PDA

View Full Version : Soundtracks and Musicals

asdf
10-30-2005, 09:49 AM
What are some excellent soundtracks to movies, or some great musicals that you just love?

I was inspired to make this thread because on friday and saturday I went to see Rocky Horror in theaters. I've been doing that around halloween for a few years now, and I've always liked that movie a lot. But not until this week did I realize how great the songs actually are. The catchy factor is amazing. I could listen to most of them without the movie.

Another movie that I love, that I'm not sure if it's considered a musical or what, is the commitments. Irish Soul. Excellent movie that I grew up watching and listening to the music from.

Zappa
10-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I am very much into movie music. Here are some of favorites:

Taxi Driver
Donnie Darko
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
A Clockwork Orange
The Last Temptation of Christ
Vertigo
Blade Runner

Jacaranda
10-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Other then the ones Zappa mentioned I like:

The Nightmare Before Christmas
Pulp Fiction
Natrual Born Killers
Fantasia

conspiracy_rocker3
10-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I love the work of both Ennio Moricone and Joe Hisaishi.

Favorite Moricone:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
Cinema Paradiso
The Legend of 1900
Malena
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More

Favorite Hisaishi:
Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
Kikujiro
Sonatine
Hana-Bi
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle

robo2448
10-30-2005, 10:48 AM
I love the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Different stuff than what I usually listen to, but I enjoy it a lot. High Fidelity and Blues Brothers have excellent soundtracks as well and haven't been mentioned. Actually I listened to the Blues Brothers soundtrack this morning. Rawhide :cool:

i2 enegade
10-30-2005, 10:58 AM
i find Guy Ritchie movies tend to have good soundtracks

Snatch
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrells

Killtacular
10-30-2005, 12:17 PM
As bad as the movie was, I think I quite enjoyed the music in Doom. Dunno if it's on the soundtrack though, seeing as it's a mindless action movie and they tend to have lots of hXc metal on it that have nothing to do with the movie.

Kurtz
10-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Favorite movie themes:

The Godfather, Part II
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Cape Fear

Daniel!
10-30-2005, 03:00 PM
i find Guy Ritchie movies tend to have good soundtracks

Snatch
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrells

Yessssss.

Bartender
10-30-2005, 04:38 PM
The Nightmare Before Christmas

One of my very favourite albums.

I like film scores and such, but my knowledge of specifics is somewhat limited due to my preference for buying rather than downloading.

LifeIsDandy
10-30-2005, 08:40 PM
The Rocky Horror Picture show is quite amazing, I'll agree. I also really enjoy the Grease soundtrack, definatly one of my all time favorites.

OrbDragon
10-31-2005, 04:53 AM
The soundtrack for Amelie is amazing.

talk show host
10-31-2005, 05:41 AM
The soundtrack for Amelie is amazing.

yes, yes it is.

also:

Taxi Driver
Shawshank Redemption
The Big Lebowski

ehh..I've run dry.

Badmoon
10-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Reservoir Dogs
Buena Vista Social Club
Catch me if you Can
Do the Right Thing
The Harder They Come
Signs

Dreww
10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Everything dealing with The Godfather music is good.

Strumpeband
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
What are some excellent soundtracks to movies, or some great musicals that you just love?

I was inspired to make this thread because on friday and saturday I went to see Rocky Horror in theaters. I've been doing that around halloween for a few years now, and I've always liked that movie a lot. But not until this week did I realize how great the songs actually are. The catchy factor is amazing. I could listen to most of them without the movie.

Another movie that I love, that I'm not sure if it's considered a musical or what, is the commitments. Irish Soul. Excellent movie that I grew up watching and listening to the music from.

Chess
West side Story
Jesus Christ Superstar, and virtually anything every written by Lloyd Webber :)
Sunset Boulevard by Marvin Hamlisch (though I haven't heard much of it)

Google is a great tool. Try to get the names of the big producers, like for instance Hamlisch and Andrew Lloyd Webber, and check out their productions. They contain some of the finest vocal music ever written, in my opinion.

Dreww
10-31-2005, 11:21 AM
Lloyd Webber is indeed very good. The best JCSS is the one with Ian Gillian.

