PDA

View Full Version : I need the professional opinion of shell experts!

Loyton
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Here's the deal, drum by drum-

9x13 early 70s concert tom conversion. 3 ply clear interior, mini classic lugs. New Gibraltar 2.3 mil hoops. Recut bearing edges. Coated ambassador on top, clear on bottom.

12x15 early 70s parade tenor. 3 ply clear interior, mini classic lugs. New Gibralter 2.3 mil hoops and floor tom brackets. Recut bearing edges. Coated ambassador on top, clear on bottom.

14x16 early 70s concert tom conversion. 3 ply clear interior, mini classic lugs. New Gibralter 2.3 mil hoops and floor tom brackets. Recut bearing edges. Coated ambassador on top, clear on bottom

16x22 mid 80s virgin bass drum. Thick monster 80s maple/poplar shell. Four massive curved spurs. One spur has chrome issues (see photo). The interior of this shell is outstanding. One of the best I've ever seen. The claws are original Ludwigs rechromed by RCI Vistalite. They look brand new! The hoops are new 10 ply maple. It has new Aquarian heads, clear Superkick on the batter and a black Regulator with a mic hole (factory) in the front with a vintage 70s style Ludwig logo.

If im looking to buy this, would they sound good? heres the link to the ebay auction. Everything else (the sizes, the finish, everything) appeals GREATLY to me. This was pretty much exactly what i was looking for. Now i need to know if they will sound great or good or not so great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7361893772&indexURL=2#ebayphotohosting

Thanks ahead of time for the help! Hopefully ill bring these babys home. (if youall concur)

The Ska Man
10-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I reckon they'ed sound nice. Not sure about that BD, though..

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 02:22 PM
they look pretty good... reminds me of a jon bonham set some guy plays on drummerworld.com

Loyton
10-30-2005, 02:23 PM
they look pretty good... reminds me of a jon bonham set some guy plays on drummerworld.com

Thats what came to mind here to.... absolutly lovely snare there, that alone still goes for 400$ on ebay. Not to mention everything else is perfect. I just needa know for sure if the drums ll satisfy!

-edit

Never thought id get the chance to own one till several mroe years down the road....supraphonic that is. Best sounding snare ive heard.

Dunmore
10-30-2005, 02:27 PM
Da mn the bass drum would weigh a ton!! but they seem to have a really good job doen on them, and they look sexy, id go for it id only go up to like 750 in your bidding though!

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 02:28 PM
those bassdrum spurs a f-ing insane. i would buy that kit and just keep it as a collector, but im young and poor.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Da mn the bass drum would weigh a ton!! but they seem to have a really good job doen on them, and they look sexy, id go for it id only go up to like 750 in your bidding though!

Id do the buy it now if i did anything. Still waiting for the opinion of DBJ ken josiah damo etc.

Bone
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
I wouldn't spend $1,000 on that.

But for, current bid price, $400. That would be a decent deal.

For $1,000 or so you could have conaway build you an identical looking kit (if you wish) that would be using 100% maple shells, be brand new, no issues what so ever and most likely sound a lot better.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't spend $1,000 on that.

But for, current bid price, $400. That would be a decent deal.

For $1,000 or so you could have conaway build you an identical looking kit (if you wish) that would be using 100% maple shells, be brand new, no issues what so ever and most likely sound a lot better.

Ive been down the keller route and it kicked my ass. But i seriously dout you could get a supraphonic and that finish for 1000$ on the conaway build?

Bone
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
The finish wouldn't effect the price. It's a very simple sparkle laq, or a wrap of the same look would be much cheaper. For 3 toms and a kick, you're lookin at under a grand from dave. You could look into other companies as well, mid lines kits, etc.. You can get a PDP kit, wich are amazing kits for the money, in that range. Or sonor, mapex, yamaha. All of those choices will sound much better, be brand new and so forth.

As far as the kit in question on ebay. I'd personally just dismiss it. Looking through the photo's etc, it's not a "Ludwig Vintage" kit. I would say the value of the drums (minus the snare) is around $300-400. Even then I wouldn't personally bother, I like drums that are solidly built and sound great. Esspeccially considering it's a blind buy... very risky. They could sound horrible.

