PDA

View Full Version : Jimi Hendrix

Pages : [1] 2

-The Frank
10-31-2005, 05:25 AM
OK my last classic rock band thread sank, but this one i think really should be on top of things. This is a thread where we can enjoy and talk about the greatness of the most invoated guitarist ever.

Jimi hendrix got me into rock music without him i would be lost inbetween a sea of rap and simple plan.

Jimi needs no introduction, talk away.

Bass_ment
10-31-2005, 02:17 PM
I think we can all agree that his cover of Bob Dylan's All Around the Watchtower is probably the greatest cover song of all time, if not the greatest classic rock song of all time.

Also really love the song Power to Love. so great!!

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 02:31 PM
How about the song Burning of the Midnight Lamp. That song has an amazing intro that I love to play over and over on my guitar.

mono12
10-31-2005, 02:40 PM
ive never heard of these songs except AATW. which album?

Dreww
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I think we can all agree that his cover of Bob Dylan's All Around the Watchtower is probably the greatest cover song of all time, if not the greatest classic rock song of all time.

Greatest cover song of all time...
...Talking Heads - Take Me To The River. :D

But in all seriousness, Hendrix is an awesome guitarist. Not the best technically, but without a doubt the greatest guitarist of all time.

robo2448
10-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I love Hendrix. I have Band of Gypsys, AYE, Electric Ladyland, and a greatest hits. I always switch between my favorite. I really love Band of Gypsys and Electric Ladyland, just amazing. AYE is amazing too, just not up to those standards. I don't own Bold As Love, but I've listened to it a couple times and didn't think it was as good as Electric Ladyland or AYE. I really want Live At Woodstock.

Broken Arrow
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
I've got his three album with the Experience, Band of Gypsys, First Rays of the New Rising Sun, Martin Scorsese:Jimi Plays the Blues(something like that), The new 2 disc Woodstock DVD, Band of Gypsies DVD and Live at Berkley DVD.

You could say I enjoy his music.

Doctor Night
10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
I have his Woodstock show on CD, it's a good listen. What i hate so much, however is Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

PepsiMetal
10-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Meh, Im not much of a hendrix fan. He was a good guitarist though and very innovative, but just not my style.

the-ben
10-31-2005, 03:11 PM
ha, im listening to him right now, his song If 6 Was 9, I like that one because it tells you to be yourself, don't copy others. He has to be my favorite musician, his whole style and pshycadelic rock feel, and how he puts emotions into music.

Jack Daniels
10-31-2005, 03:29 PM
I love Hendrix. I have Band of Gypsys, AYE, Electric Ladyland, and a greatest hits. I always switch between my favorite. I really love Band of Gypsys and Electric Ladyland, just amazing. AYE is amazing too, just not up to those standards. I don't own Bold As Love, but I've listened to it a couple times and didn't think it was as good as Electric Ladyland or AYE. I really want Live At Woodstock.

IMO bold as love is his best album together with electric ladyland. You cant compare them because they are so different.
I think Jimi Hendrix is the coolest guitarist ever to have lived. Not the greatest or most innovative but the coolest :cool:

Britton
10-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow I was just making my write up so I could come make this thread

Chilifanthatsme
10-31-2005, 03:37 PM
I got Voodoo Child Jimi Hendrix Collection, i love it. I think one of my favourites is probably Are you Experienced? but its hard to choose.

PinkFreud
10-31-2005, 03:39 PM
power to love is on the band of gypsys live cd and burning of the midnight lamp is off of electric ladyland.

i have all 3 experience albums, band of gypsys, the 4 disc box set, 3 bootlegs, first rays of the new rising sun, live at woodstock, albert hall experience, bbc sessions, jimi blues, live at berkeley, live at winterland, live at woodstock, and the monterey pop festival.

temporary
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
I should really get Band of Gypsy's. I've heard Machine Gun from it, and its just amazing.

Broken Arrow
10-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Band of Gypsies is like my favourite live album ever.

DBoons Ghost
10-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Axis Bold as Love is among the best classic rock albums ever.

Start to finish.

Amazing.

Axis Bold As Love, the song, is one of the best songs I have ever heard in my life.

Jimi is incredible. His riffs spanned more genres than he gets credit for.

denboy
10-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Jimi Hendrix might just be my favorite musician ever

Britton
10-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Jimi Hendrix might just be my favorite musician ever

He's definatly mine

Jacaranda
10-31-2005, 05:04 PM
I avoided this thread cause I thought it would turn into an Anit-Jimi thread. I think he is in fact the greatest guitar player of all time (Behind Jeff Beck :)) and he is a good singer also my favorite song would have to be Castle's Made of Sand.

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM

I've never heard of Power as love, but burning of the midnight lamp is on Electric Ladyland which has Voodoo Child (slight return) and All Along the Watchtower.

JonG
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Band of Gypsys makes happy in my pants.

:)

Hasn't this thread been done a lot?

classicrockman
10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
YES!!!!

Jimi Hendrix rules!! I love all of his material. Espicially when he goes really bluesly. That's probably why "Red House" is my favorite song by Jimi.

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 05:47 PM
YES!!!!

Jimi Hendrix rules!! I love all of his material. Espicially when he goes really bluesly. That's probably why "Red House" is my favorite song by Jimi.

That song is also a bitch to memorize. It's a one long giant solo. So is AATW.

Just a testament to how good he really is.

Can anyone here play Fire or Purple Haze?

classicrockman
10-31-2005, 05:49 PM

I can play "Purple Haze." Never really tried to learn to play "Fire" however.

(On guitar right?)

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 05:57 PM
I can play "Purple Haze." Never really tried to learn to play "Fire" however.

(On guitar right?)

Yeah on guitar. Fire is easy during the intro and verses but it can be a bitch during the chorus. The solo is so easy that I wasn't sure it was written by Jimi. j/k. Just a full bend on the 15th fret on 2nd string plus a couple of other notes.

Purple haze has an awesome intro.

BludgeonySteve
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
Voodoo Child (slight return) is a pain to memorize. I got to the end of the first solo and just decided to improvise the rest.

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Voodoo Child (slight return) is a pain to memorize. I got to the end of the first solo and just decided to improvise the rest.

Yeah, I get to the first verse and then I'm kinda stumped. I managed to get to the second solo on AATW. I just need to find a good slide and get my wah fixed. Then I can finish learning that and the rest of Burning of the Midnight Lamp. (possibly jimi's best intro to a song. IMO)

JonG
10-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Also, the entire band would suffer greatly without Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell.

Buddy Miles and Billy Cox were great too.

robo2448
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Also, the entire band would suffer greatly without Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell.

Mitch Mitchell is an incredible drummer. Never been a big Noel Redding fan, but he's a good bassist.

