PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else into The Bad Plus?

Jaded
11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.thebadplus.com

I saw them live a week ago, and they were AMAZING. Their drummer is a freakin' nut, and the whole band was so tight. For those of you that aren't familiar with them, I can upload a song on yousendit and then email you the link (so I don't get MX in trouble). They are a trio (piano, double bass, and drums), but they play a very different style of jazz than you'd typically expect from a small combo like that.

My fav. songs: flim, big eater, dirty blonde, and here we test our powers of observation

rokaholic
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
yah sure

email: rokaholic@comcast.net

(can you post a CD if you have one, hehehe :D , i've been trying to get some of their stuff)

Jaded
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I'll post their first one.

rokaholic
11-07-2005, 05:20 PM
tight! and your just gonna email me the link?

Jaded
11-07-2005, 05:39 PM
You should have it now, or it's on it's way.

BassVirtuoso
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
My favorite song has to be And Here We Test Our Powers of Observation.

As you're walking down a high school hallway, just put this song onto your portable, and it all makes sense. The emotions of the subcultures and the alienation of the many are so obvious now. It's weird but it's so true. This song will bring about a pyschological epiphany.

spastic
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
http://www.thebadplus.com

I saw them live a week ago, and they were AMAZING. Their drummer is a freakin' nut, and the whole band was so tight. For those of you that aren't familiar with them, I can upload a song on yousendit and then email you the link (so I don't get MX in trouble). They are a trio (piano, double bass, and drums), but they play a very different style of jazz than you'd typically expect from a small combo like that.

My fav. songs: flim, big eater, dirty blonde, and here we test our powers of observation

Did you see them in Seattle at the Jazz Alley? I saw them there last Tuesday, one of my favorite bands. Last Saturday my band finished a gig with Smells Like Teen Spirit, inspired by The Bad Plus of course.

Zappa
11-07-2005, 08:41 PM
They rock.

Jaded
11-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Did you see them in Seattle at the Jazz Alley? I saw them there last Tuesday, one of my favorite bands. Last Saturday my band finished a gig with Smells Like Teen Spirit, inspired by The Bad Plus of course.
No, I saw them in Santa Barbara.

Byron
11-08-2005, 08:45 AM
could you send me the link please, I was trying to get into them but I could find any good stuff
byron66@gmail.com

Phunphone
11-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I love them. Seen them 2 times; interesting enough, David King (that is the drummer) recognized me on the second. It was the same venue, and I stood at the same place (that is right next to the drumkit), and he was like "Hey, I remember you from last year!". We had a short nice chat after the show... Nice guys, crazy music.

Their covers are always refreshing; they've covered Björk's "Human Behaviour" and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" (in fact, it was just about the main melody, and beating the hell out of the instruments.) in the last show; which may mean those will be the two covers on their new cd. It should be out pretty soon. They have a live cd thing out, but you can get it only via internet.

Does anybody else think their cover of "Iron Man" rocks harder than the Black Sabbath version?

Jaded
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
could you send me the link please, I was trying to get into them but I could find any good stuff
byron66@gmail.com
Dammit I lost the link. Maybe the first guy I emailed it to could give you it?

Daniel!
11-08-2005, 10:29 PM
What would be a good album to get first?

Det_Nosnip
11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
We play them at work alot....definitely one of my favorite bands out of the circulation! Their covers of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Iron Man" are interesting.

Phunphone
11-09-2005, 03:12 PM
What would be a good album to get first?

I think "Give" would be a nice choice. It has stronger tracks than their debut IMO, but buying "These Are The Vistas" (their debut) first wouldn't hurt either. If you can find it, grab it.

loJic
11-10-2005, 12:05 AM
"Give" is an excellent choice.

Jaded
11-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Anybody heard their new album? They cover 'Chariots of Fire' and it's pretty cool.

FillInTheBlankHere___
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
My favorite song has to be And Here We Test Our Powers of Observation.

As you're walking down a high school hallway, just put this song onto your portable, and it all makes sense. The emotions of the subcultures and the alienation of the many are so obvious now. It's weird but it's so true. This song will bring about a pyschological epiphany.

I agree, it's a fantastic song.

SeEtLeRs
11-19-2005, 12:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of Bad Plus and i've been looking for live videos for almost a year but I still can't find anything but interviews or streaming videos but i'm on slow connection.. so someone knows is there somewhere I could find live vids?
thanks..

some jive turkey
11-29-2005, 09:46 PM
I dig the bad plus.

I like "Vistas", but haven't heard their other albums (yet).

King is fun to listen to on the drums. I like the Aphex Twin cover.

I was listening to their album and wondering how it was recorded. I'm guessing they must have had total isolation (a drum room) because on some tracks it sounds like he's hitting quite hard (for a jazz trio) at a level that would bleed into piano.

Anyone know anything about how this disc was produced?

baggagebassman
12-06-2005, 09:02 PM
I LOVE The Bad Plus. I'd give a toe to go see them...

Jaded
12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
I dig the bad plus.

I like "Vistas", but haven't heard their other albums (yet).

King is fun to listen to on the drums. I like the Aphex Twin cover.

I was listening to their album and wondering how it was recorded. I'm guessing they must have had total isolation (a drum room) because on some tracks it sounds like he's hitting quite hard (for a jazz trio) at a level that would bleed into piano.

Anyone know anything about how this disc was produced?
Their drummer hits VERY hard, especially live. As far as production goes, I know they don't record with any effects of overdubs. At least that's what they said when I saw them in concert.

CaptainWaits
12-09-2005, 12:14 PM
They are AMAZING!!

I saw them live before I heard any of their music. I went with my older bro, it was rigt after their release of "Give". I'm stil, yet to hear their new album though, even though my bro owns it.

CaptainWaits
12-12-2005, 11:54 AM
They are AMAZING!!

I saw them live before I heard any of their music. I went with my older bro, it was rigt after their release of "Give". I'm stil, yet to hear their new album though, even though my bro owns it.
Awesome, cause I just bought their new album, "Suspicious Activity" on the weekend :) . 'The Empire Strikes Backwards' is a great song, my favorite on the album so far.