PDA

View Full Version : In front of the beat?

LittlePound
10-29-2005, 11:10 PM
How can i learn to play in front of/behind of the beat? I don't htink it quite means rushing or dragging but i have a hard time doing it (and i have a part in marching band where they want me to do it). Is there just a natural feeling that you get for it after a while liking playing right on top of the beat or do you have to mentally think it about it all the time?

White
10-29-2005, 11:12 PM
I have never even heard of playing in front of the beat, has anyone else, cause if they have, I wanna know to lol

Massik Kretal
10-29-2005, 11:24 PM
I think its just all natural feel like Bonham was naturally behind the beat.

Sponer
10-29-2005, 11:26 PM
At a few jazz band competitions I've done, I remember judges saying stuff like that.

I think it's just like saying when your infront of the beat, your driving that band which can be good, or when you're behind the beat your kind of letting the band lead? Neither is really a bad thing I guess, depending on the situation.

Loyton
10-29-2005, 11:34 PM
This is a HIGHLY disputed topic. People have asked it at jazz clinics ive been to, and nobody can really "describe" it. In front is like an upbeat overtop the groove thing while behind is not dragging just like... barely staying in time? If that makes any sence.

dj_ando
10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
check this thread out: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404095

hopefully that's helpful

Loyton
10-29-2005, 11:41 PM
i think what you are trying to describe i call "stretching the click".

by riding the front end of the click your playing will seem excited and slightly faster.

by riding the back end of the click you will create a feeling of slow anticipation.

your tempo is straight but your not playing exactly on the click. by mixing the 2 together you can create some very interesting "feels" for lack of a better word.

example: start a fill on the butt end of the click but end it on the front end of the click. (youll have to play the fill a hair fast to do this)

this is the sort of thing many ppl try to explain as playing exactly on the click isnt always correct. the human element creates emotion thru the use of "stretching the click".

:wave:

He said it alot better than i did.

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Think stewart copeland and carl palmer.

Two players who had a tendancy to rush and play ahead quite a bit.