PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band

hendrix126
11-26-2005, 04:22 PM
I get to go to a concert on this sunday.I personally like them becasue they are very talented and are cool to listen to
Disscusion

thisistj
11-26-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah they're very talented.

ive never been to see them before, but i hear they are amazing live.

my fave song would def. be ants marching.

IbanezSamurai
11-26-2005, 05:59 PM
I agree that they are talanted but I never really could get into them.

Fatback
11-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm with the samurai.
Obviously talented guys...bore the sh*t outa me.

Chameleon
11-27-2005, 06:17 AM
Great band....wish they would tour outside the States occassionally.

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-27-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes, they're talented but a lot of their songs sound exactly the same. Nice to see that a very talented band is popular, though.

JessJansen
11-27-2005, 12:02 PM
really good band. Love their style nice and sometimes bluesy

darrell
11-27-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes, they're talented but a lot of their songs sound exactly the same. Nice to see that a very talented band is popular, though.

You think all their songs sound the same? Which ones in particular?

DuckinFutch
11-27-2005, 04:29 PM
real good, but I really don't think this fits in the Jazz/Funk section...

Maybe the indie/alt section, idk, but they're definitaly not Jazz, and most of their songs aren't very funkish...

ani_starkiller
11-27-2005, 08:21 PM
ridiculously good band. ive never seen them live either, but i plan to this summer. you need to check out the live in central park dvd. its the greatest concert ive ever scene. dave is just one hell of a song writer. i love there unique sound and truly poetic lyrics

Jaded
11-27-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't really like them.

zabbit82
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
ridiculously good band. ive never seen them live either, but i plan to this summer. you need to check out the live in central park dvd. its the greatest concert ive ever scene. dave is just one hell of a song writer. i love there unique sound and truly poetic lyrics

I have this DVD and I'm floored every time I view it. Carter is one of the best drummers I've heard. Dave is a great songwriter anyway.

Great music :thumb:

.Scott_Thrasher.
11-27-2005, 09:12 PM
dave matthews band?????? what the fukk are you fagggots listening to. you guys are retarded and should go lick out a rotten turkey because that is all that you are good for. this stupid dave matthews band should rott in a condom, where they belong!!!!!!

.Scott_Thrasher.
11-27-2005, 09:19 PM
u go suk cok

ani_starkiller
11-27-2005, 10:07 PM
I have this DVD and I'm floored every time I view it. Carter is one of the best drummers I've heard. Dave is a great songwriter anyway.

Great music :thumb:

Isn't that cover of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" amazing? I love it! And Dave's little skat during the Jam after Jimi Thing? It's absolutely mind blowing!

(*The Noonward Race*)
11-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Isn't that cover of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" amazing? I love it! And Dave's little skat during the Jam after Jimi Thing? It's absolutely mind blowing!
hey fizzle

i loved that part too:thumb:

givemeaname
11-27-2005, 11:56 PM
The Central Park dvd is amazing. I love the version of "Two Step". I'm looking forward to getting the weekend on the rocks complete set.

ani_starkiller
11-28-2005, 12:15 AM
oh ya...

...that version of two step is great! i love all the extra stuff at the begining, and boyd strumming away at the violin...theyre so frickin good. again, that "cortez the killer" cover has me in awe every time i watch it. also, i love the way they play "dont drink the water" to start off. such a powerful song.

BTW, anyone else like daves dance moves? :lol:

Ill Mitch
11-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Dave and his band are amazing.

Only they could blend rock, jazz, and bluegrass. Not only do they do it, but they do it fantastically well. They produce some of the best music I've heard recently. Dave is a fantastic songwriter, and everyone else in the band is extremely skilled, even little Stefan Lessard who they picked up while he was still in high school.

On top of the great studio work, they're fantastic live. I've only seen them once, but I have all their live albums, and they're only getting better. They're extremely tight and always seem to know where each other is going. They also do fantastic covers such as All Along the Watchtower, Cortez the Killer, and they even did Blackbird when I saw them live.

