PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these companies?

The Leper Messiah
10-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Basically, I am new to the drumming "scene" and don't know much about anything. I am currently saving up for my first drumset, but don't know much at all about the companies. Which of these companies make the higher quality drumsets in your opinion? Base it on anything you want, quality of the drums, hardware, customer service, etc.

-Gretsch
-Ludwig
-Mapex
-Pacific Drums by DW
-Pearl
-Pulse
-Sonor
-Tama
-Yamaha

Also, I already tried using the search feature on this website and didn't find the information I needed, so please dont ask me to search. Thanks.

Loyton
10-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Oo this is a long one.... lets see ill talk about what i know

pearl-stay AWAY from the begginer kits, the higher level stuff and intermediate stuff but NOT EXPORT.

pulse-No.

Sonor-Yes.

Yamaha-Ive heard good things about the customs, cant say i know much about low end stuff.

Mapex-good company.

Pacific-Also good, makes very nice kits. Id recommend the LX.

Tama- I like them, but ive heard bad things about the customer service

Ludwig- Unless its vintage just medo.

I dont know anything about gretsch really.

Look into a few companys like peace, ummmm cant think of any others. Peace though. Get a peace DNA for like 350 on ebay and ud be the only kid on your block!

Hey other guys help me out and tell me if im wrong on stuff.

aznriceball
10-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Basically, I am new to the drumming "scene" and don't know much about anything. I am currently saving up for my first drumset, but don't know much at all about the companies. Which of these companies make the higher quality drumsets in your opinion? Base it on anything you want, quality of the drums, hardware, customer service, etc.

-Gretsch
-Ludwig
-Mapex
-Pacific Drums by DW
-Pearl
-Pulse
-Sonor
-Tama
-Yamaha

Also, I already tried using the search feature on this website and didn't find the information I needed, so please dont ask me to search. Thanks.

i love all those companies. except for pulse. and i admit that pulse has very good marketing

White
10-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Oo this is a long one.... lets see ill talk about what i know

pearl-stay AWAY from the begginer kits, the higher level stuff and intermediate stuff but NOT EXPORT.

pulse-No.

Sonor-Yes.

Yamaha-Ive heard good things about the customs, cant say i know much about low end stuff.

Mapex-good company.

Pacific-Also good, makes very nice kits. Id recommend the LX.

Tama- I like them, but ive heard bad things about the customer service

Ludwig- Unless its vintage just medo.

I dont know anything about gretsch really.

Look into a few companys like peace, ummmm cant think of any others. Peace though. Get a peace DNA for like 350 on ebay and ud be the only kid on your block!

Hey other guys help me out and tell me if im wrong on stuff.

Thats bassically correct, but gretsch is a pretty good company, and Im wondering, can anyone tell me what the big deal with Exports are??? thanks

notti555
10-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Im sure your gonna get a lot of opinions on whats better and whats better quality, so im gonna give you my 2 cents worth right now.

all these drum companies are pretty much the same, where one drum set lacks something another kit will advance in. quality in my opinion are pretty much the same with a few pros and cons in finishes and hardware innovations.

the best way to find out whats best is go down to your newsagents and get yourself a drum mag with drum road testings and also get on the net and search other forums looking for your same question u asked.

As for most first time buyers the main issue addressing is what it looks like :p

also remember you can make and drum sound better with new and different skins and minor tweaks to setups.

The main thing though is go and try out your drums first. dont go buying a kit online without listening to what it sounds like, like some people do.

there you go i could of written a book on specifics...but im not gonna :p

Half Life
10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Thats bassically correct, but gretsch is a pretty good company, and Im wondering, can anyone tell me what the big deal with Exports are??? thanks

^Poplar shells. Just cheap wood used in a cheaply constructed shell. Nothing much more too it. All of those are great companies/types of drums(aside from Pulse...that's low-end beginner). How much money do you plan to spend on this first drumset of yours?

