PDA

View Full Version : After 1-2 years of playing, what kind of things were you capable to doing?

scorpion990
10-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Just wondering. I want to see how I'm progressing. Thanks.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 10:29 PM
I've been playing a year and a half and I can do alot... I'm dying to put a recording up, if I get into the band I tried out for I'll play a solo/groove at the studio with a big *** awsome pro kit and I'll show you :thumb:

Well just to give you an idea, I'm working on my teacher with polyrhthymic triplets and pretty much just grooving kind of hard to tell you everything I do, better if I show you.

Hammerheart
10-28-2005, 10:34 PM
I've been playing a year and 1/4 and I really suck

but maybe my standards are just set to high.

GooseFilms.net
10-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Almost 2 years now, playing with my band for about 3 months. Most people don't believe me when I say I've been playing just under 2 years, but most people also don't really know anything about drumming, so I take comments like that (especially from non-drummers) with a grain of salt.
Concentrating mainly on double bass (technique and speed) and hand technique.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I tell people that I've been playing for mad short and they think I suck, when I auditioned for the band, the thought I was going to suck since I played for a year and half but the bassist(my friend) kept insisting I was good, so we played and they loved me the only thing he didn't like he told me which was I sped up after a fill(I tried to use as many peices I missed a beat then I sped up to make up the time... Yeah, I don't count when I improv), but I had good ideas, and my Bruford/Peart/Bonham influences came through and the "leader" noticed the peart licks(should I say lick) I did(simple one, the first phrase in flight by night only with different drums used same rhythm though)

The Fiction We Live
10-28-2005, 10:59 PM
I've been playing a month and a half and I can do alot... I'm dying to put a recording up, if I get into the band I tried out for I'll play a solo/groove at the studio with a big *** awsome pro kit and I'll show you :thumb:

Well just to give you an idea, I'm working on my teacher with polyrhthymic triplets and pretty much just grooving kind of hard to tell you everything I do, better if I show you.

Month and a half and you're already doing polyrythems?

darkevent89
10-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Been playing for 1 year and 10 months. Almost 2 years I guess. And today at my drumlessons, my teacher gave me Con-Fusion by Steve Gadd. I was so dam happy to see that and not another snare solo. It's so much fun to play too.

styler
10-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I tell people that I've been playing for mad short and they think I suck, when I auditioned for the band, the thought I was going to suck since I played for a year and half but the bassist(my friend) kept insisting I was good, so we played and they loved me the only thing he didn't like he told me which was I sped up after a fill(I tried to use as many peices I missed a beat then I sped up to make up the time... Yeah, I don't count when I improv), but I had good ideas, and my Bruford/Peart/Bonham influences came through and the "leader" noticed the peart licks(should I say lick) I did(simple one, the first phrase in flight by night only with different drums used same rhythm though)

can you friggen decide how long youve been playing?earlier in the thread you said youd been playing for a month and a half, and in another thread you said youd been playing for 7 years

Corkofski
10-29-2005, 02:21 AM
ive now been playing for exactly a year this weekend!!
i just jam out to whatever, im working on more complex bass drum stuff with my teacher, and some latin grooves, like the below:
RC = Ride, Rim = rimclick on snare, BD = Bassdrum
HHF= hihat foot
---|1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a|
RC |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
RIM|o--o--o---o--o--|
BD |o--oo--oo--oo--o|
HHF|--x---x---x---x-|

darkevent89
10-29-2005, 02:55 AM
^ I think that's the Bossa Nova groove.

Corkofski
10-29-2005, 02:57 AM
something like that...

darkevent89
10-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Wait, no that's not the bossa nova. the bossa nova is a little different.

jackson111
10-29-2005, 03:40 AM
hay does anyone here think there kinda good at guitar?¿

filth and fury
10-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Since most people in this thread are supposedly the ownage, I've been playing around a year, and..

I SUCK BALLS.

jackson111
10-29-2005, 03:42 AM
haloooooooooooooooo

Hoofer
10-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Surely what Corkofski put up IS the Bossa Nova groove. What do you think the BN groove is then, darkevent?? And I'd also like to know what people can do after about 2 years. Not what you're working on now. What have you all mastered so far?

DxRocker
10-29-2005, 05:45 AM
Not what you're working on now. What have you all mastered so far?

