PDA

View Full Version : New Track - Jesus of Suburbia (Preview)

DWJK
10-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Here's a 24 second clip of the song I'm working on

This time all the instrumental is going to be played

I recorded everything on the preview. Guitars were double tracked, drums played all the way through

I'll post the full version when as soon as I can borrow my friends acoustic

It's an awesome/epic song and the new video's pretty good too (Can't wait for the full 14-minute short film version coming out November 4th)

I couldn't nail Tre's solos completely so I watered them down a bit :upset: But I'll probabaly redo them and make them a bit flashier.

oh and if you know anyone who can sing, has decent recoding gear and is willing to do the part(s) for this song, please say. Same thing goes for bass

so, here it is and enjoy. http://www.dwjk.net/JOS(Preview).mp3

Tim
10-28-2005, 10:40 PM
I couldn't nail Tre's solos completely

im not gonna flame you but you might wanna be prepared

DWJK
10-28-2005, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I dont care either way, though

Tim
10-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks, but I don't cry over the internet :thumb:

good:D

The Fiction We Live
10-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Your drums sound great!

RichHunt
10-28-2005, 11:16 PM
That's pretty sweet man. The drums sound like a really decent home recording, not studio quality but I wasn't expecting it anyway. :)

Great drumming as always DWJK.. haven't seen you around here in a while. Is this a Green Day song?

DWJK
10-28-2005, 11:31 PM
thanks and yeah, I haven't been posting recently. Sorta forgot about this board

And yeah, it's a green day song.

[hopefully] the song will sound more complete w/ bass and other little overdubs I'm going to add here and there

Brokensticks
10-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Its a good song. I'm not going to bother to listen until it's all done though. And what part do you mean by solos? Do you mean in the first maybe minute of the song? With a little practise it should be easy to get.

DWJK
10-29-2005, 01:36 AM
Yeah, the 4 little drum features from the transitition from 'Jesus of Suburbia' to 'City of The Damned'.

and I honestly don't put much effort into learning fills to the exact note. but I enjoy a challenge.

yourstruly
10-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Sounds pretty good, the sound quality was better than I expected.

blujelly
10-29-2005, 04:19 AM
wow thats well good, your kit sounds so funking sexy!

Murd_666
10-29-2005, 08:26 AM
What do you use to record? Damn thats nice home studio quality, also what kind of set do you have, sounds awsome.I couldn't nail Tre's solos completely so I watered them down a bit But I'll probabaly redo them and make them a bit flashier.
I Probably couldn't do it either.

[Fonya]
10-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Are you a fag? Who cares?

Dookiedude3005
10-29-2005, 09:54 AM
learn the actual drum fills! They are so fun, they sound really hard to all the newbs and anyone else who doesn't know about drums(perfect song because everybody knows this song but if you bust out paradigm shift or moby dick, know one has any idea what your playing....distressing really.) Drums sound good though:thumb: , i wish i had mics. If i did i'd be putting stuff on here all the time.

What drums do you have?

-TheGlassPrison-
10-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Are you a fag? Who cares?

STFU.

Anyways, nice job.. i love the sound of your kit!

zachcrash
10-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Sounds real good. What gear are you useing for recording?

[Fonya]
10-29-2005, 04:11 PM
STFU.

Anyways, nice job.. i love the sound of your kit!

Honestly, who says prepared to get flamed. Do you think he really cares?

rockindrummer
10-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Nice man, you kit sounded really great.

RushHourSoul
10-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Very nice recording, drum sound is awesome. Got any other stuff to post up? I always liked hearing your jamming tracks before.

DWJK
10-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. it was recorded on Pro Tools w/ a HD|2 w/ a C|24. Big Ben for clocking, MD 421's on the toms, SM 57 top/bottom on snare, Ksm32's on the overheads, Ksm 141 on the hi hat, D112 on the kick (recorded w/o the reso)

Until I post the full jesus of suburbia which I cant wait to finish, here's Nice To Know You w/ just me and the guitar track. I've posted many versions of my playing this song so it shouldnt be anything special, but I'd say it has to be the best sound I've ever got out of my kit by far.

and as far as the playing goes, it wasn't as tight as I wanted it to be and I lost the groove on some of the fills during the pre-chorus.

check it out,

http://www.dwjk.net/Incubus_(W-Mikey_&_Jeff)_-_Nice_To_Know_You_(Final).mp3

First minute or so is silence and a few little drums tests, feel free to skip it

EDIT: Also, I recorded the same deal w/ Bulls on Parade by RATM. One of my favorite songs.. ever.