New Supra's go for around $300+ new. So for a used Supra, I'd say 250 or so depending on the condition.

That's basically the breakdown. Up to you.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 03:00 PM
The finish wouldn't effect the price. It's a very simple sparkle laq, or a wrap of the same look would be much cheaper. For 3 toms and a kick, you're lookin at under a grand from dave. You could look into other companies as well, mid lines kits, etc.. You can get a PDP kit, wich are amazing kits for the money, in that range. Or sonor, mapex, yamaha. All of those choices will sound much better, be brand new and so forth.

As far as the kit in question on ebay. I'd personally just dismiss it. Looking through the photo's etc, it's not a "Ludwig Vintage" kit. I would say the value of the drums (minus the snare) is around $300-400. Even then I wouldn't personally bother, I like drums that are solidly built and sound great. Esspeccially considering it's a blind buy... very risky. They could sound horrible.

New Supra's go for around $300+ new. So for a used Supra, I'd say 250 or so depending on the condition.

That's basically the breakdown. Up to you.

Well, i hope your happy, you just effectively talked me out of getting it.:lol:

From how you post around here i can tell you know what your talking about, so thanks for filling me in. As far as those other brands go, the custom set would be very attractive if not my bad experince with keller shells. I had it all planned out, got a custom kit from amdrums.com and put it togetor. It looked great, i had brand new nice heads, I just didnt like the sound. AT ALL. Espically the snare RAUNCHY awful overtones. So i ended up using my friends pdp LX instead of my custom keller! How embarresing! So i need somthing that can rape sound wise. After all thats what i care most about, because im going to do recording before gigging/promotion.

edit-Would you mind trying to convince me conaway is alot better than amdrums? Did i just get shoddy shells? I couldnt really return them cause i drilled vent holes in them and did a natural finish. Thanks bone

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 03:11 PM
u went from kellar to a LX... u just mind-****ed me... im sorry...

maybe you didnt have them tuned properly...

u know wat, get the toms and bassdrum from conaway, and get a supraphonic... i mean, that seems resonable...

just get what you want, honestly. if you get something your hearts set on, youll love it.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 03:19 PM
u went from kellar to a LX... u just mind-****ed me... im sorry...

maybe you didnt have them tuned properly...

u know wat, get the toms and bassdrum from conaway, and get a supraphonic... i mean, that seems resonable...

just get what you want, honestly. if you get something your hearts set on, youll love it.

I am very good at tuning. Both drums (the keller and LX) had the same heads resonant and batter side, and the LX was just plain BETTER. I must have retuned the snare 20 times before i decided it was the drum not me. Ive tuned many kits and many snares.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 03:39 PM
hmmm, i dunno then... get wat makes u happy:)

Bone
10-30-2005, 04:00 PM
edit-Would you mind trying to convince me conaway is alot better than amdrums? Did i just get shoddy shells? I couldnt really return them cause i drilled vent holes in them and did a natural finish. Thanks bone

Well I'm not making a profit, so what you buy makes no difference to me. But I am very passionate about my instrument and like to see others be so as well. It's easier to practice, play and generally want to drum more if you have equipment you are 100% satisfied with.

As to your problem with the previous keller shelled fun. It's really hard to say, so many factors go into a drums sound during the construction of them. PLus the fact that when working with any organic substance, such as wood, there is always a degree of unpredicatablity in the final product.

That's genearlly why people buy from the known, major companies. It costs more, but it's a assured quality product. The drums don't leave the factory sounding bad, and if by chance a drum comes out sounding bad, it's generally thrown out or used for displays and such (think the sawed in half DW kits you see on the walls at GC).

As far as being worried about quality sound being produced from drums you may order from conaway. Dave's a great guy, give him a call, explain your previous problems and concerns about the kit not sounding good. I'm sure he'd be more then happy to talk to you about that stuff. Besides I'm sure he tunes his drums up and gives em a few hits before they leave just for giggles and customer satisfaction.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Well I'm not making a profit, so what you buy makes no difference to me. But I am very passionate about my instrument and like to see others be so as well. It's easier to practice, play and generally want to drum more if you have equipment you are 100% satisfied with.