There is just no way of describing that man. Just do your best. :D

For the record: nobody will EVER master ANYTHING. If you say you mastered a certain thing, that would mean that you have nothing more to learn in that specific area, wich is just bullocks of the highest degree...

Just do your best and try to learn something new or improve in a certain area every day. That's all what a drummer can do. :D

Corkofski
10-29-2005, 06:00 AM
123^^

blujelly
10-29-2005, 06:06 AM
After 2 years I was just about able to do double bass. Odd time signatures & different fills around the toms & snare drum.

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Month and a half and you're already doing polyrythems?
Year and a half sorry, read my first post

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:29 AM
can you friggen decide how long youve been playing?earlier in the thread you said youd been playing for a month and a half, and in another thread you said youd been playing for 7 years
I never said I was playing for 7 years

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:29 AM
^ I think that's the Bossa Nova groove.
Yeah thats the foot osantio

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:31 AM
There is just no way of describing that man. Just do your best. :D

For the record: nobody will EVER master ANYTHING. If you say you mastered a certain thing, that would mean that you have nothing more to learn in that specific area, wich is just bullocks of the highest degree...

Just do your best and try to learn something new or improve in a certain area every day. That's all what a drummer can do. :D
Not true, I can say I mastered a 4/4 backbeat at like 80 BPM with eigths on the hat and 1 3 bass drum and 2 and 4 snare drum because I can play that with alot of different feels, I can contrast the dynamics and I won't lose time at that tempo, so I have(we probably all have) mastered the most simple backbeat

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:34 AM
hay does anyone here think there kinda good at guitar?
I play and my cousin and the bassist in my band I'm hoping to join(he plays guitar as a primary instrument he just wanted to join the band so he sucked up his pride and played bass) have been playing about the same time as me and they both say I'm better I don't think I am, well I think I'm better then my cousin but I can't even do basic chords with changes in the the bass(top strings) all I really can do is improve any kind of solo(fast or slow/shredding or feel) I can't memorize songs, I just learned my key sigs and notes(so now my bassist has an arguement to say I'm better but I think he can shred faster then me) I guess I'm okay at guitar, but people overrate me... I'm like Kirk Hammet

breakster
10-29-2005, 06:42 AM
well i have been playing seven years and can play alot but i still suck in the greater scheme of things. chances are i could own most of the posters on this thread so far, but im not ready to say im really good or that i can play pretty much anything because there is always more to learn. I thought at two years i was pretty much pro but then since then i have probably gotten 10x better.

Dont try compare yourself to other drummers because some one who has been playing two months could have spent those two months working on a complex latin rhythm and then you will think you suck compared to him even though he can't play anything else. For example i only learned the bossa nova last year - implying that corkofski is on his way to becomming better than me - but then again with all my previous exprerience i nailed the beat on the first try as well as 12 other latin grooves...

that was my rant - not trying to show off, just trying to enlighten you guys. dont compare yourself to others because everyone learns different things at different times. you will probably just end up feeling like a fool because a noob can play something you havnt learned yet.

*no wonder you have so many posts focker... you are allowed write more than one paragraph in one post lol

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:45 AM
well i have been playing seven years and can play alot but i still suck in the greater scheme of things. chances are i could own most of the posters on this thread so far, but im not ready to say im really good or that i can play pretty much anything because there is always more to learn. I thought at two years i was pretty much pro but then since then i have probably gotten 10x better.

Dont try compare yourself to other drummers because some one who has been playing two months could have spent those two months working on a complex latin rhythm and then you will think you suck compared to him even though he can't play anything else. For example i only learned the bossa nova last year - implying that corkofski is on his way to becomming better than me - but then again with all my previous exprerience i nailed the beat on the first try as well as 12 other latin grooves...

that was my rant - not trying to show off, just trying to enlighten you guys. dont compare yourself to others because everyone learns different things at different times. you will probably just end up feeling like a fool because a noob can play something you havnt learned yet.