Badmoon
10-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Jesus Christ Superstar

Yeah :thumb:

Tjebby
10-31-2005, 09:43 PM
Wicked is a great musical. Also, I like Rent.

The_Riddler
11-01-2005, 03:19 AM
I never got into Soundtracks until my girlfriend showed me a few and I thought to myself "Why the hell haven't I bought any movie soundtracks before?"

My favorite are SO FAR

Donnie Darko- I have really only seen the movie once all the way through. I loved the music that played though. I hope to buy the soundtrack whenever I find it. MANY great songs on that album.

American Beauty- Another great movie, the music is brilliant though and really peaceful. At least from the songs I remember. I need to buy that soundtrack also.

ToMsK
11-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Lock Stock
Snatch
Pulp Fiction

dUSK
11-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Bump.

I have a song on my laptop that is supposedly the 'Freedom Ballad' from the film Braveheart. Anyone know who the artist is that created it?

Zion Gates
11-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Rockers, The Harder They Come, Pulp Fiction, SLC Punks, Spinal Tap

pot
11-16-2005, 02:52 AM
i really like the movie spiderman 2 and the notebook and others. the music form the OC is the BEST

Leukeh
11-16-2005, 04:26 AM
rocky horrow show (im just a sweet transvestite!) & the resident evil soundtrack/s

Delay Pedal Boy
11-16-2005, 05:42 PM
anyone like Hermann's original scores?

Zappa
11-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I named a couple Herrmann works up in my list. He's the greatest.

Glitterati
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Pulp Fiction

Dick Dale :)

SabeR
11-18-2005, 11:20 AM
i personally love a whole bunch of soundtracks, from games and movies... here are a few

The Secret Garden
The Piano
GLadiator
LOTR
Pirates of the Carribean
Titanic
Anastasia
Beauty and the Beast
Troy
Halo :D
Monkey Island
Age of Empires series
Spiderman
A Beautiful Mind
Spirit (lol)
!!Phantom of the Opera!!

and so much more that i wont name :P

Ned
11-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Lloyd Webber is indeed very good. The best JCSS is the one with Ian Gillian. I agree with the second sentence and strongly disagree with the first. Lloyd Webber is trite, heavy-handed, schlocky, and derivative. Jesus Christ, Superstar: The Cm, Bb, Ab, G Spanish cliche vamp in "Why Should I Die" is inadvertantly hilarious. "We want you to sleep well tonight" is "Take Five" except that "Take Five" is not so crude as to make its ostinato rhythm its melody rhythm as well. The idea of a messianic rock opera (and rock opera, not Broadway musical, is what Jesus Christ, Superstar originally was) was taken directly from the Who's Tommy. The main riff from Phantom of the Opera (which in general owes a great debt to Sweeney Todd) was taken directly from Pink Floyd's "Echoes".

No, the only post-sixties Broadway composer and lyricist of any account is Stephen Sondheim, and Sondheim is so damn good he also dwarfs all the pre-sixties Broadway composers and lyricists, which is really saying something.

Ned
11-19-2005, 02:14 AM
There are many film scores I like. One in particular that happens to come to mind is Philip Glass's for the nineties adaptation of Joseph Conrad's Secret Agent. (A much earlier Hitchcock adaptation of the same brilliant novel is ghastly--very inept, that is.)

Relmar
11-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I thought Excalibur and Gladiator were outstanding soundtracks.

Anything by John Williams (composer) too.

sgreen6
11-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Bump.

I have a song on my laptop that is supposedly the 'Freedom Ballad' from the film Braveheart. Anyone know who the artist is that created it?
James Horner did the score to Braveheart. It's a great score.

I thought Excalibur and Gladiator were outstanding soundtracks.

Anything by John Williams (composer) too.
Yeah, Zimmer was amazing with Gladiator.

Good to see a Williams fan again. A lot of people enjoy bashing the hell out of him nowadays. I love his work, my self.

As for my stuff, I like orchestral scores. Film music is fascinating, because it allows you to be so manipulative of the audience. Studying the hows and whys of film music has handed me a lot of knowledge about music in general, and continues to do so. Some of my favourites include:

Shore's LOTR series.

