PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 Rock/Metal Vocalists: Round 1, Poll F

YDload
11-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans out there. Turkey is good, but don't be a turkey and say stupid things in these polls! I'll figuratively chop your head off for asking where a certain vocalist is when there are other polls that they could be in!

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin):

Robert Plant was the soulful lead singer of one of the most influential rock bands of all time. Early Zep songs were really nothing more than covers of old blues tunes, but Plant gave it his all by affecting a throaty croon which gave the songs a new life. His rockstar image and frequent "ooh yeah" ad-libs made him the quintessential frontman of his day. Later Zep originals contained mystical lyrics that often meant nothing (at least not that Plant could recall), but he still sang these cryptic words with such bravado and emotion that anyone could take them in and give them a personal meaning.

"To seek the man whose pointing hand, The giant step unfolds
To guide us from the curving path, That churns up into stone
If one bell should ring, in celebration for a king
So fast the heart should beat, As proud the head with heavy feet.
With the mighty arms of Atlas, hold the heavens from the earth." -Achilles Last Stand

...I'm not going to put any other lyrics up there. Just reading them from the lyrics website gave me chills, and I can't even explain it. They're just words on a screen, but as I imagine Plant singing them in what is arguably the band's best song...I told you it would mean something! Dammit I don't even like Led Zeppelin except for this song really.

Layne Staley (Alice In Chains):

Another casualty of the grunge movement (although he still outlasted the music itself), Staley was a powerful singer with a unique voice that perfectly complemented the band's dark and moody image. He could also harmonize with guitarist Jerry Cantrell for an extra dose of power, and his legacy is unfortunately overshadowed by the first martyr of the 90s, Kurt Cobain of Nirvana. The only thing more tragic than a Seattle grunge singer dying is when nobody cares about it.

"Into the flood again, same old trip it was last time.
So I made a big mistake, would you rather see it once my way?" -Would?

"Like the coldest winter chill, heaven beside you, hell within." -Heaven Beside You

Cedric Bixler-Zavala (At the Drive-In/The Mars Volta):

Cedric is a unique vocalist whose talents have expanded in recent years as the musical direction of his bands has changed as well. He started out in a small-time punk/indie rock band called At the Drive-In, which was just five kids from El Paso who couldn't play their instruments worth a damn but put on a show just the same. Cedric's voice resembled that of Zach De La Rocha if he tried to sing, with about equally successful results. When he wasn't flailing around onstage, he was barking out strings of nonsensical lyrics that rarely had any message at all. When he and guitarist Omar Rodriguez broke up the band, they formed The Mars Volta, a progressive band that mashes together salsa and Yes with unexplainable results. Now Cedric had an actual singing voice, but it was very high-pitched and still belted out the same pseudo-literate garbage as before. But with his newfound singing abilities, he could bring these random words to life through sheer determination.

"Exoskeletal junction at the railroad delayed." -Roulette Dares (TMV)

"Evaporated the fur because it covered them, if you only knew the plans they had for us" -Eriatarka (TMV)

"Beyond the anthills of the dawning of this plague/said I've lost my way/even if this cul-de-sac would pay." -Cicatriz ESP (TMV)

"Was he robbed of the asphalt that cushioned his face? A room colored charlatan hid in a safe/stalk the ground." -Televators (TMV)

"Please get some medication/simple it's simple again/we must die with dignity." -Ticklish (ATDI)

"Callous heels numbed in travel/endless maps made by their scalpels/scal-pullllllls YEAH! YEEEEEEEEEAH! YYYYEEEEEAH!" -Invalid Litter Dept. (ATDI)

Russell Allen (Symphony X):

I don't know much about Russell, but I had the good fortune of seeing him live and he's definitely a talented prog/power metal singer. I mean, he pretty much HAS to be if he's gonna be in a band like that. He looks a bit like Rocco in The Boondock Saints, or whatever the guy's name is who hangs out with the two brothers. He's also a very emotive singer, which is great! I would say this: consider voting for him.

Lord Worm (Cryptopsy):

I don't have a bio on him, but he's usually considered one of the top death metal guys. A good scream/growl will get you everywhere in that genre.

