PDA

View Full Version : House Drums

lofdrummer
10-31-2005, 03:43 PM
well...me and my band just went to a battle of the bands the weekend...it was out of town, and we only had a minivan for transportation. Luckily, house drums were provided, but some problems arose.
My bass player used to live in the town where we played, and told me that the school's drums would be used and that they were a 5-piece kit of tama's. turns out...they were 4-piece, and all the songs we had put together, most of my chops were better fit for a 5-piece. i managed to pull it off, but it was a close call...i had to re-invent most of my fills off the top of my head.
what's your guys' feelings on house drums? do you prefer to use them or your own? and have you ever had a situation like mine happen?

BTW...i know i should have checked beforehand, but...ah well

P.S: We Got 2nd Place \m/

Drum Phil
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
My own all the way

Janeway
10-31-2005, 03:53 PM
House drums.
I like touching other peoples stuff.
AND HOMG IT'S THE TALIB KWELI VIDEO!

Chris
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I hate using them (as you have the change all the heights ect), but saying that when my band plays on the 1st december, i have to use the house drums (as the venue wont let me use my own).

Drum Phil
10-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I HAVE to use my own stands, because the ones supplied may not be strong enough to hang the infinite amounts of crap on them as i do with my own

CasB
10-31-2005, 04:22 PM
i don't mind, as long as the kit doesn't fall apart. And I always use my own hardware, except when I know the venue has good stuff...but most of the time they have a mid 90's crapped out pearl export or something.

But somehow I play better on my own kit...

White
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
well, right now I like playing on the schools kit, I dont have one anymore, but soon to get my new one, but I like my schools set, its a Mapex orion. and I thought my school was poor lol, it is one of the sweetest sets I ahve ever used

Jezen
10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
The best idea is to check out the house kit before the gig. The worst thing is turning up and the kit in unplayable.

raz0r
10-31-2005, 05:38 PM
All the kits at my school suck.
They have 2 CB kits, and 2 Ludwig Accents, one of which isn't actually that bad, except for the fact that one of the tom mounts has a screw loose, and is stuck at some ungodly angle, with the toms pointing AWAY from each other.

For the annual school concert, for charity, they rented an Export, with B8s, and whoever set it up had a thing for tom angles. 45 degree tom angles. They also managed to set up the DBP on the left-hand side of the hi-hat, John Dolmayan style, which actually made it easier to play.

In conclusion, i'm using my own gear next time, as long as no one else does :D

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 06:06 PM
my own. i hate house kits, they always sound ****ty as hell...

Finch88
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
i use the one at my school ... its a yamaha stage custom ... my best friend has one too and i use his as well

so i like the yammies :)

then my other buddy has a ludwig accent ... im not crazy about it but his set up is really nice imo so whatever

i wouldnt say i adapt easily though cuz i can never play the drums at stores for some reason

aznriceball
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
i hate house kits. especially if u cant retune/change angles

White
10-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Sounds like Im the only one on here who has a school with a sweet set lol

Jezen
10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Gretsch Blackhawk :(

FL3P
10-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Bring as much of your own stuff as you can for sure just in case. As far as the 5 piece to 4 piece thing goes, thats not a big deal. I let people use my kit all the time (its a DW) and I find it annoying when they cant just play a 4 piece, its not that big a deal.

SadStairway
10-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Always bring your own kit. I played a show where one of the bands was chosen by the promoter to supply the kit. Some punk drummer brought an unfinished 4 piece kit with an 18 inch bass drum. The drums had no reso heads. Needless to say our set sounded awful. The trouble it takes to bring and set up your kit is worth it. Why let all the practice your band has put in go to waste because you end up on a ****ty kit.

FL3P
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Why let all the money you put into a nice kit go to waste.

Dookiedude3005
10-31-2005, 07:48 PM
I never trust a provided house kit, I bring all my own gear, everywhere I play. I like using my stuff and 9 times outta 10, the house kit will be a wreck or will have something wrong with it.

PremierManiac
10-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I make it a point to never use house kits. Always my own, no exceptions.

officer doofy
10-31-2005, 08:22 PM
I always use my own, I like 5 pieces and am afraid of getting stuck with a 4 pieces, plus my setup is pretty unusual.

DruMMeR_BoY14
11-01-2005, 03:13 AM
I'd only use house drums if I had to, such as in your situation. Usally they are low to mid end kits with bad cymbals and the hardware/heads are shot. i always try to bring my own kit whenever I can.

FL3P
11-01-2005, 07:15 AM
When you book gigs you can never ask too many questions.

dj_ando
11-01-2005, 07:27 AM
i dread using house drums. i remember one particular occasion a few years ago i was playing for my school band, and we were at an eisteddfod somewhere and they announced they had a brand new kit up on stage which had only been unwrapped half an hour beforehand. boy were my hopes crushed when i went up and the thing was nearly falling apart already. couldn't find a brand name on it anywhere, it was truly awful.