PDA

View Full Version : Help me out guys, please =P

shard
11-15-2005, 05:48 PM
hi, i have to write a paper in my history of american pop culture class about a current form of popular culture, and i being the green day fan i am choose green day. And since i have to pick i specific example i picked the American Idiot Album. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could let me know:

1.) If you bought the album or not (for simplicity if you dl'ed it thats the same as buying)

2.) Why you did or didn't buy the album

3.) Your gender

4.) Your class (just upper, middle, or lower)

5.) Your age

6.) Your over impression of the album

Thanks a lot

DepthsOfDreams555
11-15-2005, 05:49 PM
You would pick the American Idiot album.

1. Yes

2. I like Green Day and my friend had it and I listened to it and it was good.

3. Male

4. Middle

5. 15

6. I thought the album was good, it wasn't their best album but it seems all of these crazy Green Day fans are popping up all over the place and praising American Idiot for being so amazing. I liked the album but it wasn't that amazing and now everyone seems to be a Green Day fan which I hate. And thats it.

B
11-15-2005, 05:55 PM
1. No

2. Because I don't really like Green Day. Some songs are good but others annoy me.

3. Male

4. Middle

5. 15

6. Well, I haven't heard the whole thing so I don't know. They seem to have bought into the whole political thing which is alright I guess. It's ok, some songs that I've heard have stood out a bit. If they weren't as popular it may have seemed better but the singles get way too overplayed here in Canada so it makes me despise some of the songs. Especially Holiday because IMO it was never a good song to begin with. Anyways. From what I've heard of it, 6/10.

Converge
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
1.) Nope.

2.) Cause i dislike green day.

3.) Male.

4.) Middle.

5.) 14.

6.) all the songs piss me off after the 100th time of hearing them and billy joes vocals annoy the piss out of me.

Gnarmageddon
11-15-2005, 06:00 PM
1. Yes.
2. I like Green Day, so naturally I would buy their new album.
3. Male.
4. Middle.
5. 16.
6. It's not the best Green Day album. The only really good song is Jesus of Suburbia. I'm not a huge fan of American Idiot.

BridgeToSolace
11-15-2005, 06:03 PM
1.) No.

2.) I find their music bland, untalented, overrated, etc.

3.) Male

4.) Middle

5.) 15

6.) From what I've heard as far as singles though, the music was completely unimpressive and unremarkable. Woot, power chords. There is nothing special about his voice, the bass, the guitar, the drums, nothing. Just bland. I have a strong feeling that if this was released not under the name "Green Day", it wouldn't have been half as well recieved as it has been. I think bands that talk about politics generally have no idea what they're talking about, so that edge they've taken is fairly lame.

DJ Ducksauce
11-15-2005, 07:10 PM
1.) Yest* EDIT: Yes. Haha, I didn't even notice that.

2.) I liked American Idiot(the song(don't flame me)), so I figured what the heck. I actually hadn't heard too much Green Day at the point.

3.) male

4.) Middle

5.) 15

6.) I liked it a lot for a while. I listened to it just about every day before school for a couple of months. Then I got tired of it. It was pretty good though. I still enjoy it. I'll listen to about anything though. I have pretty easy ears.

Pazz
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
hi, i have to write a paper in my history of american pop culture class about a current form of popular culture, and i being the green day fan i am choose green day. And since i have to pick i specific example i picked the American Idiot Album. I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could let me know:

1.) If you bought the album or not (for simplicity if you dl'ed it thats the same as buying)

3.) Your gender

5.) Your age

Thanks a lot

1. No, I did not buy or download.

2. BecauseI don't really listen to much Green Day.

3. Male

4. Middle

5. 15

6. None, I haven't even listened to the whole thing.

BridgeToSolace
11-15-2005, 08:13 PM
There's a lot of 15 year old middle class guys on this forum.

