PDA

View Full Version : Schecter - Diamond Series C-5

groundzero
10-29-2005, 10:29 PM
I've had this bass for a while and haven't gotten around to doing a review, so I guess now is as good a time as any.

Schecter Diamond Series C-5

Information from the Schecter site:
http://schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=87
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Bolt-on / 35"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Figured Maple
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Multi-Laminate Maple & Walnut / Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Vector
PICKUPS: EMG HZ
ELECTRONICS: 2 Vol w/ EMG Active 2-Band EQ
BRIDGE: S-Tek
BINDING: None
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Satin Gold
COLOR: Antique Amber (ANTQ)

SUGGESTED RETAIL: $769
STREET PRICE: $500

FEATURES (3/5):
This is the only area of the bass that disappoints me, so I'll get it out of the way first.

The C-5 has a 2 band EQ and a volume knob for each pickup. The EQ is fine; it's nice for quick changes and you can use your amp for more fine tuning. A 3 band would be cool but definitely not required. The active preamp lets you get a nice range of sounds.

The two volume knobs would be MUCH nicer if they were in a volume/blend configuration rather than a volume/volume config. This is something I would change if I knew how.

The string spacing is somewhat smaller than average for a 5 string. I like this because it fits my hands well, other people may not.

CONSTRUCTION (4.5/5):
This bass is solid from top to bottom. The tuners stay in tune wonderfully; if it's just sitting on my stand I can pick it up after not playing for 3 or 4 days and only have to tune one string, if that.

The 35" scale is almost a necessity for a 5 string. The low B is nice and tight. The truss rod came perfectly adjusted; my action is lower than any other bass I've played and I love it.

The frets are all solid and I can't find any dead spots on the neck. The neck itself is beautiful and plays like a dream. The vector inlays are definitely a lot nicer looking than just a couple dots, but they're not too over the top either.

Access to the upper frets is pretty good; hitting 18+ on the B, 20+ on the E and 22+ on the A is a bit tough but all the rest are easily reachable, which I'm thankful for.

The pickups are seated nice and solidly; they don't budge a millimeter when I rest my thumb on them. The pots turn nice and smoothly with no crackling. The strap pins are completely solid; I've have to tighten the pins on my other bass quite a few times but I've never had to touch these. The input jack is solid; I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

The S-Tek bridge is amazing. It makes changing strings a breeze and it gives the bass a ton of sustain. It does make adjusting the action and intonation a bit tougher because you have to first detune the string, then adjust, then retune. This, however, is a small price to pay.

The mahogany body makes this bass pretty heavy; it's heavier than any other 5 string I've played. With that said, it's still perfectly balanced. I get no neck or body dive at all while playing; I credit this to excellent strap pin placement. The dense body wood gives the bass a nice, rich tone and heaps of sustain.

Schecter basses all come stock with Elixir strings. I can't believe more manufacturers don't ship their basses with high-end strings; it really makes the bass so much mroe pleasant to play. I've since restrung it with Rotosound strings because I can't afford Elixirs (I'm a poor college student, you know).

This bass looks fantastic. I fell in love with it the second I laid eyes on it in the shop. The black cherry finish is alright, but I have the antique amber finish and it looks stunning. The quilted maple top has an amazing grain. There's a strip of cream colored binding all around the bass that when paired with the sating gold hardware ties the whole thing together in one big package of aesthetic bliss.

One isssue I have run into in intonating the B string; after I restrung it not long ago I couldn't get the intonation quite right. I'm going to try again later and see if it was just an issue that day (humidity, etc).

EDIT: My B string now has proper intonation; it was just that day I guess.

The only reason I give this a 4.5 is that a set neck or neck-through would have given me even more sustain and the intonation issue. I have no other complaints/suggestions to Schecter for the construction of this bass; it's amazing.

SOUND (4.5/5):
I love the sound of my C5. It's very, very versatile. The active EQ lets me do quite a bit, and when paired with the pickup blending I can get almost anything I want. The only thing I haven't gotten from it is a real P-Bassy sound, but since I can't stand that sound it doesn't bother me too much.

The EMG pickups give me crisp, clear highs for tapping and slap (I rarely slap though). Cutting the highs and boosting the bass slightly gives me a warm, synthy, Amanda Woodward-like tone that I use when playing with my band.

