PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Hawkins...

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 02:49 PM
I don't see why hes in the same catagory as Travis Joey and Lars. I heard some foo fighters on the radio today and to be honest, the drumming was great! Most songs had different things in them, the fillls were clean although they weren't anything special and he isn't overrated by non drummers, am I missing something or do you people just not like him?

Janeway
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Hint: We hate people that make more money than us playing in a band we could have emulated the second year of playing.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Hint: We hate people that make more money than us playing in a band we could have emulated the second year of playing.
Ah... Thats kinda funny.
Pepsi what part of ny you from?

Janeway
10-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Buffalo.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Oh, I'm from brooklyn I was going to ask if you were Nerve play but guess you don't seeing as your so far away

styler
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
its not that we hate him, we just dont respect the fact that hes taking glory for being a decent drummer, when people like dennis chambers and neil peart, or people like that, thomas lang etc. dont get any rep for all the work they put in, i mean travis has enough money to own one of every escalade every made (and he does, plus a mansion, and a supermodel wife), and thomas lang has nothing like that. except for you know..talent...where travis etc are nothing special

3_times_round
10-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Wait... they get NO praise? How come everytime some one mentions Travis, Joey or some one similar people continously go on about Peart or Chambers...

So, Thomas Lang's creative Control DVD is just something he did to watch himself?

They will be well off, so quit your complaining.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah seriously, all the drummers are happy where they are, I'm pretty sure that Thomas Lang is pretty comfortable. Plus its also about being buisnessmen

Janitor
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
I don't care for his feel. It often sounds as if he's just reading the notes from sheet music and he's never heard the song before, I think is the only way I can describe it.

Bone
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Taylor did some nice work with Alannis a few years back.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't care for his feel. It often sounds as if he's just reading the notes from sheet music and he's never heard the song before, I think is the only way I can describe it.
What are you kidding I think that he puts to the most feel, BY FAR into his songs then anyone, you can tell he feels the groove just by the way he crashes his cymbals and plays his snare.

Janeway
10-28-2005, 04:41 PM
What albums did he do with her?

Red Cow
10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
its not that we hate him, we just dont respect the fact that hes taking glory for being a decent drummer, when people like dennis chambers and neil peart, or people like that, thomas lang etc. dont get any rep for all the work they put in, i mean travis has enough money to own one of every escalade every made (and he does, plus a mansion, and a supermodel wife), and thomas lang has nothing like that. except for you know..talent...where travis etc are nothing specialTotaly agree with you man but not bout the cash,its cuz lots of drummers and non drummers think these guys are amazen when in fact there preety generic and seem to rely on personality and being a charcter than a realy good drummer.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Totaly agree with you man but not bout the cash,its cuz lots of drummers and non drummers think these guys are amazen when in fact there preety generic and seem to rely on personality and being a charcter than a realy good drummer.
Oh so you hate Keith Moon for being a personality... Yeah that was a bit offensive, but Hawkins is a drummer and I don't think that I've heard anything about him.(personality wise) As for his drumming its really good, original stuff with feeling

FL3P
10-28-2005, 05:35 PM
I dont know if he played on Alanis' first album but he did the tour and it was different seeing him in that perspective. He went from sort of a finesse/ groove situation to being a basher. As far as the comment about being able to play like him after two years, I doubt thats the case, you must be just judging him from the stuff he does with Foo Fighters.

Laney
10-28-2005, 05:49 PM
I like his haircut :)

rohbit
10-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I dont know if he played on Alanis' first album but he did the tour and it was different seeing him in that perspective. He went from sort of a finesse/ groove situation to being a basher. As far as the comment about being able to play like him after two years, I doubt thats the case, you must be just judging him from the stuff he does with Foo Fighters.

I agree... alot of people make the mistake of judging drummers based on what they play on a record.

After all, not all music requires mad drumming. Mad drumming alone is fine, but when you play with a band, it has to fit.

He has some really nice solid stuff on the foo fighter's dvd "Everywhere but home." The segment in stacked actors is class.

3_times_round
10-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Exactly. I know I don't play my best in my band. Plus, the Foos have been going, what, 8 years? Surely he is a really good drummer, he just plays to keep with the style of the band.

Janitor
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
What are you kidding I think that he puts to the most feel, BY FAR into his songs then anyone, you can tell he feels the groove just by the way he crashes his cymbals and plays his snare.
He's fine live. On albums it can't awful sometimes.

Janeway
10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Hmm..
I like him in Alanis's stuff, especially if it was pre-soccermom hair.
I'm so pissed at her for that.
I sent her an email ranting about it but never got a reply...

Chester
10-28-2005, 07:07 PM
i think hes a decent drummer, nothing really more, some of his stuff is interesting sometimes i guess, but its nothing like mindblowing

drummer172
10-28-2005, 07:20 PM
His drumming is decent, any drummer with any talent could do it but it fits the music very well.

Rayne264
10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
its cuz lots of drummers and non drummers think these guys are amazen
yah, because that's really their fault :rolleyes:

also, learn how to spell.

CombatWombat3
10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
He really is a great drummer, exactly what the foo fighters need I feel. A couple of my friends went to see the foo fighters in Minneapolis, they said he was amazing, along the rest of the band.

officer doofy
10-28-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't see why hes in the same catagory as Travis Joey and Lars. I heard some foo fighters on the radio today and to be honest, the drumming was great! Most songs had different things in them, the fillls were clean although they weren't anything special and he isn't overrated by non drummers, am I missing something or do you people just not like him?
I love taylor hawkins, i felt he was a worthy follow up to DG
^^^^ I went to that concert, in fact i even made a thread about it and it was the best concert ever honest to god no exaggerating

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks he doesn't suck. Well I think hes good, he has great feel.

innerlo2
10-28-2005, 09:22 PM
They are awesome live. One of the best shows I've seen.

Also, he's a REALLY nice guy. I met him the night they played in my town, he was in GC getting some stuff and jammed on a kit for a few minutes. Nobody knew who he was but I talked to him for a while.

Good times.

FockerTheLopper
10-28-2005, 09:25 PM

Also, he's a REALLY nice guy. I met him the night they played in my town, he was in GC getting some stuff and jammed on a kit for a few minutes. Nobody knew who he was but I talked to him for a while.

Good times.
lol, this kid in my school told me saw portnoy at mcdonalds but he was too scared to talk to him. I think he was telling the truth too, hes not one of the liars.

rohbit
10-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Good times.

OMG!!!
You got to talk to taylor..

*rohbit dies*

(btw, I'd kill to meet him :P)

Det_Nosnip
10-28-2005, 11:37 PM

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are of the opinion that Taylor Hawkins puts the most feeling and emotion into his playing....over every single other drummer that has ever picked up a pair of sticks?

Interesting.

styler
10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Wait... they get NO praise? How come everytime some one mentions Travis, Joey or some one similar people continously go on about Peart or Chambers...

So, Thomas Lang's creative Control DVD is just something he did to watch himself?

They will be well off, so quit your complaining.

no, hopefully he did it to teach people about drums, but i mean, the big *** mansions and ****, like someone like barker has, but has a quarter of the talent, and got signed by a big record deal.

i dont doubt lang or peart or chambers are happy, but i think for the dedication and love for what they do i think they deserve more

styler
10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Totaly agree with you man but not bout the cash,its cuz lots of drummers and non drummers think these guys are amazen when in fact there preety generic and seem to rely on personality and being a charcter than a realy good drummer.

^^ bam

styler
10-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Oh so you hate Keith Moon for being a personality... Yeah that was a bit offensive, but Hawkins is a drummer and I don't think that I've heard anything about him.(personality wise) As for his drumming its really good, original stuff with feeling

i dont think anyone would say that, keith moon has Talent AND Showmanship..

sorry bout the three posts btw, i just dont know how to qoute things manually

Bone
10-29-2005, 04:04 AM

Wow.

Even more then say.. Ziggy? or... Clyde? How about Tony?

hrmf.

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are of the opinion that Taylor Hawkins puts the most feeling and emotion into his playing....over every single other drummer that has ever picked up a pair of sticks?

Interesting.
Woops I meant new bands.

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 05:30 AM
sorry bout the three posts btw, i just dont know how to qoute things manually
Neither do I :thumb:

RushHourSoul
10-29-2005, 05:46 AM
I never thought he was anything special, but then I've only heard his Foo Fighters stuff. I hate his technique though eugh.

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 06:51 AM
I never thought he was anything special, but then I've only heard his Foo Fighters stuff. I hate his technique though eugh.
Never seen him play so I wouldn't be able to tell, I hate the Barker/Dolomayan technique, the drummer in my jazz band uses it, when Dolomayan uses it it looks alright because hes always doing straight 16ths but Travis and the kid in my jazz band it just looks akward, I think its like no wrist movement, just arm and finger

styler
10-29-2005, 07:30 AM
^ dolmayan uses it cuz he has everything tilted so much, he has to keep it at such a bad angle that he has to have his arm far out to the side, its impossible to use your fingers from the angle he uses, i think he makes it look good and its all his drumming matches SOAD's songs, but i could never drum like him

EDIT: and travis is just bad technique wise...enough said

FockerTheLopper
10-29-2005, 07:38 AM
^ dolmayan uses it cuz he has everything tilted so much, he has to keep it at such a bad angle that he has to have his arm far out to the side, its impossible to use your fingers from the angle he uses, i think he makes it look good and its all his drumming matches SOAD's songs, but i could never drum like him

EDIT: and travis is just bad technique wise...enough said
Yeah, Dolomayan is awsome, talk about speed, now hes getting double bass chops too, I can see him becoming a giant in a couple of years. He has everything creativity, power, speed, accually he doesn't really have a feel, he plays kind of like a machine but it fits system of a down so perfectly so I guess the mechanical feel is what hes going for, spiders is supposed to groove, I played it unlike him and it sounds nothing like how the song is supposed to sound, so I guess he doesn't groove hugely because the music doesn't call for it

beat_junkie
10-30-2005, 07:38 AM
taylor hawkins is an awesome rock dummer... i like what he does in monkey wrench and best of you...and his drumming on the first track of the new album shows his ability. I dont think you should compare him to dennis chambers or those other guys because they play fusion or instrumental type of stuff where they are entitled to play really showy, and syncopated stuff, etc...taylor hawkins plays just enough and doesnt overdo it...and he has great power too.

MapleX
10-30-2005, 07:52 AM
Yeah I met Taylor after a gig at tottenham court Road, he's a bubbly character, in my opinion he lightens the whole band, not that grohl doesnt do a good job at it but he has hard quite a rough past like seeing some teenage suicide when he was 10 then losing a close friend to drugs and supposed suicide(i'm not gonna argue if it was a conspiracy or not).

I don't think Taylor takes any extra credit for being a good drummer. He's just a down to earth guy who ended up playing for 1 of his idols. The extra fame and money he gets is not because hes a drummer its cos hes from the Foo Fighters... and i don't believe it's easy to write their kind of mainstream stuff with the same level of originality that they manage to pull off so i wouldn't lash out at hawkins. Anyway the foo's tend not to overflow stuido recordings with individual gimicks. But live... if taylor's asked to do a solo i'll gladly watch it. As mentioned his fills arn't usually anything too extraordinary, however his strokes remain clean through any speed he plays at. I can see why more ppl relate to his kind of drumming than say Neil peart's because it's feasible for them to play. Partly cos he doesn't play some kit that could fill 3 garages. When u can drum like Peart its hard not to play over the top. Taylor is a skilled drummer and he is disciplined in terms of what he plays in studio which is probably why not many long term drummers like him.

nelldog
10-30-2005, 08:39 AM
yeah i think we all need to understand that the likes of barker, hawkings, cool and all they are good business men as well think about both these came into their bands at EXACTLY the right time as well, barker came just before enema of the state, hawkins for alanis came in before jagged little pil, and tres cool came in the album before dookie. weither its a fluke or not they also no how to market themselves as well (barker being the main one but both no what ads to do and what to say they have)

falda loves pearl xx
10-30-2005, 09:03 AM
hes not very good and he looks like a jack russel nice guy though lol

innerlo2
10-30-2005, 09:07 AM
^^ Not very good? Some else who bases playing ability on songs done in studios?

Whatever, he's really nice, and he schooled me at GC lol.

styler
10-30-2005, 01:19 PM
yeah i think we all need to understand that the likes of barker, hawkings, cool and all they are good business men as well think about both these came into their bands at EXACTLY the right time as well, barker came just before enema of the state, hawkins for alanis came in before jagged little pil, and tres cool came in the album before dookie. weither its a fluke or not they also no how to market themselves as well (barker being the main one but both no what ads to do and what to say they have)
i dont even think green day had an album out before dookie...and what advertising did barker do..?aside from that living with the barkers thing..and i remember that going downhill rightaway...same with hawkins...they didnt do any advertising...kiss and there drummer did advertising...kiss roc'n'soc condoms...lmao

FL3P
10-30-2005, 02:34 PM
^^ Green Day had two albums out before Dookie.

Rayne264
10-30-2005, 04:17 PM
^^ Green Day had two albums out before Dookie.
this man is correct.

officer doofy
10-30-2005, 05:00 PM

dude your so ****ing lucky, i wish i would get to jam with him, did you get his autograph?

rohbit
10-30-2005, 05:21 PM

Schooled you!?
You got to jam with him!?

More details please.

Motleyguy
10-30-2005, 07:03 PM
on the topic of the foo's being together for 8 years and such. He only played on the 3 latest albums, Dave Grohl did drums on the s/t and some other dude played drums on Color and the Shape. Taylor is a pretty good drummer...nothing mindblowing, but he's definetely got talent.

Happy_Squirrel
10-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Dave Grohl did drums on the s/t and some other dude played drums on Color and the Shape.

Actually, Dave played drums on all of The Colour and the Shape except for like 2 songs.

officer doofy
10-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Actually, Dave played drums on all of The Colour and the Shape except for like 2 songs.
you are correct sir