Warrel Dane (Nevermore):

Oh wow, another singer I saw live at Gigantour! But I have not erred in putting him in the same poll as Allen, as they are different singers. Warrel is in a thrash band, but doesn't sing with the kind of goofy growl you might expect when seeing him for the first time. He's got a great heavy metal singing voice which fits the music perfectly, and there's no doubting his talent.

Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters):

Originally the drummer for Nirvana, Dave Grohl branched out into fronting his own band with the catchy rock group Foo Fighters. He's not that bad of a singer, but it's really just another part of Grohl's multi-talented arsenal that he does competently, but not amazingly.

"It's times like these you learn to live again
It's times like these you learn to love again
It's times like these, time and time again" -Times Like These

"And I wonder when I sing along with you
if everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
The only thing Iíll ever ask of you
Youíve got to promise not to stop when I say when she sang" -Everlong

"Is someone getting the best, the best, the best, the best of you?" -Best of You

Glenn Danzig (Misfits/solo): (thanks Spat Out Plath!)

It's not easy being the muscle-bound king of horror-punk/metal, not that Glenn Danzig would know. He has, however, established himself as one of punk and hard rock's most enduring figures, inspiring bands as wide-ranging as Metallica, AFI and Cradle of Filth. Growing up, he was influenced in equal parts by early rock singers Elvis Presley and Roy Orbison and hard rock acts like The Doors and Black Sabbath. After leaving school he formed The Misfits, with whom he could indulge his comic book fantasies and his interest in the occult. After that band disbanded, Glenn took his crooning vocal style (part-Jim Morrison, part-Elvis Presley) to darker rock acts Samhain and Danzig, scoring his one big pop hit with the latter in 1993, entitled "Mother". His vocal style has been acquired some notable punk singers in recent years, the most notable being Davey Havok of AFI and Nick 13 of Tiger Army.

"I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch/You better think about it baby!" - Where Eagles Dare

"Well I got somethin' to say/I killed your baby today/And it doesn't matter much to me/As long as it's dead." - last Caress

"They call us walking corpses/Unholy living dead/They had to lock us up/Put us in their British hell." - London Dungeon

Gregg Allman (The Allman Brothers Band/solo): (thanks jpj!)

Hailing from Macon, Georgia, Gregg Allman was co-founder, organist, songwriter, and vocalist for The Allman Brothers Band, who are usually credited as being one of the founding fathers, along with The Grateful Dead, of "jam rock." His raw and bluesy, yet soulful voice meshed perfectly with ABB's unique blend of blues, country, rock, and in some cases jazz. Gregg was often outshined by his brother Duane and Dickey Betts, but he was still a key part of the band. His songs are among the their most notable originals, and of course his voice added a whole other dimension to ABB's revolutionary sound, whether he was wailing away on blues rock anthems such as "Whipping Post" or showing off his voice's unique elegance on like "Midnight Rider" and "Melissa."

Gregg's solo work which is much more soul and gospel influenced shows his great vocal talent even more so than his work the the Allmans, but of course his greatest success came with the band that bears his name.

Nowadays, years of alcohol abuse, smoking, and heroin addiction are evident in Gregg's voice, like so many other great vocalists of his day. Though on a good day one can still catch Gregg sounding good as he did back in '71, evoking such raw emotion with his voice one gets the sense that Gregg's a man who's spent years "tied to the whipping post."

"Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel/Like I been tied to the whipping post/Tied to the whipping post/Tied to the whipping post/Good lord, I feel like Iím dyiní."-Whipping Post

"Well, Iíve got to run to keep from hiding/And Iím bound to keep on riding/And Iíve got one more silver dollar/But Iím not gonna let them catch me, no/Not gonna let íem catch the midnight rider."-Midnight Rider

"Well by and by, way after many years have gone/And all the war freaks die off, leavin' us alone/We'll raise our children in the peaceful way we can/It's up to you and me brother/To try and try again."-Ain't Wastin' Time No More

Morrissey (The Smiths/solo):

This guy was at the forefront of the emerging indie-rock movement of the mid-80s. He has a fine voice that carried him over into a solo career after leaving The Smiths, and that's all I really know about him! Maybe someone from the Alt/Indie forum (or perhaps the moderator whose name comes from this man) will shed some light on Morrissey.

ok those are all the bands ugh that was a lot of words.

Glitterati
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
First post...

Wow, this is tough.