Excursions
11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
1. No
2. It seemed like they were cashing in on the whole political thing which was done better 20 years ago. Plus I don't like the band.
3. Transgender Individual (Male)
4. Pesant
5. 17
6. As I already said it was an album made to cash in on the popularity of being a political band at this time and this didn't go well with me. Some catchy tunes like Holiday are enjoyable to hear occasionally but overall I didn't like the album.

himynameistweek
11-15-2005, 08:43 PM
1. hell no.
2. i liked green day a few years ago. now they're trying to cash in on the 12 year olds who hate bush because.... "oil! and he... kills teh soldiers and..... T3H OILZ! he iz teh gas man!" and there's really no meaning to it. they have no idea what they're talking about. they're just following trends.
3. male
4. middle
5. 18
6. once again. it's lame. they've sold out by regurgitating (poorly, i might add) crap that they've seen other popular "punk" bands cash in on. they know all the rich 12 year old "punk rawk rebels" will buy their overpriced CDs, shirts, stickers, buttons, dvds, and whatever else they feel like putting out, just because they say bad things about the president. because that's what all the cool kids do.

Permanent Solution
11-15-2005, 09:11 PM
1.) Dowloaded yes, bought no.

2.) Didn't buy because it's way overpriced, even now. Downloaded because I'd heard good things about it.

3.) Male

4.) Upper middle class

5.) 19

6.) It was a good pop-rock album and in general I find it more enjoyable to listen to as a whole album than most of their previous work. It got a lot of criticism for what it was, and a lot of praise, and so opinions are polarized on it. The quality of the album actually lies in the middle of the two views, as it was pretty well written and catchy, but not genius.

shard
11-15-2005, 09:13 PM
thanks a lot you guys! keep it up

billiejoe84
11-15-2005, 09:17 PM

3.) Your gender

5.) Your age

Thanks a lot

/me continues thread

1) Yes

2) Because I'm a huge Green Day fan, and frankly anything they release will be bought by me on release day.

3) Male

4) I'd say middle/lower... is that an acceptable option? If not, my income would probably imply lower.

5) 21.

6) I'm going to go for a bit of double-bluff psychology here and say that I think it's pretty good. Most 'hardcore' GD fans seem to enjoy exhibiting a knee-jerk reaction against the fact that it has proven ridiculously popular and has attracted a load of 13-year-old former Britney fans to the 'punk rock' fanbase. Well, sir, I'm not afraid of expressing my own opinion, and frankly, almost all of the songs on AI are mint. I don't give a shit if they are a bit more poppy than the stuff on Insomniac, or if that fact causes little girls to think Billie Joe is 'hawt', that doesn't change the quality of the songwriting. I wouldn't mind betting that most of the people who slag off AI (I ain't naming names, but I think such people on here know who they are) thought the title song was amazing the first time they heard it, and every subsequent time until they realised it was getting popular.

OK, I'm almost done with saying the reverse of what the normal Green Day fan says to look cool, but I think all that has been made of the 'political' direction of AI is frankly ludicrous. OK, we have one anti-Bush song, one anti-war song, and one anti-war video, and that makes it a political album? Fuck off. Go listen to RATM's debut, where every song slags off the government or the running of society in some way... That's political. Stop using GD's occasional dipping into left-wing politics as a reason to accuse them of cashing in on Bush hatred.

Crikey, I went on a bit there. Hope you don't mind that sort of thing... At least I've given different answers to everyone else so far, which should add to the variety value of nothing else.

BridgeToSolace
11-15-2005, 09:20 PM
2) Because I'm a huge Green Day fan, and frankly anything they release will be bought by me on release day.

I have a strong feeling that if this was released not under the name "Green Day", it wouldn't have been half as well recieved as it has been.

*cough* *cough*

billiejoe84
11-15-2005, 09:27 PM
*cough* *cough*

I'm not implying anything non-Green Day will not be bought by me on release day. Frankly, If they'd released the same album under a different name, I'd have still loved it the same, although that does assume me knowing about it. I'm not one of those types who thinks it's cool to hate new GD for being popular. Although you could apply the logic of a different name equaling lower sales to any artist's new album at all... Imagine your favourite band's newest album was released under a completely random band name - would you have bought it just on the off-chance that it would sound like your favourite band?

BridgeToSolace
11-15-2005, 09:29 PM
[text]

You took that cough cough thing waaayy to seriously. :p

If it's any help, I agreed with the points in your second paragraph (on question 6)

billiejoe84
11-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Well, I have strong views about Green Day stuff. Especially when drunk, which I am now. Even the same post minus the cough comment would have probably provoked the same response.