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 06:08 PM

Oh definitely. Mitch Mitchell was a phenomenal drummer. Noel didn't strike me as amazing but listen to stuff like Manic Depression and you'll see Mitch's amazing drum work. I was like :amaze:. For that time period, that was amazing.

classicrockman
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM

I prefer the Jimi, Mitch, and Noel lineup better. 'Are You Experienced?' is amazing.

JonG
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
I realized awhile ago how blah "Fire" would sound without drums.

:\

lightningmetal666
10-31-2005, 06:13 PM
I realized awhile ago how blah "Fire" would sound without drums.

:\

Yeah that is true. The song is mostly about drums anyways.

rockinbass17
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Mitchell and Redding were an incredibly underrated rythem section. Next to Jimi's showmanship, not many people recognized their talent, or how tight they were to keep up with Hendrix's crazy live sh!t.

Motley 1
10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
i like voodoo child and all around the watch tower tho it was a cover. i love jimi. voodoo chlid is like my fav

Jacaranda
10-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Noel Redding was really nothing special, but if Mitch Mitchell had been in any other rock band at the time he would've been one of the big "players".

Alessandro
10-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Noel Redding was really nothing special, but if Mitch Mitchell had been in any other rock band at the time he would've been one of the big "players".

But he was a great player with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, I love his work on "Fire".

Jacaranda
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
But he was a great player with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, I love his work on "Fire".
What I ment he would be the John Bonham to Jimi's Page. Thats said correctly, I think... when I usually hear bout Led Zeppelin its always Page and Bonham getting the raves while in JHE it was mostly Jimi.

Alessandro
10-31-2005, 10:49 PM
What I ment he would be the John Bonham to Jimi's Page. Thats said correctly, I think... when I usually hear bout Led Zeppelin its always Page and Bonham getting the raves while in JHE it was mostly Jimi.

Oh, ok now I see what you mean, yeah I agree with you.

-The Frank
11-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Yeah that is true. The song is mostly about drums anyways.
The drums give the song its groove ans style. Wihout the drums it would suck haha. But, yah, fire is amazing at woodstock.

Britton
11-01-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm a big fan of mitch and yes he kinda had to stand in the shadow of Jimi
cause Jimi was so new and happening (so was mitch..but not as much as Jimi)

I'm not a huge fan of redding I personally like Cox's funky rythym
more. But still Noel was one heck of a player

-The Frank
11-01-2005, 02:43 AM
^^agreeded mitch was really just amazing to watch. HE was always doing something, he was always so energetic........ Noel, for me, was cool and he fit, but wasnt as interesting to watch as were mitch and jimi

Britton
11-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Noel got caught watching alot in my opinion

not to take anything away...well maybe a little

StreetlightRock
11-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Fire's all about the rythm, and Mitch did an amazing job on it.

mr black
11-01-2005, 04:19 AM
Fire's all about the rythm, and Mitch did an amazing job on it.

Can't stress that enough, its perfection that track :thumb:

zeppelin_freak07
11-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Jimi Hendrix is so sweet. its to bad he had to die. he learned to play when he was 17 years old and died when he way 29. That is crazy that he only played for 12 years and did what he did for rock and roll. another great thing about jimi is his music is very much the style of music that is being played today. The man was just simpley amazing. I wish i could go back in time and go to woodstock. im only 16 years old and jimi hendrix is who got me into rock instead of the crap thats played today. however there is some good rock being played today. and who ever says stevie ray vaugn is the greatest guitarist of all time, get out of here, because if it weren't for jimi, stievie wouldnt have made it. however, jimmy page and eric clapton are among the best of all time. what are your thoughts of the greatest guitarist of all time?

zeppelin_freak07
11-01-2005, 09:06 AM
WHO IS THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME?

VOTE #1 - Jimi Hendrix

Joe
11-01-2005, 09:10 AM
OK my last classic rock band thread sank, but this one i think really should be on top of things. This is a thread where we can enjoy and talk about the greatness of the most invoated guitarist ever.

inovated? and good luck, my clapton thread died really quick a few months back. i'd love it if this stayed alive

WHO IS THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME?

VOTE #1 - Jimi Hendrix

There was already an MX poll and that was eventually the result, even though I disagree. (watch the double posts zepfreak)

I read an awesome biography of Jimi over the summer. Any big hendrix fans shuold definitely check it out.

Iron Maiden
11-01-2005, 09:13 AM
ok, my favorite song of his is defintely purple haze, obviously it is the coolest riff EVERRRRRRRRR

Joe
11-01-2005, 09:15 AM
ok, my favorite song of his is defintely purple haze, obviously it is the coolest riff EVERRRRRRRRR

It's Jimi's the coolest somewhat distorted riff; the coolest in my opinion of Jimi's is Little Wing's intro.

Paul H.
11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Jimi = Greatest Guitarist Ever

Doctor Night
11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Jimi = Greatest Guitarist Ever

I too Disagree with that statement.

lightningmetal666
11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
It's Jimi's the coolest somewhat distorted riff; the coolest in my opinion of Jimi's is Little Wing's intro.

I haven't heard Jimi's version, but I have heard Stevie Ray Vaughans and I was completely floored by it. Now that is how you play guitar.:D

Britton
11-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Jimi is the bomb

I wanted to make this thread but I didn't get here on time...but sense
it's here I guess I'l attempt to keep it alive.

Jimi's my alltime fav guitar player yet I only play 3 songs of his...anyone else
have this problem?

Woodstock
11-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm listening to Electric Ladyland right now. I think this is his masterpiece, just a little better than Axis: Bold As Love. His playing blows me away on every song.

Britton
11-02-2005, 04:20 PM
What's you're favourite song on that?

Woodstock
11-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Either Long Hot Summer Night, Come On Pt. 1, or 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be).

Britton
11-02-2005, 04:23 PM
I love LHSN it's been awhile sense I've listened to it but I'm about to go
do that in a minute. I also love All along the watchtower.

do you have any of the bootlegs?

Woodstock
11-02-2005, 04:25 PM
No, no bootlegs. Just a few live shows, and the Blues album, which is amazing.

Britton
11-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Yea I have everything except the bootlegs.

Have you seen the new Woodstock DVD?

Woodstock
11-02-2005, 04:30 PM
No, but I've heard about it. It sounds great. The only Hendrix material on the actual Woodstock film is Purple Haze, Voodoo Child, and his jam, so it would be awesome his full performance.

Britton
11-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Walmart has it at 12 USD so I'm gonna go pick that up

I also want Isle of wight. I rented it when it came out and I've wanted
to buy it ever since

Woodstock
11-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Wasn't that the performance when he ripped his pants on stage?

DesolationRow
11-02-2005, 04:34 PM
My favorite song off of Are You Experienced would have to be Can You See Me. But i believe Voodoo Child (Slight Return) to be the greatest electric guitar performance in my opinion. Mitch was indeed a phenomenal drummer, but as a bass player, I don't exactly have a liking for Noel Redding.

