PDA

View Full Version : Tuning toms for good stick rebound

Cocaberry
10-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Is there a certain way to tune the toms for good stick rebound? I am using a fat tuning now (reso extremely loose but clear tone, batter controls pitch) and I can't get good stick rebound. I have been trying to learn the technique on Tiger Bill's site, the same technique Joe Morello teaches. I get good rebound from the snare but not from the toms. Should I be tuning the reso slightly higher in pitch than the batter? Does the reso affect the feel and rebound of the batter or just the pitch of the drum?

What I am trying to say I guess is: is there a way to tune the toms so they still have a nice low sound AND so I can get good stick rebound?

Thanks,
Eric

fatcow2000
10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

either that, or...

just tune to how you like it... try **** out.

i have my batter head tight, and my reso medium-loose. (tom)
i have my batter head medium and my reso medium loose (ftom)

only two toms...

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 12:41 AM
I wouldnt worry about the head tensions much, good rebound control comes from technique. Of course you won't get the same rebound from a 16" tom as you would an 8" thats simple physics. But rebound control comes through practice and playing not over tight heads.

aznriceball
10-30-2005, 01:10 AM
dont forget tom angles

Aaron
10-30-2005, 01:49 AM
tune your toms to where they want to be tuned and keep the batter and reso close to each other in tightness until you find whats perfect for you. nearly always, the middle of the tom's tuning range will be the best sound and feel.. IMO

poppinfresh
10-30-2005, 01:13 AM
yeah i always had loose tom baters, still do, but you just have to adjust, you need to use more wrists and not rely as much on rebound, you just need to get used to it

Seafroggys
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I used to tune for rebound on my old set. I'd tune my batter tight, and my reso loose for that low pitch. ANd I also tuned in circles :lol:

My snare is pretty loose right now, its kinda hard to do rudimental diddle work and stuff, since the natural rebound is pretty gross, but I can manage with my raw technical aptitude.

poppinfresh
10-30-2005, 07:13 PM
So you could get a low sound with a tight batter??? Ive never tried that just because i assumed but can it et as low as when you have a loose batter and tight reso? what heads were you using?

chasethepony
10-31-2005, 04:59 AM
Yeah, I've never been concerned about tom tunings. I've always felt comfortable with skins that weren't too tight or loose. Around the medium tension point feels good.

Hmm, i have a question: you know those rings that you can get for your snare to prevent it from de-tuning? Could you do the same for toms? I've got a pretty crappy kit and i don't know how to tune very well, so i figured if i get the guy at the store to tune it for me then i wont have to worry about it for a long time.

Bone
10-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Hmm, i have a question: you know those rings that you can get for your snare to prevent it from de-tuning? Could you do the same for toms? I've got a pretty crappy kit and i don't know how to tune very well, so i figured if i get the guy at the store to tune it for me then i wont have to worry about it for a long time.

Find Prof. Sound's Tuning Bible. Easy google on that one. Study it.

Spend an hour with a tom, tuning it different ways and experimenting.

As to the 'rings'. The only product I'm aware of to prevent detuning is made by DW in the form of some nifty lug locks that snap on over the lug head.

Double Bass Jim
10-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Yea, you shouldnt sacrfice the sounds you want.

Caleb3221
10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I also use a bit of the gladstone techinque in my playing, but I don't tune my toms tighter to get more rebound(I do tune them fairly tight because I like the sound that way). But, I've found that if I really focus on my playing, I can still make use of the reduced rebound. You have to be really loose though, because it isn't going to be powerful enough to really pull your hand much, but its there and can be used. I sometimes focus on being loose rather than on the rebound or what I'm playing, and it seems to help in letting the rebound come out.