CommieCanada
11-15-2005, 09:49 PM
1.) Bought it

2.) Green Day fan

3.) Male

4.) Middle

5.) 18

6.) I think their album is a really good effort to try and expand what they have done so well for so long, but it seems like it is lacking overall. It is a really excellent album with memorable songs.

Rootsradical
11-15-2005, 09:54 PM
1. No
2. New Green Day sucks
3. Male
4. Middle
5. 19
6. It sucks and Green day is just in it for the bucks.

pot
11-16-2005, 01:40 AM
1. No
2. Because i only like one song
3.FEMALE
4.Middle
6. its alright, i dont really like green day...ther'e a bit too...the same as everything else

Fire Away
11-16-2005, 01:57 AM
1. Yes
2. Because I like the band, theyre in my top 5 and I always buy albums of my top 5 bands
3. Male
4. Dont know
5. 15
6. At first I loved it... but now I dont like it at all and never listen to it. Infact I hardly like Green Day at all anymore... seeing them live on December 17 will be the last straw. Then the Green Day era is over.

10571z
11-16-2005, 02:11 AM

1.) No

2.) Cause i only liked about 1 song not very much and the album cost 20 bucks
3.) male

4.) middle
5.) 15

6.) some songs are ok and other are to make money

Thanks a lot

plaidbassbilly
11-16-2005, 02:12 AM
1.) Yeah

2.) Because I liked their other stuff.

3.) Female

4.) Probably middle...I don't really know.

5.) 17

6.) I didn't like it at first, but now I think it's great.

Fire Away
11-16-2005, 02:35 AM
1.) Yeah

3.) Female

5.) 17

Youre a girl?!?! Haha.. silly me. LOL I thought you were some metro dude named Billy.

Agent_Orange
11-16-2005, 06:40 AM
1.) Yes, bought

2.) I bought the album because I wnated to complete my Green Day collection and because i've been a fan of theirs since the beginning and have always enjoyed their music.

3.) Male

4.) Upper-Middle

5.) 17

6.) My over all impression of the album would be great. I love it. I like the fact that it tells a story and a good one at that. I really can't wait until the movie/opera/thingy comes out.

Agent_Orange
11-16-2005, 06:42 AM
1.) Yeah

3.) Female

5.) 17

Female? I always thought you where a dude.......can I have your number?

Sep
11-16-2005, 06:53 AM
1.) I got it given to me as a Christmas present.

2.) I heard Jesus Of Suburbia and thought the rest of the album would be good too.

3.) male

4.) upper I suppose?

5.)17

6.) I was terribly dissapointed. JoS is the only worthwhile song on there. The rest of it is radio-friendly, generic pop music.

ZaaR
11-16-2005, 08:42 AM
1.) Yes

2.) Because I thought it would be a good album, but I was deeply dissapointed.

3.) Male

4.) Middle

5.) 14

6.) One of the worst pop-punk albums I've ever heard. I was extremely dissapointed with it. It only had one mediocore song on it, and that's St. Jimmy.

Pale-Folklore
11-16-2005, 08:44 AM
1.) I bought it

2.) because I was a Green Day fan and if i didn't buy it it just wouldnt be right

3.) male

4.) middle

5.) 14

6.) i only listened to it a couple of times, it was pretty boring. not bad though. sorry, I'm not in the mood to write a review.

Untitled
11-16-2005, 08:58 AM
1.) baught

2.) GreenDay have been one my my favorite bands for a long while, so i buy there albums

3.) Male, or so ive been lead to beleave.

4.) Middle

5.) 17

6.)Initialy, i loved it, i always listend to it, but now, i only like to here the songs if i put them on, im a bit sick of there radio play to be honest, there on too much and them songs have got boring. apart from JoS that will never get boring.

Kif
11-16-2005, 08:59 AM
1.) Yes

2.) Because I'm a fan of the band, and I saw them about a month before the album's release and had high hopes for it.

3.) Male

4.) Middle

5.) 17

6.) I thought it was a great concept album, and I respected Green Day for not making more songs about drugs and whatnot. I thought the lyrics were good and descriptive, and the music was fun to listen to without trying too hard to be mindblowing or anything. It's simple and an overall fantastic album.