*no wonder you have so many posts focker... you are allowed write more than one paragraph in one post lol
Genious... Simply genious

breakster
10-29-2005, 07:02 AM
thanks i think

daveplaysdrums
10-29-2005, 07:06 AM
well i have been playing seven years....

etc

etc

Well said. Just, in general. Well said.

innerlo2
10-29-2005, 07:14 AM
lets see.. after 2 years of playing set.. I think I was playing a lot of primus and chili peppers. Also Jazz.

breakster
10-29-2005, 07:20 AM
i approve of your avatar by the way innerlo - great album

straycat101
10-29-2005, 08:56 AM

i am, i played guitar for like 3 years and got my first drumkit last christmas. on guitar right now im working on Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson, and hella Megadeth (rust in Peace).

Byron
10-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Not true, I can say I mastered a 4/4 backbeat at like 80 BPM with eigths on the hat and 1 3 bass drum and 2 and 4 snare drum because I can play that with alot of different feels, I can contrast the dynamics and I won't lose time at that tempo, so I have(we probably all have) mastered the most simple backbeat
I bet someone can do it better than you though so they are further along than you which means you have more to learn, DXRocker is right, you're wrong

breakster
10-29-2005, 09:03 AM
hay does anyone here think there kinda good at guitar?¿

this further proves my point - i can barely play anything on guitar but i did work my bum off for a week and now i can play nothing else matters - doesnt mean im better than someone who cant play it yet.

Drumass
10-29-2005, 09:07 AM
hay does anyone here think there kinda good at guitar?i think im kinda good at guitar..been playing about 2 months.. as for drums i've been playing about 2 years..actually more like 1.5 cuz i got my drumset last april/march.. and i think i should be better than this.. i didnt take lessons. so i cant do fast paraddidles which is weird cuz i can do double strokes.

Futuro
10-29-2005, 09:17 AM
I think I can play a little.... ;)

Murd_666
10-29-2005, 10:32 AM
I've been playing for a year, for about the last 11 months i've played on random rented kits, and on the churches kit, my kit that i got for 225 pwns all urs, jk it sucks, I can't reall y do a lot yet though.

DxRocker
10-29-2005, 10:58 AM
No you don't...

If you "mastered" that beat, then tell me why it sounds 10 times better if Dave Weckle plays that exact same beat on the exact same equipment... :D

nelldog
10-29-2005, 11:07 AM
well when i started it was to go into a punk band so within the first year my speed of both beats and fills where up to notch in the second year i got into a whole lot of church bands, orchestra and some normal rock bands and i found a lot more groove in what i done

Janeway
10-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I learned to play Good Times Bad Times in my early days of the 2nd year.
I dunno...

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 11:19 AM
i think im kinda good at guitar..been playing about 2 months.. as for drums i've been playing about 2 years..actually more like 1.5 cuz i got my drumset last april/march.. and i think i should be better than this.. i didnt take lessons. so i cant do fast paraddidles which is weird cuz i can do double strokes.
I was able to do super fast diddles(still am) even before my teacher, I can do them so that they sound like a drumroll, I was playing them on a practice pad and a drummer in my jazz band goes, "garabage, their all supposed to be even" I go "No, theres an accent every four". These kids get on my nerves!

breakster
10-29-2005, 11:23 AM
getting them even is a skill on its own - you should try it

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 11:30 AM
getting them even is a skill on its own - you should try it
Yeah, I used to do them like that, then someone on the forum flamed me into learning the accents:lol: , I can still do them evenly, but I don't unless I'm on the set

3_times_round
10-29-2005, 01:00 PM
I made these songs up after about 3 1/2 years of playing. Nowhere near my best playing though, as I don't do my best playing in the band.

www.myspace.com/3timesround

I am patching a solo together, but have nowhere to record one

Been playing 4 years now.

rohbit
10-29-2005, 03:18 PM
2 years, just started taking lessons a week ago (had my second lesson today), and the guy teaching me said I've already got good groove, and I keep a good beat (a side effect of playing in a band for 2 years..yes, 2 years), but I honestly suck.

Learning how to do accents right now :P!

aznriceball
10-29-2005, 03:48 PM
i found myself capable keeping time without breaking down crying on stage

Chrysostom
10-29-2005, 04:00 PM
can you friggin' decide how long youve been playing? Earlier in the thread you said you'd been playing for a month and a half, and in another thread you said you'd been playing for 7 years.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

breakster
10-30-2005, 04:16 AM
i found myself capable keeping time without breaking down crying on stage
good to know you've learned to prevent those embarassing moments

Seafroggys
10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
After a yeear I could keep a steady pulse anywhere from 70-140 bpm rock beat, straight eighth notes, basic bass drum stuff (no doubles or anything) and semi-spiffy sixteenth note fills across the drums (not down the toms or anything, but a tad more rudimental). I could play a basic jazz swing as well as several variants on the bossa nova groove, as well as doing basic latin and swing fills, at various tempos. I could play a swing beat at about 180 while maintaining tempo w/o slowing down.

