PDA

View Full Version : Ahead sticks!

blujelly
10-30-2005, 01:25 PM
My mate luke has a pair, but after like 2 weeks of playing with them his wrist really started to hurt, so he had to wear one wrist cast things! But his mum said the reason why is that she thinks "that when he hits the drums its rickashades(how ever you spell it) of the stick and down into his wrist" Is this because he kept hitting the rim or something else?

BlindWriting
10-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah. Aheads. Hah.

MeaninglessPhoto
10-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Its because hes using ****tyass sticks. Thats why.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 01:30 PM
lol dude... aheads "dont break" so the vibration is probably worse in them, especially fast vibrations like when u rim shot. lol rim shot...

wood sticks take 'a lot' of vibration.

just think about **** sensibly, and dont buy aheads.

blujelly
10-30-2005, 01:31 PM
I didnt buy them my mate luke did hehe

ThugsRook
10-30-2005, 02:10 PM
lol dude... aheads "dont break" so the vibration is probably worse in them, especially fast vibrations like when u rim shot. lol rim shot...

wood sticks take 'a lot' of vibration.

just think about **** sensibly, and dont buy aheads.
what truely makes me sick, is the (pro) drummers that endorse this cr@p :evil:

Massik Kretal
10-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Aheads hurt and suck.

billdrum
10-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Here we go again.......

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 02:36 PM

well lets see... the people who endorse them... tommy lee, has anyone seen tommy lee goes to college, and his drumline skills.. i dont do drumline, so my opinion shudnt be too relevant, but he is pretty ****ty. (back me up anyone), lars ulrich... enough said (personally), joey jordison, good drummer, i think he like them because theyre all black, and he can afford to pay for new cymbals, and a broken wrist or two.

maybe?

edit: Thugsrock, which part of FL are u at? im in hollywood, the deep south. not miami deep, and not ft. lauderdale north... somewhere in between

rhythmically retarded
10-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I swear the people on this website all act like 12 year olds. Ahead sticks DO suck, very much, but imo only because they don't have the right fulcrum and feel like wood sticks, the are actually easier on the wrist, and if your friend hurt his wrist it is more than likely a problem with technique. And the whole cymbal breaking thing, I saw the letter from ahead denying that, and if that isn't enough to convince you that they aren't bad for cymbals then do the unthinkable: send a bloody letter to whichever cymbals company and [I]ask[I]. *gasp* Oh how dare someone suggest actually doing something other than flaming people with different opinions. Go make your own through experience instead of just jumping in with all the other sheep.

blujelly
10-30-2005, 03:16 PM
alright i was just asking

DxRocker
10-30-2005, 03:26 PM
OK, when I saw this topic, I swore to stay out of it, but after reading the post of (rightfully named) "rhytmically retarded"... I'm gonna rip it apart :D

I swear the people on this website all act like 12 year olds.
Consider yourself part of those people...

Ahead sticks DO suck, very much, but imo only because they don't have the right fulcrum and feel like wood sticks, the are actually easier on the wrist, and if your friend hurt his wrist it is more than likely a problem with technique.
Right, it has absolutely nothing to do with playing rimshots with a metal mini-baseball bat at all...

And the whole cymbal breaking thing, I saw the letter from ahead denying that
Yes, because when I would own that company and a dude send me letter asking if using my sticks would break their cymbals, I would say "yeah, I wouldn't recommend playing with the sticks that I produce, sell and earn a lot of money with... :rolleyes:

Several people on here send Ahead a mail asking about this. Guess, what... that letter you read is a STANDARD reply letter. They have a default reply READY to be send everytime someone asks about this. Sit down and think for a second why that is the case...

and if that isn't enough to convince you that they aren't bad for cymbals then do the unthinkable: send a bloody letter to whichever cymbals company and [I]ask[I].
Newsflash: as a brand, you cannot officially announce that using a certain other brand will ruin your own brand (advertising is a complicated world). Second, the big three already "hinted" on several occasions that playing with these metal brackets are to be considered "excessive playing", wich voids the warranty on the cymbals...

Go make your own through experience instead of just jumping in with all the other sheep.
Have you ever considered that these opinions actually ARE based on personal experiences of several players???
That's like saying "It's not at all dangerous to drive after you drank a whole keg of beer. Instead of buying into like sheep, try it out yourself, you'll see"

Some people are really idiots...

rhythmically retarded
10-30-2005, 03:29 PM
That's fine, I already knew that by showing a different opinion I was just going to get flamed.

DxRocker
10-30-2005, 03:35 PM
That wasn't even an opinion. That was just a load of crap.

You have to realise that a lot of beginning players who don't have a clue read these forums. Don't feed them bullshit.

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 03:38 PM
they just suck. they feel like crap, and its hard on your gear...and they cost a fortune.

dont waste your time with em.

Massik Kretal
10-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Also when I was little I remember playing baseball with a wooden bat and it was fine. Then I go to the batting cages and play with a metal bad and I can hardly hold the damn thing when I hit the ball. The vibration is killer.

Same with drumsticks.

Trev
10-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Tell your friend to get rid of his cheapy Aheads and buy THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Drumsticks-Ahead-LASER-Drumsticks-with-real-laser_W0QQitemZ7323241546QQcategoryZ10173QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem).