Britton
11-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Wasn't that the performance when he ripped his pants on stage?

Yep that's the one. He rips it then walks over behind his stacks

I think it happens during Foxy Lady

Joe
11-02-2005, 10:17 PM
I haven't heard Jimi's version, but I have heard Stevie Ray Vaughans and I was completely floored by it. Now that is how you play guitar.:D
It's a bit different. The intro is the same but SRV made the song different. Email me if you want Hendrix's (gocaps99@aol.com)

Man woodstock, it seems like you haven't been here in forever... but I don't hang out in CR too much...

Illmatic
11-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Jimi hendrix got me into rock music without him i would be lost inbetween a sea of rap and simple plan.

There's really nothing wrong with hip-hop, people :-\

I like the fusion-y and the soul stuff myself.

He and Moon and Bonham and probably Ginger Baker were the first drummers to really grab the listener's attention, I think.

I prefer Buddy Miles, though.

But i believe Machine Gun to be the greatest electric guitar performance in my opinion

Fixed.

I find SRV's version of "Little Wing" to be very tiresome, actually :-\

magicbus
11-02-2005, 10:47 PM
"Machine Gun" is amazing. The entire Band of Gypsies is actually. "Who Knows" has an AWESOME groove, "Machine Gun"'s intro is so sweet, the tone rules there. "Power To Love" is extremely powerful. All the songs on there are great.

PinkFreud
11-02-2005, 11:00 PM
He and Moon and Bonham and probably Ginger Baker were the first drummers to really grab the listener's attention, I think.
and paice. mitchell and paice and pace were among the first to introduce jazz chops into a rock band.

Britton
11-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Mitch was a incredible drummer. There are so many good songs
that he made great.

I too really like buddy but sometimes he's just a little too much

-The Frank
11-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Walmart has it at 12 USD so I'm gonna go pick that up

I also want Isle of wight. I rented it when it came out and I've wanted
to buy it ever since
the woodstock dvd is incredible. Go Buy It Now.

Jude
11-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't have Band of Gypsies and need to remedy that. I'm willing to trade for it on AIM (Mistergroovy1023) or download from YSI (mistergroovy1023@gmail.com)

Britton
11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
I'll trade you but not over AIM

Maybe YSI links?

what would you be willing to trade?

Jude
11-03-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll trade you but not over AIM

Maybe YSI links?

what would you be willing to trade?
I have tons of stuff. Everyone loves Porcupine Tree and I have 21 hours of their stuff, for example.

Britton
11-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Holy sheet's

Do you have any Hendrix bootlegs?

Woodstock
11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
It's a bit different. The intro is the same but SRV made the song different. Email me if you want Hendrix's (gocaps99@aol.com)

Man woodstock, it seems like you haven't been here in forever... but I don't hang out in CR too much...
Yea, I was gone for awhile, and when I was here, I didn't post much.

I prefer Buddy Miles, though.
I don't see why you prefer Buddy Miles. He wasn't much of a drummer. Sure, he could keep a groove, but nothing he did stood out like Mitchell's drumming.

Illmatic
11-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't see why you prefer Buddy Miles. He wasn't much of a drummer. Sure, he could keep a groove, but nothing he did stood out like Mitchell's drumming.

I'm not sure, it's really just personal preference.

Broken Arrow
11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh, I see how it is.

lightningmetal666
11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Has any guitar players here tried out that digitech jimi hendrix wah?

It looks nice but it's really expensive. :confused:

RU Experienced? is my fav. album but Burning of the Midnight Lamp is my fav. Jimi Hendrix song. I love the lyrics and effects on that album.

ok lateralus
11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
I hate how a lot of people overlook Jimi's best material. Everyone just loves Purple Haze and Foxy Lady, but they're missing out on some amazing ****. I think the 4 cd box set is amazing in terms of highlighting how versatile he was. Though still, the best release is of course Electric Ladyland. Actually, all the studio ones are gold.

Illmatic
11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't know if I said it already, but Band Of Gypsies is my favorite Hendrix album.

I heard Hendrix and Miles Davis were planning to do an album together, but then Hendrix died :(

lightningmetal666
11-03-2005, 05:28 PM
I hate how a lot of people overlook Jimi's best material. Everyone just loves Purple Haze and Foxy Lady, but they're missing out on some amazing ****. I think the 4 cd box set is amazing in terms of highlighting how versatile he was. Though still, the best release is of course Electric Ladyland. Actually, all the studio ones are gold.

Yeah they miss out on sh*t like Manic Depression and 1983 (a merman I should turn to be)

Awesome stuff.

ok lateralus
11-03-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't know if I said it already, but Band Of Gypsies is my favorite Hendrix album.

It is amazing, Machine Gun especially. Even the greatest guitarist in the world today can't match that. Every little nuance he does... it's just jawdropping. And though I like Mitch Mitchell better maybe, Buddy really makes that record. Changes is great.

Bluesiestman
11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
ive got a copy of are you experienced from like the eighties (only the stuff that was on the original album, not all the other songs they added to it), but purple haze skips...

Love hendrix. I have most albums, save the dagger records ones and box set, and best ofs.

lightningmetal666
11-03-2005, 05:33 PM
It is amazing, Machine Gun especially. Even the greatest guitarist in the world today can't match that. Every little nuance he does... it's just jawdropping. And though I like Mitch Mitchell better maybe, Buddy really makes that record. Changes is great.

I've never gotten around to listening to that album. How does BOG rate to the JHE?

I know it still has Jimi in it but mostly new ppl. Also how does that album rate to Jimi's first 3 albums?

Illmatic
11-03-2005, 05:34 PM

I can't put my finger on it, but there is something that is just great on that album...the Band of Gypsies really settle into this great groove that I think Hendrix always wanted out of the Experience.

ok lateralus
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I've never gotten around to listening to that album. How does BOG rate to the JHE?

I know it still has Jimi in it but mostly new ppl. Also how does that album rate to Jimi's first 3 albums?

It's a great album, and is definitely essential though I'd say the Experience as heard on the studio albums is better. Maybe just because it's a live album, so it's not as refined. Jimi's music in the studio and Jimi's music on stage is like two different works of art.

ok lateralus
11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but there is something that is just great on that album...the Band of Gypsies really settle into this great groove that I think Hendrix always wanted out of the Experience.

Yeah, it's definitely a very different kind of sound than with the Experience, more R+B and soul, and also maybe a little darker, as is obvious with Machine Gun. I think it would be interesting to hear what it would sound like if AYE, Axis and EL were made with the Band of Gypsys instead of the Exp.

Britton
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
It's really funky

if you all need anyting just let me know at

brittonmadcap@yahoo.com

robo2448
11-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Band of Gypsies is probably my favorite Hendrix album. I like live albums in general more than studio albums. My favorite is always either Band of Gypsies or Electric Ladyland but usually Band of Gypsies is on top. Are You Experienced is just below them, but I feel that Bold as Love isn't quite as consistent as the others.

