PDA

View Full Version : Question on S.U.B basses

Radiobass81
10-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Could I get a Precision tone out of one? Or, atleast, a very thick, meaty, boomy tone?

I only played one VERY briefly...

Tryxx
10-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I think you'll be very close to replicating a Stingray, and that was designed to do everything a P did, just better. I think you'll really have to make your own decision on that, or hear some clips. I like the Stingray a bit more than the P at times, though I see the appeal to both. I'd have to say the S.U.B will have the attitude of the P, but it won't' be as thick. More of a "Boom, pop." kind of thing.

Radiobass81
10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Bleh, I don't like "pop" :(...

Tryxx
10-29-2005, 01:04 PM
I mean, Stingray's are said to define the slap tone, so their attack is a bit quicker. That's where I'm taking that from. It would hurt to listen to some Chili Peppers for that. Though a lot of bands use them now, so they have a lot more tone. I haven't played with the EQ much on them because I liked what it did originally.

*Waits for Edge*

edgebass5
10-29-2005, 01:08 PM
To me at least, the a Precision tone is all about bottom end, whereas a Stingray tone is more about mids. The Stingray was designed in such a way (specifically the pickup placement and large exposed pole pieces) to bring in more mids and more attack for bassists back in the 70's.

So, to me, no the tone you're looking for isn't really accessible (not with any ease that is) through a stingray type bass.

Radiobass81
10-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Edge, now that you are here:

Really, you say it a lot, but I just CANNOT see how the P and the MM pickup, both in the sweet spot, overlap each other. I just can't see it. The MM should be right next to the P, but I don't see them overlapping.

Tryxx
10-29-2005, 01:13 PM
That makes sense, that explains a lot where that "pop" comes from. Could you with some sort of equalizer cut the mids, and basically redefine the tone with bottom end? It just seems like if you take out what it's made for you can kind of re-do it with just the mid presence there.

I am SUCH a forum stalker. :p
Chris, is there any new ETA's? *Holds banstick menancingly*

LewsTherin
10-29-2005, 01:23 PM

Really, you say it a lot, but I just CANNOT see how the P and the MM pickup, both in the sweet spot, overlap each other. I just can't see it. The MM should be right next to the P, but I don't see them overlapping.

I think like half of the rear coil would overlap with the front coil on the MM.

I looked at my P-Bass the other day and tried to figure it out, and came to that conclusion.

bass&cookies
10-29-2005, 03:19 PM
with the right eqing you can get really close. you would have to get an active one to do that

edgebass5
10-29-2005, 03:38 PM

Well, look at it this way. The sweet spot for a P pickup is dead center between the base of the neck pocket and the bridge. The sweet spot for an MM pickup is like a typical bridge pickup on a jazz bass, but moved closer to the neck. They do in fact overlap.

This fact is backed up by Brian Garrett at Warmoth Guitar Products. If anybody would know, it would be him.

WHoRRID
10-29-2005, 04:10 PM
look at a american deluxe p-bass then a 'ray or in this case a sub. That proved it for me, as the MM pup is a little closer to the neck and is wider.

now a bongo MM might fit but im not sure as to that. any 1 know?

Radiobass81
10-29-2005, 04:34 PM
^^ In both cases, both pickups are not in their own sweet spot, though.

I just remembered "Another one bites the dust" was recorded with a Stingray. That has a pretty bottom... Hmm...

LewsTherin
10-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Well, look at it this way. The sweet spot for a P pickup is dead center between the base of the neck pocket and the bridge. The sweet spot for an MM pickup is like a typical bridge pickup on a jazz bass, but moved closer to the neck. They do in fact overlap.

This fact is backed up by Brian Garrett at Warmoth Guitar Products. If anybody would know, it would be him.

isnt the MM sweet spot somewhere around being in between the 2 pups on a jazz bass? ive always figured it was, although i may be wrong.

bass&cookies
10-29-2005, 09:48 PM
isnt the MM sweet spot somewhere around being in between the 2 pups on a jazz bass? ive always figured it was, although i may be wrong.
its about there

Jaded
10-29-2005, 09:56 PM

I just remembered "Another one bites the dust" was recorded with a Stingray. That has a pretty bottom... Hmm...
Remember, you still have amp eq and outboard preamps you can use. I can get tons of sounds out of my Stingray.