Soooo amazing.

zabbit82
11-28-2005, 08:06 PM

It's fantastic. Thier live stuff is alot better than what they record in the studio. I listen to Live At Folsom Field alot and it grabs my ears every time I hear Don't Drink The Water, Two Step, and Ants Marching. My favorite song has to be the live version of Bartender. Love that song...

givemeaname
11-28-2005, 11:57 PM
Folsem Field's a great concert. Ants Marching:cool: But I'm hooked more on the Listener Supported in New Jersey concert. It's got my favorite performance of Jimi Thing.

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Folsem Field's a great concert. Ants Marching:cool: But I'm hooked more on the Listener Supported in New Jersey concert. It's got my favorite performance of Jimi Thing.

Have you seen the ''Jimi Thing" performance on the Central Park concert DVD?

sheephead
11-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Like everyone has said, DMB are incredible. I only got into them a year ago but they're now far away my favourite band. Songs like #41, Crash, So Much to Say, Watchtower, Lover Lay Down, Recently (especially the outro), Two Step, Typical Situation, etc. I find that the people who like DMB REALLY get into them. It's hard to simply like them, they must be loved or not at all. Dave is the most emotional singer/song writer I've heard and I would glady part with a large sum of money to see them play live.

givemeaname
11-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Have you seen the ''Jimi Thing" performance on the Central Park concert DVD?

I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and love it. I love how they merge "For What it's Worth" into Jimi Thing. But the Listener Supported version has some fantastic jamming in my opinion.

Like everyone has said, DMB are incredible. I only got into them a year ago but they're now far away my favourite band. Songs like #41, Crash, So Much to Say, Watchtower, Lover Lay Down, Recently (especially the outro), Two Step, Typical Situation, etc. I find that the people who like DMB REALLY get into them. It's hard to simply like them, they must be loved or not at all. Dave is the most emotional singer/song writer I've heard and I would glady part with a large sum of money to see them play live.

I think it's in large part due to Dave's voice. He's got a fairly unique voice; alot of my friends don't like DMB because they can't stand his voice. Personally I don't judge a band on the vocals, although I happen to really like Dave's singing.

sheephead
11-29-2005, 02:32 PM
indeed, a couple of my flatmates just say he sounds drunk and don't get into the music. Their loss.

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 02:52 PM
DMB=:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MainSlot
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Sorry guys about this being out of topic, but for reason i cant post a new threat and i'm in a hurry.

Does anyone know of an American or European singer or band that have use some spanish words on their lyrics besides U2? I know there are lots of them, but I cant think of one right now and cant find any on the net. I'm writing a paper and need this info asap.
Thanks. I just need the name, song, and lyrics.

zabbit82
11-29-2005, 08:22 PM

Agreed. When I listen to any of their stuff (especaily live), I think it's some of the best **** I've heard. I can't think of a time when I've "liked" them. They're just downright awesome.

np: DMB - Grey Street
Busted Stuff=:thumb:

some jive turkey
11-29-2005, 08:44 PM
real good, but I really don't think this fits in the Jazz/Funk section...

Maybe the indie/alt section, idk, but they're definitaly not Jazz, and most of their songs aren't very funkish...

I totally agree. DMB is about as funky as wonderbread, AND there are only about 900,000 other places on the web to read crap about them.

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Out of curiousity...
...what other musicians are my fellow DMB fans into?

Me?

I'm into Classical music like Vivaldi, Beethoven, Mozart, etc... My fav musicians are Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

When it comes to rock miusic, well...Dave Matthews of course. I also am a huge Zeppelin fan. I really don't think to highly of allota rock music though, so I don't have much to say about that.

givemeaname
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
I basicly like any style except country and stuff like Britney Spears, N'Sync, Eminem, etc. And I'm not a big fan of generic rock. I don't know if that's an actual term, but it's what I tend to call it.

I can never pick a favorite though. But curently I'm listening to alot of BNL, RHCP, RATM, Dream Theater, The Who, Tool, Great Big Sea(another great live band.), The John Butler Trio, The Eagles, and Blues Traveler.

And I've recently been introduced to Opeth, which I'm really liking so far.

ani_starkiller
11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
I never used that term before, but I know exactly what you mean by generic rock.

Hmm... I think your on to something

PinkFreud
12-03-2005, 07:04 PM
personally, i despise the dave matthews band. carter's a good drummer and lessard is a passable bassist but i hate dave's voice, his songwriting, and how people tend to classify him as a jam band. because is not.

to each their own though.

ani_starkiller
12-03-2005, 08:38 PM
eh, what do you know...