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I liked his long, experimental songs like Easy Rider and some other really long song. They were so ahead of the time.

King_Of_Terrors
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
I had a Hendrix shirt once, but it fell into my lake and I lost it...

dirtydreamers
11-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Check out this band from Hull in England

www.thedirtydreamers.cjb.net

Cheers

Britton
11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Get out of here with you're spam

I really like Electric Lady land
Then it's Axis
Then are you EXP
then Band of Gypsys

But my real favourite is live at woodstock

-The Frank
11-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Get out of here with you're spam

I really like Electric Lady land
Then it's Axis
Then are you EXP
then Band of Gypsys

But my real favourite is live at woodstock
wodstock owns.........its so great how jimi goes from his star spangled banner intro to purple haze without missing a beat....it just flows so beautifully

Britton
11-04-2005, 01:22 PM
That whole second disc is so inspiring to me

mono12
11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
i would quite like another album by jimi,(first rays of the rising sun) and i want more but i dont know which one to get ive heard that are you experienced? is the best or Electric Ladyland and i dont know anything bout Band of gypsies or axis: bold as love. how do they compare

Britton
11-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Well it's really a matter of opinion.

I really like al of them (I'm one of those uber fanboys)

I would say that R U EXP is one of those albums that you get on a saturday go
to you're room with some friends and just hang out all day with. Axis is along
the lines of something I would listen to with my Gal. Band of G's is for chillin
too...but then again it has some get up and go.

I really like New rising sun. THough so it's really up to you

what do you have of him?

mono12
11-04-2005, 02:54 PM
First rays of new rising sun 4/5
some cd where he plays the blues (Jimi Hendrix:Blues) 4/5

Lots of other songs,

Fire (live) 4/5
Purple haxe (live @ woodstock) 5/5
Little wing 5/5
Red house (live and studio) 5/5 (has anyone got a version of this called Electic Church Red House its the best ive heard.)
Bleeding heart 2/5
Hey Joe (live) 5/5
Voodoo chile Slight return 5/5

some of those live versions are really badly mixed

Britton
11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Did those come off of the Voodoo child CD?

mono12
11-04-2005, 03:00 PM
they're off various compilations,a CD of bad hendrix versions called purple haze i found in the bargain basket off a supermarket that costs £2.99
air guitar album
and i downloaded some

Britton
11-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Okay cool

so you don't have any actuell albums?

rockinbass17
11-04-2005, 09:59 PM
i would quite like another album by jimi,(first rays of the rising sun) and i want more but i dont know which one to get ive heard that are you experienced? is the best or Electric Ladyland and i dont know anything bout Band of gypsies or axis: bold as love. how do they compare

Hmmm... I would say that Axis:Bold as Love is almost a fusion album. It's my personal favorite, I think it shows his best songwriting skills, and his best tone. It's a little jazzy. Are You Experienced? is more a hard rock album with all his known songs, but I don't think that it displays his best talent as a songwriter.

Krabsworth
11-04-2005, 10:10 PM
They should've gave Noel Redding more lead vocal songs. His voice is awesome. It has a strained nasally tone that is really cool.

Britton
11-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Umm well maybe but I just feel more at home with Hendrix.

it's cool hearing noel sing though

-The Frank
11-05-2005, 02:28 AM
They should've gave Noel Redding more lead vocal songs. His voice is awesome. It has a strained nasally tone that is really cool.

what songs does he sing on?

mono12
11-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Okay cool

so you don't have any actuell albums?

Yes, "first rays of the new rising sun".
is that not an actual album?

Britton
11-05-2005, 01:40 PM

He sings on a song called she's so fine. It's weird cause the music
is EXP but the voice isn't. if you would like I could hook you up.

and yes FROTNRS is a whole album. Hendrix was almost complete with it
at the time of his death. Sadly he was unable to finish it. THe album was
split up among several tribute albums and later put back together in
1997. I can hook you up too if you'd like.

It's

brittonmadcap@yahoo.com

Broken Arrow
11-05-2005, 02:07 PM
On Axis -She's So Fine

On Ladyland-Little Miss Strange

Britton
11-05-2005, 02:11 PM
On Axis -She's So Fine

On Ladyland-Little Miss Strange

I havn't listend to LMS in a while but if I remember right
they sound alot alike

Broken Arrow
11-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I like Little Miss Strange better but that probably becaus ethe guitar work is better.

Illmatic
11-05-2005, 03:00 PM
The Noel Redding-sung songs from the JHE were always the weaker ones, IMO.

Broken Arrow
11-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, Noel should have stayed to singing back up. I thought Noel and Mitch were always pretty good back up singers.

When rythym players are singing lead in a Hendrix song Buddy Miles wins the competetion.

<-----------------------Winner

Illmatic
11-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, not just that, but "Little Miss Strange" is pretty bland and sounded really out of place on Electric Ladyland.

Broken Arrow
11-05-2005, 03:19 PM
I might agree but some of the guitar work in that used to really stand out in that song to me. Not really the technical ability of it more of the layers of different guitars coming in here and there.

ok lateralus
11-05-2005, 06:47 PM
I dont mind the Noel songs. Shes so fine has a great melody though it is dated, and Little miss strange does have fantastic guitar work. Not nearly the best on Electric Ladyland but still is fine

Broken Arrow
11-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I just listened to Come On(Let the Good Times Roll), such amazing guitar work in that song,

ok lateralus
11-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I just listened to Come On(Let the Good Times Roll), such amazing guitar work in that song,
Yeah thats always struck me as some of Jimi's best playing, how the solos are bluesy, fast yet very melodic and tasteful... and the rhythm playing is really great too

Britton
11-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Yeah thats always struck me as some of Jimi's best playing, how the solos are bluesy, fast yet very melodic and tasteful... and the rhythm playing is really great too

At his best. I really enjoy the concerts from arounf that time

-The Frank
11-05-2005, 10:14 PM
He sings on a song called she's so fine. It's weird cause the music
is EXP but the voice isn't. if you would like I could hook you up.

and yes FROTNRS is a whole album. Hendrix was almost complete with it
at the time of his death. Sadly he was unable to finish it. THe album was
split up among several tribute albums and later put back together in
1997. I can hook you up too if you'd like.

It's

brittonmadcap@yahoo.com

yah, that would be cool if you could send me some of that stuff....

my email is:
dr_homely@hotmail.com

rubyseyes
11-05-2005, 10:19 PM

i dont have electric ladyland. which one is better out of that and band of gypsys?