Playing with the blending of the pickups can get me thin, harmonic-friendly tones or thicker, warmer tones. I really can't find anything I don't like about the sound of the bass.

VALUE (5/5):
If there's anything Schecter has going for them, it's value. Every Schecter bass I've played has outperformed basses costing twice as much. I hear people knocking Schecter and saying "Buy a Spector instead!" but with Spectors at (usually) twice the price it's not fair to say that. For $500 I don't think you can find a better value than this bass.

OVERALL (4/5):
I've had this bass for about a year now and I feel like I have enough experience with it to give a good review.

I've played it at home with a bunch of different amps (Rogue 15w practice amp, Behringer/Hartke 4x10" half stack, 70's Ampeg 15" combo), played at shows through a PA, and recorded at a professional studio (recordings are on our band's page at http://www.myspace.com/thecouncilrocks ) and it has never let me down.

I've gotten nothing but compliments about it. A ton of people have told me how beautiful it looks. I've let several other people play it and they all love it.

The few minor problems I've mentioned are just that: minor. I would recommend this bass to anyone looking for a great value in the $500 price range. I can almost guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

And now your favorite part: pictures! Please excuse the artsy photos; that's the side of me that like amateur photography showing through.

http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter0.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter1.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter2.jpg
http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter3.jpg

groundzero
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter4.jpg

http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter5.jpg

http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter6.jpg

http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/images/basses/schecterc5/schecter7.jpg

groundzero
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
http://www.rit.edu/~sjl7678/c5/c5_09.jpg

dragonzmad
10-30-2005, 12:02 AM
good review

bass&cookies
10-30-2005, 12:32 AM
thats pretty nice
ive always liked schecters more than spectors

Tryxx
10-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Nice review, orgasmic pictures. :thumb:

Machines
10-30-2005, 05:08 AM
That's absolutely gorgeous, nice review :D.

Aukai
10-30-2005, 05:43 AM
I have the exact same bass as a 4 string, absolutely love it. Picked it over the elite and custom stilettos cause its DAMN fine.

Radiobass81
10-30-2005, 07:08 AM
I want to buy one now.

Great review.

groundzero
10-30-2005, 08:10 AM
I have the exact same bass as a 4 string, absolutely love it. Picked it over the elite and custom stilettos cause its DAMN fine.
I've played the 4 string version in stores and as far as I can tell everything I said about the C-5 applies to the C-4 as well. It felt and sounded just as solid and nice and looked just as beautiful.

Radiobass81
10-30-2005, 04:51 PM
How's the neck on the four, though?

groundzero
10-30-2005, 08:15 PM
How's the neck on the four, though?
Not all that much thinner than the 5 (since the 5 has such small string spacing) but still very comfortable.

Akira
11-06-2005, 04:58 PM
That is so amazingly hot. How does it feel to play. I can just imagine how much I would bang my wrist on that sharp edge.

groundzero
11-06-2005, 05:50 PM
That is so amazingly hot. How does it feel to play. I can just imagine how much I would bang my wrist on that sharp edge.
It feels amazing. Which sharp edge do you mean? I never play with a pick so I have no idea how it would be for that.

Akira
11-06-2005, 06:04 PM
It feels amazing. Which sharp edge do you mean? I never play with a pick so I have no idea how it would be for that.Well not sharp exactly but like it isn't curved. It doesn't really affect me because I almost never pick either.

groundzero
11-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Well not sharp exactly but like it isn't curved. It doesn't really affect me because I almost never pick either.
Where though? I don't really see anywhere that isn't curved.

sixner
11-06-2005, 08:32 PM
that's a beautiful bass, i'd love to get one.. the c-5 is probably at top of Schecters for me.....
-sixner

BigShoes
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
thats a very nice bass love the gold and the inlays, very nice review

groundzero
01-06-2006, 11:09 PM
New photos and an update to the review (the intonation problem went away).

zeusalmightyfootlord_amen
01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
its... beautiful!

