HeadHunters is fantastic. The bass lines alone make me scream with delight :)

PS You MUST put Jazz into the "For Seduction" pile.

ani_starkiller
11-30-2005, 01:06 AM
In a Silent Way...another great work:thumb:

Ace_of_Bass2112
12-03-2005, 07:58 AM

Thanks

well i you want more of a bass definattly get jaco pastorius's self titeld. revolutionized how the frettless bass was play'd. Nirvana to my ears

Syncope
12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
The Raybrown Trio

superjoe
12-05-2005, 10:21 PM
the incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery was my first jazz album...gooood stuff. Also A Love Supreme by Coltrane is probably (imo) the best jazz album ive heard, ever.

Caleb3221
12-05-2005, 10:25 PM
To throw out a new reccomendation, I just got an album by Roy Hargrove, "Diamond in the Rough", which is great, has a nice variety of stuff, and some great playing on it. Just a random reccomendation.

DemBonez
12-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Why must so many of these responses feel so typical? It's as if owning Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme coupled with knowing the significance of Ellington's Newport concert gets you an 'A' in jazz history 101. Be nutty, be different.

Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are good and all, but no one ever seems to go further than that. Can anyone honestly say these two albums are better than Nelson's The Blues & the Abstract Truth? Is Shorter's Speak No Evil really that far behind these albums that no one will even meantion it (let alone listen to it)? There's so much music out there that is just as good, if not better, than the albums everybody listens to. Go peruse the jazz section of your music store, and if something piques your interest then check it out.

Delay Pedal Boy
12-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Brilliant Corners. GREAT Album.

baggagebassman
12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are good albums for jazz newbies. For jazz guitar, check out Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, and Charlie Christian.

superjoe
12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Why must so many of these responses feel so typical? It's as if owning Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme coupled with knowing the significance of Ellington's Newport concert gets you an 'A' in jazz history 101. Be nutty, be different.

Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme are good and all, but no one ever seems to go further than that. Can anyone honestly say these two albums are better than Nelson's The Blues & the Abstract Truth? Is Shorter's Speak No Evil really that far behind these albums that no one will even meantion it (let alone listen to it)? There's so much music out there that is just as good, if not better, than the albums everybody listens to. Go peruse the jazz section of your music store, and if something piques your interest then check it out.
hey cut me some slack, im still new to jazz.

rubbishwithnames
12-15-2005, 01:04 PM
This is my current favorite album.

Johnny A - Sometime Tuesday Morning.

i have his second cd but this one is killer.

Amazing complexity and killer solos that will make you go awwwwwww.

I uploaded a song from his cd you should check it out

http://www.mikejump.com/mp3/JA

now this isnt Jazz like Miles but you will like it being a guitar player and all.

I just want to say thank you SO much for that. I haven't liked an artist so much upon first hearing him for a while now. Awesome.

Chaos
12-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I used to listen to alternative rock radio stations all the time and now it's just jazz or classical, depending on which one is playing commericials and which one is not.

but yeah, whenever you listen to the radio try to find a jazz station and just listen to some songs there and if you hear something you like, pay attention to who it is.