Zimmer's "Tears of the Sun" and "The last Samurai".

Elfman's work on "Beetlejuice", "Batman"/"Batman Returns", "Spiderman",
and "Edward Scissorhands".

Alan Silvestri's score for "Van Helsing". Terrible movie, great score.

James Horner's "Braveheart", "Enemey at the Gates", and "Alien".

John Williams' "Harry Potter"(all of them), all of the "Star Wars", especially ep.4&5, "Jaws", all of the "Indiana Jones" series, and "Saving Private Ryan".

And one that I've been listening to non-stop lately is Harry Gregson-Williams' work on "Kingdom of Heaven". The score is beautiful, works perfectly with the movie. The movie was excellent as well.

Glitterati
11-19-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't know who does it, but I watched Psycho yesterday and there was this really cool string section in the opening credits. Anyone know who does that?

Deathbox
11-19-2005, 08:53 PM
As bad as the movie was, I think I quite enjoyed the music in Doom. Dunno if it's on the soundtrack though, seeing as it's a mindless action movie and they tend to have lots of hXc metal on it that have nothing to do with the movie.

Agreed, listening to the soundtrack (score) right now... Interesting stuff, first movie score I have ever listened to...

Also, on a side note, the theme for Terminator 2 rocks hard :thumb:

Brain Toad
11-20-2005, 01:34 AM
A Clockwork Orange - Probably the best movie soundtrack I've ever heard
Small Soldiers - It's interesting to hear older songs given a new twist with added rap and R&B vocals
Swing Kids - Wonderful score mixed with really good swing tracks
Star Wars (all of them) - What is there to be said?

SabeR
11-22-2005, 01:07 PM
James Horner did the score to Braveheart. It's a great score.

Yeah, Zimmer was amazing with Gladiator.

Good to see a Williams fan again. A lot of people enjoy bashing the hell out of him nowadays. I love his work, my self.

As for my stuff, I like orchestral scores. Film music is fascinating, because it allows you to be so manipulative of the audience. Studying the hows and whys of film music has handed me a lot of knowledge about music in general, and continues to do so. Some of my favourites include:

Shore's LOTR series.

Zimmer's "Tears of the Sun" and "The last Samurai".

Elfman's work on "Beetlejuice", "Batman"/"Batman Returns", "Spiderman",
and "Edward Scissorhands".

Alan Silvestri's score for "Van Helsing". Terrible movie, great score.

James Horner's "Braveheart", "Enemey at the Gates", and "Alien".

John Williams' "Harry Potter"(all of them), all of the "Star Wars", especially ep.4&5, "Jaws", all of the "Indiana Jones" series, and "Saving Private Ryan".

And one that I've been listening to non-stop lately is Harry Gregson-Williams' work on "Kingdom of Heaven". The score is beautiful, works perfectly with the movie. The movie was excellent as well.

um my thoughts exactly!!

SaxyFROgirl
11-22-2005, 03:59 PM
definitely
John Williams stuff is great, I've always enjoyed listening to one of his soundtracks
I like Danny Elfman too, it's very distinctive
Other favourites of mine include:
Lord of the Rings (all 3, but if I had to choose I'd say Fellowship)
Harry Potter
Schindler's List
JCS
Joseph
Phantom
the Wiz (although I'm biased because I've done the show)
Chicago
Mamma Mia (I know, I know)
Gladiator
Troy
Sound of Music
Moulin Rouge (both soundtracks)
Finding Neverland
Pirates of the Caribbean
lots of Disney, including Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback, Little Mermaid, Mulan, Cinderella, many more

I haven't heard Kingdom of Heaven yet, but I'd really like honest opinions on it- any good?

(LOKI)
11-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Donnie Darko
Interview With The Vampire
The Pianist

SaxyFROgirl
11-25-2005, 09:49 PM
I am currently very much enjoying the soundtrack to Rent, the movie...haven't seen it yet, but the music is awesome

Lady Lex
11-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I love Michael Nyman for Peter Greenaway: soundtracks to Thief, Cook Wife and her Lover, The Tempest.. heaps of brilliant stuff

And (prepare for onslaught)

XANADU!!!!!!

