PDA

View Full Version : Douglas SB26 6 string

bbbbass
10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Quality-8.5
The bass is well made for its price, some bad frets, though, but can be fixed with careful hammering.

Features-8
Dual truss rods, 2 band eq (I upgraded it to a 3 band), Ash body, 24 frets, bolt on (duh), gold-tone hardware, adjustable bridge.

Playibility-8
Very playable, nice low action. Pretty light for a 6er, and has great string spacing; not too much for little hands, and still thumpable.

Value-10
Extremely good bargain, still not as braggable as a Brice, but close!
I also own a SR506 (yes, I know, everyone has 'em!!!), and I believe it is an economical substitute for the SR. It is like the 4th 6 string I've played, and it exceeded my expectations!! Perfect for the poor 6 string coveter!! Get 'em off eBay/rondo music for $200.

Tone-7.5
The pickups are decent, has an Artec 2 band eq, which I upgraded with a 3 band w/ concentric bass/treble. Pretty verstile, you can growl or achieve the sweet, warm highs the high c needs.

Appearance-9
As with most basses, they look 4x in person than in a mag or off the net. Nice transparent finish, alot lighter (color) than the ones pictured off eBay and rondo.

Overall-8.3
Rondo Music has done it again, given us some playable instruments minus the price of a big brand. I will say it again, the SB26 is an economical substitute for the SR506. Highly recommended for those "iffy" about buying a 6er.

dragonzmad
10-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Quality-8.5
The bass is well made for its price, some bad frets, though.

Features-8
Dual truss rods, 2 band eq (I upgraded it to a 3 band), Ash body, 24 frets.

Playibility-8
Very playable, nice low action.

Value-10
Extremely good bargain, still not as braggable as a Brice, but close!
I also own a SR506 (yes, I know, everyone has 'em!!!), and I believe it is an economical substitute for the SR. It is like the 4th 6 string I've played, and it exceeded my expectations!! Perfect for the poor 6 string coveter!!

EDIT: I will finish later, at school and have to go!!!

good deal I'm eager to hear the rest of the review. I was looking at getting a douglas 5 stringer since they no longer have the brice 5ers anymore

The Forgotten Bassist
10-31-2005, 12:18 PM
I also own a SR506 (yes, I know, everyone has 'em!!!)

I don't :upset:

Good review so far, look forward to the rest of the review. I assume you've got some pics for us as well.

Machines
10-31-2005, 12:31 PM
We could do with a bit more depth to the review when you get the chance :).

Tryxx
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
((Please post a link to any new reviews in the review index))

bbbbass
10-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Updated, ask questions freely (about the bass, you spammers!!!!!).

WHoRRID
10-31-2005, 05:05 PM
get pics and soundclip of that bad boy!!!

how is the hardware on that thing? the bridge pretty adjustable? how bout the tuners? stay in tune well?

dragonzmad
10-31-2005, 09:44 PM

how is the hardware on that thing? the bridge pretty adjustable? how bout the tuners? stay in tune well?
^^^^what he said. I'd actually just like to hear some clips if possible. How much did the 3 band eq cost you? and how did you remedy the bad frets?

bbbbass
10-31-2005, 09:44 PM

I personally don't have a camera, but my mom does. The hardware is good, and it stays in tune for up to 3 days! The bridge is very adjustable, but I really haven't needed to adjust the intonation yet. It has decent sustain.

What kind of sound clips do you want?

bbbbass
10-31-2005, 09:48 PM
^^^^what he said. I'd actually just like to hear some clips if possible. How much did the 3 band eq cost you?

The 3 band was an Artec as well, got it off eBay from a guy in Singapore. It was like $30, and a gold conentric knob was like $15. Well worth it, I believe.

Warning: CTS knobs don't fit the Artec concentric pot on the 3 band, and ones that will fit are hard to find. If you have a drill, use it to widen the knob hole.

EDIT: This is the manufacturer of the both eq's that I have
http://www.artecsound.com/main.html
eBay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bass-Guitar-6-String-New-Douglas-Ash-Body-Red_W0QQitemZ7361520087QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

bbbbass
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Here's a few pics

WHoRRID
11-06-2005, 11:37 AM
What kind of sound clips do you want?

i dont rlly care... play what u want, just show us what this bass has to offer. maybe play a lil slap deal, then fingerstyle, strum, then pick, what ever you want i just wanna hear the bass. just try not to color the tone too much tho maybe go DI.