Tim
10-29-2005, 11:26 PM
all have good stuff to offer except pulse.

actually their piccolo snare isnt bad. $30 cant beat that but thats it

Loyton
10-29-2005, 11:32 PM

I learned this lesson the fucking hard way. Spent 860$ on a sweet new jazzy black export set, it had lots of hardware and lots of drums. I thought i was being good, buying a nice kit to start off with so i wouldnt have to later on. WRONG!!!! I made them sound good but they are poplar wood! Thats like all the cheapest woods mixed togetor! I coulda gotten a sweet maple kit for less than that. O well. Point is, they are well marketed and OVERPRICED by like 500 bucks.

Massik Kretal
10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
-Gretsch: Awesome high end kits.
-Ludwig: Awesome high and low end kits
-Mapex: Awesome mid and high kits
-Pacific Drums by DW: Awesome mid and high kits
-Pearl: ****ty kits except for there high end stuff
-Pulse: Eh dont like it.
-Sonor: Awesome ****!
-Tama: Same as Pearl
-Yamaha: Dunno rele

Iskandar
10-29-2005, 11:45 PM
-Gretsch
-Ludwig
-Mapex
-Pearl
-Sonor
-Tama
-Yamaha

These are all quality drums
-Pacific Drums by DW
Fine for a beginner.
-Pulse
Not so good. Stay far away.

The Leper Messiah
10-29-2005, 11:46 PM
What do you guys think about this drumset...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/446306/

It seems to be a good drumset to start off with from the reviews. Second opinions would be helpful though. Also, I definetely want to play double bass, should I invest in a second bass drum and another pedal, or just buy a double bass pedal?

Loyton
10-29-2005, 11:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peace-DNA-Sparkle-PRO-Drum-set-5-Piece_W0QQitemZ7361163226QQcategoryZ38097QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isnt that prettier? Nobody will have that!:naughty:

Iskandar
10-29-2005, 11:51 PM

It seems to be a good drumset to start off with from the reviews. Second opinions would be helpful though. Also, I definetely want to play double bass, should I invest in a second bass drum and another pedal, or just buy a double bass pedal?
That'd be good for a noob. I would say a double pedal because it's much more convenient.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 12:13 AM
honestly, if you want an AMAZING kit for the money.

RMV drums.

they sound ****ing amazing. i got a good deal on mine through some people. but their **** is amazing... who makes a purple heart snare drum, for god sake... thats the **** policement hit dudes with, lol.

Half Life
10-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Pacific Drums by DW

Fine for a beginner.

^Are you serious man? PDP drums are AWESOME drums. Those are definitely high quality kits, no doubt about that. I don't see why you are saying they are for beginner drummers.

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 12:21 AM
Pacific Drums by DW

^Are you serious man? PDP drums are AWESOME drums. Those are definitely high quality kits, no doubt about that. I don't see why you are saying they are for beginner drummers.

rmv drums are better...

i mean, look at that kit on their site.

http://www.rmvdrums.com/

*INDUSTRY WHORING*

Half Life
10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
rmv drums are better...

i mean, look at that kit on their site.

^Dude, you do realize that the threadstarter is looking into buying his first kit right? I think RMV drums might be a little out of his league, but then again, he still hasn't stated how much money he has at his disposal for a kit yet so I guess anybodies open to suggest anything.

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 12:55 AM
I want to spend around 300-400 dollars on the drumset alone, but will go up to around 500 if there is a need to.

Sam Bredeson
10-30-2005, 01:07 AM

1) If you plan on buying this kit, don't get a second bass. It'll cost you almost as much as a whole nother kit.
2) I own one of these (the wine red), they are pretty much ****ty. The hardware sucks, the toms are awkward and have lots of big holes in them.

Basically, I would just go for something else. Unless you buy a $3000 kit from them, Ludwig just doesn't cut it.

Brokensticks
10-30-2005, 01:12 AM
If you want drums buy Sonor drums that all there is to it :)

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 01:37 AM
Out of all those IMHO in order.
Yamaha
Sonor
Mapex

Yamaha has some of the very best stuff out there right now for drums that is, hardware well thats a different ballgame.

Sam Bredeson
10-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Yamaha
Sonor
Mapex

Yamaha has some of the very best stuff out there right now for drums that is, hardware well thats a different ballgame.
Hmm.. I've always been pretty impressed with Yamaha's hardware..