I can't think of a better way to spend £150.

DxRocker
10-30-2005, 03:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

that's just awesome hahaha

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 03:53 PM
That's fine, I already knew that by showing a different opinion I was just going to get flamed.

buddy, my old singer used my set once with ahead sticks, hes like "they cant break" im like, **** i shud get some... two days later my z customs and my old b8's are cracked in two or three different spots... i hadnt played them those days... so it wasnt my "****ty" technique. it was the ****in sticks and my old singers ****ty technique. kay

edit: im sorry for cursing like a sailor... but aheads ran me back a good 600+ dollars.

raz0r
10-30-2005, 03:53 PM
That wasn't even an opinion. That was just a load of crap.

You have to realise that a lot of beginning players who don't have a clue read these forums. Don't feed them bullshit.

Quoted for the truth

Rushki Smushki
10-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Aheads.

They've somewhat become the Kurt Cobain of D'n'P.

God Bless 'em. :smash:

/salutes

STRETCH
10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
ive had aheads for almost 3 months now and not one cymbol broken

oh yeah, THERE ARE NO VIBRATIONS AT ALL!!!OK;)

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 04:09 PM
ive had aheads for almost 3 months now and not one cymbol broken

oh yeah, THERE ARE NO VIBRATIONS AT ALL!!!OK;)

STRETCH
10-30-2005, 04:13 PM
whats that supposed to mean:confused:

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
whats that supposed to mean:confused:

it means, use ahead sticks. theyre good for you.:thumb:

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Come on man didn't you read the last ahead thread... Tommy Lees cymbal breakage was reduced by 75% when he switched!

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
Tell your friend to get rid of his cheapy Aheads and buy THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Drumsticks-Ahead-LASER-Drumsticks-with-real-laser_W0QQitemZ7323241546QQcategoryZ10173QQtcZphot oQQcmdZViewItem).

I can't think of a better way to spend 150.
The ONLY reason I would buy those if I were a big rock star and I wanted to do a stick twirl while the lights were low and like a psycadellic guitar solo was going on, I wouldn't use them to play of course, just to twirl

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
The ONLY reason I would buy those if I were a big rock star and I wanted to do a stick twirl while the lights were low and like a psycadellic guitar solo was going on, I wouldn't use them to play of course, just to twirl

sure you wouldn't.

GooseFilms.net
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm with rhythmically retarded on this one. I believe there are a few bad qualities to aheads, but for the most part, most of the people here blindly follow the opinions of DBJ, Ken, Josiah, Damo. Taking advice from drummers who know what they're talking about is fine, but what I see far too often is the application of that opinion to bogus claims.

lol dude... aheads "dont break" so the vibration is probably worse in them, especially fast vibrations like when u rim shot.
On the packages, it specifically says not to play rimshots, because the sticks will break.

Second, the big three already "hinted" on several occasions that playing with these metal brackets are to be considered "excessive playing", wich voids the warranty on the cymbals...
Where, specifically do they hint to this? Don't take this as belligerence, I'm honestly curious.

And also, all sticks are capable of breaking cymbals. Not to say that Aheads may be a little more capable, but it's also not to say that if you use them your cymbals will break. No matter what you say, it comes down to how you hit the cymbal. Aheads don't kill cymbals, people kill cymbals.

I'm not in any way recommending Aheads here. All I'm saying is that rather than jumping on the bandwagon and shelling out useless hearsay (the worst are the posts consisting merely of "Don't use them, Aheads SUCK!"), stop and think for a second.

In my opinion, the guys hands began to hurt because metal does vibrate with greater ease than wood, which is better support than "because hes using ****tyass sticks."

RushHourSoul
10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I actually tried them at my local store, they had horrible balance and feel. Wood is much better IMO.

Aaron
10-30-2005, 05:20 PM
just close this thread.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm with rhythmically retarded on this one. I believe there are a few bad qualities to aheads, but for the most part, most of the people here blindly follow the opinions of DBJ, Ken, Josiah, Damo. Taking advice from drummers who know what they're talking about is fine, but what I see far too often is the application of that opinion to bogus claims.

On the packages, it specifically says not to play rimshots, because the sticks will break.

Where, specifically do they hint to this? Don't take this as belligerence, I'm honestly curious.

And also, all sticks are capable of breaking cymbals. Not to say that Aheads may be a little more capable, but it's also not to say that if you use them your cymbals will break. No matter what you say, it comes down to how you hit the cymbal. Aheads don't kill cymbals, people kill cymbals.

I'm not in any way recommending Aheads here. All I'm saying is that rather than jumping on the bandwagon and shelling out useless hearsay (the worst are the posts consisting merely of "Don't use them, Aheads SUCK!"), stop and think for a second.

In my opinion, the guys hands began to hurt because metal does vibrate with greater ease than wood, which is better support than "because hes using ****tyass sticks."

yep, lets just not play rimshots. all of us... all of you drummers who have read this, no more playing rimshots. okay?

GooseFilms.net
10-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Wanna quote where I said that drummers need to stop using rimshots?

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Wanna quote where I said that drummers need to stop using rimshots?

no.