PDA

View Full Version : The 'EXTREME' Zone: Flo, Roddy, Sandoval, Kolias, Lopez and Asheim

2001-Lateralus
10-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Hi. I am, at the moment, quite a fan of 'extreme' metal music/drumming; i.e. death, etc.
So I thought it would be about time we had an 'extreme-only' drummers poll.

I have used this six, as they are the most prevalent in death metal for the past and present. I'm not going to include the likes of Hoglan, as I don't see Death as an extreme group. Well, not at least from their last few albums. And seeing as he didn't drum on their early material, I have decided not to include him.

Now, please, I don't want any impertinent posts regarding these drummers, like, 'he's no Vinnie', 'it's so random', bla, bla, bla... If you don't appreciate this type of music, then don't post. Period.
I'm sorry I have to say this, but I feel it is necessary in retrospect.

So, any comments, please keep to the point and relevant. That is all I ask.

Vote and discuss away.

P.S. I apologise if I have missed out any well-known drummers, but I don't know them all :confused:.

Thanks.

Jezen
10-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Aww man Marco Minneman is way more extreme than all of 'em together. :evil:

Out of that list I would probably say Flo. I hope nobody votes for Roddy, as he is crap. Well, his feet are superb but his hand technique....Wtf mate :confused:?!

Hammerheart
10-29-2005, 07:33 PM
After seeing cryptopsy live, my favorite drummer on that list is flo mounier, followed by martin lopez.

2001-Lateralus
10-29-2005, 07:59 PM

Out of that list I would probably say Flo. I hope nobody votes for Roddy, as he is crap. Well, his feet are superb but his hand technique....Wtf mate :confused:?!

Really? Roddy that is. Everyone always seems to go on about Flo's technique. And how he has trouble adjusting to slow-down of tempo?

I am a big Roddy fan. And his VCD release is very good. But I'm sure you know a hell of a lot more about hand technique than I do.
Is there any chance you can elaborate on why you think Roddy isn't that good?

:confused:

Ohh, and I voted for ML. His work on Deliverance and Blackwater Park was absloutely brilliant. He just seems to be a lot more diverse than the others.

Jezen
10-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I have a few clips of him, from his double bass video, and he only uses his thumb and middle finger. Most of the time his index finger is running down the length of the stick.
I was of course over-exaggurating by saying hes crap. I just believe that if he dumbed it down a little, and fixed up his hands, he could improve 10 times over.

Loyton
10-29-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a few clips of him, from his double bass video, and he only uses his thumb and middle finger. Most of the time his index finger is running down the length of the stick.
I was of course over-exaggurating by saying hes crap. I just believe that if he dumbed it down a little, and fixed up his hands, he could improve 10 times over.

Im really gonna have to disagree with you on that one. Ill explain why later, ima gonna go watch "A Hard Days Night"

puppet.master
10-29-2005, 08:57 PM
personally i like roddy

BB have you seen the videos off his website?

aznriceball
10-29-2005, 08:59 PM
im sorry i didnt see the italics on ur name. whats that? u dont have italics on ur name? oh then u cant really tell me what i cant post then can u :p

that being said, i thought roddy was ok

Jezen
10-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah Dave I have seen his site vids. Watch the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (I think[from memory]), and he should be playing another generic death metal solo. Watch his fingers. You hardly have to concentrate.

Det_Nosnip
10-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Groove and creativity > speed in any situation, including metal. Therefore, definitely Lopez. Although, to be honest, I don't really think it's fair to pair him with those guys, as Opeth sound absolutely nothing like any of them at all, really.

Hellhammer should have been in his spot, and if this were a sane world, he would get all of the votes. :)

Massik Kretal
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Martin Lopez hands down. He is much more than the other drummers, becuase he can play a variety of genres. And your right Opeth doesnt sound like any of them. They are much better.

And I'm gonna see them in two days!! Halloween Bitches! :D

Everything_and_Nothing_3:15
10-29-2005, 10:32 PM
I'd say Derek definatly plays the most "extreme" metal, but George Kollias has some serious feet as well. But I don't think anyone in music/a song has touched Pete Sandoval, 280bpm in Opening of the gates.