Shadows
11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Wow, second post! I like most of the talented people up there, but I'm going to have to go with my gut instinct and vote Warrel Dane. That guy is a great singer.

Woodstock
11-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Um, I'm gonna go with Allman. He has a very distinctive voice that works perfectly with his sound.

ArC
11-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Um, I'm gonna go with Allman. He has a very distinctive voice that works perfectly with his sound.

I completely agree, but i'm gonna have to go with Cedric for this one for the same reason. Tough choice.

PepsiMetal
11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm going with Glenn Danzig.

Leper
11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Plant. No surprise to anyone I'm sure.

Jacaranda
11-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Going with Morrissey because Cedric will get by with the TMV fanboys, and because I'm not feeling much love for Danzig or Lord Worm at the moment.

Sleeper
11-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Danzig

GenuineImitation
Russel Allen. It was tough with Plant, Stanley and Danzig up there.

YDload
I haven't voted on this one yet, even though I usually do after posting the poll. I can't decide between Plant and Bixler because they both have the inhuman ability to make gibberish sound meaningful (and annoy lots of people with their wailing at the same time :)). I already mentioned how powerful "Achilles Last Stand" felt to me because of Plant's delivery, but will he really need the vote? I doubt it, but then again I just want to vote for who I like the most and not worry about trying to make them win.

heavy metal kid
11-24-2005, 11:08 PM
oh man, this was the hardest vote for me, i'm voting for Layne(for the win), but i wan't also to see Danzig in the next round.

DeusExMachina
11-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Tough call. Probably Cedric Bixler, but not sure yet.

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Danzig has the best voice out of all the ones I know in this poll. I vote him but it was hard turning down Gregg like that.

Plant's voice makes me want to vomit.

PinkFreud
11-24-2005, 11:31 PM
layne. great vocalist, awesome beard.

Otherside
11-24-2005, 11:37 PM
Cedric, most def.

TheDMV
11-24-2005, 11:43 PM
I really don't want to go with Plant, because although he may be the most talented, he whines too much for me.

I'm leaning towards Layne Staley or Grohl.

ATC
11-24-2005, 11:48 PM
I voted Warrel Dane but it was hard to overlook Staley and Gregg Allman. PS: Robert Plant sounds way better solo than in Zeppelin. I would have considered post-Zep Plant worthy of my vote.

Freezing Moon
11-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Warrel is in a thrash band
Nevermore isn't thrash.

I'll think about it for a day or so, but most likely I will be voting Lord Worm.

BlackDeathMetalJazz or really ANYTHING else please-
11-25-2005, 12:41 AM
really don't want to go with Plant, because although he may be the most talentedI'm left without words with this statment. :eek:

PepsiMetal
11-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Robert Plant has a very unique voice, although it does get annoying and boring quickly.

Huber
11-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Russel Allen, for sure.

TheDMV
11-25-2005, 12:47 AM
I'm left without words with this statment. :eek:

why? what good is talent if you can't use it to your/its full potential?

King_Of_Terrors
11-25-2005, 12:50 AM
After staring at my wall for 2 minutes I decided upon Gregg Allman. His voice isn't great or anything, but it is unique in many ways, and he can still use his accent :D. My dad personally knew the whole band, so that's another reason.

ThrashMaster27
11-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Wow, pretty easy one for me this time. The only 2 contenders were Glenn Danzig and Morrissey.

Went with Danzig.

SoLs
11-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Plant, easy choice

blue3
11-25-2005, 01:01 AM
Layne Staley.

CantBuyAThrill
11-25-2005, 01:02 AM
Allman's going to need more help than Plant, so I went with him.

King_Of_Terrors
11-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Allman's going to need more help than Plant, so I went with him.

Good choice. Plant is great, but he will win every other vocalist contest.

Wish
11-25-2005, 02:24 AM
Gregg Allman.

repcak
11-25-2005, 02:40 AM
i voted for Robert Plant... his lyrics in Stairways to heaven are one of the greatest someone ever wrote :D

StreetlightRock
11-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Also went with Plant - I'm an absolute fanboy, and i love his voice.

Six Foot Revolver
11-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Mr. Bixler for the win!

Riva
11-25-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm going to have to go for Danzig here.