Also got a killer drum sound on this one.

http://www.dwjk.net/bop.mp3

RushHourSoul
10-29-2005, 04:39 PM
That sounds... AWESOME

Nice playing, and production work. Are you looking to go down that career pathway when your older? You definatly have some skills in that area.

you've inspired me to start playing Incubus again, haha.

Rayne264
10-29-2005, 04:47 PM
your drums sound really solid. i think ill learn jesus of surburbia, it sounded pretty fun to play actually

and good work on the other two songs

yourstruly
10-29-2005, 05:32 PM
All those recordings are so rad, i really feel like playing those songs now, if
I only I had drum sticks...:'(

rockindrummer
10-29-2005, 05:40 PM
bulls on parade was awsome man. I really like that song, and you did it really nicely, great drum sound too.

What are the specs on you kit? Also what is your head set-up?

RichHunt
10-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Most of that's cool but I'm not liking your snare tone. It sounds good for drummers to hear I reckon but I don't think the general public will like it too much, sticks out too much.

Oh well, sounds rad, I'd love to have a play of your kit. :D

funky_penguin3
10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
That sounds really great! Keep it up!

Half Life
10-29-2005, 09:48 PM
Nice work man. You did a good job with the JOS. I was kind of confused at first but then I realized you started in like the middle of the song so yeah, silly me :lol: I liked your own interpretation of Tre's little solo. Nice work :thumb: Did you play along with a click or no?

Chipwich88
10-29-2005, 09:50 PM
how come you can hear the vocals faintly on nice to know you?

and the guitar and drum and bass tones are exactly the same? that must be some crazy gear you guys have or something... I dont hope I have to declare shenanigans....

(gets broom ready)

RichHunt
10-29-2005, 10:07 PM
I think he just takes out certain parts of the songs that he can grab (with some songs you can extract the guitars, vocals, etc.) so maybe some vocals or extra vocals feed over into the ones he extracted.

Chipwich88
10-29-2005, 10:10 PM
nvm... no shenanigans (puts broom away)

Half Life
10-29-2005, 10:16 PM
^So you're saying he didn't play them? I'd say he did. The "Nice to Know You" cover sounds legit and he didn't play the short drum solo thing in JOS exactly like Tre' does on the actual recording so yeah, I'm sure he played them.

Chipwich88
10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
the testing before nice to know you sounds legit, but after that it sounds like he just brought up the drums in the eq and used a vocal zapper to get rid of the melody. also someone who cant play the drum fills in jesus of suburbia can thoroughly play through the other two songs? and if he really did do this, he's not helping himself by leaving in parts of the vocals really clearly

Half Life
10-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Listen to the part between 4:20 and 4:58 in the "Nice to Know You" cover. That interlude part doesn't sound exactly like what was recorded for the actual album, which leads me to believe DWJK played it himself. I don't think he's being cheeky trying to fake us all out.

DWJK
10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
the testing before nice to know you sounds legit, but after that it sounds like he just brought up the drums in the eq and used a vocal zapper to get rid of the melody. also someone who cant play the drum fills in jesus of suburbia can thoroughly play through the other two songs? and if he really did do this, he's not helping himself by leaving in parts of the vocals really clearly

NTKY and BOP aren't nearly as challenging as those 4 1-bar drum feature. I'm alot better at groove and independence; chops really aren't my thing.

I take the stereo parts of each of the songs which is usually contains:
- RVerb from the vocals
- Drum room mics
- Toms
- Guitars (Loudest)

So you can usually hear some vocals or whatever in the tracks i post (With the exception of JoS, which I recorded original).

the drum tones/fills aren't the same, either. You can't mix/EQ certain instruments in a song after it's done. If there is some way, I dont know how. I played some of the fills differently on Bulls on Parade, most noteably the big roll at the end. I was hitting the hi-hat during the wah-wah part after the solo, my snare has alot more reverb than Brads, the list goes on..

And on nice to know you there's a bunch of **** I played differently than Jose. 4:33, I messed up and dragged a bit on the splash fill. You just need to listen for it.

Please, clean your ears out and listen before you start calling me a phoney. Thanks for the compliments though, I'm trying my best to get my drums to sound album quality :thumb:

yourstruly
10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
thanks for straightening that out, didn't doubt you for a second.

Chipwich88
10-29-2005, 10:43 PM
fine, fine... for the record though, vocal zappers work pretty much like how much you filtered out the melody and if you run that new signal into a program such as cool edit pro/adobe audition the power drums settings would create a similar expanse but ill concede on this one.

just out there though, why the extra names (i.e. Nice to know you with Jeff and Mieky) what parts did they do? Mike Eingzigier and Tom Morrello have really distinctly unique sounds that you really cant attain with out spending HUGE $$$ on gear and you certainly dont need two people doing bass parts.