PinkFreud
12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
eh, what do you know...
quite a bit actually. what kind of comment was that?

edit: its not like i havent been exposed to him either. i have crash, before these crowded streets, busted stuff, some devil, and everyday. so dont say im close minded. his material just sounds like boring, college radio, frat boy/sorority girl music to me. much like jack johnson and o.a.r.

ljump12
12-04-2005, 07:00 PM
haha li love jack johnson OAR and DMB, oh well.

alan_pfeifer
12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
What makes them not a jam band?

(*The Noonward Race*)
12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
eh, what do you know...
:lol: haha. good.

PinkFreud
12-06-2005, 12:14 AM
What makes them not a jam band?
what makes them a jam band at all?

just because a band "jams" doesnt make it a jam band. kindly direct me to a live recording where dmb actually, flat out, jams for an extended period of time. and think to yourself, are they actually comparable to phish, the allman brothers, the grateful dead, string cheese incident, and other genuine jam bands?

Mad Malik
12-06-2005, 12:43 AM

just because a band "jams" doesnt make it a jam band. kindly direct me to a live recording where dmb actually, flat out, jams for an extended period of time. and think to yourself, are they actually comparable to phish, the allman brothers, the grateful dead, string cheese incident, and other genuine jam bands?
To do that you push the term jam band to a definition the is inaccessable to be used by that person. So they have to look for a new word. But they've found one already so they won't and you will argue maybe a little more. Just say
"I consider jam bands to be more like Phish, The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident" and things will be quieter.
I just hate arguments about genres.

sheephead
12-06-2005, 05:24 AM
haha li love jack johnson OAR and DMB, oh well.

Who are OAR? I'm a fan of Jack Johnson and DMB so I'm curious as to who they are.

Chameleon
12-06-2005, 05:42 AM

Don't use the term jam band like it's something every band should strive to be. I play in what until recently could only really be described as a jam band. I literally have 40 minute tapes of us just jamming...everybody adjusts to each other and we can change everything from the key to the time signature without anybody really getting left behind.

That was until we actually started writing proper songs. Now, like DMB, we have extremely jammy elements (points where we aren't really restricted to specific parts or ideas) within well structured songs. It's a much harder thing to achieve in my opinion, and DMB are superb at it.

PinkFreud
12-06-2005, 01:12 PM
To do that you push the term jam band to a definition the is inaccessable to be used by that person. So they have to look for a new word. But they've found one already so they won't and you will argue maybe a little more. Just say
"I consider jam bands to be more like Phish, The Allman Brothers, The Grateful Dead, String Cheese Incident" and things will be quieter.
I just hate arguments about genres.
true. it still dont consider dmb to be a jam band, though. i came in stating my opinion and ani_starkiller made a snide comment only furthuring my opinion on dave matthews fans as well.

chameleon, though youre banned, im sure youll be back. as i asked before, show me songs where he has "jamamy" elements. im genuinely interested in what you consider jammy.

DemBonez
12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I'll preface this by saying I don't own any Dave Mathews Band, and while they are enjoyable, just aren't my thing. With that said…

kindly direct me to a live recording where dmb actually, flat out, jams for an extended period of time. and think to yourself, are they actually comparable to phish, the allman brothers, the grateful dead, string cheese incident, and other genuine jam bands?

"Jimi Thing" off of their 2003 The Central Park Concert CD. If you want more, I'll ask someone who's way more into them than I am.

Are the Allman Brothers and The Grateful Dead and Phis comparable? They don't sound alike. I mean, what the hell does a "Jam Band" sound like? Does it sound like the Miles Davis post-Bitches Brew incarnations who thrived spontaneity? Or is it more like the Allman Brothers who were notorious for playing encore after encore of extended blues-rock tunes? Or is it more like the Grateful Dead who just dragged their listeners through a strange/hazy journey of sounds? If you are just here to tell us that DMB doesn't sound like the Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, or Phish … then um … thanks.