White
10-29-2005, 10:39 PM
I voted For Deryk Roddy, seeing as I ow Alot To him and his Double Bass Instuctional DVDs, if it wasnt for those and his other Dvds I wouldn't be anything right now, he is my favorite Extreme Metal Drummer For sure

puppet.master
10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah Dave I have seen his site vids. Watch the 1st, 3rd, and 5th (I think[from memory]), and he should be playing another generic death metal solo. Watch his fingers. You hardly have to concentrate.
hmm ya i see what you mean

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 01:56 AM
Groove and creativity > speed in any situation, including metal
You got that right...

Outta that list certainly martin, at least he has some feel and sparks of creativty.

Refl
10-30-2005, 05:49 AM
Martin is in a much more flexible band, musically. Therefore he can be way more interesting.

Plus, the guys got lovely groove anyway.

XAQ
10-30-2005, 07:43 AM
I'm seeing Opeth TONIGHT!

:thumb:

Chippy569
10-30-2005, 08:01 AM
no jarzombek (what's his name?) on the list? i don't think he's really an "Extreme" player but he pulls a lot of style similar to their playing. Personally i find him most... enjoyable? to watch and listen to.

Of those listed, Roddy is my favorite.

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 08:17 AM
I pick Sandoval because I don't listen to much death metal but out of Morbid Angel and Opeth Morbid angels drumming is more intense even though Opeths is better.

Jezen
10-30-2005, 08:18 AM
^^^^
Bobby.

raz0r
10-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Martin Lopez.

/thread

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Martin Lopez.

/thread
John Bonham

/thread

XAQ
10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
why would you say john bonham when comparing extreme metal drummers?

ThugsRook
10-30-2005, 01:10 PM
LOL ~ i have no idea who any of these guys or bands are :lol:

well actually i know who Derek Roddy is cause he lives near me, but i dont know his work.

no vote from me.

TTTSNB
10-30-2005, 01:23 PM
no jarzombek (what's his name?) on the list? i don't think he's really an "Extreme" player but he pulls a lot of style similar to their playing. Personally i find him most... enjoyable? to watch and listen to.

Of those listed, Roddy is my favorite.
Yeah definitely. I think Jarzombek could easily play that stuff if he wanted to, and Roddy's playing is great on the new album, particularly on the song "I Monarch", I love his tom part in the beginning.

BartatuaIam
10-30-2005, 05:44 PM

I think maybe you should be paying a little less attention to how it looks and a little more attention to what's being done with it...and I really don't see the problem, the guy looks perfectly relaxed playing 16ths at 240. Do you?

Jezen
10-30-2005, 05:48 PM
But think of what he could do!

BartatuaIam
10-30-2005, 05:52 PM
But think of what he could do!

I guess it just seems like someone who plays at such a speed so efficiently has developed a hand technique to suit that...

Aaron
10-30-2005, 07:00 PM
i disagree on your decision not to include hoglan, because strapping young lad are as extreme as they come in my books. piggsy you fool; no vote for you!

Double Bass Jim
10-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Not to mention gene out grooves them all, that man has some serious feel.

Id LOVE to see gene play outside of the metal scene.

Norsiedals
10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
i disagree on your decision not to include hoglan, because strapping young lad are as extreme as they come in my books. piggsy you fool; no vote for you! SYL is horrible IMO compared to Death. I thought his best playing was on Symbolic.

EDIT: "Individual thought patterns" was good as well.

Aaron
10-30-2005, 10:43 PM
DBJ: i'd love gene to be my dad! haha. he's the king of metal feel. knows how to play rests and add space and ambience.. good skill to have for drummers ;)

Half Life
10-30-2005, 10:51 PM
I voted Sandoval simply because his speed boggles me :eek:

Det_Nosnip
10-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Not to mention gene out grooves them all, that man has some serious feel.

Id LOVE to see gene play outside of the metal scene.

As much as I love Gene as well, Reinert > Hoglan. That guy is simply ridiculous. :lol:

2001-Lateralus
10-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Has anyone got any idea what Flo's average double-bass speed is for straight singles?
And I was also wondering what Martin's is? As on the intro to The Master's Apprentices for example, it seems ridicuously fast. But someone said before it was about 180 - 190?