Half Life
10-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Well now that we've all been reassured of DWJK's talents, let me say that the Incubus cover was awesome. I really enjoyed it(seeing that I'm a fan of the band). You played it really well :thumb: How long you been playing man? Sounds like you know what your doing behind the kit :cool:

RichHunt
10-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Chipwhich you could've easily been able to tell that nice to know you wasn't a phony. Especially with that snare sound.

DWJK
10-29-2005, 11:06 PM
fine, fine... for the record though, vocal zappers work pretty much like how much you filtered out the melody and if you run that new signal into a program such as cool edit pro/adobe audition the power drums settings would create a similar expanse but ill concede on this one.

just out there though, why the extra names (i.e. Nice to know you with Jeff and Mieky) what parts did they do? Mike Eingzigier and Tom Morrello have really distinctly unique sounds that you really cant attain with out spending HUGE $$$ on gear and you certainly dont need two people doing bass parts.

Mikey = Mike Einziger

Tom = (You're not going to believe this) Tom Morello

DWJK
10-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Nice work man. You did a good job with the JOS. I was kind of confused at first but then I realized you started in like the middle of the song so yeah, silly me :lol: I liked your own interpretation of Tre's little solo. Nice work :thumb: Did you play along with a click or no?

Thanks HalfLife I've been playing for 4 years this january. And I never play with a click. :(

DWJK
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
bulls on parade was awsome man. I really like that song, and you did it really nicely, great drum sound too.

What are the specs on you kit? Also what is your head set-up?

DW Maple Collectors, 10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 22 Kick in Blue Oyster Swirl, 14 Snare in a Tobbaco finish.

Powerstroke 4 on the kick, stock DW head for the reso (Which I never use to record). DW pillow touching the head, tuned pretty slack. DW 5000 pedal w/ a falam slam

Clear Emps on the tom batter, Clear Ambassadors on the resos

I used a Coated CS ambassdor on the snare on most of the recording, but I switch between just a normal ambassador from time to time. Subtle tonal difference

All my heads on all the recordings I posted are shot to ****. I haven't replaced them in well over 6 months. Since I'm not recording or getting paid to do any of this, I dont really see the reason, lol.

As for hardware: A black/grey, older Pork Pie Throne, Pearl Eliminator Hi-Hat Stand, Pearl Icon rack w/ various cymbal stands (Pacific, Gibraltar, etc..)

Cymbals:
6, 8, 10" A Custom Splash
17" A Custom Projection Crash
18" K Custom Fast Crash
20" K Ride
18" A China High
15" A Custom Crash
13" A Custom Hats

I used a Remo O-Ring on the snare during the jesus of suburbia recoridng, also.

While I'm finishing Jesus, anyone have a request? :)

Chipwich88
10-29-2005, 11:18 PM
^ holy crap

ok... those DW specs impress me too much, that could very well be you on the recordings

Half Life
10-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks HalfLife I've been playing for 4 years this january. And I never play with a click.

^Cool man :cool: I guess we both need to be slapped. I'm going on over 2 and a 1/2 and I never play with a click either :eek:

DWJK
11-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Still waiting on a bass to finish Jesus.

In the meantime I recorded Praise Chorus by Jimmy Eat World. It's a really fun song to play, espcially the little bridge back into the verse after the chorus. It's a pretty repeatative song, but in a song like this, the drums aren't really the center attention. It's an awesome song to play, go learn it and try it out.

Drums came out pretty nicely on the track. Turn up your speakers cause the tracks not too loud.

http://www.dwjk.net/PC.mp3

RushHourSoul
11-06-2005, 06:18 PM
I've got a request: Sick Sad Little World by Incubus :cool:

RushHourSoul
11-06-2005, 06:20 PM

I don't think theres such things as vocal zappers, I mean the vocal frequencies are mixed with everything else in the midish range, and you can't edit the actual tracks once its been compressed, only the frequency ranges. So you couldn't seperate the vocals from anything else, unless it was heavily panned.

DWJK
11-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Already did it

http://www.dwjk.net/SSLW.mp3

Enjoy :thumb:

DWJK
11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
2 Redos of songs I've already done

The Warmth (Incubus), and Holiday (Green Day, REALLY fun song to play).

http://www.dwjk.net/THEWARMTH.mp3
http://www.dwjk.net/holiday.mp3

Again turn up your speakers, I didn't intend for them to come out really loud

GreenMaiden
11-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Woah!!!!..That Sounds Amazing! Good work..
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
You've Inspired me to Learn that song now, Sounds Awesome,
Cheers.
GreenMaiden

Shu
11-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Hehe i remember you from a whille ago, when u first posted the warmth and few other songs.. i still remember your dw.. and sorta inspired my setup atm.
anywho..
Great stuff..