Alma
01-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Yes, very nice bass. Good review too!

kason5
01-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow, what a bass I picked one up today because I was checking out a Hartke amp. Well, I liked the looks of it first off, then I looked at the action and about peed in my pants it is so close to the neck. The best action I have ever felt, and the thing is beautiful. If any of the other Schecters are like this I have become a Schecter man. Oh yeah, the bridge is perfect I love it. I'm definately saving up for this bad boy, i think it would fit nicely with my Fender Deluxe Active Jazz. This thing has me wanting to go back to the shop to play it some more, great bass. I'm a 4 string guy, but this is the best 5 string I have ever felt I have been looking for a 5 string and I think this one is going to be it. Great review, for a great bass.
:thumb:
-Kason

Alma
01-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Wow, what a bass I picked one up today because I was checking out a Hartke amp. Well, I liked the looks of it first off, then I looked at the action and about peed in my pants it is so close to the neck. The best action I have ever felt, and the thing is beautiful. If any of the other Schecters are like this I have become a Schecter man. Oh yeah, the bridge is perfect I love it. I'm definately saving up for this bad boy, i think it would fit nicely with my Fender Deluxe Active Jazz. This thing has me wanting to go back to the shop to play it some more, great bass. I'm a 4 string guy, but this is the best 5 string I have ever felt I have been looking for a 5 string and I think this one is going to be it. Great review, for a great bass.
:thumb:
-Kason

What model Deluxe Jazz do you have? MIA or MIM?

kason5
01-23-2006, 07:57 AM
It's a Mexican but it plays darn good for a Mexican. I'm just not crazy about the weight and the bridge is a piece of crap. How well is the Schecter balanced on a strap?

groundzero
01-23-2006, 11:35 PM
It's a Mexican but it plays darn good for a Mexican. I'm just not crazy about the weight and the bridge is a piece of crap. How well is the Schecter balanced on a strap?

From the review:
With that said, it's still perfectly balanced. I get no neck or body dive at all while playing; I credit this to excellent strap pin placement.

Applehead
01-24-2006, 05:30 AM
good review, thanks a lot. I dont play a 5 string, but i do own a Custom 4.. amazing bass for the money...

Schectors rock!

eriatarka
01-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Great review,great pictures.Im seriously considering buying one of these.Any thoughts on this compared to an Ibanez sr505?

groundzero
02-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Great review,great pictures.Im seriously considering buying one of these.Any thoughts on this compared to an Ibanez sr505?
Much better looks, better bridge, no input jack on the front, different pickups, probably a different feel.

eriatarka
02-04-2006, 06:22 PM
If I find one,ill most likely buy it.Looks amazingly hot.

zink182
02-10-2006, 09:36 AM
how is it sound wise.. bassy.. sterile.. clean clangy sound? tell me :D

groundzero
02-10-2006, 02:36 PM
how is it sound wise.. bassy.. sterile.. clean clangy sound? tell me :D
The active EQ lets me get a bunch of tones from it. I haven't been able to get the tinny P Bass sound but other than that I've found a pretty wide selection. The neck pickup has a noticable amount of bark to it and the bridge pickup is nice and warm. It can be bassy or not depending on how much bass you dial in.

You can hear it on my band's recordings: http://www.myspace.com/thecouncilrocks

Sade
02-11-2006, 12:05 AM
This is a pretty decent review, on a pretty decent bass!

You get my approval.

elmo121
05-30-2006, 05:18 AM
that bass looks verry sexy. shame im broke really, but thanks for the link, bass sounds rather good. and good review, got me wanting one now

incubass
05-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I have the same bass. Your review is dead on. nice job

stinger
11-18-2006, 10:39 AM
i was playing a schetcher today in sound control, because im looking for a new bass, and it was by far my favourite tone, i dont even think it was the C5, a cheaper model prehaps but id definatly wanna try a C4 (cos i play 4 string, but they didnt have a 4-string schetcher which is stupid) i still need to try out a musicman of some description before i jump in and buy a schetcher, but its definatly near the top of my list.

EDIT, just tried looking all over the net for a C4/C5 (specifically black cherry) and they are so hard to find, anyone got any bones they can throw in my direction?

Coke Bottle
12-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Schecter, to me, make the most consistently beautiful guitars and basses time and again.

TheophileIII
12-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Well done on the review groundzero...when i first read it i was like "Well wtf, can i play metal on it?"...And after hearing the 2 songs on your bands myspace i can. I love the music you guys make, this schecter i might just get for my metal band.