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 01:11 AM
Yamaha Rydeen: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/444622/?c_tid=topseller

I was looking for something a little cheaper, or maybe one that came with cymbals or atleast a throne... what you guys think of the Rydeen? Worth saving longer for?

aznriceball
10-30-2005, 01:14 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/445929/

that is currently the best deal sitting on MF

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Hmm.. I've always been pretty impressed with Yamaha's hardware..
Oh me too for sure, it's not as stand out though. Other companies give them quite the competition.

Byron
10-30-2005, 06:25 AM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/445929/

that is currently the best deal sitting on MF
123, I think Gretsch makes great kits

Ludwigs aren't bad either, I have one, the tom mounting hardware is weak though

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Anyone have anything to say about the Yamaha Rydeen? Anyone personally own one or played on one? Thanks.

Parradiddle Pete
10-30-2005, 11:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Peace-DNA-Sparkle-PRO-Drum-set-5-Piece_W0QQitemZ7361163226QQcategoryZ38097QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Isnt that prettier? Nobody will have that!:naughty:

YES, YES, YES. Get a peace D.N.A unless you have loads more money to spend.
watch out for the starcast on the tamas

spike9908
10-30-2005, 12:52 PM
right now the DNA kit on ebay is looking like your best bet. I would highly recomend that and with your left over money (if you have any) to buy a paiste pst 5 cymbal set.

Bone
10-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Yamaha
Sonor
Mapex

Excellent.

CasB
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
If you want to get a descent beginners kit go and look for these brands:
Tama
Yamaha
Sonor
Premier
Mapex

Don't go for pearl. I've got a pearl myself, and I'm happy with it, but for the same money you can get better stuff.

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
The DNA set is not going to work, because I'm still saving for the drumset. I plan to have enough in about 3 weeks and the auction would have been long closed. Any feedback on the Ludwig Accent Combo, Yamaha Rydeen and Sonor Force 505/1003 drumsets would be really cool. Thanks.

Brokensticks
10-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Sonor is awesome for the $ IMO buy Sonor.

............. Yes, i'm a Sonor whore.............

raz0r
10-30-2005, 01:18 PM
............. Yes, i'm a Sonor whore.............

You make it sound like a bad thing :p

Brokensticks
10-30-2005, 01:18 PM
O but its not :p

Chris
10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
The DNA set is not going to work, because I'm still saving for the drumset. I plan to have enough in about 3 weeks and the auction would have been long closed. Any feedback on the Ludwig Accent Combo, Yamaha Rydeen and Sonor Force 505/1003 drumsets would be really cool. Thanks.

On the Lugwig, it is a amazing sounding drum (for a beiggners kit), the only downside i saw in it is the horrable mounting system.

Sam Bredeson
10-30-2005, 01:23 PM
On the Lugwig, it is a amazing sounding drum (for a beiggners kit), the only downside i saw in it is the horrable mounting system.
I own one, and yes, the mounting sucks, but they don't sound all that great either, IMO...

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 02:31 PM
did i mention RMV, just kididng.

Massik Kretal
10-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Ludwig Accent Combo is a great buy. With proper tuning and heads that baby will sound terrific. I would know becuase I own one myself.

The snare is complete ****. I refinished mine and got a new strainer and snares and it sounds better than my chad smith snare. So you should get new snares and a strainer if you get it. That will run you for about 50 bucks for both.

Undisco Kidd
10-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Sell all of your posessions and buy a nice vintage Slingerland set.

HLxDrummer
10-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I say(no order):
Sonor
Yamaha
Pacific Drum & Percussion (PDP)
I've never heard Peace drums, but my old drum teacher LOVED them, and it seems like they are growing on the boards. I personally have a export with nice heads, and a PDP LX(same thing as CX basically, just different finish)and the PDP is amazing. Go to your local guitar center if you have one, or drum shop and check out all the different sets.

Massik Kretal
10-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Peace is awesome.

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 05:13 PM
this goes with just about any form of instrument or electronic....when in doubt, go with Yamaha

fatcow2000
10-30-2005, 05:14 PM
this goes with just about any form of instrument or electronic....when in doubt, go with Yamaha

hes sorta got a point... who else makes drums, motorbikes, guitars, pianos, human clones... everything else...

