PDA

View Full Version : Customdrumsticks

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 12:32 AM
Still trying to perfect the idea of customdrumsticks and I think getting better at it...It's difficult doing this under the radar of the big manufacturers...Can't use the same dowel suppliers cuz it's all one big family...So I make my own dowels...As far as I know I'm the only one in the world that does this...Making my own versions of the big guys and selling them for the lowest price with graphics...I believe I'm writing the book...Just thought I'd wave my own flag after years of supporting MX Tabs (Formerly the Realm)

Check it out customdrumsticks.com

puppet.master
10-31-2005, 12:35 AM
how do you sound match them and match them for wieght
?

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 12:54 AM
?

^^^

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 12:55 AM
? After meeting Vic Firth (a number of times) and my wife's cousin is his handyman, I'm disillusioned with pitch pairing...He used to have a kid matching the sticks by banging the whole shaft on a side ways tombstone and then he got a mic and a computer and everyone had to do it...then you see in the music store the carefully pulled out of their boxes mismatched and people tapping them by the tip to match...(which has a different tone then the way they were matched in the first place...

I basically try and use the same board for each customer and the weight comes out consistant...I normally use medium to heavy boards for making sticks (or at least that's what I pick out...)Sometimes I have real light boards that go to a few who like punky drumsticks and save them for them...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 12:57 AM
when you say punky drumsticks, i see you have the virus and the unsung zeros on your pictures... thats pretty impressive dude. i might order a pair just to see what theyre like.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:00 AM
when you say punky drumsticks, i see you have the virus and the unsung zeros on your pictures... thats pretty impressive dude. i might order a pair just to see what theyre like.

There are quite a few touring punk bands, but what I mean is very light hollow dry wood...:) The Virus seems to have driven right off the road their last drummer is in a new band Clit 45 Also make sticks for 7Seconds, the Briggs etc..

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:04 AM
There are quite a few touring punk bands, but what I mean is very light hollow dry wood...:) The Virus seems to have driven right off the road their last drummer is in a new band Clit 45 Also make sticks for 7Seconds, the Briggs etc..

clit45 is def. not a new band, but a new band for him, i see what you're saying:) .. what do you mean driven right off the road, im confused? haha, 7sec's and the briggs, i think i love you now.

reply dammit... the suspense is killing me!!!

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:12 AM
They went off the road in Idaho...Whenever the drummer tours in Boston (the Briggs), I pick him up and he makes his own sticks...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:17 AM
They went off the road in Idaho...Whenever the drummer tours in Boston (the Briggs), I pick him up and he makes his own sticks...

do you have aim, or anything along those lines, something more... instant messenger? i promise i wont stalk you, im just a young fan who is interested in being a loyal customer now... lol.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
My IM is constantly crashing everything so I don't have one...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:21 AM
do you endorse?

out of curiosity.

edit: sure, i totally understand if you dont want to talk in a more instant setting. i see how it is. jk.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Don't really have an endorsement program really in place...

puppet.master
10-31-2005, 01:27 AM
im assuming it would be kinda hard to endorse with prices that low

i guarante i will be buying some sticks as soon as im not in debt with my parents or maybe ask for some for christmas

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:30 AM
im going to order 3 pairs off of you really soon. as soon as i break the current sticks i have (i just bought a big *** pack of vaters), but ive got to try your sticks out... get something custom, should be nice.

my name's steve, btw, i play in a local florida punk band, the panix (www.myspace.com/panixmusic). and im whoring my band to you.

welcome to the forum?

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Greetings Steve! I've been pushing this forum for at least, well since it started...Just haven't been on it much

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:35 AM
im assuming it would be kinda hard to endorse with prices that low

i guarante i will be buying some sticks as soon as im not in debt with my parents or maybe ask for some for christmas Cool Thanks! Look forward to it!

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:35 AM
i used to be a huge mxtabber... then i found out what a forum was. and mxtabs updated and i cant find my way around like i used to be able too. i sound like an old man, jeez.

edit: in that post before, i meant being an endorser... id rather buy sticks from you... you're stuff is better priced than when GC has sales every weekend.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Technology really changes fast...This is my third computer since MX Tabs started...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:41 AM
this is my first personal (not family), that i actually worked for... so im pretty happy. pretty decent for recording aswell. :-D

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 01:55 AM
anyway, thats an awesome company you've got going main, im definately going to order a pair or three (or more:p ) from you sometime in the near future!

im going to bed,
cya.