Dead Star
11-16-2005, 09:05 AM
1.) Borrowed and Ripped onto a computer, so I dunno what that is :-\

2.) I was a Green Day fan ever since I heard Warning, and bought or downloaded all of their CDs, so I want to complete my collection.

3.) Male

4.) Lower/Middle

5.) 15

6.) I really enjoyed this album the first time I heard it, so I nicked it and put it on my PC. I still really like this album, and listen to it ocassionally, even although my musical tastes have moved, I still like listening to Green Day.

Ross
11-16-2005, 10:47 AM
1.) Yes (Day it came out!)

2.) Green Day! I had all their other records, so I wanted that too :)

3.) Male

4.) Middle

5.) 17

6.) Difficult question. Has several good songs, but like some of the rest of Green Day's old fans I couldn't help think the word "sellout". And as far as political punk albums go, none of the songs really meant that much to me. The video to "wake me up etc..." was cool because of the hawt girl :D It starts quite strong, but gradually goes downhill, and I'd agree that "Jesus of Suburbia" was the best song on the album. It's overshadowed by the likes of Nimrod, Insomniac and Dookie, but is a major improvement on Warning. I'm not going to include their first two albums in this comparison; they were very different (and extremely cool).

billiejoe84
11-16-2005, 07:01 PM
I love the fact that everyone who liked the album gave good reasons for doing so, whereas everyone who didn't gave cop-out reasons like 'they are in it for the money'.

Clear proof that those people have put about one listen's worth of listening, and even less thought, into such reasoning.

God I love being scathing.

Permanent Solution
11-16-2005, 07:02 PM
I love the fact that everyone who liked the album gave good reasons for doing so, whereas everyone who didn't gave cop-out reasons like 'they are in it for the money'.

Clear proof that those people have put about one listen's worth of listening, and even less thought, into such reasoning.

/waits for Jon to read this and have a fit O:-)

billiejoe84
11-16-2005, 07:14 PM
/waits for Jon to read this and have a fit O:-)

I can barely wait.

In fairness, I know a lot of people don't like AI at all, and I respect that. The only thing that winds me up is people who won't give it a chance because all the 14-year-olds love it, and they think it's cool to have the opposite view. Frankly, I've made enough of a point about not letting other peope's views affect your own, so I won't do it again.

DJ Ducksauce
11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I can barely wait.

In fairness, I know a lot of people don't like AI at all, and I respect that. The only thing that winds me up is people who won't give it a chance because all the 14-year-olds love it, and they think it's cool to have the opposite view. Frankly, I've made enough of a point about not letting other peope's views affect your own, so I won't do it again.
It's true though. I was one of those 14 year olds who loved it.

himynameistweek
11-16-2005, 09:23 PM

you're also extremely biased. of course you're not going to give as much respect to the opinions of people who say they don't like it. but it's not a cop-out response at all. they have all these bull**** political songs and it's so clear that they don't have any idea what they're talking about. on MTV, Billy Joe said that anyone who voted for Bush was an uninformed idiot. he gave no reason, didn't say why he doesn't like bush, made no indication whatsoever that he has any basic understanding of what was/is going on in the world. they're just doing it because that's the cool thing to do. it sells. there's no cop-out on anyone's part but green day's. if someone can give a good reason why they believe what they believe, cool. they have my respect. But they simply don't.
and as for the popularity, i don't give 2 ****s about that. some, if not most, of my favorite bands have the same type of fan base. sum 41? underoath? hell, i even liked blink when they weren't making stupid fart jokes.

BridgeToSolace
11-16-2005, 09:29 PM

Don't worry, I wont give you too much ****. I respect you, mate.

But, read the posts on this page. Most of them say "This was a boring album. Catchy, but boring". I don't think anyone really even mentioned politics on page two, although I can't say I read it very carefully.

I also noticed that at least a few people said that they liked the album without even giving a reason. Not even a stupid cop-out like the money thing. Just "It was amazing and conceptual, dude!".

Oh well. I'll admit I did sing along to one of their songs when someone played it at an open mic night. It's catchy, I'll give it that. Kinda sad that I knew lyrics just from hearing it on the radio/mtv/commericals/people at school singing it.