Tommi Hendrix
11-25-2005, 05:22 AM
Damn. all these ledzep fanboys.

Layne Staley aaaaaaaaall the way

Tommi Hendrix
11-25-2005, 05:26 AM
i voted for Robert Plant... his lyrics in Stairways to heaven are one of the greatest someone ever wrote :D
Then tell me what that means:

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed
With a word she can get what she came for

Woe oh oh oh oh oh

There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
And you know sometimes words have two meanings
In the tree by the brook there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven

Woe oh oh oh oh oh

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

Woe oh oh oh oh oh

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forest will echo with laughter

And it makes me wonder

If there's a bustle in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May Queen

Yes there are two paths you can go by
but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Your head is humming and it won't go because you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady can't you hear the wind blow and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our souls
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Woe oh oh oh oh oh

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed
With a word she can get what she came for

And she's buying a stairway to heaven, uh uh uh

:confused:

To me it makes no sense really.
Mayb you can explain it to me.

Stormrider
11-25-2005, 05:47 AM
I went with Warrel Dane on this one. I think he has a very unique voice.

WeezerTool523
11-25-2005, 06:11 AM
Cedric Bixler.

superpeer
11-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Hmm, Staley or Lord worm. /ponders

WeezerTool523
11-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Stairway lyrics don't make sense as far as I know. I believed Plant just quickly wrote 'poetic mumbojumbo' to go with the song when it was written.

superpeer
11-25-2005, 06:19 AM
Stairway lyrics don't make sense as far as I know. I believed Plant just quickly wrote 'poetic mumbojumbo' to go with the song when it was written.

No, no. He wrote satanic messages and then reversed it.

Broken Arrow
11-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Gregg Allman!

nowitzki
11-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Was a tough choice between Plant, Bixler and Danzig, but in the end I went for the Evil Elvis.

denboy
11-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Noone up there that I'm completely crazy about, other than maybe, cedric and plant.. . I don't think I'll vote in this one

Iron Bars
11-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Morrissey is great lyrics writer but i don't think he's that good of a singer. I like Danzig alot too but voted for Allen.

-The Frank
11-25-2005, 07:22 AM
I was going to choose morrisey, but i chose danzig.

Collis
11-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Even though I do admit to being a Mars Volta fanboy ... it is just too tough to call between Cedric and Plant ....

Moses
11-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Russell Allen

The man you should all vote for, Russell Allen, is one of the few trained singers with a unique sound in today's world of nasal belting. Singing from the age of 5, he gained influences from just about every genre out there as he got older. A fan of Jonny Cash, Iron Maiden, Tool and Pink Floyd, he found the perfect genre and band for him, power prog in Symphony X. He's the perfect power metal singer and lucky for Symphony X, they have him.

Somthing that alot of people don't know is that he played clarinet, drums, piano and guitar. Originally he was a replacement singer for the band's old singer and was recommended by both the old singer and bass player to fill the spot. He actually went back and sang in chior arrangements for songs like The Divine Wings Of Tragedy, just like he used to in highschool.

One thing I stress is he is TRAINED!! You aren't going to find a technically better singer that still retains a pleasant voice like his.

Ace_of_Bass2112
11-25-2005, 07:59 AM
easy pick for me. Warrel Dane

Time
11-25-2005, 08:04 AM
its hard.....but gregg needs it so i'll go with him.

Otherside
11-25-2005, 08:34 AM

What? Try worst ever written...

Kyle
11-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Robert Plant, Cedric Bixlar and Layne Staley in the same Poll!!! ahhhh!

I went with Layne.

paranoid923
11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Hmmm... Plant and Allen are both amazing singers especially live. But since Plant is definately moving on anways, I'm going with Allen.

Converge
11-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Morrissey.

ThisEnds
11-25-2005, 09:54 AM
The only people that should be getting votes are Warrel Dane and Russell Allan, IMO. I go with Dane.

Steerpike
11-25-2005, 10:00 AM
I voted Danzig, as the man is one of my personal musical inspirations. Technically speaking, he's a very accomplished singer as well. He's been able to blend rockabilly with hard rock, punk, and metal into a very distinctive voice. Also impressive is his range as a baritone in a genre dominated mostly be tenors.

naboo
11-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Wow this is hard. Russell Allen and Warrel Dane. Too hard man. They're two of my all time favorite vocalists but I'll have to go with Dane because he can sound of the pure emotion he puts into the songs like Poison God Machine and Forever.

