PDA

View Full Version : sound direction

bonzia
10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
just checking, the majority of the sound from a drum kit is projected forwards. is that correct? Where does the rest of the sound go, is there more coming out the back or the sides....?

Wondering because ill point my drum kit in a different direction from what it is at the minute, so as not to annoy my neighbours.

puppet.master
10-28-2005, 08:26 AM
it will be hard not to annoy your neighbours unless you have the money for sound proofing

or you have a basement
use a dehimidifier though

or just play with mutes on your kit its better than nothing

The Ska Man
10-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Mesh Heads.

Yes, it was a very informative post, thank you.:rolleyes:

Bone
10-28-2005, 09:34 AM
Up, Sideways.. etc

In a small room, such as a room in a house. It really doesn't matter too much.

LoneStarDrummer
10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
if your playing in a small room, the sound i going to resonate and echo off in all directions. there really isn't any way you can prevent annoying your neighbors by simply turning your kit in a certian direction unfortunately.

bonzia
10-29-2005, 08:05 AM
sorry i should rephrase "so as to make it less noisy for my neighbours"

puppet.master
10-29-2005, 10:01 AM
you could make it silent for you neighbours by using mesh heads

i would be good if yougave us a budget

bonzia
10-29-2005, 12:02 PM
your misunderstanding me, my neighbours are fine about my drumming. its just that im changing where my drumset sits in the room so i might as well be cool to them and face it in a direction which will be less noisy for them, and from what people have said so far the answer seems to be that it doesnt make much difference which way the kit is facing if its in a smallish room (which it is). thankyou

poppinfresh
10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
just put up blankets and stuff, that will help a bit as far as making it sound a bit smaller, by minimizing the reverberation.