PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West Doesn't Care About Black People

Wedontgetfooledagain
11-06-2005, 09:19 AM
What's the song he samples for the backing vocals on 'Golddigga'? I think it's a blues song by either Leadbelly or John Lee Hooker. Anyone know?

Tomahawk
11-06-2005, 10:16 AM
It's from "I Got a Woman" by Ray Charles. As sung by Jamie Foxx, who played him in that movie Ray.

Luxor
11-06-2005, 12:07 PM
That's a good song.

Zappa
11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Am I the only one who is very much bothered by the bad intonation between that backing vocal and the rest of the beat?

Wedontgetfooledagain
11-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Interstate
11-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one who is very much bothered by the bad intonation between that backing vocal and the rest of the beat?

It kind of annoyed me at first but I got used to it.

JonM
11-06-2005, 01:05 PM
I kind of like it, actually. I just really like Jaime Foxx's voice.

6stringslinger
11-07-2005, 02:47 AM
I may not be saying this down the road, but Kanye has been a breath of fresh air to the declining quality of mainstream rap.

Also The Roots, Outkast and hopefully a reunited Fugees keep can keep the barely alive bloody bullet ridden beast a float.

Robert Crumb
11-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Actually, this year has been really good for mainstream rap. At least comparatively, I think. I'd say the mainstream is on an upswing. And not just because of Kanye. Little Brother put out a great album on Atlantic. Common, everyone and their mother knows that one. Ghostface has a new one for December on Def Jam, plus the new Outkast soundtrack/album whatever the fuck. The Documentary was far from classic but it kinda shed some of the typical mainstream mediocrity. Even stuff like David Banner's album and Beanie Sigel's have their moments. But I might just be an optimist.

Oh well, there's always the underground.

Illmatic
11-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I feel the same way, Robert Crumb.

Glitterati
11-07-2005, 11:28 PM

Yeah, it is kinda jerky.

Still a good song.

LF96
11-08-2005, 11:32 AM
I actually didn't really like that new Little Brother album. Very weak production...

neal_672
11-08-2005, 01:05 PM
I kind of like it, actually. I just really like Jaime Foxx's voice.

Aye, it's not taht great a song, Jamie Foxx makes it what ti is...

Kyle
11-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I just got Freshman Adjustment today, it's quality.

antiant
11-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I actually didn't really like that new Little Brother album. Very weak production...
i agree, "everyone" keeps saying how good the album is and this is "real hip hop" but to be quite frank it's shyt...if you've heard their first cd "the listening" and compare it to "the minstrel show" there is no growth in fact it's more like "going down the hill" or maybe they never were on that damn hill lol...i mean how many times are they going to talk about the same old rehashed issues? ie: "i have to take care of my daughter now" "girls didn't want to **** with me because i was broke" "now that i got a record deal the tables have turned" "no one supported us because we're speaking that real shyt" (paraphrasing here) yadda ****ing yadda it's the same old cliche themes with nothing new or original...and i'm sorry but when i heard "cheatin" i couldn't help but laugh that track is a joke i know but come on...no one wants to hear that shyt...give us some fire...and don't give us 25325 skits for us to sit through...i hate skits unless they're meaningful but now a days it's just a waste of space on the track...it's like *yawn* boring predictable material NEXT!

and kanye west: no comment LOL

*yells* I'M MIKE JONES I'M MIKE JONES....back then they didn't want me now i'm hot and they all on me...(i dun give a fuk who you are or what ur name is retard...i'm sorry but it's just hillarious to me and sad at the same time to know that shyt like this is actually getting sold *cringe* but like i said it's "predictable human nature" try that for an oxymoron/paradox)

Zesty Mordant
11-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Being somewhat related to the thead topic, has anyone heard "Lovely Rita Golddigger?" (at least I think that's what it's called).

Basically some DJ or internet nerd is giving Late Registration the Dangermouse/Grey Album treatment, but with Sgt. Peppers. Anyways, it's not half bad.

Robert Crumb
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
^Haven't heard that. I did hear a couple tracks from a Pet Sounds/College Dropout mashup. Those were slightly better than those things usually are.

My take is that 9th Wonder is the best at what he does. And what he does is jack old Pete Rock/early 90's beats. I'm sure it's been said before but it's true. I'm not sure if that's a jab or compliment. But he's good at it. I don't ever expect to be wowed by him at this point (and fruity loops only works until you have the resources to do better) but I like his influences and it works on a basic level for me.

Zesty Mordant
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
^^
very true, 9th wonder killed on the last Murs album, which I HIGHLY recommend to anybody interested in rap.

6stringslinger
11-08-2005, 11:49 PM
What do you mean by Dangermouse/Grey Album treatment?? Pardon me I am growing older and less hip.

antiant
11-09-2005, 04:58 AM
^^
very true, 9th wonder killed on the last Murs album, which I HIGHLY recommend to anybody interested in rap.
i'd have to agree with the Murs album, i liked it especially "3-16" "the animal" and "this is for" but overall a good album

JonM
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
What do you mean by Dangermouse/Grey Album treatment?? Pardon me I am growing older and less hip.
It means he took some hippity hop and mashed it all up with the Beatles, cuz that's what the cool kids like to do.