CommieCanada
11-16-2005, 09:44 PM
while they have become popular, dont you think they have earned it though? you cant just really be a straight up pop-punk band for 15 years and not reach some level of popularity. Well let's see here. it has been years since their last release and a long while since their first stint into the mainstage (dookie) came out. They gain fans all the time and it kind of exploded when they released a good solid record again.

i dont see anything strange about that at all really. As for the political thing, sure a lot of bands are writting about politics now, but why shouldn't they? we live in turbulant times. you wouldnt hear many people in the 60s and 70s bitching that Dylan was writting political songs just to be popular, or Minor Threat in the 80s. And green day doesnt have to tell everyone every thought they have on politics either. that's their business and they show it through music

/wins thread

plaidbassbilly
11-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Female? I always thought you where a dude.......can I have your number?

To you and Mr Clean (I still haven't figured out how to quote 2 things at once) yeah, I'm female.

And no, you can't have my number.

And yes, CommieCanada, I believe you are correct.

Agent_Orange
11-17-2005, 06:36 AM
To you and Mr Clean (I still haven't figured out how to quote 2 things at once) yeah, I'm female.

And no, you can't have my number.

And yes, CommieCanada, I believe you are correct.

Oh well. I tried:upset:

Ross
11-17-2005, 06:53 AM

I didn't... :p Although I admit I did mention selloutness once.

billiejoe84
11-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Haha, I've managed to cause some good controversy here. :cool:

Although, as I was more than a little drunk when I made the last statement, it may have been a little harsh.

himynameistweek
11-17-2005, 12:10 PM
i dont see anything strange about that at all really. As for the political thing, sure a lot of bands are writting about politics now, but why shouldn't they? we live in turbulant times. you wouldnt hear many people in the 60s and 70s bitching that Dylan was writting political songs just to be popular, or Minor Threat in the 80s. And green day doesnt have to tell everyone every thought they have on politics either. that's their business and they show it through music

/wins thread
all you're doing is restating my point. right now there's some crazy **** going on so all the little "punk rawk" douchebags are going crazy to buy anything anti-bush. green day writes anti bush songs, and they don't even seem to know why they're doing it. people that did that **** in the 70's knew what they were talking about. and in case you forgot, THERE WAS A ****ING DRAFT FOR NAM! that was a waaaaaay worse situation than the one going on now.
zieg heil to the president gas man? kill all the fags that don't agree?
are they serious?

they're following a trend. that's it. they're not original. they're not clever. they're not good.

billiejoe84
11-17-2005, 12:27 PM
green day writes anti bush songs,

I've already made this point, there's one anti-Bush song on AI. So don't use plural.

Also, what if they really do want to write a song having a go at him for being a hick? Is that really such a crime? You make it sound like it's only OK to express your views if they are different to everyone else's.

Ross
11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
I've already made this point, there's one anti-Bush song on AI. So don't use plural.

Also, what if they really do want to write a song having a go at him for being a hick? Is that really such a crime? You make it sound like it's only OK to express your views if they are different to everyone else's.

Well said.

BridgeToSolace
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM

I think the guy is trying to say that Green Day doesn't actually hate Bush. Or they just think he's not a great guy, or they're too stupid to actually form a coherent and well-based opinion on him.. They aren't writing bashing songs about Bush out of hate for him, but out of greed. They know that kids these days are completely stupid when it comes to politics, but it's the cool thing to hate bush, so people are more likely to listen to their music.

Having a similar opinion is cool and all, but giving a message for the sake of popularity is not.

But, as you said, only if you look at it VERY superficialy (meaning the name and title track, I think), is it a political album. I just think that's what the guy you're talking to means.

himynameistweek
11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

wrong.
it's only ok to express your views if they're YOUR VIEWS and you have some basic understanding and reason behind what you're saying.
i've clearly stated that several times now.
if i were to say Billy joe is the anti-christ, and not give any reason behind it, give no explanation at all, what would your response be?
would you go out and buy any anti-green day products you could find?
of course they didn't say bush was the anti christ, but i'm just making a point.
by the way...
billy joe is the antichrist.

himynameistweek
11-17-2005, 01:26 PM
I think the guy is trying to say that Green Day doesn't actually hate Bush. Or they just think he's not a great guy, or they're too stupid to actually form a coherent and well-based opinion on him.. They aren't writing bashing songs about him out of hate for him, but out of greed. They know that kids these days are completely stupid when it comes to politics, but it's the cool thing to hate bush, so people are more likely to listen to their music.