PIGS(1 different one)
11-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Jimi Hendrix is so sweet. its to bad he had to die. he learned to play when he was 17 years old and died when he way 29. That is crazy that he only played for 12 years and did what he did for rock and roll. another great thing about jimi is his music is very much the style of music that is being played today. The man was just simpley amazing. I wish i could go back in time and go to woodstock. im only 16 years old and jimi hendrix is who got me into rock instead of the crap thats played today. however there is some good rock being played today. and who ever says stevie ray vaugn is the greatest guitarist of all time, get out of here, because if it weren't for jimi, stievie wouldnt have made it. however, jimmy page and eric clapton are among the best of all time. what are your thoughts of the greatest guitarist of all time?

this post gets a stamp(s) of disapproval

Britton
11-06-2005, 01:08 AM
yah, that would be cool if you could send me some of that stuff....

my email is:
dr_homely@hotmail.com

You made the thread...

what exactly would you like?

-The Frank
11-06-2005, 01:10 AM
the FROTNRS album

Pleabo
11-06-2005, 02:14 AM

I can play both, on the bass.

-The Frank
11-06-2005, 03:45 AM
i can play fire and purple haze on bass, and guitar....

mono12
11-06-2005, 01:04 PM
That song (red house) is also a bitch to memorize. It's a one long giant solo. So is AATW.

its just improv, i doubt he actually wrote the solos. all you have to do is learn the general structure and a few key licks and improv around, just don't try to copy him.

Romencer17
11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
I don't know why, but Jimi get starts sounding really bad to me if I try to listen to AYE album two times through. It's strange, because usually I can listen to albums through a lot. When I got Strange Days by the Doors, I was so amazed by it I listened to it 5 times through.

Britton
11-07-2005, 04:08 PM
It's funny I love Hendrix but I find it hard to play...not in a physical sense
I just have a hard time playing it.

anyone who wants FROTNRS need to Email me at

brittonmadcap@yahoo.com

lightningmetal666
11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
That song [red house] is also a bitch to memorize. It's a one long giant solo. So is AATW.

its just improv, i doubt he actually wrote the solos. all you have to do is learn the general structure and a few key licks and improv around, just don't try to copy him.

Yeah that's true. I think he was in E minor but not too sure on that. I did do something on my guitar that sounds kinda like that intro lick with the double stops.

ok lateralus
11-07-2005, 05:51 PM
No for Red House it's in B minor Penatonic. Bb Minor, technically, cause he tunes down a half step.

lightningmetal666
11-07-2005, 06:00 PM
No for Red House it's in B minor Penatonic. Bb Minor, technically, cause he tunes down a half step.

Ah, i see.

I just saw the part where there's a 1 1/2 interval between 12 and 15 on his high E and just assumed otherwise. Well that'll make my improv. sound much better on that song.:lol:

I tried playing BOTML on my new les paul and it actually sound better that on my brothers strat. Kinda weird huh?

superjoe
11-07-2005, 07:49 PM
ah, gotta love hendrix. listened to axis today, whole thing, its flawless.

lightningmetal666
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
ah, gotta love hendrix. listened to axis today, whole thing, its flawless.

Hey, can someone send Machine Gun to me?

email is lightningmetal666@yahoo.com

I've heard nothing but good things about this song but have been denied by insufficient funds as to getting Axis, so any help would be just awesome.:thumb:

ok lateralus
11-07-2005, 08:24 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about this song but have been denied by insufficient funds as to getting Axis, so any help would be just awesome.:thumb:
i can, i will in a sec.

it is an amazing song

edit: nevermind sorry it appears I dont have it on my comp. Do you want Axis? I'll send you that.

-The Frank
11-08-2005, 02:46 AM

i think i can send you machine gun

Britton
11-08-2005, 03:00 AM
If neither of them can I will

Great avatar Frank

-The Frank
11-08-2005, 03:12 AM
If neither of them can I will

Great avatar Frank
why thank you :)

also to lightningmetal666

im sending the shizz right now.....

lightningmetal666
11-08-2005, 01:06 PM
i can, i will in a sec.

it is an amazing song

edit: nevermind sorry it appears I dont have it on my comp. Do you want Axis? I'll send you that.

You can send any Jimi that you want.

Kind of a weird story but a good one.

I was browsing through the catalog at my College's library and I started typing in bands that I like just to mess around and I typed in Jimi and sure enough I find that the library had the original tab books to his first three albums. I checked them out and I'm now like 2 weeks overdue.

I'm thinking about keeping them. What do you guys think?

edit: thanx frank I got machine gun and I'll listen to it later but I've gotta go to work

rockoholic91
11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
i need help with some Hendrix stuff.....

http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10342281#post10342281

any contributions would be great.

-The Frank
11-09-2005, 03:52 AM
bumpity bump, did anyone else find it weird about how many songs were on are you experieced?

Bluesman
11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
i like most of his stuff but some if it is too obsucre for me. to many primitive effects i guess. i could only imgaine what he'd sound like with todays gear.

Chris_lpp
11-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Wasnt born in time to see him. Love little wing and AAtWT...

Some people say ''he is/isn't the best''
Frankly its like saying who's the fastest runner in the world?? Know one knows! Its different every decade!! There is a record. but Tony Hawk only landed The 900 once or twice! All people here love him. The older ones will appreciate him and the younger ones will love kirk hammet but they'll hopefully grow out of the metal soon enough. Pass this on to ''who is the best'' threads!!

Chris_lpp
11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
i like most of his stuff but some if it is too obsucre for me. to many primitive effects i guess. i could only imgaine what he'd sound like with todays gear.

Better but worse i guess. The dirty effect of the old marshalls sounds great but.....

Britton
11-09-2005, 12:38 PM
You can send any Jimi that you want.

Kind of a weird story but a good one.

I was browsing through the catalog at my College's library and I started typing in bands that I like just to mess around and I typed in Jimi and sure enough I find that the library had the original tab books to his first three albums. I checked them out and I'm now like 2 weeks overdue.

I'm thinking about keeping them. What do you guys think?

edit: thanx frank I got machine gun and I'll listen to it later but I've gotta go to work

You should keep them. They are more then worth the 30 bucks they'll
charge you for keeping them

Doctor Night
11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm listening to his Woodstock set at the moment, it's not as bad as I thought.

Britton
11-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Why did you think it was bad?

Cal_on_drums
11-09-2005, 02:44 PM
I love Hendrix. When I first got 'Voodoo Child' never before had I experienced such power and emotion in music. He's so unique in his playing style. Maybe not technically the best, but the emotion he expresses with his guitar in my opinion is unique to him and few others.

And God, do I love Mitych Mitchell. Fire is just the most amazing song-My favouite play along to.

Broken Arrow
11-09-2005, 03:20 PM
bumpity bump, did anyone else find it weird about how many songs were on are you experieced?
No, because the last 5 songs aren't on the original LP and were added on when the CD was made.