TurnOnTheLight
10-30-2005, 12:05 AM
Gotta question about SUBs too... are all of them made with different materials? I played 2 at Guitar Center last month, one was medium heavy and the other was heavier than my friends old Fender Telebass Custom. Just wondering.

bass&cookies
10-30-2005, 12:24 AM
was one passive and one active? a 4 and a 5?

IPolkaLikeThis!
10-30-2005, 01:53 AM

:lol: :thumb:

Phalanx
10-30-2005, 06:15 AM
I wasn't very impressed with the one I played, it had an ok sound but the actual feel of the instrument was rubbish, cardboard scratch plate, a rought black neck and some yucky paint job. I'd save your money and get something better

Radiobass81
10-30-2005, 07:10 AM
^^ I don't mind the feel, I like the pickguard (look-wise). The paint job didn't look to bad, I think... :-/

Xntric_Steve
10-30-2005, 07:56 AM
I have a S.U.B and i love it but really you should try one out and play with it thats really the only way you will find out if you should ge one.

Chris K
10-30-2005, 08:05 AM
I think SUB's are really naff basses...

Stingrays, some are bad, some are great, but hey, it's an expsensive game of hit or miss you play if you buy Stingray...

Really though, nothing with the SUB impressed me, it didn't have that ballsy, beefy tone, it looked ugly and well, it was crap.

twopelu
10-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Im gettin more and more interested on Deluxe Ps... that sweet split coil + humb in the bridge.

Kibuddy
10-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Stingrays, some are bad, some are great, but hey, it's an expsensive game of hit or miss you play if you buy Stingray...

I beg to differ. EBMM is famous for the quality of their instruments. I'd be VERY suprised to find a Stingray that got out of their factory in bad shape.

Keepitcoolidge
10-30-2005, 09:45 AM
Its a good bass for the money, but i'f I were you, I would just save up a little longer and get the really thing.

Chris K
10-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I beg to differ. EBMM is famous for the quality of their instruments. I'd be VERY suprised to find a Stingray that got out of their factory in bad shape.

Not bad shape, just "wow" factor. Some I play, and the tone doesn't really hit me, it just doesn't have that magic, but some do, I find, some just sound sweet and play really well.

I always make sure I play them through the same Ampegs and Trace Elliots in respective shops just to make sure it's not the amp that causes that...

Homelesshero
10-30-2005, 01:07 PM
my friend really likes the tone i get from my stingray and wanted to get it from his p-bass and we tried every possible EQ setting trying to get the tone but we couldnt. now this is a p trying to sound like a stingray, but im sure the pickups have alot to do with tone, and a p-bass pickup doesnt quite sound the same as a stingray's pickup.

bass&cookies
10-30-2005, 03:00 PM
Not bad shape, just "wow" factor. Some I play, and the tone doesn't really hit me, it just doesn't have that magic, but some do, I find, some just sound sweet and play really well.

I always make sure I play them through the same Ampegs and Trace Elliots in respective shops just to make sure it's not the amp that causes that...
i noticed this too, but then realized i had the eq backwards. :p

Chris K
10-30-2005, 03:45 PM
i noticed this too, but then realized i had the eq backwards. :p

heh...it's not an EQ thing...

Jaded
10-30-2005, 07:37 PM
I think SUB's are really naff basses...

Really though, nothing with the SUB impressed me, it didn't have that ballsy, beefy tone, it looked ugly and well, it was crap.
You couldn't be more wrong.

BigBossBassist
10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
Well... I own a SUB and I can get a pretty wide variety of tones on it... especially a really beefy, bassy tone if thats what you're looking for. So if you're thinking about getting one make sure when you play it you screw around with the E.Q. on both the bass and the amp. But thats just my opinion.