PDA

View Full Version : Classical, Music of Insparation.

Mitchell B
11-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I have noticed that alot of aspiring musicians, and some of my close friends who are into Rock and Metal, also listen to Classical, so I would like some feedback on what composers you enjoy listening to, and weather they inspire creative genius or, just to relax.

Personally I like Gustav Holst, Dimitri Shostakovich, Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, and the occasional Mozart and Bethoven.

Mazeppa
11-15-2005, 12:53 PM
I listen to a lot of classical, for enjoyment and inspiration. Mostly, you'll find me listening to: Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and Mozart.

RiceMonster
11-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I listen to a lot of classical, for enjoyment and inspiration. Mostly, you'll find me listening to: Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and Mozart.
I had no idea you liked Classical, man. :p

But yeah, Chopin is excellent. I also love Beethoven. I learned Fur Elise on guitar, but I kind of suck at it, but that's okay. I still really enjoy playing it.

Delay Pedal Boy
11-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Reich, Jeffes...ehh I like contemporary classical a tad more so than the classical classical.

hatebreeder
11-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky are some of my favourite composers of symphony/orchestral music, but I prefer and recommend bach's violin and cello suites, which also sound good on guitar.

Boxman
11-17-2005, 07:22 AM
could someone recommend me some good romantic composers and some good pieces by them

i did music in school and found that the romantic era is definately the one of most interest to myself

Mazeppa
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
could someone recommend me some good romantic composers and some good pieces by them

i did music in school and found that the romantic era is definately the one of most interest to myself
Check out Hector Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, that's a brilliant piece of Romantic music.

Grant
11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Chopin, Stravinsky, Beethoven and Debussy do it for me.

Manticore Guy
11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I like Bach a lot, and Debussy Rachmaninoff, Beethoven,Mozart, Handel, and Tchaikovsky a great deal too.

Nissos
11-17-2005, 03:51 PM
My favorite composers are Charles Ives, Dmitri Shostakovich, Olivier Messiaen, and Iannis Xenakis.

Zappa
11-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I really love Stravinsky, Mahler, Debussy, Ravel, Varese, Copland, and Rachmaninoff.

Zappa
11-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Mahler's first and fourth symphonies I would strongly recommend.

Manticore Guy
11-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Mahler's first and fourth symphonies I would strongly recommend.

Definetely:cool: Mahler Symphonies= genius works

....Cant believe I forgot him:upset:

rockinbass17
11-17-2005, 04:45 PM
I've been listening to a good amount of Chopin. Liszt, and Debussy lately.

SabeR
11-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Tschaikovsky
Mozart
Beethoven
Chopin
Vivaldi
Brahms
Telemann
Debussy
Mendelsohnn
Bach
Pachelbel

i dunno lol, i listen to whatever i have to play in orchestra, or for solos...

Relmar
11-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Mostly the greats. But I plan to expand my library when I start piano.

SabeR
11-22-2005, 12:00 PM
cool!!! when are u starting? i think piano is the best thing u can learn cuz it teaches u rhythm so quickly, and 2 clefs at once... how to control both ur hands doin diff stuff at the same time....(not that things like guitar or violin or whatever doesnt make u do this)... and it makes u think so fast

Smackers
11-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Baroque: Bach, Vivaldi
Classical: Mozart and Beethoven
Romance:Chopin, Tschaikovsky

camelfarmer
11-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey any choral pieces which you'd reccomend to me? Im not sure if choral if the correct word, but I mean with people (choirs) singing in them.

Thanks.

what
11-24-2005, 08:53 AM
I like Bela Bartok, his piano concertos are furious. haha

I also like Debussy, he's more calm.

But Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shostakovich, and all those other Russian composers are the ones that I listen to the most.

I've been wanting to get into Alois Haba, Ernest Toch, and Penderecki more.

But I also love romantic composers, Sibelius is probably my favourite one...

btw Toru Takemitsu and Benjamin Britten are also great contemporary composers.

I like guitar composers like Brouwer and Dyens too. Carlo Domeniconi and Philip Houghton write interesting things also.

Zappa
11-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey any choral pieces which you'd reccomend to me? Im not sure if choral if the correct word, but I mean with people (choirs) singing in them.

Thanks.

Rachmaninoff's Vespers, Op 37 is a favorite of mine.

rockinbass17
11-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Thanks.

Schubert's Mass in G is very pretty. Complex orchestral parts, too. I've been playing it with my orchestra and it's quite challenging.

camelfarmer
11-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ill take a listen to those.

wildrose
12-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi

I play piano, but I love Rock Music and my debut is a classical Rock hybrid so this topic is quite fiting.

I love Mozart. He is by far my favourite. I also enjoy Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and Bach, and enjoy a couple of Beethoven peices.

xx :wave:

Amit
12-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Chopin, Stravinsky, Beethoven and Debussy do it for me.

Heh, almost like my tastes except I'd rather have Rimsky Korsakov instead of Beethoven.

Lydisk
12-01-2005, 05:35 AM
me, i love Chopin,Stravinsky,Mozart,Bartók,Grieg and Rachmanninov.
Beethoven is also great.

aria2nd
12-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Scarlatti
Bach
Haydn
Beethoven
Ravel
Debussy
Britten
Sculthorpe
Brouwer

chek them out

Music Man
12-06-2005, 03:52 PM
could someone recommend me some good romantic composers and some good pieces by them. i did music in school and found that the romantic era is definately the one of most interest to myself

Here's an excellent list of romantic composers from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Romantic_composers

rockinbass17
12-07-2005, 08:29 PM
The Romantic is great for piano music, but some of the Romantic-era orchestral composers (such as Berlioz and Franck) make some of the most over-the-top, nausiating, and flat-out boring symphonies I've ever heard. Once I had to sit through the entire Symphonie Fantastique, and it is just a terrible piece of music. I just recieved with my orchestra Franck's Symphony in D Minor, and I enjoy maybe 2 1/2 out of 25 pages of it.