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 05:17 PM
and they are all great quality.

when buying instruments, no one can go wrong with Yammies!

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Exports are overpriced basically.

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 08:11 PM
My top choice right now is the Yamaha Rydeen, but any other opinions and persuasions are welcome. Thanks for the information so far.

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 09:20 PM
save your money a little more and Go Yamaha Stage Custom

ThugsRook
10-30-2005, 09:29 PM
-Gretsch ~ we make jazz drums and are d@mn good at it.

-Ludwig ~ we used to make the best drums in the world but our hardware always sucked

-Mapex ~ we make the shells for Sonor and decided to go into business for ourselves.

-Pacific Drums by DW ~ we use ugly lug casings

-Pearl ~ we only care about how they look

-Pulse ~ we only care about rock bottom budget pricing

-Sonor ~ we are the best there is

-Tama ~ we are the strongest name in drums, which if you think about it says nothing about our drums, only our name.

-Yamaha ~ we are what Tama should be

:thumb: :wave:

Murd_666
10-30-2005, 09:32 PM
and they are all great quality.

when buying instruments, no one can go wrong with Yammies!
I've been looking at Yamaha kit's, no offence but I do not like them, they seem okay, but the hardware is where I get thrown off by them, I wouldn't mind a kit by them, but it would deffinately not be my first choice.
-Pearl ~ we only care about how they look
hahaha, that reminds me my friend was about to buy an export by them cause it was blue, but we talked her out of it, but we still make fun of her by saying OMG! it's blue! everytime we see something crappy thats blue....

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 09:40 PM
-Tama ~ we are the strongest name in drums, which if you think about it says nothing about our drums, only our name.

couldnt say it any better

The Leper Messiah
10-30-2005, 10:21 PM
When you guys say hardware, do you mean like the mounting system and what holds the toms above the bass drum, or the cymbal stands, pedals, thrones and the like?

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Man you got that right, tama markets on their "strong" hardware which is lame. Look at how low profile yamaha makes their gear. You never hear anyone complain about yamahas. Also check out the endorsment list for yamaha nothing but top notch players, I bet their one of the hardest to get endorsed by.

bobby__johnny
10-30-2005, 10:37 PM
yeah man. the ONLY thing that could make Yammie stand better, would be a knurled boom arm....noth that their smooth booms are bad at all.

ThugsRook
10-31-2005, 12:47 AM
yeah man. the ONLY thing that could make Yammie stand better, would be a knurled boom arm....not that their smooth booms are bad at all.
i used to use Yammie hardware back in the 80s, great stuff. i loved the aluminium look they had on all their cymbal stands. (they werent chrome and they were very thick)

:)

playwithfire
10-31-2005, 01:10 AM
-Gretsch
-Ludwig
-Mapex
-Pacific Drums by DW
-Pearl
-Pulse
-Sonor
-Tama
-YamahaI don't know too much about Gretsch, but I can say their high-end kits are top-notch. Great sound out of them. Mapex I don't have a lot of experience with, but the ones I've played around with weren't bad at all, and I've never heard many complaints about them on here. PDP are decent drums for sure, but I know Eric had a problem with one he was checking out. I haven't looked into PDP that extensively because their lugs are ugly as hell (and this is coming from someone who likes the look of DW lugs). Pearl is a drum company that I hate as a whole. I don't like their kits, I don't like their hardware, and I don't like their pedals. Pulse is garbage. Sonor is good stuff, I play a Sonor, and have played around with a lot of Sonors and I would say they are one of the leaders in the strive to make better drums. They are an innovative company with great prices and great drums and hardware at all market levels. Tama makes overpriced drums, most of their finishes look cheap, and the hardware they brag about is nothing special. Personally I think a drum manufacturer should be bragging about the quality of their drums, not the metal stands that hold them up anyway. Yamaha is great stuff, I played a Stage Custom for years and they are good drums. Their higher end stuff has tone that would make your jaw drop, and if you save more money and get a Stage Custom I know you won't be disappointed.

-Yamaha ~ we are what Tama should beThat's probably the smartest thing I've ever seen you post man :thumb:.