Russell kicks serious *** too though.

Dude3
11-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Layne

\m/

crag
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
hm, Russel Allen gets my vote

Futuro
11-25-2005, 10:31 AM
My secret obsession is Led Zeppelin... ¬_¬

scenesfromatheater
11-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm with Cedric on this one.

NP: The Mars Volta - Televators

Lunch
11-25-2005, 10:39 AM
I went with Plant, even though his voice gets annoying to me sometimes, he's a great singer.

I can hear Schyma crying about this already.

Joe
11-25-2005, 11:15 AM
This is going to be tough. I think it's toss up. I really like Allman's voice and I like Plant's voice, but only for awhile. I like Dave Grohl's voice a lot. I'll check the results and see who needs it.

Wow Dave Grohl really needs it... I voted Allman

Metallion#666
11-25-2005, 11:19 AM
I went Russell Allen. He has one of the greatest voices in metal

Deth
11-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Danzig, but I really don't care too much about anyone in this poll.

Kage
11-25-2005, 11:41 AM
What an awful poll. I don't like anyone up there, except the Nevermore singer and Dave Grohl, but I don't really think they deserve to be in the top 100 vocalists. =\

Shadows
11-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I find it funny that Dave Grohl is getting fewer votes then Lord Worm.

Metallion#666
11-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Thats because L.Worm is better.

Steerpike
11-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Lord Worm rips out his larynx, stamps on it, plays baseball with it, then puts it back in before going up ot the microphone. But he's in a death metal band, so it's okay.

Dave Grohl is in a radio-friendly rock band, but no matter what the subject matter of the song is, he's always yelling like someone just hit him on the head with a hammer. "Is someone getting the best, the best... Agghh! My skull!!"

Still, they're both better than Hetfield and Corey Taylor.

Det_Nosnip
11-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Robert Plant, Russell Allen, Layne Staley, and Warrell Dane, all in the same ****ing poll. THIS ISN'T FAIR!!!!!!!! WA WA WA WA bitch bitch bitch bitch *cries*

Det_Nosnip
11-25-2005, 12:12 PM
*cheats* looks like Allen is doing better than Warrel, so I'll vote for him! I'm still going to whine about this poll, though...those 4 are among my top 10 male vocalists of all time. :(

Shattered_Future
11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Allen, by far.

Dane has a decent voice, but it gets on my nerves once in a while.

Allen has such an awesome voice. The emotion he creates is absolutely brilliant.

Plus, he does a good job of sucking the crowd in. Must be his biker-styled attitude. :lol:

Metallion#666
11-25-2005, 12:30 PM
well put.

halfdeadhippo
11-25-2005, 12:34 PM
I voted for Allen, but I had trouble deciding between him, Worm, Bixler, Plant, Staley, and Warrel Dane.

thickasabrick
11-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Robert Plant

scenesfromatheater
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Woot, Dave Grohl with only one vote :lol:

BassCozzy
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
plant should win!!!!!!!!!:D

scenesfromatheater
11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
plant should win!!!!!!!!!:D
He'll win this poll easy, but will he beat Freddie in the next rounds???

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-25-2005, 02:09 PM
I'll go with one of my two favorite vocalists - Layne Staley. His voice is so powerful and distinctive.

BassCozzy
11-25-2005, 02:12 PM
He'll win this poll easy, but will he beat Freddie in the next rounds???

Mecury?????????????:eek:

PepsiMetal
11-25-2005, 02:14 PM

No, Mercury. :p

Lol, Robert Plant shouldn't beat Freddie Mercury.

BassCozzy
11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
No, Mercury. :p

Lol, Robert Plant shouldn't beat Freddie Mercury.

u know what i ment lol,yeah i'll vote freddie he's a genius,but i think i generally prefer plants lyrics

scenesfromatheater
11-25-2005, 02:53 PM

No...Freddie.....errrr.....Smith? <_< >_>

the2stranger
11-25-2005, 03:08 PM
easy :cool:

Plant!

TojesDolan
11-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Bixler. That voice is so bad it's unreachable.

nirvana_33
11-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Layne for me. Maybe because I happen to be listening to AiC at the moment but I really liked his voice.