Senator Screw You
11-09-2005, 03:32 PM
I remember when I first heard Hendrix, I was about 12 listening to this "driving rock compilation" or whatever, and then Voodoo Child was on it, and it blew my [blooming] mind, the looseness and power of the guitar and, actually, the entire band made me re-think my entire view on music.
Hendrix was not technically gifted nor a virtuoso, but the most original and unique musicians of all time. Second to him is Paganini:thumb:

KRASH
11-09-2005, 04:06 PM
2 words

HE ROCKS!!!

the best ever

Britton
11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I remember when I first heard Hendrix, I was about 12 listening to this "driving rock compilation" or whatever, and then Voodoo Child was on it, and it blew my [blooming] mind, the looseness and power of the guitar and, actually, the entire band made me re-think my entire view on music.
Hendrix was not technically gifted nor a virtuoso, but the most original and unique musicians of all time. Second to him is Paganini:thumb:

Amen.

for those of you that wanted FROTNRS it will be sent out later tonight.

robo2448
11-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Amen.

Oh could I get that? robo2448@yahoo.com

ok lateralus
11-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Amen.

can you send it it me?

oklateralus@yahoo.com

thx

Broken Arrow
11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I already have it. Hey Baby abd Night Bird Flying are probably my favourite.

Woodstock
11-09-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Baby rivals Little Wing for me. Great guitar intro.

Broken Arrow
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah, Hey Baby is one of my favourite songs ever let alone favourite Hendrix song.

Does anyone have the album Live at Berkley? I have the DVD but want the audio. The version of Straight Ahead is much better than the studio version, way more groove.

Woodstock
11-09-2005, 05:56 PM
I only have the DVD too. It's still good, though. Some awesome performances of his songs on FROTNRS.

Broken Arrow
11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, the DVD is still awesome. I love the riot footage during Machine Gun too. It fits the song so well.

JonG
11-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Mind sending me that?

jong21790@gmail.com

GnRguitarist
11-09-2005, 07:49 PM
A white supremecist I know wrote me this email:

"I'm a huge fan of rock music, but I think Jimmy Hendrix is over-rated".

Thoughts?

PinkFreud
11-09-2005, 07:51 PM
he definitely gets overrated, except on sites like this. on mx, its cool to hate on him because, "petrucci can play so much faster," or "he couldnt keep up with guitarists nowadays."

all true statements but it keeps hendrix from getting the credit he should.

ok lateralus
11-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't think it's really possible to overrate the guy.

Britton
11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
It's not. Think about it. Most of those guys that could "Beat him"
would not even be playing guitar if it were not for Hendrix. And they know
that.

I'm sendin it out as a winrar file. so if you don't have it you might wanna go get
it.

Anyone got anything rare?

Britton
11-10-2005, 12:08 AM
It's gonna have to come tommarow

I'll also send out Live at Woodstock since I was asked about that one as well

Britton

-The Frank
11-10-2005, 04:14 AM
A white supremecist I know wrote me this email:

"I'm a huge fan of rock music, but I think Jimmy Hendrix is over-rated".

Thoughts?

he is overated as a guitarist but imo as a musician he is way underated

Juventus
11-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Surely a guitarist should be first and foremost a musician.

Hendrix was great because he used the guitar to create truly beautiful music. I don't care how fast or complex a piece you can play, if it isn't beautiful you're just wasting my time.

Chris_lpp
11-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Everyone thinks guitarists are like sprinters.

You have to be fast

And the best is always who comes first!

No way, nothing like this at all.

Its like saying which genre is better? Jazz or blues? 6 billion people and 6 billion different answers i guess

Cal_on_drums
11-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Surely a guitarist should be first and foremost a musician.

Hendrix was great because he used the guitar to create truly beautiful music. I don't care how fast or complex a piece you can play, if it isn't beautiful you're just wasting my time.

Exactly! Hendrix had the emotion behind the music. It's about the feeling you put in the guitar instead of how complicated it is.
He could make his guitar sing so beautifully.

naut
11-10-2005, 12:05 PM
he definitely gets overrated, except on sites like this. on mx, its cool to hate on him because, "petrucci can play so much faster," or "he couldnt keep up with guitarists nowadays."

all true statements but it keeps hendrix from getting the credit he should.

those statements are absolutely ridiculous, not to mention, out of context.

"gee Achilles was a good fighter but he couldn't keep up with soldiers nowadays lolz."

:rolleyes:

naut
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
he is overated as a guitarist but imo as a musician he is way underated

a guitarist IS a musician. i'm tired of people trying to make some sort of nonexistent distinction between the two. guitarists, along with all other instrumentalists/vocalists, make MUSIC, plain and simple. if people weren't so damn analytical we wouldn't have such retarded arguments.

"uh he wasn't that good at guitar but he made good music."

what?!

yeah, i know this chef...he makes good food but can't cook very well.

makes sense huh?

Britton
11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm confused...A musician is someone who plays more then one instrament

At least that's what I thought.

all of you that wanted FROTNRS are also gonna be getting Live at woodstock
to make up for all the time it's taken me to get these up for you

magicbus
11-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Can I get those? magicbus587 @ gmail.com

Thanks.

Britton
11-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Yep no problem dude.

I really want lots f people to get these cause YSI is being retareded...I'd
rather my time not be wasted

Chris_lpp
11-10-2005, 01:00 PM
I seen kids sayin they find it too hard to play hendrix, THIS IS BECAUSE HE PLAYED MORE THAN ONE NOTE ONE STRING AT A TIME...when i first heard him i thought it was all sloppy and unmusical (with untrained ears) but then i heard his more popular songs.

lightningmetal666
11-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Amen.

Right here man.

lightningmetal666@yahoo.com

We all could use a little more Jimi in our lives.:thumb:

Dried Muffin Remnants
11-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Hendrix was not technically gifted nor a virtuoso, but the most original and unique musicians of all time. Second to him is Paganini

He may be sloppy at times, but he is definitely technically gifted and a virtuoso. You need to listen to more of his stuff...especially his improv/jazz-esque stuff.

lightningmetal666
11-10-2005, 01:09 PM
a guitarist IS a musician. i'm tired of people trying to make some sort of nonexistent distinction between the two. guitarists, along with all other instrumentalists/vocalists, make MUSIC, plain and simple. if people weren't so damn analytical we wouldn't have such retarded arguments.

what?!

makes sense huh?

Here, I'll clarify the difference between musician and a hobbyist for you guys.

A musician is someone that has a strong love for music. So much so that it becomes part of his soul (if you believe in such a thing) He dedicates his life to the study of it and is the guy that is always on time to rehearsals and gigs. Even if he can't play worth a damn he is always there trying to learn something new and do things in music that had never been done before.

A hobbyist is the guy that got an instrument for christmas or for a birthday and kinda banged around on it but never got that intense devotion for it. He just plays around and acts like he's cool but really isn't. They are the biggest flakes and are guaranteed to never make it even on the local level.

Hope that clarified it some.