After two years I had widened my birth in rock playing. While my jazz and latin stuff was relatively the same, I could stretch my playable tempos to as slow as 60 to as fast as 170, and I had adopted sixteenth note double hits into my bass drum playing, as well as sextuplet drums fills across the drums fairly easily. ALso rudimentally I was far better, having had 7 months of experience in high school marching band.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I could do pretty much anything. In the universe, that is.

Unless its difficult.

FockerTheLopper
10-30-2005, 09:28 PM
I could do pretty much anything. In the universe, that is.

Unless its difficult.
I knew it was coming, yeah I can do the same thing pretty much. I came up with a paradiddle groove today and my band didn't like it... Damn hardcore kids its going to be so awsome when I leave.

Loyton
10-30-2005, 09:54 PM
I knew it was coming, yeah I can do the same thing pretty much. I came up with a paradiddle groove today and my band didn't like it... Damn hardcore kids its going to be so awsome when I leave.

Try a paradiddle between your right foot, left hand with quarters on the hats. GO. NOW. TRY IT. Tis fun and easy.:thumb: You dont have to thank me, you can just build me a shrine.

breakster
10-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Try a paradiddle between your right foot, left hand with quarters on the hats. GO. NOW. TRY IT. Tis fun and easy.:thumb: You dont have to thank me, you can just build me a shrine.

try do the quarters on with your left foot, and then play every 3rd 16th note with your right hand on the floor tom or ride. but build the shrine to loyton anyway - that would be funny.

letsdancedrums
10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
I've been playing for about year too. I took a 2 month break which REALLY slowed me down, and I didn't realize how much u can forget. But that was a couple months ago and now im a lot better than I was... And I'm not that good... I mean I know a couple basic beats and I can fill really fast but I don't concentrate on learning new beats. Anybody know a site or something where I can learn some new ones? I wanna get a lot better....

Music rockS
10-31-2005, 03:04 PM
Surely what Corkofski put up IS the Bossa Nova groove. What do you think the BN groove is then, darkevent?? And I'd also like to know what people can do after about 2 years. Not what you're working on now. What have you all mastered so far?
Surley it is not. It has a Bossa Nova foot pattern. Thats pretty much where the similarities end.

Myself, I am not at where I would like to be. I also dont play close to enough to be there, but I enjoy life, so yay.

I'd just like to say. It isn't what you play. Its how you play it.

UFlip
10-31-2005, 04:58 PM
I've been playing for about 8 months, but almost always all by myself. I can do rhythms with snare on 2 and 4 fine. I'd say what I'm stumped on now is Around the World by RHCP, I can play their easier stuff, like Scar Tissue. (although my version has a surprising lack of any fills, it's so good!) Of course it doesn't sound like Weckl, (although my kit is so crap, that with the same equipment he might break down and cry) but it keeps the beat of the song. I can kind of keep down a swing beat, although it sounds like a very rusty squeaky swing. My fills are rather crap, I have to admit.

A prediction would be that it would take me about 20 tries to get the bossa nova beat posted before without huge mistakes.

Once I've learned something it becomes easy, and to learn something I have to see it written down. My philosophy is that there is nothing you can't slow down enough to learn bit by bit.

chickensandwiches
10-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Im sad i wish i had a teacher...id be a lot better if i had one, and to add on to the hurt, the only drummers at my school are gay butt-rockers that only wanna learn slipknot songs...

its just shameful. all i can do is buy books and try to understand them as best as i can. im trying to learn shuffles but its a little hard to read them and know what they sound like but i guess im not bad for playing a yr w/o any teacher or formal training.

i mostly just make stuff up as i go and then later find out what it actually is.
anyways id consider my self passing for a year

