PDA

View Full Version : Some really hard bass player questions

fishingforbasses
11-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I play rock, but my melodic groove is defidently in the style of jazz. I had the liberty of purchasing two CD's that should sound familiar....

Marcus Millers - Silver Rain

and no jazz bassist's colloection isn't complete without....

A Jaco CD

I have Word OF Mouth Revised

I was wondering if there are any EASY songs on these CD's and which ones...
I am a good bassist, not the one plucking 1 2 3 2 1 4 2 5 6 or whatever
I CAN PLAY well, but which is the easier to learn first?

I worte this after I tried Barbary Coast...

THX
Devlano

manuscriptreplica
11-03-2005, 04:32 PM
There are no 'easy' songs on those CD's... they're called virtuosos for a reason.

fishingforbasses
11-03-2005, 04:42 PM
I don't know why I always have to explain everything in essay form....

I am looking for the easier ones.....I'm am asking which of the songs are the easiest, not asking for an easy one ......

ieatSouls
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Why are you asking us which songs are easier? Can't you tell by listening which ones you think you can play? You can tell better than us, that's for sure. Just pick one that sounds cool and try to figure it out. The harder the better if you ask me.

6stringslinger
11-03-2005, 06:37 PM
try the bass guitar forum, you will get more feedback

Caleb3221
11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
I've been working on Bruce Lee from Silver Rain, it's not ridiculously hard, and a very cool song and bass part. There is some stuff that I can't touch, though, especially in the solos.

basgitarist
11-04-2005, 03:21 AM
power of soul is one of the easiest I reccon

fishingforbasses
11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
thanks caleb and basgitarist.. I'll give em a try....

6 string slinger....thanks for the suggestion

rojo01
11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
what jaco cd? if you have heavy weather, A Remark You Made is an amazing song and its pretty simple. you could try portrait of tracy, thats a little tricky, off of invitation the amerika bass solos pretty simple, and those are just real simple ones. Being someone who isnt to good at slapping and popping marcus millers just out of my reach. but paris (the interlude) is pretty simple. no matter how easy the song is they are all VERY complex theory wise. you should understand that, even if you can play the lines, it doesnt mean you could have wrote them.

Knavery
11-07-2005, 08:46 AM
Or keep practicing untul you can play them. ;)

Chameleon
11-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Do you mean Word of Mouth Revisited? Barbary Coast is one of the easier songs on that CD...

Hard to really play properly, but easy to "blag".

Saxamassima3
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
or just stop bitching and play. nothing like a whiney bass player about how hard it is...

Chameleon
11-13-2005, 03:31 PM
or just stop bitching and play. nothing like a whiney bass player about how hard it is...

What's that got to do with anything? I don't think he's whining, he's just looking for something that's not too difficult.

I hope you're not one of these "bass is really easy" people...

Lady Lex
11-13-2005, 05:51 PM

omg.. if you werent a sax player (my assumption) Id burn you! Bass is the best. Bass players, amongst other abilities, get all the girls - doncha know that! ;)

Saxamassima3
11-14-2005, 09:14 PM
What's that got to do with anything? I don't think he's whining, he's just looking for something that's not too difficult.

I hope you're not one of these "bass is really easy" people...

naw, i'm one of those "stop bitching and practice" people. i love bass guitar, even though i can't play it very well...anyway, the way i got better was to play it over and over until i got it and then move on. just my opinion:chug:

Saxamassima3
11-14-2005, 09:23 PM
omg.. if you werent a sax player (my assumption) Id burn you! Bass is the best. Bass players, amongst other abilities, get all the girls - doncha know that! ;)

pah, i'd like to see this happen...we'll have a girl-off one day. until then... ;)

and i am a sax player, obviously everyone's weakness...:naughty:

don't whine, trumpets, you know we have it worse than you!:wave:

boog3ee
11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Actually Jaco's playing never struck as particularly technically hard to play, just needs to make sure you grasp the techniques that are ingenious in their simplicity, but getting the right feel is where the sh$t hits the fan, and figuring out the places from which he managed to create his harmonics... so basically theres a few tricks you need to know and you can play almost any jaco song... i wouldn't try to imitate his sound though, that is completely linked to some loose or otherwise extremely complex wiring that was in his brain!

rhcp pman
11-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Come On, Come Over doesn't strike me as being that hard.

PandaBass
11-18-2005, 05:03 AM
i knwo how ya feel man i tried learnin me and my bass guitar by wooten, it went over my head, but he has so many tricks up his sleeve it aint even funny. portrait of tracy is a good song to learn, i find it to be decently difficult.