Britton
11-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Here, I'll clarify the difference between musician and a hobbyist for you guys.

A musician is someone that has a strong love for music. So much so that it becomes part of his soul (if you believe in such a thing) He dedicates his life to the study of it and is the guy that is always on time to rehearsals and gigs. Even if he can't play worth a damn he is always there trying to learn something new and do things in music that had never been done before.

A hobbyist is the guy that got an instrument for christmas or for a birthday and kinda banged around on it but never got that intense devotion for it. He just plays around and acts like he's cool but really isn't. They are the biggest flakes and are guaranteed to never make it even on the local level.

A little

I have to run so you guys enjoy that album. It's all sent out for yea

naut
11-10-2005, 01:18 PM

i see.

relevance?

lightningmetal666
11-10-2005, 01:18 PM
A little

I have to run so you guys enjoy that album. It's all sent out for yea

1 quick question. I'm trying to play the intro to Voodoo child (slight return) and I normally rock the wah on every 1/4 beat. Someone said I had to rock it on every note that I play. Is this true? Thanx for the info

Gotta go to work. :wave:

naut
11-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm confused...A musician is someone who plays more then one instrament

oh i see. i only play bass. i guess i'm not a musician.

lightningmetal666
11-10-2005, 01:22 PM
oh i see. i only play bass. i guess i'm not a musician.

I made my rant because ppl were saying how Jimi sucks at guitar but makes great music and somehow that degenerated into a discussion of what makes a musician. I was trying to clarify that without being biased and it applies to all instruments and it isn't about how many you can play but how well you can play with the one that you do have.

PinkFreud
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
those statements are absolutely ridiculous, not to mention, out of context.

"gee Achilles was a good fighter but he couldn't keep up with soldiers nowadays lolz."

:rolleyes:
i don't know if youre agreeing with me or not....

naut
11-10-2005, 01:25 PM
neither really. i wasn't picking on you, but i also didn't really understand you saying "all true statements." i mean, the statements you were calling true are just so irrelevant...

PinkFreud
11-10-2005, 01:27 PM
neither really. i wasn't picking on you, but i also didn't really understand you saying "all true statements." i mean, the statements you were calling true are just so irrlevent...
oh, i was kind of saying the same as you, but agreeing with the statements some people come up with during hendrix discussions here. like, no he could not shred, but who cares?

naut
11-10-2005, 05:51 PM
exactly.

talo
11-10-2005, 06:35 PM

what?!

makes sense huh?

:lol:

I can microwave some GREAT food but that does not mean that I can cook well.

Hendrix was a fabulous guitar player, but TECHNICALLY speaking, he was not as advanced as those today. That doesn't mean he wasn't as good of a musician.

naut
11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I can microwave some GREAT food but that does not mean that I can cook well.

well, chefs don't microwave food.;)

Hendrix was a fabulous guitar player, but TECHNICALLY speaking, he was not as advanced as those today. That doesn't mean he wasn't as good of a musician.

obviously you didn't understand any of my analogies. basically, what you're saying is just as stupid as saying: "gee, the cars of the 60's and 70's don't have the ability of cars today."

NO SHIT.

and yet, with all the innovations and new techniqes of today, his music is still considered unparalled. obviously such a statement resides upon personal opinion, but many people would agree.

seriously, what you're trying to suggest makes absolutely no sense.

Britton
11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
1 quick question. I'm trying to play the intro to Voodoo child (slight return) and I normally rock the wah on every 1/4 beat. Someone said I had to rock it on every note that I play. Is this true? Thanx for the info

Gotta go to work. :wave:

I just do it how I feel like doing it. I think Hendrix did it about every 1/4
but he played around with it too.

I'm working on woodstock

Doctor Night
11-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Did JH use Single Pickup Strats.

PinkFreud
11-11-2005, 11:52 AM
single coils? yes, but he also used gibsons once in while. the strats are what he was known for, though.

magicbus
11-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Yea he most famous for the Strats he used, but he also playing an SG and a Flying V.

Doctor Night
11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I know, I know but that'w what he used when he recorded his best songs, amirite?

PinkFreud
11-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Yea he most famous for the Strats he used, but he also playing an SG and a Flying V.
ive seen a les paul too.

but yes, he recorded mostly with the strat.

Britton
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Yea he had a beautiull goldtop.

but yes he pretty much always used strats

mono12
11-11-2005, 03:18 PM

what?!

makes sense huh?

i think what he means is that he was good at writing songs but he wasn't technically brilliant.

in your words, like a chef that can invent really tasty dishes but isn't the best at cooking them.

but this argument is stupid and it should stop.

Britton
11-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes it should.

Did ya'll get those CD's?

Time
11-11-2005, 04:10 PM
live at the fillmore east is a good dvd if anyone wants to know

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:12 PM
I hate the camres on that!

also some of the berkly stuff is pretty bad

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:13 PM
single coils? yes, but he also used gibsons once in while. the strats are what he was known for, though.

Yea, he's a single coil guy for the most part. Most of the live stuff I've seen is all strat, except yea there's a flying v here or there. I've never seen an SG, but I have seen a les paul.

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I want to get a 1968 strat

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I want to get a 1968 strat

I do too, minus the whole flipping everything. I'm a righty

man Brit, we're everywhere tonight.

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Hell yes we are!

I want it with all the specs of the woodstock strat

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds good, just to have it? I wouldn't mind that a bit. maybe I'd start learning it as a lefty... that'd be interesting.

NP: Castles Made of Sand

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I would play it too...but theres something about that white!

It just looks so cool

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I would play it too...but theres something about that white!

It just looks so cool

Have you seen the DVD Woodstock? I hear it's really interesting, but it's gotten mixed reviews from all sorts of people I know. I digged up my dad's old records and found the Woodstock album and listened to Jimi like all day

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey do you want the cd? I have YSI links leftover

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey do you want the cd? I have YSI links leftover

I'd love it! Are the links too old though

Brewer14
11-11-2005, 04:35 PM
NP- Voodoo Chile

such an awesome song

I hate how everyone tries to say Jimi "sucks and is underrated", when if it wasn't for him music wouldn't be the same.

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I'd love it! Are the links too old though

I still have you're email. I'll send em on over

Doctor Night
11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
NP- Voodoo Chile

such an awesome song

I hate how everyone tries to say Jimi "sucks and is underrated", when if it wasn't for him music wouldn't be the same.

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is so annoying.

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:42 PM
How can you say that?

Joe
11-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) is so annoying.

:lol: You're serious??? I love that song! It got me into hendrix

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-Fender-Stratocaster-Hendrix-Custom-Shop-68-69-60s_W0QQitemZ7365716032QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Doctor Night
:lol: You're serious??? I love that song! It got me into hendrix

I love Voodoo Chile, but the slight return it just bugs me.