Bone
10-31-2005, 03:00 AM
Hmrf...

Well you know, I gotta be honest. You could possibly make a quality product. But let me break it down for you from a professional perspective.

I didn't get to find out much about your product. Because your website sucks such incredible balls.

Seriouslly. How can I take you seriouslly in producing a product, when about the cheapest, most cost effective and really easiest thing to do - It's just shot.

If you can't even get a decent website going, how can I expect you to produce an actual product?

Tripod? You can get webhosting for like $5/month now. The biggest, greatest and FREE interface you have from your business to the public is so horrible. Obviouslly the business is not taken seriouslly if the most basic elements (PR) isn't even being handled.

Now I might have thought about ordering some sticks from you. Except.. theres NO INFORMATION!!!!

Sizing? Weights? Notta.

Come on man. I like to support the small guys, but if you obviouslly aren't serious about the business....

Besides.. I really wouldn't worry about the big stick companies knowing who you are. You aren't even a viable market threat.

You couldn't spend the money for a decent website. You think a major stick company is going to feel threatend by that?

I'm somebody who goes through a 100+ pairs a year easy. While your prices come pretty close to what VF gives me. The utter unprofessionalism I'm bombarded with from the company is laughable.

crolfe1
10-31-2005, 03:34 AM
^^^ Some people are better stick makers then they are web designers. You have to start somewhere and his website, although it could use some help, is that start.

I'm glad to hear you poor technique casues you to break 100+ pairs a year. Pick your battles man, this was a bit uncalled for. I hope flaming this entrepreneur boosts your stick breaking ego.

Tim
10-31-2005, 03:36 AM
im not tryin to rain on your parade or anything i think its great you have your own stick company but after what Osirix X did i dont think youll get much business from the Mxers. you might get some but thanks to Osirix you cant really trust anyone with a "their own company" thing on here anymore.

Bone
10-31-2005, 04:00 AM
I'm glad to hear you poor technique casues you to break 100+ pairs a year. Pick your battles man, this was a bit uncalled for. I hope flaming this entrepreneur boosts your stick breaking ego.

Uh.. No. It's not poor technique. And I didn't say breaking sticks. I said going through them. It's playing live son. There is a difference. I have a pair in hands, 3 pairs in the stick holder and another 4 in a bag near by for shows.

I play more then 100 gigs a year easy. If I blew through a pair a gig that'd be 100... but I don't. I play more, I practice more and I have rehersals. Not to mention I chuck sticks long before they break.

Notice how you jumped to that conclusion? That's because some of us actually play drums. Sticks get worn, they get out of balence, start sounding funny, get annoying vibrations, etc.. They simply are thrown away and a new pair picked up.

Take a gander through your next issue of ModernDrummer or whatever your choice of drum mags are. Look at the pictures of guys playing live, there rigs and such.. you'll notice large amounts of the same stick hanging off a drum or stand near by.

Some of us actually play drums.. really play them. And gosh.. it's really true, guys who play live, they go through sticks.

Like most guitarist I know, they change strings long before the break. Drumsticks are about the same thing.

Besides the fact. Your major, most acsess able and FREE interface for your company to billions of people might actually be important. And paying a few hundred or even a thousand bucks to have a decent website put up would be a major, cost justifiable business descision.

You wouldn't eat a resturant if it looked like crap, it's a reflection of the business. Just like a website is.

I'm not flaming the guy. I'm giving my honest opinion on it. Most, if not all, business and marketing people would agree with what I've said.

If you can not make the effort to convey a professional business like image to potential customers. Then you do not have much of a business.

playwithfire
10-31-2005, 04:52 AM
I'm not flaming the guy. I'm giving my honest opinion on it. Most, if not all, business and marketing people would agree with what I've said.

If you can not make the effort to convey a professional business like image to potential customers. Then you do not have much of a business....He's right. I'm a marketing major, and if you want to get information out there... you want to take advantage of a website, like Bone says. It's cheap, if not free, and this generation, it's so readily accessible that there's no reason not to have a great website.

And this is something you don't have to be a business-owner or marketer to know about... this is pretty much common sense for even the most basic entrepreneur.

Damo
10-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Although I dont disagree with you on some points Bone, the savageness with which you attacked jrsticks is absolutely disgraceful!

I (and many others on this forum) play as many shows and practise just as much as you do. Jrsticks is attempting to offer the drumming community a new slant on drumstick manufacturing - which ultimately results in greater choice for both professionals and amateurs.