As to your problem with the previous keller shelled fun. It's really hard to say, so many factors go into a drums sound during the construction of them. PLus the fact that when working with any organic substance, such as wood, there is always a degree of unpredicatablity in the final product.

That's genearlly why people buy from the known, major companies. It costs more, but it's a assured quality product. The drums don't leave the factory sounding bad, and if by chance a drum comes out sounding bad, it's generally thrown out or used for displays and such (think the sawed in half DW kits you see on the walls at GC).

As far as being worried about quality sound being produced from drums you may order from conaway. Dave's a great guy, give him a call, explain your previous problems and concerns about the kit not sounding good. I'm sure he'd be more then happy to talk to you about that stuff. Besides I'm sure he tunes his drums up and gives em a few hits before they leave just for giggles and customer satisfaction.

Sounds like a great idea, i agree with you 100%. I to am very dedicated to percussion. (Marching as well) So yea, after i get nessary funds ill give him a call. Cant hurt at all.

BTW i got a little sidetracked reading the shitfest about blastbeats. Quite entertaining.

The Ska Man
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
u went from kellar to a LX... u just mind-****ed me.

Dude, I'm usually the last one to stand up for DW, but their shells owninize Keller's.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Dude, I'm usually the last one to stand up for DW, but their shells owninize Keller's.

this is gonna sound dumb, but i thought all the major drum companies used kellar? or is it all custom drum companies only...

so, obviously DW drums stuff isnt just kellar, its made on site.?

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 06:43 PM
No more then 400 bucks mabey 500. I wouldnt bid any higher then that.

Bone
10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
this is gonna sound dumb, but i thought all the major drum companies used kellar? or is it all custom drum companies only...

No.

DW, Yamaha, Sonor, Premier, Pearl, Tama, Ayotte, Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland, RMV, Mapex... I can think of just off the top of my head make their own shells.

DW used to use keller about a decade ago.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
No.

DW, Yamaha, Sonor, Premier, Pearl, Tama, Ayotte, Gretsch, Ludwig, Slingerland, RMV, Mapex... I can think of just off the top of my head make their own shells.

DW used to use keller about a decade ago.

ok, so its just the custom companies.. i see, it all makes sense now.

The Ska Man
10-30-2005, 06:56 PM

Most custom companies make their own. And most drum companies make their own as well.

Bone
10-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Most custom companies make their own.

That's hard to say. Enough of them don't that I'd make sure one way or the other.

Most the custom companies talked about on here do use Keller. (Conaway, OCDP, Truth, Phattie, Pork Pie, etc).

poppinfresh
10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
so did you get everything including edges and drilling done at amdrumparts.com because i was planning on ordering stuff and going with that deal that says they will do everything for you. but i guess il have to get a few more opinions first.

i dont know if slingerland makes their own shells now since they were bought out by gibson and they probably dont care about it anymore.

and i think rmv uses keller shells.

why dont you just replace a few shells loyton? Have you contacted them?

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 07:40 PM
rmv uses brazilian maple (Bapeva) shells... not made by kellar. kellar doesnt sound that good.

Bone
10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Correct. RMV makes awesome drums.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Correct. RMV makes awesome drums.

:thumb: thats what im using. i want to change the snare though, to the purple heart 6 1/2 x14 they make... its beautiful.

im using the origional concept series that they reviewed in modern drummer, they have a bunch of other sweet *** series now, but im happy. im old school like that.

i want to read a review on their hardware, especially the double bass pedal theyre making now, looks totally different to anything ive seen.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 08:34 PM
so did you get everything including edges and drilling done at amdrumparts.com because i was planning on ordering stuff and going with that deal that says they will do everything for you. but i guess il have to get a few more opinions first.

i dont know if slingerland makes their own shells now since they were bought out by gibson and they probably dont care about it anymore.

and i think rmv uses keller shells.

why dont you just replace a few shells loyton? Have you contacted them?

Yea well i couldnt really refund because i drilled vent holes myself and did a natural finish myself. Other than that they did the drilling and edges and everything. I dont want to tell you bad things, but i really didnt like the way they sounded. Espically the snare.