PDA

View Full Version : Type O Negative

Flynn
10-28-2005, 10:11 PM
I have been posting here for almost 2 years now and haven't seen one Type O Negative thread! Come on people! There's gotta be more Type O fans out there. This is the thread to discuss. Here's a bio of the band:

''Type O Negative began their career with the 1991 Roadrunner release Slow, Deep and Hard, followed by the luridly titled Origin of the Feces (complete with the appropiately scatological and controversial cover) in 1992. Both records showcase the lush "orchestral metal" musicality and fascinating, hard-to-peg inner workings of singer/bassist Peter Steele's mind, not to mention the his oft-misconstructed political leanings and views about the "fairer sex." Ultimately, though, Steele feels it was Bloody Kisses where the band truly came into it's own, melding the melody, lyrics and heaviness found in songs like "Blood & Fire" into a uniquely signature sound that has inspired fanatical fans ranging from white-skinned vampire wannabees to prog-rock metal bands not to mention raves from hard-to-impress critics at Alternative Press, Rolling Stone and Billboard.
But that was just the beginning for Type O Negative...

Type O Negative took a provocative approach on October Rust, the highly anticipated follow-up to their gold-certified third album Bloody Kisses, which spawned the hits "Black No. 1" and "Christian Woman" and earned the quartet slots on tours ranging from NIN to Queensryche. "We really came into our own with our last album; we found our style" explains Steele. Not that we set any limitations on the new album, we simply feel this is the logical continuation from Bloody Kisses, unlike Slow, Deep and Hard to Bloody Kisses which was really, really different.

October Rust, produced by Steele and keyboardist Josh Silver, was recorded in early 1996 at Systems Two Studios, with Mike Marciano engineering. October Rust marks drummer John Kelly's recording debut with the band although he joined in 1993, just after the release of Bloody Kisses. Type O Negative's diverse yet compatible personalities make the Brooklyn boys as compelling and entertaining on stage as off. Guitarist Kenny Hickey, a founding member of TON, has an aggressive playing style and almost intimidating personality that perfectly suits the band's varied textures and appeal. Josh Silver, his hair flying as he pounds the keyboards onstage, is quite a different character offstage: A self-proclaimed "paranoid schizophrenic hermit."

''Unlike many bands, Type O Negative write prolifically on the road, and lyricist/songwriter Steele penned nearly 80 percent of the material on a Yamaha keyboard in the back of the tour bus. The musical goal was "sonic saturation-as much sonic information as possible," and with the 12 songs on October Rust, intoned in Steele's sensual, resonant voice and realized via the band's tight unique, heavy, and wild musicality, they succeeded. While Bloody Kisses proved to be the breakthrough album for Type O Negative, October Rust will be a follow-through... Steele & Co. are never ones to leave an audience unsatisfied. As for any concerns about topping their last effort, Type O Negative feel no pressure and are fully confident in the textural sounds and memorable moments captured on their third full LP. Earthy, tactile and infused with Pagan influences, fire imagery and salamious sensuality, October Rust is candy for a diabetic world.''

Breakthrough songs:
The Origin Of Feces
Are You Afraid
Hey Pete
Bloody Kisses
Christian Woman
Black no. 1 (Little Miss Scare All)
Too Late:Frozen
Blood And Fire
October Rust
Love You To Death
My Girlfriends Girlfriend
Burnt Flowers Fallen
World Coming Down
Everyone I love Is Dead
World Coming Down
Everything Dies
Pyretta Blaze

Any green people post your thoughts here! :)

Sleeper
10-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I have been meaning to get into this band for sometime now, good thread.

Flynn
10-28-2005, 10:27 PM
They're awesome. Everything they do is decent, if you like the genre. Good original band.

omgwtfboogie
10-28-2005, 10:53 PM
There was a TON thread going a few hours ago.

Spiritofmosa
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Love You To Death sounds like a HIM song.haha.

Killtacular
10-28-2005, 11:09 PM
I had heard a song or two a while back, and tried to get into them. I listened to Bloody Kisses, and despite my initial thoughts of those couple songs I'd heard previously, I didn't really enjoy the album much. Perhaps I should try again, but I deleted it a while back.

Flynn
10-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Bloody Kisses is a nice album, to Type O, it's their legend.

36Dritzlfists
10-29-2005, 02:18 AM
I loved this band when I was going to school. I have their "Least Worst Of" cd. My favorite song has to be "Love you to death" Their version of "cinnamon girl" is great.

Britton
10-29-2005, 02:28 AM
Can some one send me cinnamon girl? that's my favorite Neil Young
song and I would really like to hear the arrangments by Type O

brittonmadcap@yahoo.com

Cain
10-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Where is the bio from?

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:03 AM
Thanks Flynn this sounds really good.

The funny thing is I was just listening to this today

Flynn
10-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks Flynn this sounds really good.

The funny thing is I was just listening to this today

:lol: cool. Do you want some more? If so, let me know. Any band :D

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:10 AM
LoL I don't have really any typo (this gothic girl stole my mix cd about a year ago)

so anything you like would be cool

Flynn
10-29-2005, 03:12 AM
LoL I don't have really any typo (this gothic girl stole my mix cd about a year ago)

so anything you like would be cool

Cool, I'll send you some stuff. Do you have MSN Instant Messenger? If not, get it. I will give you anything. :p

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:13 AM
Okay cool let me go sign up

Flynn
10-29-2005, 03:17 AM
Okay cool let me go sign up

Okay.
Add me: Puritan77@hotmail.com.

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:19 AM
Okay almost done

Flynn
10-29-2005, 03:21 AM
So you're from Texas? I know some people from Fort Worth...

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:22 AM
WTF?