Jrsticks has said himself he is "Still trying to perfect the idea of custom drumsticks", so it wouldnt be in his best interests to hit hard with the promotional side of things when the product requires further refinement. Just ask the Mapex of 10 years ago what its like to come out, all guns blazing, and have a product that wasnt up to standard.

I for one wish jrsticks all the best with his product.

Actually jrsticks - are you familiar with the Australian company 'Balanced' drumsticks, who also do custom sticks?

daveplaysdrums
10-31-2005, 06:01 AM
Damn, I wish that company were in england... A pair of cost up to £9 over here

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 06:21 AM
I remember...someone didn't like my web page...I do pay a host (tripod) and they have been my page for years since at least 97 I recommend them...My ability to make a web page pretty certainly is questionable, but it seems to do the dishes and it is always changing...And I send a fair amount of sticks to U.K. Have to send 3 orders today...And Yes, I have heard of the Custom Stick Company In Australia...I think it's great and it is also nice to offer something that is native to Australia...maybe break the choke of U.S. Manufacturers...

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 06:42 AM
The Web addy for balanced sticks is http://www.balanceddrumsticks.com/
I believe it was founded by a gentleman using native woods, but now it seems there are different people running the show and they are at least using Hickory still...The sticks are $21.00 AUD and you can get them personalised through a dealer...

xeonman9000
10-31-2005, 06:52 AM
That's awesome man, three pairs of your sticks cost about as much as one pair over here in the UK.
With the website, I would resize your image files, you're not only wasting bandwidth, but also slowing my computer down and dial up users would be quite put off. Also, a top or side menu would be better for navigation, seeing as your already using frames, this would be easy to do. Good luck.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 07:01 AM
That's awesome man, three pairs of your sticks cost about as much as one pair over here in the UK.
With the website, I would resize your image files, you're not only wasting bandwidth, but also slowing my computer down and dial up users would be quite put off. Also, a top or side menu would be better for navigation, seeing as your already using frames, this would be easy to do. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestions...Will at least work on resizing images...Have to figure other stuff out...Well time to make the drumsticks...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
jeez, you could atleast try the product out before you go flaming. you act like the site determines quality.. if i works for him, then thats great, if you dont like it, dont order sticks from him.

personally, im going to try them out, and see what theyre like. getting 3 pairs of sticks at just about the same price of one pair with my name on them is pretty sweet to me.

Bone
10-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Although I dont disagree with you on some points Bone, the savageness with which you attacked jrsticks is absolutely disgraceful!

I (and many others on this forum) play as many shows and practise just as much as you do. Jrsticks is attempting to offer the drumming community a new slant on drumstick manufacturing - which ultimately results in greater choice for both professionals and amateurs.

Jrsticks has said himself he is "Still trying to perfect the idea of custom drumsticks", so it wouldnt be in his best interests to hit hard with the promotional side of things when the product requires further refinement. Just ask the Mapex of 10 years ago what its like to come out, all guns blazing, and have a product that wasnt up to standard.

I for one wish jrsticks all the best with his product.

Actually jrsticks - are you familiar with the Australian company 'Balanced' drumsticks, who also do custom sticks?

Tha may be true. However I have a previous history with 'customdrumsticks.com' . It's not a new company by any means.

Around Feb/March of 2003 myself and another prominate drummer in a slightly different area attempted to purchase sticks from customdrumsticks.com for bands we were playing in at the time. After many communications back and forth, settled on specs and prices and told they would be made and given an order time. We've still yet to recieve anything.. so far a few weeks order time has been almost 3 years.

Both my friend and I still have copies of the emails and such. We do occasionally joke about when our sticks will be made.

Perhaps he failed to mention he's growing the tree's to make the sticks first....

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 11:39 AM
well, you could of mentioned that in your origional post.

Bone
10-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Where's the fun in that?

Ironically enough both my friend and myself moved to another newer (though larger) stick company at the time wich unfortunately is no more.

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 11:45 AM
capella?

edit: i think i got the name right... not sure.

Bone
10-31-2005, 11:48 AM
No, though Cappella makes some cool stuff. They are currently still in business.

http://www.cappelladrumsticks.com/

It was the other 'JR' sticks.

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 11:52 AM
how many jr sticks r there.