2112drummer
10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
I've been playing for 2 years in November and i can do surprisingly a lot. Right now i'm trying to focus on Double Bassing and Soloing but i find that i can keep a rhythm and i have developed good limb independance. As for songs, I can play most of YYZ as well as various parts of other Rush tunes. Green Day stuff comes pretty easy to me, but i'm always trying to play stuff that challenges me.

rohbit
10-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Im sad i wish i had a teacher...id be a lot better if i had one, and to add on to the hurt, the only drummers at my school are gay butt-rockers that only wanna learn slipknot songs...

its just shameful. all i can do is buy books and try to understand them as best as i can. im trying to learn shuffles but its a little hard to read them and know what they sound like but i guess im not bad for playing a yr w/o any teacher or formal training.

i mostly just make stuff up as i go and then later find out what it actually is.
anyways id consider my self passing for a year

I know how you feel man. I was just like you (played 2 years without a teacher, and just started going for classes now) You know what you should work on? Just getting a good groove down. Try to get into a band with beginners. It'll help your drumming alot as they will play relatively simple songs and you can learn the most likely simple drumming for said songs.

Eventually, try to get a teacher. It's AMAZING how much just 1/2 an hour a week can help your drumming. I just started learning how to play accents on the snare and I'm loving it! The best thing is that since I've been playing for 2 years already, I can see how the rudiments apply to the kit, and I've been thinking of ways to do just that. I guess when you first start off, it can be really boring to just play rudiments endlessley, but those extra two years that you learn yourself and play what you want can actually help.

However, you do pick up some bad habbits :P... (I found out I was holding my sticks a little too loosely).

It's good that you're playing from a book too. I'm trying to get a copy of stick control, but the freakin store I ordered it from doesn't have it!!

Cheers to you, my self taught brother. :thumb:

keeferz
11-28-2005, 09:40 AM

I'm sorry could you take your head out of your own a$$ for 5 minutes and realise how dumb you sound spouting off how good you supposedly are in every single thread. Who cares. Playing is playing.
Bragging about it on an online forum doesn't make you any better.

an_original_name
11-28-2005, 09:59 AM
after a year and 10 days of playing i passed my grade 3 with 4 marks short of honours, after 2 years of playing i was going to take my grade 5 but my dumb school cocked up the entry form so i couldnt take it.

Sep
11-28-2005, 10:15 AM
I've been playing for about 2 years and 2 months and I just finished my second grade 8 song with my teacher. I still need to work at my rudiments as I feel I'm quite lacking in that area. I'm starting to get used to playing in difficult time signatures such as 5/4 and 7/4. I know basic beats from quite a few styles of drumming and would say I'd be quite a decent punk/rock drummer.

SkaRabbit
11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
i learnt how to shut the guitarist up with drum sticks!

oliv_da_skinmasher
11-28-2005, 01:21 PM
yeah make them eat some

CasB
11-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I could drink more and more beer :p Or maybe that just was because our band hangs out a lot :p

Tommy-r
11-28-2005, 01:42 PM
after a year and 10 days of playing i passed my grade 3 with 4 marks short of honours, after 2 years of playing i was going to take my grade 5 but my dumb school cocked up the entry form so i couldnt take it.

What is all this grade stuff? I've been playing for 12 years know and I've never had to take one :confused:

EdBanger
11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
To the threadstarter....
I know that you want see how good people are after 1-2 years however people progress at different rates and develop better in other things better than others.
You should tell us how good you've gotten so that people can help you.

isp_of_doom
11-28-2005, 05:42 PM
I havent read all the thread, but I've played since Feb last year (2004). At the moment Im working on a few things:

In priority order
1) Getting adicted to rudiments... I feel once I have myself sitting down at a practice pad doing rudiments for 30+ mins a day I'll be on track to improving... As yet I am un-adicted.

2) I'm focusing a lot on working to a relatively slowish metronome (100-150bpm) getting heel-toe smooth and natural.

3)getting bonham (sp?) triplets, and Portnoy 16th's.

4) Various parts of the dance of eternity, like the cross-sticking pattern on the hi hat, the double bass+ride cymbal pattern among others.

thats roughly where I am at, I also work on a practice plan Josiah wrote up for me a while back. I also play along to a few Rush songs, for the stamina/speed they provide. But I dont dedicate my time to learning them, if I've learnt them satisfactorily by ear then Ill play to them.