*sigh

ani_starkiller
11-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Danny Elfman is good, but needs to be shot for the Nightmare Before Christmas

Lady Lex
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM
hey - was Danny in anyway involved with the Simpsons?

Music Man
11-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Many of the James Bond movies have had excellent theme songs.

*The James Bond Theme
* From Russia With Love
* Goldfinger
* Thunderball
* You Only Live Twice
* On Her Majesty's Secret Service
* We Have All The Time In The World
* Diamonds Are Forever
* Live and Let Die
* The Man With The Golden Gun
* Nobody Does It Better
* Moonraker
* For Your Eyes Only
* All-Time High
* A View to a Kill
* The Living Daylights
* License to Kill
* Goldeneye
* Tomorrow Never Dies
* The World is Not Enough
* Die Another Day

Lady Lex
11-30-2005, 12:20 AM
I LOVE anime tunes too!

Ghost in the Machine stands out for me.

ani_starkiller
11-30-2005, 01:10 AM
hey - was Danny in anyway involved with the Simpsons?

Ya... he did actually did the simpsons theme song

Eyepatched
11-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Dunno if anyone here ever played Metal Gear Solid but i recently got myself one of there limited edition soundtracks for it and its Brutally appealing

Bartender
11-30-2005, 06:00 AM
Danny Elfman is good, but needs to be shot for the Nightmare Before Christmas

But that'd be like shooting Henry Kissinger for negotiating the ceasefire in Vietnam. Or shooting Christopher Lloyd for Back to the Future.

ani_starkiller
11-30-2005, 10:45 PM
But that'd be like shooting Henry Kissinger for negotiating the ceasefire in Vietnam. Or shooting Christopher Lloyd for Back to the Future.

uhh... i don't get it

all i know is that musically the Nightmare Before Xmas soundtrack sux

morrissey
11-30-2005, 10:47 PM
I really, really like Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat plus most of the things mentioned in this thread.

morrissey
11-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Many of the James Bond movies have had excellent theme songs.

*The James Bond Theme
* From Russia With Love
* Goldfinger
* Thunderball
* You Only Live Twice
* On Her Majesty's Secret Service
* We Have All The Time In The World
* Diamonds Are Forever
* Live and Let Die
* The Man With The Golden Gun
* Nobody Does It Better
* Moonraker
* For Your Eyes Only
* All-Time High
* A View to a Kill
* The Living Daylights
* License to Kill
* Goldeneye
* Tomorrow Never Dies
* The World is Not Enough
* Die Another Day
The later ones suck, namely Tomorrow Never Dies. I can almost stomach "Die Another Day" but other than that even thing past "A View To a Kill" is intolerable.

Wait, "Die Another Day" sucks too.

Permanent Solution
11-30-2005, 11:01 PM
I am currently very much enjoying the soundtrack to Rent, the movie...haven't seen it yet, but the music is awesome
The movie was great too, definitely recommend it.

I'm digging the soundtrack as well.

Bartender
12-01-2005, 05:24 AM
uhh... i don't get it

And I was saying it's actually one of the five best things in the world ever.

SaxyFROgirl
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
i've heard good things about it, and I really like Danny Elfman's work
I'm looking forward to picking up the soundtrack for the Goblet of Fire, i know John Williams didn't write it this time, (and it didn't overly wow me in the theatres) but it's usually better to hear out of context with that stuff

3rdplanet
12-01-2005, 12:06 PM
I really want to get the Splinter Cell 3 soundtrack by Amon Tobin.

Never really listened to film soundtracks, the PSone Metal Gear Solid has a great soundtrack too.

sgreen7
12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
uhh... i don't get it

It's about near one of the best loved soundtracks ever. . .

ani_starkiller
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
It's about near one of the best loved soundtracks ever. . .

I know and it's sad. Nobody was into it 10 years ago, but now The Nightmare Before Christmas is everywhere cuz of this annoying "im so artistic" fad, therefore kids are jumping all over anything that looks like it could be considered remotely creative.

