PDA

View Full Version : Slapping v Double Thumbing

SixnStones
10-29-2005, 12:04 PM
When wouldn't you DT? Isn't DTing a 'better' form of slapping? I'm a little confused.

Tryxx
10-29-2005, 12:05 PM
What? Why? That doesn't make much sense. They're related techniques, but they ARE seperate. And frankly, I can't double thumb and I'm content with that.

Riouken
10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Teh techniques are seperate. As I say in my instrucitonal audio, I only ever go down with my thumb on the intent of going back up. I only use DT for fills, runs or even full songs. I see them as seperate techniques that can be mixed and connected.

SixnStones
10-29-2005, 12:07 PM
What? Why? That doesn't make much sense. They're related techniques, but they ARE seperate. And frankly, I can't double thumb and I'm content with that.

Well DTing sounds like slapping, but faster. I don't look down or whatever on slapping, i can't DT either, I'm just saying if you could DT and Slap perfectly, when would you use DT and when would you slap?

Tryxx
10-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I think the slapping position for your hand is a bit more ergonomic at times, and I always thought they sounded slightly different. Slapping was a bit more raw, you could hear the contact with the frets, double thumbing was a bit more percussive in a different way.

SixnStones
10-29-2005, 12:10 PM
ok kl, just wondering

Riouken
10-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Well DTing sounds like slapping, but faster. I don't look down or whatever on slapping, i can't DT either, I'm just saying if you could DT and Slap perfectly, when would you use DT and when would you slap?
I slap when I'm doing liens that don't require me to go down twice and pop twice. You can use Salp and DT in many areas. Percussion for exmaple. But, I find it easier to do fast, flam percussive thigns with a down up pop pop than a slap slap pop pop (with one finger).

It is when I feel I need it. For example, DTing Donna Lee. I could not purely jsut slap that line, I'd have to Double Thumb it.

The reason people don't btoher learning to DT is because they may not need to do the things thatDTing offers you.

jaco jr
10-29-2005, 02:18 PM
im still confused - what is the exact difference between the techniques - and do you still pop notes if you are DTing?

802.11-NGR
10-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't personally like DT'ing.
I mean, it was cool when Vic used it, early on, but now you go into guitar center, and you just hear all this atonal thudding from the bass room, and I realize that the guitarists are probably right.

Chris K
10-29-2005, 03:11 PM
im still confused - what is the exact difference between the techniques - and do you still pop notes if you are DTing?

DT'ing is all thumb. it refers to what you do with the thumb, and it's pretty hard to pop when you're doing it...

DT'ing and slap are different, there are some things impossible to slap, there are some things impossible to DT.

Bass_guy333
10-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Slapping is the lesser of the two.

You can double thumb things that are meant for slap, but usually not vice versa. DT is a more advanced technique that was meant for a reason.

Victor Wooten doesn't slap AT ALL. Everything he plays that has to do with slapping is double thumbed.

You can pop when you double-thumb. Yes, it's hard at first, but then again so is everything. Keep it up and you'll get it.

FREAKofNATURE
10-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Slapping is the lesser of the two.

You can double thumb things that are meant for slap, but usually not vice versa. DT is a more advanced technique that was meant for a reason.

Victor Wooten doesn't slap AT ALL. Everything he plays that has to do with slapping is double thumbed.

You can pop when you double-thumb. Yes, it's hard at first, but then again so is everything. Keep it up and you'll get it.

Vic does slap, I don't know where you get that from. Everything in the song A Show Of Hands besides the tapping part is slapped, a lot of Classical Thump is slapped, Vic's Jam is mostly slapped. When he improvs, it's mostly slap and there really isn't much double thumbing.

Ting
10-29-2005, 04:22 PM

Thats exactly what happens to me, when ever i play triplets or sumting while slapping, i usualy end up DTing

jaco jr
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
so is DTing just fast slapping or what?
no one has actually explained it

Chris K
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Vic does slap, I don't know where you get that from. Everything in the song A Show Of Hands besides the tapping part is slapped, a lot of Classical Thump is slapped, Vic's Jam is mostly slapped. When he improvs, it's mostly slap and there really isn't much double thumbing.

I tihnk you're missing the sarcasm...

Chris K
10-29-2005, 04:27 PM
so is DTing just fast slapping or what?
no one has actually explained it

it's more like using your thumb as a pick...

just push trough the string, to sound it once, and then pull your thumb up, letting it hit the string again, to create a second note.

FREAKofNATURE
10-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Bascially, you get two string hits with one attack. When you slap down, instead of letting your thumb hit the string and then pulling back up(getting one note), you hit the string and then move your thumb below it(twards the body) and then bring it back up plucking with the opposite side of your thumb. So you are using your thumb sort of like a pick.

Bass_guy333
10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Vic never slaps, I'll elaborate.

Everything you hear in those songs sounds like slap, yes, but technique-wise it's not.

Slapping is the back and forth movement of your thumb, while double thumbing is the up and down movement. Just because he utilizes the down, and not always the up, doesnt mean it's not double thumbing.

Watch a video of him, and you'll see he rarely comes out, but will always go up and down.

Riouken
10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Vic never slaps, I'll elaborate.

Everything you hear in those songs sounds like slap, yes, but technique-wise it's not.

Slapping is the back and forth movement of your thumb, while double thumbing is the up and down movement. Just because he utilizes the down, and not always the up, doesnt mean it's not double thumbing.

Watch a video of him, and you'll see he rarely comes out, but will always go up and down.
things have changed now! When I learnt to slap the whole idea was going paralell and bouncing off.

Now, it seems to be that people are taught to go through the string anyway. So it easy how some may get confused.

Ting
10-29-2005, 07:21 PM
things have changed now! When I learnt to slap the whole idea was going paralell and bouncing off.

Now, it seems to be that people are taught to go through the string anyway. So it easy how some may get confused.
I use a combo of the two. Kinda strange, when i need to play a few notes in quick(er) succesion i slap the string horizontaly (what a brutal speller i am), then my thumb slides down and DTs. Wierd..

tomtom
10-29-2005, 11:07 PM
sorry, noob question, what exactly is Double Thimbing?
i presume it's kind-of similar to slapping.

Riouken
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
^^

I made an 18 minute MP3 explaining all aspects of the tehcnique, hosted here: http://www.omgosh.com/stuff/

Mr_Soup
10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
I think that DTing is useful when you want a slap tone to a riff, but the riff is ergonomically difficult to slap (ie. which notes to slap, which notes to pop)...