LF96
11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
i agree, "everyone" keeps saying how good the album is and this is "real hip hop" but to be quite frank it's shyt...if you've heard their first cd "the listening" and compare it to "the minstrel show" there is no growth in fact it's more like "going down the hill" or maybe they never were on that damn hill lol...i mean how many times are they going to talk about the same old rehashed issues? ie: "i have to take care of my daughter now" "girls didn't want to **** with me because i was broke" "now that i got a record deal the tables have turned" "no one supported us because we're speaking that real shyt" (paraphrasing here) yadda ****ing yadda it's the same old cliche themes with nothing new or original...and i'm sorry but when i heard "cheatin" i couldn't help but laugh that track is a joke i know but come on...no one wants to hear that shyt...give us some fire...and don't give us 25325 skits for us to sit through...i hate skits unless they're meaningful but now a days it's just a waste of space on the track...it's like *yawn* boring predictable material NEXT!
Lyrically they don't really bother me. Although they have pretty simple lyrics about simple themes I find Big Pooh and Phonte to have a nice chemistry between them. I really liked The Listening and Connected (from The Foreign Exchange), mostly for the production and that's exactly what this album failed to have: nice production. I actually liked 9th Wonder for a while, he has made some great beats and he still makes some cool stuff from time to time but he spreads his production too thin. His newer beats all sound the same: they almost all have a sped-up soul-sample and very weak drum sounds... I mean, I can make that stuff too if I want if I had the sample-material. That's what makes Pete Rock and Premier such great producers, they actually sample, 9th Wonder and Kanye West loop... At least I can give West some credit for having good sounding drums.

antiant
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Lyrically they don't really bother me. Although they have pretty simple lyrics about simple themes I find Big Pooh and Phonte to have a nice chemistry between them. I really liked The Listening and Connected (from The Foreign Exchange), mostly for the production and that's exactly what this album failed to have: nice production. I actually liked 9th Wonder for a while, he has made some great beats and he still makes some cool stuff from time to time but he spreads his production too thin. His newer beats all sound the same: they almost all have a sped-up soul-sample and very weak drum sounds... I mean, I can make that stuff too if I want if I had the sample-material. That's what makes Pete Rock and Premier such great producers, they actually sample, 9th Wonder and Kanye West loop... At least I can give West some credit for having good sounding drums.
yeah i'm basically on the same boat as you with both albums: the listening and connected and then after i heard the minstrel show it was like :rolleyes:, however it's like timbaland with his drumming technique or whatever you want to call it, then pharell a couple of years back, dominating the industry and music artists albums were heavily saturated with his beats to the point where everybody's album sounded the same (if you get what i mean), now it's kanye west in the spotlight with his "trademark" style the stuff tends to get boring there's no depth to it, because it's limited...i realize that it is what it is, however they eventually fall off at some point and then the next producer steps up to the plate with his/her "trademark" style and the cycle continues...who's got next? imo there is a problem when everybody is "borrowing" a producer to work on their material, but i guess that's "economic demand" exploiting music to the point of ad nauseam for the "value of a dollar" although some artists don't do this, it kind of becomes evident who is and in a way you know that 2pac song with the lyrics "everywhere i go...i see the same ho" it's the same thing with the producers...it's like didn't i just hear this beat on so and so's album? same beat different lyrics, same shyt different toilet or however you want to word it, but oh wells back on topic i'm done :)

Robert Crumb
11-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Was the name of this thread changed or have I lost it?

Iai
11-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Nah, it was changed.

antiant
11-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Was the name of this thread changed or have I lost it?
yeah it was changed, i looked at it and was like wtf this is old news? i posted in this?! :confused:

FUnkarockadrummer
11-10-2005, 12:59 AM

Jay-z's Black Album x The Beatles White album = Grey Album :)

Zappa
11-10-2005, 04:25 AM
:).

Kyle
11-10-2005, 05:34 AM
The name change amused me.

pendrightheloved1
11-11-2005, 09:39 AM
They also mixed the Black album with Slanted and Enchanted by Pavement and made the Slack album. I think they did the same with the blue album by weezer

Zesty Mordant
11-11-2005, 12:05 PM
there's a couple remixes of the Black Album out there, including one that mixes it with Metallica's "Black Album".

Most of them are probably terrible.

IAJP
11-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't really like it that much, I much prefer his first album to his new one in fact.

Jesus Walks is a pretty good song too.

Happymeal
11-11-2005, 02:25 PM
For me he's kind of hit or miss.

http://img1.zenhex.com/quiz1/2233/res5.jpg

IAJP
11-11-2005, 02:28 PM
He's the best mainstream rapper at the moment I reckon, he has more substance than most other mainstream rappers.

Happymeal
11-11-2005, 02:33 PM
Outkast had a better resumé though. Their stuff before Stankonia is sweet.

IAJP
11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Yeah I guess, I really like Speakerboxx.

Also, what a great edit.

Illmatic
11-11-2005, 02:54 PM
He's the best mainstream rapper at the moment I reckon, he has more substance than most other mainstream rappers.

Eh, I disagree.

Luxor
11-12-2005, 12:38 PM
For me he's kind of hit or miss.
I'll second that.