PDA

View Full Version : Genre-hopping

Clunge
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
As a rule, most people here will listen to a variety of genres that fit into Alt./Indie, hence posting mainly here.

However, to what degree do you enjoy music from genres further a-field, eg. Metal, Jazz, Funk, Punk etc.

Even though I post mainly in Alt./Indie, I'm not particularly a huge fan of either genre. For me, there doesn't seem to be much middle ground in my musical tastes, for example being a big fan of The Beatles, Captain Beefheart, Porcupine Tree, SOAD, Yes and The Clash, my taste in music in quite eclectic.

Simply then, does your taste in music stretch between a large range of genres or stick mainly to genres closely surrounding or related to alt./indie?

Kyle
11-07-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd say I hop between genres, much like I hop between this forum and R&M. I listen to some of the more traditional Alternative bands like the pixies, then bands which cross over like Smashing Pumpkins, evolving into selective metal and stoner rock bands. I also listen to other genres of music like hip hop, blues and soul.

Interstate
11-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I listen to anything I find interesting. Jazz, country, rap/hiphop, dance you name it. One of my favourite genres is soul, since I grew up listening to stuff like Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, Marvin Gaye etc. as a kid.

Happymeal
11-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Actually I find myself listening to a lot of pop punk and metal recently. Can't really say I fully enjoy other genres/sub-genres at any given time but I don't stick to alt/indie exclusively(contradiction?) for too long as well. I think we all have our share of moments of short attention spans.

Interstate
11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually I find myself listening to a lot of pop punk and metal recently. Can't really say I fully enjoy other genres/sub-genres at any given time but I don't stick to alt/indie exclusively(contradiction?) for too long as well. I think we all have our share of moments of short attention spans.

Same here. I can quite happily listen to metal, jazz, pop punk, soul and country etc. all in a day. I like variety.

Kyle
11-07-2005, 03:20 PM
since I grew up listening to stuff like Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, Marvin Gaye etc. as a kid.Me too, I feel the Isley Brothers and Teddy Pendergrass had a large part in my upbringing

Interstate
11-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Me too, I feel the Isley Brothers and Teddy Pendergrass had a large part in my upbringing

Soul is so cool.

superpeer
11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I like to think that I listen to pretty much everything, not everything as frequently though.

BillCosby
11-07-2005, 03:52 PM
I like to think that I listen to pretty much everything, not everything as frequently though.

Same.

Sam
11-07-2005, 03:57 PM
I like all music that is good.

JonM
11-07-2005, 03:59 PM
These days I listen to way more folk, reggae, and hip hop than I do alt or indie. Although much of the folk and hip hop are alt and indie within their own paradigm, but that's not the kind of alt and indie the title of the forum is talking about, I guess.

Zappa
11-07-2005, 03:59 PM
I only like alt/indie.

JonM
11-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I only like alt/indie.
THAT is true.

Daniel!
11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
I listen to pretty much everything. I'm still very new to punk/hardcore, rap, and jazz, but I do listen to a fair amount of bands from those genres. The one genre I really have no interest in exploring is metal. It just doesn't appeal to me.

It seems like everyone in alt/indie is the most knowlegable about music. So I mainly hang out here to learn about new bands and stuff from all genres.

Luxor
11-07-2005, 05:17 PM
I'll listen to pretty much everything. My taste varies from Jaga Jazzist, to Coverge, to Blackalicious, to Neutral Milk Hotel. I like it alllll.

Glitterati
11-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I like rock/metal, like The Beatles, David Bowie, Blue Oyster Cult, and Pink Floyd

I like folk, like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, and James Taylor

I like punk, like Social Distortion, The Clash, and Elvis Costello

I like ska/reggae, like Bob Marley, The Specials, and Streetlight Manifesto

I like jazz, like John Coltrane and Miles Davis

I like classical, like Mozart

I like rap, like A Tribe Called Quest and Public Enemy

I like post-rock, like Explosions In The Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor

And I like alt/indie, like Jeff Buckley, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Belle & Sebastien

Plus a bunch of other little sub-genres I don't wanna get into.

So yeah...I try to listen to pretty much anything...music is awesome.

Wanker
11-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Sometimes, I listen to music.

bassisfun
11-07-2005, 06:22 PM
i'd like to dabble a bit more into more genres than i listen to now. i'll listen to pretty much anything, except modern metal. i really don't like that stuff.

Wanker
11-07-2005, 06:46 PM
i'd like to dabble a bit more into more genres than i listen to now. i'll listen to pretty much anything, except modern metal. i really don't like that stuff.

really?

really?

really?

really?

asdf
11-07-2005, 06:54 PM
As a continuing theme, I dabble. I tend to find one or two bands in genres that I really love, but have a hard time getting too attached to the genre, or liking new bands from the genre. This has happend mainly with punk, post rock, and trip hop. Those genres have a lot to offer, but I just like a few bands.

So I tell people that I have a wide range of music tastes, which is true, but I tend to just sample genres.

bassisfun
11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
sorry about that, my internet really screwed up

Zappa
11-07-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm a moderator.