Dunmore
10-31-2005, 05:05 PM
You might have an order for 8 pairs of 5A's comin from me soon too, i need some good consitent sticks for cheaper than the 15 bucks a pop i pay for Signature Pearts at L&M here, which suck cuz i love those sticks

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
i want to get a pair with my bands logo and my sig on them.. thats gonna be sexy... ive never known a time when i was waiting for my sticks to break to get new ones. :-P

Bone
10-31-2005, 06:05 PM
You might have an order for 8 pairs of 5A's comin from me soon too, i need some good consitent sticks for cheaper than the 15 bucks a pop i pay for Signature Pearts at L&M here, which suck cuz i love those sticks

Buy in bulk.

jrsticks
10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
That is a problem leaving the two of you out there with nothing but emails...I sometimes have gotten loaded up with tons of emails and things can get lost in the shuffle...Again, trying to still figure out a lot of stuff even after almost 9 years of being on the internet...

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 06:43 PM
maybe its the bunny, but i trust you.

Undisco Kidd
10-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Those are awesome, although, in my whole drumming life, I've broken not a single pair of sticks.

fatcow2000
10-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Those are awesome, although, in my whole drumming life, I've broken not a single pair of sticks.

those?

jrsticks
11-01-2005, 01:49 AM
on the other hand, drummers sometimes think I make the sticks first and then get paid, while because of the nature of customness, I have to get paid first...So I think that some wait and wait...

larsROCKS
11-01-2005, 04:30 AM
well im right behind you, will you ship to Australia?

Bone
11-01-2005, 04:35 AM
on the other hand, drummers sometimes think I make the sticks first and then get paid, while because of the nature of customness, I have to get paid first...So I think that some wait and wait...

That's crap. A company been in bussines that long and you don't have the finances to produce orders with at least a down payment?

Come on.

You ain't the first person coming on these forums selling a custom product asking for money upfront. And the last guy who did that has pissed off a few people...

playwithfire
11-01-2005, 04:43 AM
^Bone's being nice, a "few" is an understatement. Personally, until I have the finished product or service, I find it unreasonable to lay down the full amount of cash. In most cases, once the business has the cash, you aren't a priority. Look at carpentry, when you're renovating and having new things installed and whatnot, if you pay upfront, you often find a crapass job gets done, and you call the company for them to make it more perfect but you're stuck in for a long wait, whereas if they don't have the full payment, they work their asses off to make the full amount.

Bone
11-01-2005, 04:53 AM
Well you know, I dunno the history.. I just saw the thread lookin for osiris.

Non the less, I agree 100%. It's a business. You sell a product. UNless you run the most absurdly bad finances, you shouldn't need the money from the order to make the order. That's just totally retarded.

jrsticks
11-01-2005, 05:29 AM
well im right behind you, will you ship to Australia?I do...I charge $5.25 AUD... and shipping....I believe you have to plunk down money first for Vic Firth 9 players models and 3 fonts again because they are personalised

PMSKnives
11-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Can one go into a GC and make a payment on a pair of sticks and then go home and play w/them and come back the following week and pay the balance?

I don't take money up front for making knives. I have never done that, or a down payment...BUT, since I had a customer string me along for almost 2 years on a knife I made for him and he never paid me for it, that will all change. I was being a nice guy to him because I knew him/felt for him and his situation. Until the day he showed me a tattoo that he got and I asked him how much. He told me the figure and it was exactly what he owed me for the knife. He has since given me $25 towards it...I am selling it now...No refund. If he wants another knife I will tell him the $25 will go towards it and I want the balance in full before I start the project...

Mark

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
the idea doesnt really float my boat, they just seem like sticks to me, but i wish you the best luck in your business.

on a local note, id rather dine at a restaraunt with a poor appearance (and i do) with good food rather than dine at some big shot restaraunt with mediorcre food. just food for thought :D

fatcow2000
11-01-2005, 02:20 PM
id rather dine at a nice restaurant with nice food... but w.e.

PandaDrummer
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
dude ill be your web designer, if your an accual place, and if so then mabey ill buy some sticks, if you want me to show you some stuff I can do so you don't feel like you'd get ripped off you can email me sometime and i'll whip something up for ya!

caleb2000@academicplanet.com

fatcow2000
11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
score.

aznriceball
11-02-2005, 12:04 AM
id rather dine at a nice restaurant with nice food... but w.e.

well i guess ur gonna starve then :D

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
dude ill be your web designer, if your an accual place, and if so then mabey ill buy some sticks, if you want me to show you some stuff I can do so you don't feel like you'd get ripped off you can email me sometime and i'll whip something up for ya!

caleb2000@academicplanet.com

Thanks! Have to concentrate on getting stuff out for the moment... Here it's 1:09 AM and I'm starting the day...

aznriceball
11-02-2005, 12:11 AM
since u have no way to guarantee ur product, it seems a bit cocky to demand full payment upgront with nothing such as ebay/paypal protection to protect the buyer.

