PDA

View Full Version : The Animals

Glitterati
10-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Oh man....great band. One of the more underrated groups of the '60s British Invasion, an English blues band. I was introduced to them via "House Of The Rising Sun" a while back, and since then I've been hooked. That's a great song, too, btw.

Any other fans?

Jacaranda
10-30-2005, 10:29 PM
The reason they are underrated is cause more then 3/4 of their songs are covers of someone else's songs. But all in all I love Eric Burdon's voice and my favorite song is the Story of Bo Diddley or Baby Let Me Take You Home.

Ned
10-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Well, "The House of the Rising Sun" is a very old folk song. Dylan sang it on his first album. (Neither of these renditions are "covers", by the way. That isn't what "cover" means.) The problem with The Animals's version is that Eric chickens out and switches the sex of the protagonist which turns the lyric into nonsense. I saw The Animals two or three years ago. The keyboardist doubled on violin and was pretty good, but Eric lost his voice before he'd finished the first tune--and continued undaunted.

robo2448
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
I love The Animals. If Eric Burdon could write songs, they would have been an amazing band. Burdon wrote a couple good songs like Sky Pilot, but for the most part the Animals only played cover songs. Still, even with virtually no songwriting talent, The Animals were very good. They were around for a really short time too, which also hurt them. In my mind, if Burdon could write songs and they stayed together longer, they could have been like the Doors or The Rolling Stones. Alan Price was a really great organist and The Animals were very talented. House of the Rising Sun is an amazing song, I set my alarm to wake up to that song every single morning. Bring It On Home To Me is another one of my favorites. Great band.

Broken Arrow
10-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah, good band. All I have is the Greatist Hits but thats al I need.

CantBuyAThrill
10-31-2005, 04:47 PM
I think I preferred "Eric Burdon Declares War" to his work with the Animals, actually. Though alot of the Animals' stuff was good. I really need to listen to more of the Burdon-related stuff.

rockinbass17
10-31-2005, 08:00 PM
I saw them in August at the B.B. King Bar and Grill. I thought it was a great show. (Though I'm sure most of the instrumentalists weren't origianal members). But they played well, very interesting jams. And Burdon's vioce wasn't bad at all. In fact, I thought he sang very strongly.

Satan Claus
10-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I am still amazed by Hilton Valentine's guitar solo on "See See Rider". Dan Forte in GUITAR PLAYER magazine called it the gnarliest solo ever. Valentine gets a great raunchy tone out of his axe and at one point just thrashes this one note over and over again as if he were trying to squeeze as much as he could out of it. If I could ever do something like that I would be more than satisfied.

odd rocker
11-01-2005, 11:40 AM
saw them a year or two ago, truly class performance, we gotta get out of this place, would have to be my favourite, dont know if its a cover though

The_Passenger
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
All I've heard by them is "House Of The Rising Sun" and to be honest, if I ever hear anythign about them, that song is normally the main point of discussion. The song was pretty cool, so they're a band on the long list of "Bands I need to check out".

Woodstock
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I have nothing by them, and it kills me every time I think of it. They're such a great band.

thickasabrick
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Eric Burdon did too many drugs to be a decent songwriter, but other than that I really like the band. I actually haven't heard too much of them, only about a dozen songs or so.

Relmar
11-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I friggin love the animals. They are like a blend of Beatles and Dylan.

Ned
11-20-2005, 01:01 AM
I saw them in August at the B.B. King Bar and Grill. I thought it was a great show. (Though I'm sure most of the instrumentalists weren't origianal members). But they played well, very interesting jams. And Burdon's vioce wasn't bad at all. In fact, I thought he sang very strongly.

Maybe it had been well rested on this occasion. I saw them at an outdoor festival, and I left after a few tunes to catch another act so I didn't get to hear how ravaged Eric's must have been by the time he'd finished his set. I can't even imagine. Where is the B. B. King Bar and Grill?

rockinbass17
11-20-2005, 09:35 AM
^ 42nd Street and 7th Ave. It's a fairly small venue, and I couldn't imagine how the same set would sound at an outdoor festival. That explains alot.

LedZeppFan83
11-21-2005, 03:40 PM
- I really like the song "House Of The Rising Sun" by them. It's a classic.

robo2448
11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
^ 42nd Street and 7th Ave. It's a fairly small venue, and I couldn't imagine how the same set would sound at an outdoor festival. That explains alot.

B.B. King's club always has awesome bands performing there but the prices are ridiculous whenever I look into buying tickets.

np- We Gotta Get Out of this Place