PinkFreud
12-06-2005, 11:11 PM
im not saying that. i said comparable to, as in style. and yes, the three bands i listed actually DO have similar qualities. They all excel in a live setting, stretch out songs with heavy emphasis on improvisation, and said jams often include blues and jazz influences. Furthermore, their songs are not just lengthened live. studio songs surpass average song lengths many times.

i'll listen to the song you recommended me.

Glitterati
12-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I personally cannot stand these guys, nor do I see how they are jazz.

ani_starkiller
12-07-2005, 01:45 AM
Well, like em or not, there great musicians...no denying that people

PinkFreud
12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
yes, but as emh stated, they have no place in the jazz/fusion subforum.

Chameleon
12-07-2005, 11:34 AM
chameleon, though youre banned, im sure youll be back. as i asked before, show me songs where he has "jamamy" elements. im genuinely interested in what you consider jammy.

Hey, don't bring up my banning...it's a touchy subject! :p

Songs with what I consider to be 'jammy' elements:

Rapunzel - Obviously Carter is all over the shop with insane 'jamming'. The only part that really remains static is the bass which does vary slightly in the first verse. I have a live version of this where the bass is more varied, there is a keyboard playing with a few really nice funky improv moments.

Kit Kat Jam - Big sax solo parts, more great drum jamming, more bass improv. The guy that seems to 'jam' the least is DM himself actually!

Too Much - This is pretty immense as a jammy song for me, more jamming from Dave here and Carter possibly playing some his best stuff.

Have you seen the 'Live in Chicago' DVD? There's a bit in that with Victor Wooten playing solo bass in it, and another guitar guy (not Dave and not the other guy that plays live with them...). The band just sit and jam for a pretty long time, there's a sax solo, a bass solo from Victor, a guitar solo from the other guy, just over a nice steady, relaxed groove.

Oooh I just found a clip I cut out of this a while ago where Victor is doing a slap solo over the very bit i'm talking about: http://funkshake.com/dmb.mp3

Could you maybe describe what you mean by a "jam band"? I don't know if DMB are a jam band but they definitely jam sometimes, I just feel they deserve more merit for their song writing ability. Structure - better than jam. Structured jamming....ultimate :lol:

ani_starkiller
12-07-2005, 11:44 AM
who cares what they are classified as

they are amazing musicians

true tho, they don't belong in the jazz/funk section, but again...who cares what they are classified as

Glitterati
12-08-2005, 07:47 PM
true tho, they don't belong in the jazz/funk section, but again...who cares what they are classified as

The mods. The different forums are here for a reason.

Making a DMB thread here is like making a Stiff Little Fingers thread in R & M or a Prince thread in pop-punk.

ani_starkiller
12-08-2005, 08:03 PM
true

Iskandar
12-09-2005, 08:15 PM
They have a strong jazz influence at least. There are worse forums they could be in.

dragonzmad
12-11-2005, 12:35 AM
what album or DVD did victor wooten play on with dave matthews?

jam9383
12-11-2005, 05:22 AM
They have a strong jazz influence at least. There are worse forums they could be in. and better ones too

Chameleon
12-11-2005, 05:38 AM
what album or DVD did victor wooten play on with dave matthews?

Live In Chicago.

GimmeSlack12
12-11-2005, 05:46 AM
I'd say Dancing Nancies and Crush, from Central Park are good example of jams. And Bartender from Folsom Field Live. EDIT: Two Step from Central Park, also a jam.

I don't mind people not liking or hating DMB, but c'mon, they are a jam band. How can you have a bunch of 9 minute recordings and not say they are jamming? You might rebute "9 minute recordings do not make it a jam." And if you are thinking that, then what is it?

Chameleon
12-11-2005, 06:19 AM
I say they're not a "jam band" because they do so much more than jam. They jam within their songs live, and have some quite cool "jammy" type bits in some of their songs, but that doesn't make them a jam band.

TojesDolan
12-17-2005, 02:26 AM
I have a question... where'd you put their album "Everyday", in terms of quality compared to the rest of their albums?