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Actually there is paypal protection...

aznriceball
11-02-2005, 12:39 AM
the highest level of paypal protection is through ebay. the rest of it is rather difficult and less effective. do u have an ebay store?

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 12:40 AM
So is the cost!

aznriceball
11-02-2005, 12:42 AM
So is the cost!

its late, so i dont really follow. u mean there is less cost? seems like pennies to me

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 12:48 AM
More for auctioning plus paypal fees to seller...

PMSKnives
11-02-2005, 06:36 AM
If you have CC protection and that is what PAYPAL is charging purchases to, you have that protection. No product, call CC company and they will charge purveyor and credit your account....What ever happened to trust? If Jeff has satisfied customers and GOOD testimonials, what the hell is the problem? I just ordered 3 pair w/custom signature....I sure hope I get them..ha ha ha..

Thanks Jeff...Let me know when they ship please/any related tracking info...

Mark

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks Mark! I received payment! Still juggling stuff and will add to the list of things to send...I am looking forward to making my own version!

CDelle
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, the sticks look nice and it would be cool to have my name on them but I'll wait until someone here can verify that they've received their sticks before I order anything.

jrsticks
11-02-2005, 12:19 PM
When somebody say "Besides.. I really wouldn't worry about the big stick companies knowing who you are. You aren't even a viable market threat."

Apparently I am...

Just got pushed around in two places...and my possible partner was threatened to lose his supply of raw materials if he sold inexpensive sticks...Now he feels he has to back out...

fatcow2000
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
If you have CC protection and that is what PAYPAL is charging purchases to, you have that protection. No product, call CC company and they will charge purveyor and credit your account....What ever happened to trust? If Jeff has satisfied customers and GOOD testimonials, what the hell is the problem? I just ordered 3 pair w/custom signature....I sure hope I get them..ha ha ha..

Thanks Jeff...Let me know when they ship please/any related tracking info...

Mark

tell us how it goes... youre the verification, buddy.

PMSKnives
11-03-2005, 07:01 AM
I'll let you all know....

Jeff, anticipated shipping date? Also, would you be willing to turn sticks from exotic blanks that I have/could get? Woods like Blood Wood, Wenge, Zebra Wood, Bubinga????

Thanks
Mark

jrsticks
11-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I'll let you all know....

Jeff, anticipated shipping date? Also, would you be willing to turn sticks from exotic blanks that I have/could get? Woods like Blood Wood, Wenge, Zebra Wood, Bubinga????

Thanks
Mark Possibly, but ebony for example can split very easily, Zebra wood is very light for a stick, each has it's drawbacks....Searching for my P Mark 2B or have to get another...(have to make a tool from one...)I am behind by about 3 weeks, but I have some help now, so we'll see...

PMSKnives
11-04-2005, 06:47 AM
Is your turn around always that long? If so, if I like the sticks, next time will build in that large time frame and do a large order...

Thanks
Mark

Ma Cherie
11-04-2005, 07:45 AM
id paint mine with designs my drummer likes(as i use my hands for the exotic precussions,dijimbe, and congas, ect..)

Talos
11-04-2005, 09:23 AM

Nor have I but my friend wanted a go on my kit and broke my customs:angry::upset: They were freeking awesome, like zildjian half dips but the grip bit was in the shape of flames with band logo printed over and over all the way around. It also had my signature cut into the wood. I cant get anymore either because it was a relative that made them for me, i'd bring him a plain stick and he'd do it. Unfortunately he has now gone:upset:

Anyway, jrsticks would you be able to that for me? Also, how much would they be?

Nice one mate

jrsticks
11-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Is your turn around always that long? If so, if I like the sticks, next time will build in that large time frame and do a large order...

Thanks
MarkIt's still varying the time...

jrsticks
11-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Nor have I but my friend wanted a go on my kit and broke my customs:angry::upset: They were freeking awesome, like zildjian half dips but the grip bit was in the shape of flames with band logo printed over and over all the way around. It also had my signature cut into the wood. I cant get anymore either because it was a relative that made them for me, i'd bring him a plain stick and he'd do it. Unfortunately he has now gone:upset:

Anyway, jrsticks would you be able to that for me? Also, how much would they be?

Nice one mateI am still experimenting with what I can do with the stuff I have...I can't cut names in though...