Having a similar opinion is cool and all, but giving a message for the sake of popularity is not.

But, as you said, only if you look at it VERY superficialy (meaning the name and title track, I think), is it a political album. I just think that's what the guy you're talking to means.
more or less, yeah.
i do believe they dislike bush, but i am 99% sure they don't even know why. they just don't like him because they're so punk rawk, and that's what the cool kids do.
and the name of an album and the title track is enough. and they're always looking for opportunities in interviews and whatnot to talk ****, too.

billiejoe84
11-17-2005, 10:30 PM
billy joe is the antichrist.

No, you are.

Frankly, if you want to get into the argument of whether someone's views are real or not, how do I know you aren't just saying they pretend to hate Bush to jump on the 'Green Day only pretend to hate Bush for the added cool factor to drum up sales' bandwagon? Frankly, I imagine you are, as you can't say that's the case since you don't know them or their actual views, in the same way as I can't say the reverse. I'm not saying either is the case, as frankly we can't know, but whatever.

I could have probably worded that a bit better, but I can't really be bothered with your generic GD-hater reasons anymore, so if you don't get it, I don't really care.

himynameistweek
11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
ok, i don't even care if they're doing it just to sell ****. whatever.
the fact still remains that they give no reason whatsoever as to why they dislike bush. that's the bottom line. they don't know what they're talking about.

Permanent Solution
11-18-2005, 12:08 PM
ok, i don't even care if they're doing it just to sell ****. whatever.
the fact still remains that they give no reason whatsoever as to why they dislike bush. that's the bottom line. they don't know what they're talking about.
Faulty logic.

If I play Punk and don't ever shred in the middle of a song, it doesn't mean I can't. Parallel: If they don't state a reason they disagree with Bush it doesn't mean they don't have one.

shard
11-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I don't really know what green day thinks exactly politically speaking, all i know is that it's liberal. despite that when i first listened to AI i only thought it was political like twice, and that was during the title track and Holiday. i think that only having two songs that can be seen as political on a 13 track cd doesnt qualify as 'juming on the bush hate bandwagon.'

also maybe greenday just wants to hint at JOS's political ideals or that he is 'jumping on the bush hating wagon'...

bassist_for_a_band
11-18-2005, 02:42 PM

3.) Your gender

5.) Your age

Thanks a lot

1. No, but my friend made me a copy of it
2. Because I don't have much money and my friend made me a copy
3. Male
4. Middle I guess
5. 14
6. IT KICKS ***!!!

himynameistweek
11-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Faulty logic.

If I play Punk and don't ever shred in the middle of a song, it doesn't mean I can't. Parallel: If they don't state a reason they disagree with Bush it doesn't mean they don't have one.
that's an entirely different situation.
they're trying to spread anti-bush propoganda, but the only reason they give people to follow them is simply because they're green day. if you're trying to persuade people to see things your way, you don't just state your opinion and expect people to follow it. you have to give an explanation.

Permanent Solution
11-18-2005, 10:41 PM
they're trying to spread anti-bush propoganda, but the only reason they give people to follow them is simply because they're green day. if you're trying to persuade people to see things your way, you don't just state your opinion and expect people to follow it. you have to give an explanation.
Au contraire.

They don't, and they're being very successful doing it. If you can sell your views without explaining them, why put in the effort to explain them?

BassPlayer222
11-19-2005, 09:37 AM
1.) bought it

2.) its Green day and they were my favorite band at the time, and American Idiot was just so damn catchy

3.) Male

4.) middle class

5.) 14

6.) Although i dont love it i can see where Billie Joe was coming from, he was tired of writing 4 chord songs about gettin rejected and jerking off. He wanted to expand, write something more meaningful. Although the worst songs on the album got dreadfully overplayed(American idiote, Blvd., Holiday), and suddenly every 12 year old girl owns all there albums, there were very well written songs that Billie Joe tried venturing places he never has before (JOS, Extraordinary Girl, Whatsername). The plot and story behind the concept album is very well thought out and a pretty good story. Although American Idiot is definatley not my favorite Green day album, i do give the guys credit for it. It was well writin, and i can tell they worked there asses off on it.

Oz Rembrandt
11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
No, you are.