Man you got that right, tama markets on their "strong" hardware which is lame. Look at how low profile yamaha makes their gear. You never hear anyone complain about yamahas. Also check out the endorsment list for yamaha nothing but top notch players, I bet their one of the hardest to get endorsed by.They should really change their slogan from "The Strongest Name In Drums" to "We Make Iron Cobras", which, in reality, is all they have going for them.

Double Bass Jim
10-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Yep your right, the IC hi-hat stands and pedals are all they have goin for em.

Parradiddle Pete
10-31-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm in the uk and I check ebay.COM on occasion and there is always a peace D.N.A, theyre on a lot of the time, great kits, BUY ONE

styler
10-31-2005, 01:53 AM

-Gretsch
-Ludwig
-Mapex
-Pacific Drums by DW
-Pearl
-Pulse
-Sonor
-Tama
-Yamaha

gretsch is good, i dont know much about them, but my teacher swears on them.
ludwig makes very good vintage kits.
mapex, ive heard good things about, nothing special.
Pacific, also very good, nothing great though, your basically just paying for a finish.
pearl is mainly for high-end, there lower end is bung
pulse isnt worth the money at all imo unless you want quantity over quality
sonor is the most bang for your buck
i cant say anything about tama cuz im actually a brand-whore...ill swear on them on everything but there mounting system.
and yamaha is good all around, mainly from intermediate-high level though

breakster
10-31-2005, 02:46 AM
I bet their one of the hardest to get endorsed by.
-talking about yamaha drums

thats why i respect my teacher :) as well as his zildjian endorsement.
oh yea - and his pro-mark signiture stick.

crolfe1
10-31-2005, 02:59 AM
I can speak for Gretsch as thier Catalina series of drums really are great drums to own and play. Their snares are not the best sounding, but as for the bass and the toms, I couldn't ask for a more well rounded sound from a birch drum.

Usually GC has a special going, about $600-$700 for a 6 piece kit with some hardware. All birch shells, great hardware, laquer finish, RIMS style mounts, and that classic Gretsch name, they really are good drums for the money.

You might consider a Catalina club if you are gonig on a smaller budget.

The Leper Messiah
10-31-2005, 11:30 AM
From what I heard so far, I changed my decision and am looking at the Sonor Force 505 ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=perc/search/detail/base_pid/445166/ ) as my top choice. Free Pulse 4 Piece Cymbal Pack (14/16/18) through Musician's Friend also. I know the cymbals suck but it's my first drumset, so I don't need anything spectacular. I know I can get much better drumsets for a few hundred more as you guys are suggesting, but it's hard enough scraping this $400 together so... Sonor Force 505, what do you guys think, good first drumset to learn on?

breakster
10-31-2005, 12:33 PM
i think it should suite you fine. probably the best value for money you will find.

playwithfire
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd say at that price you can easily find worse kits, so that should do you just fine. Get some new heads for it though, quality heads always make a world of difference on those cheaper kits.

ThugsRook
10-31-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd say at that price you can easily find worse kits, so that should do you just fine. Get some new heads for it though, quality heads always make a world of difference on those cheaper kits.
i agree, the 505s are a great buy. besides, upgrading your stuff is half the fun :thumb:

id suggest looking to eBay for upgrades, when you and your wallet are ready.

:wave:

The Leper Messiah
11-01-2005, 05:23 PM
If you guys could just help me with a few drumhead questions, I will be forever grateful. :)

Warmer = Darker Deeper Tone?
Brighter = Lighter Higher Tone?

What do you guys recommend for tom batter/resonant, snare batter/resonant and bassdrum batter/resonant? The style of music I will be playing is Metal, if that changes anything. Thanks again for all the help.

innerlo2
11-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Man you got that right, tama markets on their "strong" hardware which is lame. Look at how low profile yamaha makes their gear. You never hear anyone complain about yamahas. Also check out the endorsment list for yamaha nothing but top notch players, I bet their one of the hardest to get endorsed by.

I've looked into that actually Jim. Yamaha doesn't pay anyone to endorse there stuff, they will give you deals on the gear and let you talk to the designers but there is no free ride so to speak. Applying to even be an endorsee with them is a long process.

But ya gotta love em' for that.

playwithfire
11-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I don't think many people get *paid* to endorse a company, just either free gear, or gear at or below cost.