Joe
Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-Fender-Stratocaster-Hendrix-Custom-Shop-68-69-60s_W0QQitemZ7365716032QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are you serious do you have that money? Buy it!

Britton
11-11-2005, 04:53 PM
I wish I had that money!

But I need a amp at the moment

Joe
11-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Oh ok.

I'm not sure how many people in here will know, but does anyone have the Digitech Jimi Hendrix wah pedal? Does anyone like it?

Britton
11-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't have it. I've heard it's nice though.

I'm gonna get a vox 100 valvetronix!

Joe
11-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Those are awesome amps.

I already have the Dunlop Hendrix wah and I like it a lot. It's got great range (when the batteries are alive... I need more power adapters before that gig in 3 weeks). The Digitech Hendrix (and Clapton) I've heard good things about.

It's surprising to me. Recently I've seen tons of Hendrix shirts and sweatshirts all over school.

Britton
11-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Really? that's funny

I really like the Valvetronix it's got good distortion and cleans and it's loud
like a mother. I have 3 Hendrix shirts. My drummer spent the night at my house
and had to wear one of my shirts..and he got lots of compliments for it..whats
up with that?

Joe
11-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I have a hendrix shirt that my girlfriend bought me except I felt bad because I could never wear it because it was two sizes too small...

My drummer spent the night at my house
and had to wear one of my shirts..and he got lots of compliments for it..whats
up with that?

Is he better looking? That always seems to work :upset:

Britton
11-11-2005, 05:18 PM
No were about the same...it's just that I was over in the corner with my gal
and he was stnding there talking to everyone...hence the reason why they saw it

did those YSI files work for you>

Doctor Night
11-12-2005, 03:18 AM
I have a hendrix shirt that my girlfriend bought me except I felt bad because I could never wear it because it was two sizes too small...

I saw one in town the other day htat had the 'Axis: Bold as Love' cover on it. I didn't have enough money to buy it however.

-The Frank
11-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Oh ok.

I'm not sure how many people in here will know, but does anyone have the Digitech Jimi Hendrix wah pedal? Does anyone like it?
i was actually considering buying one for my guitar the other day, but alas i am broke.

Doctor Night
11-12-2005, 03:25 AM
i was actually considering buying one for my guitar the other day, but alas i am broke.

I have actually had the chance to play on one of them. It gets really quite addictive, especially when you have the wammy bar on as well.

-The Frank
11-12-2005, 03:29 AM
what would you give it on a scale from 1-10, also, is it worth the money?

Doctor Night
11-12-2005, 03:39 AM
what would you give it on a scale from 1-10, also, is it worth the money?

I'd give it 7 or 8. But it is s little expensive. Don't go run out and buy one just cos i said it was good, however.

mono12
11-12-2005, 04:35 AM
i want a wah. how much are the JH ones? how does it compare to the Jim Dunlop crybaby which is about £60+

EDIT: Yay 100th post

Doctor Night
11-12-2005, 04:51 PM
i want a wah. how much are the JH ones? how does it compare to the Jim Dunlop crybaby which is about 60+

EDIT: Yay 100th post

They're over a hundred.

Britton
11-12-2005, 06:44 PM
This one is nice

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNPJH1FW

-The Frank
11-12-2005, 10:25 PM
This one is nice

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNPJH1FW
Thats pretty nice, but, i like having the purple colour on it :p

Doctor Night
11-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Thats pretty nice, but, i like having the purple colour on it :p

Definatly, looks really trippy.

PremierManiac
11-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Oh ok.

My rhythm guitarist has it, it's quite brittle. He had to fix it a few times but sounds great when it's working.

Doctor Night
11-13-2005, 03:40 PM
My rhythm guitarist has it, it's quite brittle. He had to fix it a few times but sounds great when it's working.

When I was in SoundControl once, this guy started playing 'Purple Haze' using the wah pedal thing, It sounded awesome.

Which makes me think. What do you reckon is the best Hendrix Solo. I always liked the one from 'Vilanova Junction'.

robo2448
11-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm a sucker for Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower. But if you're counting live stuff... Machine Gun has to win.

Britton
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm a sucker for Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower. But if you're counting live stuff... Machine Gun has to win.

Yep

but there are so many

mx Bass player
11-14-2005, 02:25 AM
Greatest cover song of all time...
...Talking Heads - Take Me To The River. :D

But in all seriousness, Hendrix is an awesome guitarist. Not the best technically, but without a doubt the greatest guitarist of all time.

who is the best then?

-The Frank
11-14-2005, 02:31 AM
who is the best then?

there is no best

you cant just judge a player by how fast he can play.

lightningmetal666
11-14-2005, 02:30 PM
there is no best

Exactly. If you were to do that then possibly Yngwie or EVH.

But as far as heart and soul goes, Jimi's got them beat.

Ibanez Slayer
11-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Exactly. If you were to do that then possibly Yngwie or EVH.

But as far as heart and soul goes, Jimi's got them beat.
exactly, but you forgot someone for the speed matter, paul gilbert and steve vai. Vai has become one of my favorites (behind jimi ofcourse) but IMO i think that Vai has almost as much soul as hendrix, and better speed and theory

lightningmetal666
11-14-2005, 02:37 PM
exactly, but you forgot someone for the speed matter, paul gilbert and steve vai. Vai has become one of my favorites (behind jimi ofcourse) but IMO i think that Vai has almost as much soul as hendrix, and better speed and theory

You do have a point there.

Vai is a huge Jimi hendrix fan and loves to play sh*t like Red House.

And yeah SV and PG can both really shred. I'm just saying that Jimi knows how to take a simple delay or chorus or octavia and make rock anthems with them. SV has his moments but nothing nearly as magical as Jimi.

Ibanez Slayer
11-14-2005, 02:48 PM
You do have a point there.

Vai is a huge Jimi hendrix fan and loves to play sh*t like Red House.

And yeah SV and PG can both really shred. I'm just saying that Jimi knows how to take a simple delay or chorus or octavia and make rock anthems with them. SV has his moments but nothing nearly as magical as Jimi.
Aye, it was jimi that started me on guitar

Britton
11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Jimi started me and about five million other people on guitar too.

Nobody else in music history can say that

mx Bass player
11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
there is no best

did i say that? all im askin is who he thought was best.

lightningmetal666
11-14-2005, 07:57 PM
did i say that? all im askin is who he thought was best.

Best is in the eye of the beholder and the key to all flame fests

so sayeth the mx confucious

Britton
11-15-2005, 01:48 AM
Yes please stop with the "Best" conversation's

So what were ya'lls favorite songs from those albums I uploaded for you?

lightningmetal666
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes please stop with the "Best" conversation's

So what were ya'lls favorite songs from those albums I uploaded for you?

Sorry but haven't had time to listen to it. I feel bad, but I work a lot.

Plus between my music classes and my band I'm swamped.:upset:

I will try to give it a listen on my break though.