Bazarov
11-25-2005, 05:00 PM
This was tough. I had a hard time voting for either Staley or Lord Worm. But because I don't think Lord Worm will make it very far, I went with him.

angusvsslash52
11-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Layne Staley

YDload
11-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I ended up voting for Plant. I'd be a hypocrite if I voted for someone just so they could win or make fifth place or whatever.

eighty d
11-25-2005, 05:51 PM
he's always yelling like someone just hit him on the head with a hammer. "Is someone getting the best, the best... Agghh! My skull!!"

:thumb:

gah, allen and dane in the same poll. two of my favorite clean metal singers of all time.

i think i have to go with dane. the end last chorus of the river dragon has come...

Salivation
11-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Glenn Danzig

Daven
11-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Lord Worm definitely.

zabbit82
11-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Robert Plant

classicrockman
11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Robert Plant...cause I'm easily influenced.

Just kidding, Led Zeppelin rules. :thumb:

dr._feelgood
11-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Layne, because Plant doesn't need the help.

Moon Flavor
11-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Robert Plant...cause I'm easily influenced.

Just kidding, Led Zeppelin rules. :thumb:
You're kidding, but it's most likely true.

Russel Allen, no doubt about it.

Moses
11-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Russell Allen should be winning this, WTF!!!??

Stringbreaker
11-25-2005, 08:47 PM
I had to go with plant he is one of my biggest vocal influences.

temporary
11-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Cedric won by a hair over Gregg. Staley was a far off third, too.

Dr. Jake Destructo
11-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Russell Allen should be winning this, WTF!!!??

That's who I voted for. He's the man, but I knew he didn't have a chance against Plant to begin with. :p

Moses
11-25-2005, 09:51 PM
I had to go with plant he is one of my biggest vocal influences.
Sucks for you...... just kidding a little.:D

Toaster
11-25-2005, 09:53 PM
If you didn't vote Lord Worm you suck.

Dr. Jake Destructo
11-25-2005, 10:05 PM
If you honestly think that, you suck.

tehnick
11-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Plant, although he didn't really need the vote.

Toaster
11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
If you honestly think that, you suck.

Haha, I'm still waiting for the big upset. Worm overtakes Plant! :eek:

vashts80
11-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Jesus christ

Dane, Worm, Layne and Allen in the same damn poll :(

Voting for Worm cos he needs the most help. Blashphemy for the 54 who voted for Plant, his whining is horrendous

Shadows Within
11-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Wow, second post! I like most of the talented people up there, but I'm going to have to go with my gut instinct and vote Warrel Dane. That guy is a great singer.
me too :thumb:

Shout it Out
11-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Oh no! I'm listening to the Allman Brothers and I forgot how great he is! Damn!

Phuck you Plant! You ruined my vote...
:upset:

morrissey
11-26-2005, 12:25 AM
I voted Morrissey, he worked his way around a lack of singing ability and managed to be quite untraditional while working within a standard pop frame. I would do a short writeup as suggested but the kind of people who would vote for him already know that information.

His lack of votes in here is pretty shocking but then again this is R&M and not A&I. He's not the sort of artist who would ever win one of these competitions.

YDload
11-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I voted Morrissey, he worked his way around a lack of singing ability and managed to be quite untraditional while working within a standard pop frame. I would do a short writeup as suggested but the kind of people who would vote for him already know that information.

His lack of votes in here is pretty shocking but then again this is R&M and not A&I. He's not the sort of artist who would ever win one of these competitions.

So what you are saying, morrissey, is that you are voting for Morrissey. Am I correct?

Moses
11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
I did a short writeup on the second or third page I believe. If you'd like to use it, it's there.

morrissey
11-26-2005, 12:54 AM
So what you are saying, morrissey, is that you are voting for Morrissey. Am I correct?
You've got it.

TemperamentalGoat
11-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Russel Allen. Symphony X has awesome vocals.

Moses
11-26-2005, 01:03 AM
I'd say out of any of the vocalists up there, Russell Allen has the most tolerable yet technically talented voice up there. If he doesn't make it through I will be very, very angry.

Steerpike
11-26-2005, 01:17 AM
I'd say out of any of the vocalists up there, Russell Allen has the most tolerable yet technically talented voice up there. If he doesn't make it through I will be very, very angry.