The Ska Man
10-31-2005, 08:18 PM
All those guys=Bleh

Double Bass Jim
10-31-2005, 09:18 PM
As much as I love Gene as well, Reinert > Hoglan. That guy is simply ridiculous. :lol:
Yea he's great too, their VERY similar.

Although he still doesnt have that extra edge that gives gene his unique sound.

Det_Nosnip
11-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Yeah, but Reinert takes an almost fusiony approach to it....his playing on the self-titled "Aghora" album is just plain sick.

Det_Nosnip
11-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Punkdrummer...All those guys=Bleh

Go figure. :rolleyes:

The Ska Man
11-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Punkdrummer...

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Punk drummers are way worse. I just like groovin' and stuff, but not the whole speed/chops is all that matters type of stuff.

FockerTheLopper
11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
I've been hearing of Marco Miniman in this thread, I know hes a German drummer/virtouso that has just been endorsed by zildjian. What kind of music does he play, he uses alot of K's(all exept for one or two cymbals I believe) so I don't think its metal

Ill Mitch
11-01-2005, 04:31 PM
LOL ~ i have no idea who any of these guys or bands are :lol:

no vote from me.

Yeah, me neither. I don't care much for death metal.

Carn
11-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Hannes Grossmann
John Longstreth

The Ska Man
11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
I've been hearing of Marco Miniman in this thread, I know hes a German drummer/virtouso that has just been endorsed by zildjian. What kind of music does he play, he uses alot of K's(all exept for one or two cymbals I believe) so I don't think its metal

Not true at all! He uses Meinl, Amun Series. Yes its metal.

Dookiedude3005
11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
roddy is really good, but he's no lopez......Opeth is definately one of the best metal bands out there(and unfortunately getting more popular....I saw one of their cd's on sale at Hot Topic:angry: :upset: )

Just listen to deliverance......AMAZING work. Lopez actually slept for like a month in the studio's bathroom because he was afraid of having an idea and wouldn't get it down....thats dedication and suffering for your art.

FockerTheLopper
11-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Might not be the same guy then... I'm pretty sure thats his name though, he's a skinny white guy barely got a tan, black hair. What band is he in?

FockerTheLopper
11-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Yeah looked him up on drummerworld, its him and he does use zildjians(or did) he might have switched between the 2 but in 2004 he was a zildjian guy. He grooves greatly on this song.(wandering in somewhere)

The Ska Man
11-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Might not be the same guy then... I'm pretty sure thats his name though, he's a skinny white guy barely got a tan, black hair. What band is he in?

Is it the guy who wrote all those independence books? If so, He is on Meinl, and has been, for a while now.

FockerTheLopper
11-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Is it the guy who wrote all those independence books? If so, He is on Meinl, and has been, for a while now.
I saw him on drummerworld and yeah its him, and there are some pictures where he uses Zildjians and I'm pretty sure hes a Zildjian guy now, but he might have switched back or something.

Half Life
11-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Marco Minneman is an independent/session(maybe?)/extreme drummer. He's basically another guy to throw into the pool of guys like T. Lang and Mangini...at least that's what I'll assume after seeing him play on Drummerworld :eek:

FockerTheLopper
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Marco Minneman is an independent/session(maybe?)/extreme drummer. He's basically another guy to throw into the pool of guys like T. Lang and Mangini...at least that's what I'll assume after seeing him play on Drummerworld :eek:
I think hes better, grooves more... Maybe not more then Lang but more then Mangini.

The Ska Man
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
He's been on Zildjian since '04 (http://www.zildjian.com/en-US/artists/artistDetail.ad2?artistID=1272&genreID=1,6)

cjcdrums
11-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Marco is one of the "uberdrummers" (like Virgil Donati, Mike Mangini, Thomas Lang, etc)

He switched to Zildjian last year from Meinl...

He is a madman on the drums... Check out his DVD if you get a chance.

Det_Nosnip
11-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Punk drummers are way worse. I just like groovin' and stuff, but not the whole speed/chops is all that matters type of stuff.

Right. Because any of these player is being judged simply for his speed/chops? :confused:

Double Bass Jim
11-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Someone needs to be shown the road to Reinert I think :cool: