PDA

View Full Version : Re-stringing to avoid fret noise/clicking?

New Born
10-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Sorry to bother you guys with such a basic question, but I getting a bit frustrated :angry:

The strings on my MIA Fender Jazz are clicking an awful lot against the fretboard whenever I play fingerstyle. I've tried raising the action, but it hasn't helped too much. I've tried changing my fingering technique (playing softer), but that hasn't really helped. Furthermore, I've searched the forums and couldn't find too much information.

I've also asked a friend, who is a bass player, and he has said that stringing your bass in a certain way can remove the clicking altogether...though he didn't actually show me HOW to do this. Is this true? And does anyone else know how to get rid of annoying fret noise?

Thanks in advance.

Thonk
10-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Stringing them a certain way? I would take it to a shop and tell them the problem.

EADG
10-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I have never heard that it will prevent clicking, but you should string your bass from top to bottom on the machine head.

I'm guessing your truss rod should be adjusted, or maybe your pickups are too high and your strings are touching them, but I don't really know. Check that out anyway.
If your bass is set up correctly, the problem must be your technique.

elbassio
10-28-2005, 05:45 PM
Where abouts on the bass do you pluck your strings?closer to the neck or the bridge?

New Born
10-28-2005, 08:02 PM
^Closer to the neck, on the front pickup.

FatalEnergy
10-28-2005, 08:19 PM
The truss rod probably should be adjusted, I had the same problem at one time as well. I also have a technique where I play very aggressively with my fingerers. The clicking never really goes away. You incorperate it into your style

ShetaN bRaT
10-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I had that problem too, all I did was raise the action & it went away. Only problem with that, of course, is if I wanna tap, I'd have to lower it again. I don't like tapping as much anyway.

elbassio
10-29-2005, 05:12 AM
Maybe try changing your position, see if you still get that happening when you play it closer to the bridge. That worked for me, but I used to play right on top of the neck, pretty much.