You got the uploads I sent out over the summer of Wuthering Heights, right? Nils Patrick Johansson counts Allen as one of his two primary influences, and his versatility shows that.

I was disappointed though that he didn't make the cut this year. Not enough people know about him. :upset:

YDload
11-26-2005, 01:31 AM
You got the uploads I sent out over the summer of Wuthering Heights, right? Nils Patrick Johansson counts Allen as one of his two primary influences, and his versatility shows that.

I was disappointed though that he didn't make the cut this year. Not enough people know about him. :upset:

Well, you can't get all the power-metal singers you want, if that's what you're referring to (and knowing you, I'm just guessing it is). Say were you at Gigantour when it came to Pittsburgh? I wasn't sure, but Russell Allen, Warrel Dane, and James LaBrie make for some interesting frontmen with good voices.

Doctor Night
11-26-2005, 03:11 AM
Robert Plant!

manuscriptreplica
11-26-2005, 04:27 AM
I wanted to vote for Lord Worm, but my fanboyism made me go for Bixler

3rdplanet
11-26-2005, 04:47 AM
I feel like voting for Danzig but something about it just feels all wrong.

blackout
11-26-2005, 04:54 AM
Go danzig!

tehnick
11-26-2005, 06:01 AM
Looks like the top 3 are pretty clear. But i guess Allen COULD catch up.

Chu
11-26-2005, 08:39 AM
I voted for Lord Worm! ... :upset:

OliHendrix
11-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Chris Cornell anyone?

Voyage34
11-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Very hard choice between Russell Allen and Warrel Dane, but I went for Russell in the end.

Lord Abortion
11-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Moz, no question.

omork
11-26-2005, 09:26 AM
i voted for Lord Worm

ZaaR
11-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Easily Cedric.

Moses
11-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I still listen to those Wuthering Heights songs. If there weren't so many good powermetal singers maybe one would make it to the top 10.

Dr. Jake Destructo
11-26-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm really kind of wondering why people are voting Cedric. I'm an ATDI/TMV fan, but Cedric is definitely not one of the reasons why I like those bands. :-/

I honestly would like to know what you guys hear in his voice. I'm not being a dick, I just want to know.

the2stranger
11-26-2005, 10:55 AM
I'm really kind of wondering why people are voting Cedric. I'm an ATDI/TMV fan, but Cedric is definitely not one of the reasons why I like those bands. :-/

I honestly would like to know what you guys hear in his voice. I'm not being a dick, I just want to know.
I'm not a big fan of neither, but I prefer his voice in TMV over ATD anyday.

but that aside, his voice is really quite catchy IMO.
suits the music fine, I couldn't imagine them with another vocalist.
must be his vocal melodies that make it so catchy and wonderfull, I din't vote form him though.
I voted Plant :)

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-26-2005, 11:23 AM
Layne Fvcking Staley!

Brewer14
11-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Allman!

EverytimeIBodom
11-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Warrel Dane.

Darkness
11-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Warrel Dane.

liveafterdeath
11-26-2005, 01:35 PM
i actually vote for alexi, cuz if you listen to their version of "rebel yell" his voice isnt that bad.
but i would have voted for bruce dickinson if they had him.

lost_profits
11-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I voted Cedric more for his ATDI expeditions.

The pure angst in his voice in 'Arcarsenal' b y ATDI and some of the high notes he hits in La Via La Viaquez by TMV are two examples.

My favourite Bixler song would be Cosmonaut. Followed closely by Eriatarka.

IAJP
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
I voted for Morrissey, I'd be suprised if he got through.

jaco jr
11-26-2005, 01:49 PM
hmmm
this is interesting, lord worm can growl better than most people
but the nevermore singers voice is incredibly unique, im not sure who to go for

robo2448
11-26-2005, 02:07 PM
Greg Allman. He's just 1 vote out of 5th, he should go through. Easy poll for me.

eriatarka
11-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Cedric!Incredible singer.

YDload
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM

Maybe you're not good at reading the first post, then.

apple pie
11-26-2005, 04:38 PM
robert plant

Dr. Jake Destructo
11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Maybe you're not good at reading the first post, then.