I have given it some listens, but I still can't really get into the album... I find it slightly repetitive for some reason. I could be wrong, though. I've heard soem songs of other albums and they seem... different, to "Everyday"... so please if you may inform me. Thanks.

knie
12-17-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey, don't bring up my banning...it's a touchy subject! :p

Songs with what I consider to be 'jammy' elements:

Rapunzel - Obviously Carter is all over the shop with insane 'jamming'. The only part that really remains static is the bass which does vary slightly in the first verse. I have a live version of this where the bass is more varied, there is a keyboard playing with a few really nice funky improv moments.

Kit Kat Jam - Big sax solo parts, more great drum jamming, more bass improv. The guy that seems to 'jam' the least is DM himself actually!

Too Much - This is pretty immense as a jammy song for me, more jamming from Dave here and Carter possibly playing some his best stuff.

Have you seen the 'Live in Chicago' DVD? There's a bit in that with Victor Wooten playing solo bass in it, and another guitar guy (not Dave and not the other guy that plays live with them...). The band just sit and jam for a pretty long time, there's a sax solo, a bass solo from Victor, a guitar solo from the other guy, just over a nice steady, relaxed groove.

Oooh I just found a clip I cut out of this a while ago where Victor is doing a slap solo over the very bit i'm talking about: http://funkshake.com/dmb.mp3

Could you maybe describe what you mean by a "jam band"? I don't know if DMB are a jam band but they definitely jam sometimes, I just feel they deserve more merit for their song writing ability. Structure - better than jam. Structured jamming....ultimate :lol:

dave matthews band is amazing. carter, one of the best drummers out there, and dave matthews is just simply an awesome song writer. not a lot of singers can make lyrics like "hike up your skirt a little more" sound lyrical and not perverted, haha.

hey Chameleon, what album is "rapunzel (live)" from (the version you mentioned)? thanks :D

givemeaname
12-17-2005, 09:38 AM
I have a question... where'd you put their album "Everyday", in terms of quality compared to the rest of their albums?

I have given it some listens, but I still can't really get into the album... I find it slightly repetitive for some reason. I could be wrong, though. I've heard soem songs of other albums and they seem... different, to "Everyday"... so please if you may inform me. Thanks.

I have it and I've only listened to it a few times. I don't find that it's too bad, but it's a bit plain in my opinion. I find the songs are tighter and lack the jamminess that they are more known for. Dave Matthews also seemed to use the electric guitar alot more on "Everyday". He'd mainly stuck to acoustic before that. I'd rank it below their earlier stuff.

If your looking for some of their earlier stuff:
Under the Table and Dreaming
Crash
Before These Crowded Streets

Chameleon
12-18-2005, 09:43 AM
dave matthews band is amazing. carter, one of the best drummers out there, and dave matthews is just simply an awesome song writer. not a lot of singers can make lyrics like "hike up your skirt a little more" sound lyrical and not perverted, haha.

hey Chameleon, what album is "rapunzel (live)" from (the version you mentioned)? thanks :D

Hey, it's from "The Gorge" CD (think there's also DVD of it?). I'll be honest...I downloaded this CD. I hope to buy the DVD when I make my DVD player multiregion!

zabbit82
12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
I have it and I've only listened to it a few times. I don't find that it's too bad, but it's a bit plain in my opinion. I find the songs are tighter and lack the jamminess that they are more known for. Dave Matthews also seemed to use the electric guitar alot more on "Everyday". He'd mainly stuck to acoustic before that. I'd rank it below their earlier stuff.

If your looking for some of their earlier stuff:
Under the Table and Dreaming
Crash
Before These Crowded Streets

I know it was only a few years ago, but dont forget to add Busted Stuff to that. Its better than Everyday and sounds great too.

/puts on Before These Crowded Streets

ani_starkiller
12-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Before these crowded streets aint bad, but it's nothing compared to crash and before these crowded streets

darrell
12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Before these crowded streets aint bad, but it's nothing compared to crash and before these crowded streets

Quoted for stupidity. :thumb:

Iskandar
12-24-2005, 05:35 PM
It doesn't compare to itself?

givemeaname
12-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Had a little to drink?

I know it was only a few years ago, but dont forget to add Busted Stuff to that. Its better than Everyday and sounds great too.

/puts on Before These Crowded Streets

I've only heard a couple of songs from Busted Stuff, but I've heard good things about it and have been meaning to pick it up.

ani_starkiller
01-29-2006, 03:46 AM

haha...what was i thinking?