Pff, I'm the Anti-Christ and you all know it.

Ross
11-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Really? And here's me thinkin' it was John Lydon.

Just goes to show, don't believe everything you hear in music.

billiejoe84
11-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Pff, I'm the Anti-Christ and you all know it.

That, sir, is entirely true. I was just saying it to annoy the other guy. :evil:

Speaking of which,

You are being so narrow-minded with this statement. I know I said I can't be bothered with your views, but that's daft enough to warrant a response. Really, I wonder if you have a clue what you are on about, or if you're just following the trendy 'I hate Green Day' excuses that everyone else does, as I expected. I have heard so few 'political' bands give overt justification for their political views, yet nobody ever questions their means, and rightly so. Bands state their opinion (political or otherwise) in song to put a view or opinion across, and that's about as far as it goes. I mean, look at RATM... 'Fight the war, fuck the norm...' Is there a reason given for that? No, it's just them stating their opinion, and I think that thinking all bands must justify their opinions before expressing them is, frankly, as narrow-minded as I said before. The Clash often put their political views across as unexplained opinion too, and who ever accused them of not justifying themselves? What's wrong with expressing an opinion in music, justified or not? I know that saying something in song isn't as persuasive as a politician's rant, but to be honest, if bands were good at that, I'm sure they'd all be politicians. Maybe Green Day are saying what they say in songs because they mean it, maybe it's all just cashing in on Bush-bashing, but either way, you're not placed to comment, so I suggest you leave it be.

Sausage_Wielder
11-19-2005, 09:50 PM
1.) I did not not buy it, though I stole it from my brother, Billy Joel Armstrong

2.) I didn't have to buy it, it was sitting in my brother's room.

3.) Male

4.) Upper

5.) 17

6.) With the volume on 0 and the bassboost all the way up, its almost as good as Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson

ITRIEDVOODOOONCE
11-19-2005, 10:08 PM
1. No

2.from the radio play i determined it was horrible

3. Male

4. Upper middle

5. 17

6. The overall tone of the album was monotonous ****. Their top two hits were; American Idiot which i dont know about you but it sounds a hell of a lot like Joan Jetts "Bad Reputation" and Boulevard of Broken Dreams, which sounded so much like Oasis, they did a techno mix to it.
I mean come on, how bad is it when you write so much crap off of straight up powerchords that you have to rip off OTHER peoples powerchords?

himynameistweek
11-20-2005, 12:16 AM
That, sir, is entirely true. I was just saying it to annoy the other guy. :evil:

Speaking of which,

You are being so narrow-minded with this statement. I know I said I can't be bothered with your views, but that's daft enough to warrant a response. Really, I wonder if you have a clue what you are on about, or if you're just following the trendy 'I hate Green Day' excuses that everyone else does, as I expected. I have heard so few 'political' bands give overt justification for their political views, yet nobody ever questions their means, and rightly so. Bands state their opinion (political or otherwise) in song to put a view or opinion across, and that's about as far as it goes. I mean, look at RATM... 'Fight the war, fuck the norm...' Is there a reason given for that? No, it's just them stating their opinion, and I think that thinking all bands must justify their opinions before expressing them is, frankly, as narrow-minded as I said before. The Clash often put their political views across as unexplained opinion too, and who ever accused them of not justifying themselves? What's wrong with expressing an opinion in music, justified or not? I know that saying something in song isn't as persuasive as a politician's rant, but to be honest, if bands were good at that, I'm sure they'd all be politicians. Maybe Green Day are saying what they say in songs because they mean it, maybe it's all just cashing in on Bush-bashing, but either way, you're not placed to comment, so I suggest you leave it be.
i agree, sure, i've made a few narrow minded or otherwise basically bs comments for the sake of argument, and you have too, but the basic point still stands that they give no reason for "their" beliefs and i have no respect for "their" opinions. and by the way, it's about 238217492085685087 times more trendy to bash bush than it is to bash green day, especially in the pop-punk forum, so that point of your argument is utter crap.
let's face it, though. nothing i say will change your way of thinking, and nothing you say (short of telling me where i can find an interview, song lyric, etc. where they back up their ****) will change mine. so whatever.
[/debate]

billiejoe84
11-20-2005, 06:52 PM
:cool: