PDA

View Full Version : Schecter Exotic

Jabawanga
11-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Well here it is, the Schecter Exotic. I've had this bass for months now and have practiced with the band many times with it so I figured it's time for a review.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/1/0/229610.jpg

FEATURES:

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Neck-Thru / 34"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Solid Zebra Wood Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Multi-Laminate Wenge/Bubinga/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Abalone Dots
PICKUPS: Duncan Designed SB-101
ELECTRONICS: Master Vol/Blend/BEQ-3 EQ
BRIDGE: Diamond Custom
BINDING: None
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Satin Gold
COLOR: Hand-Rubbed Natural Oil

LIST PRICE: $1179
PURCHASED PRICE: $799 (musiciansfriend)

Features: 4/5

This bass has many great features including a Duncan 3 band active EQ and a "Slap" contour switch. The Duncan EQ is nice (not as sensitive as my Cort RB4 but still nice). The pickup blend is also nice depending on the style I'm using. The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 is because I find the slap switch to be quite useless. The switch also broke on me and I replaced it with a better one from radio shack because it was making a very annoying staticy noise. Other than that the features are wonderful. Apparently Sade re-wired the slap switch to be more useful, but I'm not gonna even bother.

Factory Setup: 4/5

Who knows what the bass went through before arriving to me, but it was setup pretty well for standard tuning considering. Minor fret buzz in some places and got much worse when drop tuned, but after a professional setup it handles drop C quite well. It is beginning to buzz again which is understandable due to weather change etc but I'm pretty satisfied.

Electronics: 3.5/5

This bass has Duncan Designed SB-101 pickups at the neck and bridge. Honestly I would've rather seen something like Barts on it or maybe higher end Seymours but they're fairly nice pickups. Haven't had any problems with the pickups or the pre-amp.

Playability: 4.5/5

This bass plays and feels very solid. The only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 is because IMO the pickups are a tad too long. I rest my thumb on the pickup when playing on the E string and it feels a little odd to me. With time I've gotten used to it but I'd still prefer the pickups to be a bit shorter.

Tone: 5/5

Simply amazing. The slap tone really stands out, but this bass is also great for fingerstyle. I don't play with a pick so I can't describe that tone but for slapping or fingerstyle or tapping this bass is perfect. I'd describe the tone as being a little "darker" than other Schecters I've played due to the bubinga/wenge neck as well as the zebrawood/mahogany body. For my purposes this tone is perfect because that's what I prefer when playing with my metal band.

Hardware: 5/5

After being professionally setup the bass stays in tune amazingly (and in drop C). The Grover tuners are very nice and the Diamond bridge is wonderful.

Aesthetics: 5/5

Definitely a beautiful bass. I love the gold hardware and the zebrawood is great. I wasn't sure if I liked the headstock before buying but now I love it.

Overall: 4.4/5

This is a great bass overall. I don't really have any major complaints. If you like Schecters and can dish out $800 I highly recommend it.

Machines
11-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Lovely looking bass, wish we could get hold of them easily in the UK :upset:.

Any chance of soundclips ?

Jabawanga
11-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah I'm buying a tech 21 sansamp today so i'll do a recording through that and post a link probably tonight sometime.