Maybe I wanted a little something more than to hear that he has a unique voice. Of course he has a unique voice, everyone in this poll has a unique voice in their own right.

Bah, this is pointless. If I offended you, you shouldn't be.

Shadows Within
11-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Hard choice between Russell Allen and Warrel Dane but i chose Warrel.

YDload
11-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Maybe I wanted a little something more than to hear that he has a unique voice. Of course he has a unique voice, everyone in this poll has a unique voice in their own right.

I told you, he makes nonsensical lyrics sound like they mean something, much like Plant. That's the simplest way to put it.

Otherside
11-26-2005, 07:01 PM

I just happen to think his voice is unique, and fits very well with their music. It's more of an opinion than anything, I just happen to enjoy listening to him.

lost_profits
11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Warrell Dane's voice came across as very difficult to me. I enjoyed some of the moments in Born, but his 'I am sentient number 6' is cringeworthy. In fact I'm going to be probably the only one on here who says 'This Godless Endeavour' falls well short of the hype. I was expecting it to hit me like a jet pilot but it didn't. Again, theres a chance it will grow on me but thats 3 weeks and trying.

BlindWriting
11-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Gotta go with Cedric.

Maggot Dream
11-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I went with Plant, as as he's one of my favorites.

i am the robots
11-27-2005, 12:10 AM
I voted Worm, I mean... the 27 second scream in Open Face Surgery is pretty freaking intense.

Jawaharal
11-27-2005, 12:33 AM
can't decide between cedric or Lord Worm.

Moses
11-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Warrell Dane's voice came across as very difficult to me. I enjoyed some of the moments in Born, but his 'I am sentient number 6' is cringeworthy. In fact I'm going to be probably the only one on here who says 'This Godless Endeavour' falls well short of the hype. I was expecting it to hit me like a jet pilot but it didn't. Again, theres a chance it will grow on me but thats 3 weeks and trying.
Talk about minority opinion.

Zmev
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
LORD WORM

Daryl
11-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Robert Plant

Jev
11-28-2005, 04:37 AM
I guess I'll go with Rusell Allen.

Moses
11-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Grrr. Three more votes for Russell to take 3rd. COME ON!!!!@!@#@MN#I@@!@

Hells Bells
11-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Russel Allen.

He has complete control over his voice, he'll go in an instant from edgy, powerful vocals to softer and operatic.

NP King of Terrors - Symphony X. Russel does a freaking awesome scream in this song.

lost_profits
11-29-2005, 01:46 AM
Talk about minority opinion.

Exactly. But it's still an opinion. No album is perfect, and not every album suits everyones tastes.

scenesfromatheater
11-29-2005, 03:09 AM
I voted Worm, I mean... the 27 second scream in Open Face Surgery is pretty freaking intense.

What about MJK's (Tool) 30 second scream in Tool - The Grudge

an0therface
11-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Cedric, a more unique vocal and I get hard over At The Drive-In

potocheese
11-29-2005, 09:41 AM
i voted plant. hes a good model of metal rock... now a days people praised him..

Bartender
11-29-2005, 10:04 AM

I'm not sure what you're listening to, but on my album that particular vocalisation runs from about 6:59 to 7:22 in the song.

It's also at a lower pitch. More like a yell.

Iai
11-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Decided Morrissey was a lost cause and went for Stayley.

Thisisme?
11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Plants voice gives me a hard-on, and i am totally into chicks.

That fact alone makes him win by a mile, or at least 6.25 inches.

Iai
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Rumours have him far bigger than that.

And you far smaller. :p

rhcp pman
11-29-2005, 02:04 PM
I think the Grudge's scream was about 24 seconds.

What about Dickinson's 36 second note in Rock AM Ring?

/fanboy

A_Guy
11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
That was a toughie. I had a really hard time choosing between Staley and Plant. It's hard to pick either when their vocal styles are so different.

heavy metal kid
11-29-2005, 10:55 PM
I can't belive Danzig didn't make it.(hopes for some kind of special thread)

Moses
11-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Damn, Russell Allen didn't make it......

Come on wild card thread.

ace_of_punk
11-29-2005, 11:15 PM
I live near Seattle, so I'm required to say Layne Staley

Ret-
11-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Definatley Russell Allen out of that lot, Lord Worm is also very good for his death metal growls.