I have to be 18 to chat? okay hold on let me tell them that I'm 18

Yep I'm fromm Tejas

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:28 AM
Hey dude I need to get off the PC i'm having some problems

but I'd like to get into this stuff another time. Thanks for cinnamon
girl.

Talk to you later

Salvation
10-29-2005, 03:36 AM
They're one of my fav bands, I got all their albums. And yes, there was a Type O thread made only yesterday.

Britton
10-29-2005, 03:54 AM
I know I saw this and was like what?

I think there are really like 3 of e'm

one was about amonth back or so

repcak
10-29-2005, 04:29 AM
Type-O-Negative are one of my favourites... last year i listened to Bloody Kisses without a pause. i loved it.... one of the greatest albums out there, each song is great!

Do you know from where the name comes from? its a type of blood: zero negative! therefore Type 0(zero) Negative :D

and you should go to their official homepage and read their biography,their hobbies, etc... its so funny! as far as i can remember the guitarist thinks he is napoleon, is shizophren and is most of the time in a clinic :D

the2stranger
10-29-2005, 04:56 AM
Type-O-Negative are one of my favourites... last year i listened to Bloody Kisses without a pause. i loved it.... one of the greatest albums out there, each song is great!

Do you know from where the name comes from? its a type of blood: zero negative! therefore Type 0(zero) Negative :D

and you should go to their official homepage and read their biography,their hobbies, etc... its so funny! as far as i can remember the guitarist thinks he is napoleon, is shizophren and is most of the time in a clinic :D

the name comes from the bloodtype O, and does not stand for 0 (zero)
type O negative is just a very rare bloodtype.

I have uh... Life is killing me.
it's a decent cd, although I haven't listened to it in ages, I might do so because of this thread :)

The Brad
10-29-2005, 05:42 AM
Why the hell doesn't Slow, Deep and Hard have any "breakthrough" tracks? I've been into Type O Negative for years and I still love all the songs on that album despite the fact that it is basically a Carnivore album with different members and a different name.

Yeah Type O's name is about the blood type. First they were Repulsion, then Subzero, both of the names were taken so someone just went flipping through a phonebook and they came across an ad that read something to the affect of Type O Negative needed so they went with the name.

Tommy-r
10-29-2005, 06:11 AM
lol, I started a thread about them yesterday:P

but yeah, they are one of my favourite bands.
they are releasing a new record the end of this year/early next year I think, can't wait to see them on tour (if they go:P)

36Dritzlfists
10-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I have Type O blood, which is kinda why I have a smile on my face when I listen to Type O Negative.

Britton
10-30-2005, 12:31 AM
lol, I started a thread about them yesterday:P

but yeah, they are one of my favourite bands.
they are releasing a new record the end of this year/early next year I think, can't wait to see them on tour (if they go:P)

I thought that was you

Nostalgia
10-30-2005, 12:35 AM
I like them, I haven't heard much, but I love that christian women song.

Britton
10-30-2005, 12:36 AM
I really like the vocals

Nostalgia
10-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Yea I haven't listend to a lot like I said but does any one think they sound a tad bit like my dying bride.

Britton
10-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Never heard them

repcak
10-30-2005, 03:30 AM
Yea I haven't listend to a lot like I said but does any one think they sound a tad bit like my dying bride.
no, they don't sound like MDB

Nostalgia
10-30-2005, 03:42 AM
Maybe it's more of the mood I'm thinking of less then the sound.

repcak
10-30-2005, 03:49 AM
hm.... no not really. Type-o-negative is funny, sarcastic, ironical - My Dying Bride is doom, depressive, sad...

You can't compare these two bands together, this would be a big mistake

Nostalgia
10-30-2005, 03:51 AM
Yea your probably, right the only stuff I have heard really is christian women, I love the vocals though.

Salvation
10-30-2005, 04:26 AM
I like them, I haven't heard much, but I love that christian women song.
I hope you mean the song from the album and not the video clip.

Nostalgia
10-30-2005, 04:29 AM
I haven't seen the video clip before why? I heard it on comcast's music choice.

Paul H.
10-30-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm Not Really A Fan, But Some of their stuff is good. like bloody kisses and october rust

Neoteric
10-30-2005, 07:01 AM
I love the song Everything Dies

Salvation
10-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I hope you mean the song from the album and not the video clip.
Because they had to edit the song for radio and tv. It's got different lyrics to the album. Didn't matter, the video got banned. :cool:

Tommy-r
10-31-2005, 07:16 AM
^do you have it?

NP: TON - todds ship Gods

Salvation
10-31-2005, 04:41 PM
^do you have it?

NP: TON - todds ship Gods
Do I have the clip? Yeah, its on their DVD. I think only MTV banned it, they bann everything.

Britton
10-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Not everyhting...just the good stuff

The Masked Guitarist
05-06-2006, 09:21 AM
just bumpin up the thread but i liked bloody kisses what else do you recomend?

King B
05-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I have all their albums except the least worst of. I also got their new live dvd a week or two ago. They really give their fans their money's worth, everything they produce is golden. Plus they're entertaining as hell.

Sph
05-07-2006, 05:20 AM
They really give their fans their money's worth, everything they produce is golden. Plus they're entertaining as hell.
You've got that right. Very underrated IMO.

fuzzyhair
07-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I have got to say. I just recently heard this band and they are a riot. The comedy in their music is hilarious. I love how they are all like," 1 2 3 4 I DON'T WANNA LIVE NO MORE!" Then they kick into a nice happy riff.

3FingeredHoek
07-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Great write up!

I love this band. They have a very unique, distinct sound.

heavy metal kid
07-29-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure if they were the ones who played a cover of Highway Star, but it was awesome.

I have World Coming Down, pretty good album.