I'll Take The Veil
11-07-2005, 07:22 PM
I like to think I have an eclectic taste in music... Going from Kanye West, To !- Speed Bike, to Mr. Bungle, The Mars Volta, Sufjan Stevens, and Chopin to name a few.

Electrocution
11-07-2005, 07:22 PM
A great deal of what I listen to is either some sort of derivative of hardcore/punk (screamo, post-hardcore, etc.), or post-rock/any branch thereof. Or a combination of the two.

Electrocution
11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Soul is so cool.
I have developed a healthy obsession with Curtis Mayfield.

Luxor
11-07-2005, 07:48 PM
really?

really?

really?

really?
roflllll

Smackers
11-07-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm not really a fan of music. I would rather listen to the humming of my computer.

Jacaranda
11-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Ya I listen to every genre under the sun. I listen to ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and if I'm feeling really krraazeee I go with some Metallica or even Megadeth. Just to name a few bands.

Zappa
11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Ya I listen to every genre under the sun. I listen to ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and if I'm feeling really krraazeee I go with some Metallica or even Megadeth. Just to name a few bands.

:lol:

Anxious
11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I'm a moderator.
No.

Wanker
11-07-2005, 08:29 PM
No.

The lies!

Glitterati
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I listen to anything I find interesting. Jazz, country, rap/hiphop, dance you name it. One of my favourite genres is soul, since I grew up listening to stuff like Stevie Wonder, The Commodores, Marvin Gaye etc. as a kid.

Old soul/r & b is awesome.

Wanker
11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Old soul/r & b is awesome.

Who is that in your avatar?

Glitterati
11-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Who is that in your avatar?

Patti Smith.

Zappa
11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Patti!

Robert Crumb
11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Armpit hair is sexy.

Krash100
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
wow this thread is nowhere.... let's get back on track

Besides alt/indie I listen to a lot of classic rock (Doors, Beatles, Led Zep, Cream)
I also get into some jazz like The Rippingtons, Art of Noise and Tower of Power.

Zmev
11-07-2005, 09:31 PM
I only like gimmicky bands.

JonM
11-07-2005, 10:10 PM
I like it when they wear narrow ties that are the same color.

Zappa
11-08-2005, 04:18 AM
wow this thread is nowhere.... let's get back on track

You mean back on the track of senseless bragging about musical "knowledge?"

Tomahawk
11-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Oh man I listen to everything!!!

I love Jazz (I own Kind of Blue AND A Love Supreme!), Soul (my mum owns a Stevie Wonder album), Country (Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt"), avant-garde music (Radiohead), experimental music (Radiohead), and film scores (soundtrack to Garden State).

No rock or metal though, I'm far too intelligent for that stuff.

lilsolsman
11-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Death metal is (http://www.desolation.info/id1.html) intelligent.

neal_672
11-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Blegh i'll listen to anything to be honest, mainly centered on Alt/Indie but my cd collection ranges from jazz (Weather Report etc), Funk (Parliament), metal (Metallica, SoIL), dance (Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Moby et al).

The only stuff i really can't get into is more extreme stuff ie Rave on the dancier side of things, and stuff like Screamo/Death/Black metal.

Not that it matters.

Zmev
11-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I love Jazz (I own Ok Computer AND Kid A!), Soul (my mum owns a Radiohead album), Country (Radiohead), avant-garde music (Radiohead), experimental music (Radiohead), and film scores (soundtrack to Radiohead the movie).

Edit'd 4 a&i

Glitterati
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh man I listen to everything!!!

I love Jazz (I own Kind of Blue AND A Love Supreme!), Soul (my mum owns a Stevie Wonder album), Country (Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt"), avant-garde music (Radiohead), experimental music (Radiohead), and film scores (soundtrack to Garden State).

You're saying The Beatles and David Bowie and Bob Dylan aren't intelligent? They're rock, aren't they?

asymm
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I haven't come across someone who say's they don't have eclectic taste. Everyone listens to everything.

JonM
11-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I listen to nothing.

Luxor
11-08-2005, 07:32 PM
I listen to nothing.Never heard of 'em...

The Great Decay
11-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Never heard of 'em...

Must be one of them indie bands.

Tomahawk
11-09-2005, 07:48 AM
You're saying The Beatles and David Bowie and Bob Dylan aren't intelligent? They're rock, aren't they?
I think you may have missed the sarcasm.

JonM
11-09-2005, 09:46 AM
One time I was playing some grindemocore and I was like "hold on, this isn't the right genre for what I'm wearing," so I hopped genres over into post-thrashgospel and then my clothes helped me fit right in.

Happymeal
11-09-2005, 01:54 PM
One time I was playing some grindemocore and I was like "hold on, this isn't the right genre for what I'm wearing," so I hopped genres over into post-thrashgospel and then my clothes helped me fit right in.

So basically you're the kind of guy who doesn't listen to bands who don't have a MySpace or Purevolume page?

JonM
11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
So basically you're the kind of guy who doesn't listen to bands who don't have a MySpace or Purevolume page?
Right. I'm not friends with people who don't have one, either.