The soundtrack is pure crap to anything Alan Menkan and Howard Ashman have done

firefoxzero
12-02-2005, 07:09 AM
The later ones suck, namely Tomorrow Never Dies. I can almost stomach "Die Another Day" but other than that even thing past "A View To a Kill" is intolerable.

Wait, "Die Another Day" sucks too.

Yeah, the opening songs usually are pop ballads but it's the other songs in the films which are the best, especially the new ones.

"Backseat Driver" from Tomorrow Never Dies featuring the Propellerheads is really cool. The version of OHMSS the Props did is amazing too, drum & bass and an orchestra!

The music to the Goldeneye game on the N64 is great, as well as Perfect Dark.

Some of the songs from The World Is Not Enough are great too, track 3!

sgreen7
12-03-2005, 02:07 PM
So, I found some new stuff on DC++ recently, and it's looking like I may make some purchases soon.

Elliot Goldenthal's "Interview With The Vampire" score - A beautiful, haunting score. This, so far, is my favourite of the new stuff that I've found. My opinion is coloured on it, as I loved the book and film, but nevertheless, if you like darker orchestral scores, check this out.

Howard Shore's "Se7en" score. Once again, I'm biased on this, because it's one of my favourite movies. Unfortunately, you can't buy this score anymore, only the crappy soundtrack, so I can't get it on CD. I'm highly enjoying it, it has a very dark, ominous mood that reflects the film perfectly. A bit more subdued, and does not stand on it's own as strongly as other stuff, due to the style of the underscoring. But neverthless, highly enjoyable for me.

James Horner's score for "A Beautiful Mind" - I haven't fully picked this apart yet, but from my passive listening, it seems to be a well crafted, interesting score. Charlotte Church's voice adds a lot to some of the tracks, ver interesting.

Wojciek Kilar's score for "Bram Stoker's Dracula" - Very fun score to listen to. I was dissapointed that they cut some of the cues from the film, and added some stuff that I did not remember, but all in all, it still stands alone very well.

Wojciek Kilar's score for "The Ninth Gate" - This is something that I downloaded on a whim, having never seen the film. The score works well on it's own, and the female vocals used on it greatly add to the CD. Some very nice themes in there. It's hard to comment on how good a score it actually is without a context, but it's a good standalone piece.

Jones and Edelman's "Last of the Mohicans" - This one is kind of a classic. Some very beautiful scoring, with excellent orchestration. I preferred Jones' cues over Edelman's, but both work well.

Klaus Badelt's "Pirates of The Carribean" - This is a fun score to listen to, but it does not stand as well on it's own. However, it works excellently with the film, so I can't fault it for that. It seems a bit overblown with out Depp and Rush's goofy, flamboyant characterizations, but in context, it's great.

Graem Revells "The Crow" - This is a different one. Electric guitar, different percussion etc. . . It worked for the film, but not for my CD player, so I'm afraid it's probably going to have to go to make room on my hardrive.

Harry Gregson-Williams' "Spy Game" score - This is the way electronic scoring elements should be used. This is a very interesting score, and I think it's going to be spinning a lot. It's been a while since I've seen the film, so I can't comment on how it meshes, but I'll be renting it soon to find out. Very cool.

fingis
12-04-2005, 03:17 AM
i dont know if it's already been posted but the soundtrack to eternal sunshine of the spotless mind a right good soundtrack

Reywas
01-02-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm listening to the Narnia soundtrack by Harry Gregson Williams and it's outstanding.The songs follow a simillair theme throughout and make a great blend of epic/relaxing melodies.

Recommended

Pale-Folklore
01-02-2006, 12:11 PM
i'm sure most of these have already been said (i didnt bother reading the thread), im just gonna post my favourite soundtracks though:

Donnie Darko
Requiem for a Dream
Pink Floyd: The Wall (of course)
The Animatrix (particularly Kid's Story)
Princess Mononoke
Metropolis
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Akira
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of the Fireflies (not alot of music in this movie, but its still great)
Crash
The Matrix

just_a_girl
01-02-2006, 12:58 PM
The soundtrack to Frieda is really good, especially if you like (or want to get into) traditionalist Latin music.

I also liked the Cowboy Beebop soundtrack, it has a lot of range with a bit of jazz, blues, country, etc. all great stuff.