PDA

View Full Version : Our standard response? Try your question here first..

aznriceball
10-28-2005, 01:12 AM
heres just some trend that I decided to compile. who knows, maybe itll have some effect ^_^

here are some standard q&a and their explanation. im updating this post gradually becuz its..easier :p
1) if u ask what are 'good heads' for ur toms

combo #1: single ply coated over single clear ply
-remo coated ambassador (batter) remo clear ambassador (resonant)
-evans coated g1 (batter) evans clear g1 (resonant)
-aquarian classic coated (batter) aquarian classic clear (resonant)

why?
these sets are the most versatile heads and are also the most popular. they have the widest

tuning range and are the basic industry standard.

useful tips
these can be deadened to reduce overtones like other thicker heads to get that 'rock' sound.

unlike those thick heads though, u can always remove the dampening. for dampening i would

recommend
moongel or studio rings. these things are much more reliable than
methods such as duct tape and the evan's mini-emad and can be easily
removed.

-------

combo #2: single ply clear over single ply clear
-remo clear ambassador (batter) remo clear ambassador (resonant)
-evans clear g1 (batter) evans clear g1 (resonant)
-aquarian classic clear (batter) aquarian classic clear (resonant)

why?
these sets are slightly more open and brighter than their coated/clear combo counterpart, but

are still extremely versatile in their tuning ranges.

useful tips
same as combo#1

-------

combo #3: double ply coated over single ply clear
-remo coated emperor (batter) remo clear ambassador (resonant)
-evans coated g2 (batter) evans clear g1 (resonant)
-aquarian coated response 2 (batter) aquarian classic clear (resonant)

why?
these sets offer more of a thuddy, warm tone without killing the resonance. the tuning range

of these sets are not quite as wide but are able to be tuned lower in pitch because the head

will not wrinkle as much as ambassadors/g1/classic

useful tips
this is as far as i would recommend deader heads go. if u are having resonance troubles with

recording u might try studio rings or moongel, but that is in the extremes

-------
combo #4: double ply clear over single ply clear
-remo clear emperor (batter) remo clear ambassador (resonant)
-evans clear g2 (batter) evans clear g1 (resonant)
-aquarian clear response 2 (batter) aquarian classic clear (resonant)

why?
these sets are slightly more open and brighter than their coated/clear combo counterpart. they

have a sharper attack
and more noticeable attack.

useful tips
same as combo#3

-------

misc points

-remo diplomats/evans hazy 300 (resonant) - these thinner heads will offer more resonance,

allowing you to project further

-any coated head (resonant) - it is not recommended to get anything thicker than a remo

diplomat or evans hazy 300 when getting a coated resonant head. the coated deadens the sound

and warms it up, and will be completely killed if using a regular 1 ply or godforbid a 2ply

coated head.

-any 2ply head or thicker (resonant) - not recommended because resonance of the drum will be

completely or near completely choked from any resonance at all
-remo pinstripes/evans ec2s/aquarian studio-x (batter) - these are gimmick heads designed to

be tuned low. with proper tuning, regular 1ply or 2ply heads can be tuned the same way,

without the extra cost and limiting sound. these drums cannot be tuned high without sounding

*choked* because they are already pre-muffled, and are not recommended as such.

-evans hydraulics (batter) - not recommended because they are an extreme version of the above

gimmick heads. they can only be tuned very low, and are focused to the point of very low

resonance. trying to tune them high will only result in a choked sound that will not project

very much more. will not be present at all in music when unmic-ed with a band, and mic-ed,

will hardly be heard.

-black (ebony)/white (smooth white) heads - these heads have a different kind of film coating

that does not chip like regular coating. while they are warmer than clear heads, they are

nowhere near as warm as coated heads and as such serve mostly an aesthetic value (tip: those

looking for a classic look of coated resonants might be interested in remo smooth white

ambassadors..)

------------------------
next question answered: heads for snare?

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
2) if u ask what are 'good heads' for ur snare

combo #1: single ply coated over single clear thin ply
-remo coated ambassador (batter) remo clear snare-side ambassador (resonant)
-evans coated g1 (batter) evans hazy 300 (resonant)

why?
this is the most popular and most established combo available and has, by far the greatest tuning range of all the snare head combos. can be tuned down to very warm to very bright. the coating also makes brushwork ideal. excellent stick rebound and response.

useful tips
these can be deadened to reduce overtones like other thicker heads to get that more focused sound, with less ringing. this is not recommended though, because most excess snare 'ringing/buzzing' is drowned out during live music and the overtones are needed to be heard over other instruments. however, if u are having ringing troubles during recording, u may try a thin studio ring or a moongel stuck as far away from the center as possible

-------

combo #2: specialty over single ply thin clear
-any 'dot' heads, reverse or black by remo/evans (batter) remo clear ambassador (resonant)

why?
though they are just a tiny bit darker and warm than the standard combo, the 'dot' placed in the head extends the life/durability of the head for much longer (many report up to double/triple head life)

useful tips
same as combo#1

-------

misc points

-remo diplomats/evans hazy 200 (resonant) - these thinner heads offer a clearer resonance than their slightly thicker counterparts. because they are thinner, they are able to vibrate a little less longer than snare side ambassadors/hazy 300s, and are able to project more.

-any coated head (resonant) - this is just not a good idea. the coating will greatly deaden any snare response and is not advised.

-any 2ply head or thicker (resonant) - true for toms, but is simply a rule for snares. if u want any sort of response from your snares at all, u just cant have a 2ply resonant head.

-remo emperor-x/remo powerstroke 3/evans HD/evans genera dry/aquarian studio-x (batter) - these are gimmick heads designed to appeal to people who play 'heavy' music. in reality, these are just super choked heads that offer a staccato sound with no projection

-evans hydraulics/remo pinstripes (batter) - do you even need to read this part if after reading the above?!

- clear head (batter) - will offer a brighter snare tone, but makes it near impossible for good sounding brushwork

------------------------
next question answered: heads for snare?

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
3) if u ask what are 'good heads' for ur bass drum

(will fill in asap)

4) if u ask what is wrong with Z customs/ZXT Titaniums

(will fill in asap)

The Ska Man
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
One ply tunes lower than 2 ply, man.

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
5) if u ask what what is wrong with Travis Barker/Joey Jordison/Tre Cool/Lars Ulrich

Literally speaking, there is nothing wrong with their playing. They are professional drummers. HOWEVER, most of the flaming you see on these kinds of forums stems from the fact that the fame/publicity that these drummers have is far greater than their actual skill. In other words, it's very unproportional and usually due to the fame of the bands they are involved with.

Fans then boast about the 'best drummer ever!' as one of these guys when in fact there are hundreds of drummers with more skill than the mentioned. But if people will understand this, then there would not be need for threads asking 'why the hate' and people pointing at each other and calling each other names. it just gets ugly. oh and things to watch out for

- saying that 'insert one of those drummers' is better because they are famous: they are famous more for their band and image rather than skill

- saying that 'insert that drummer' is probably better than everyone at this forum: that is just blind loyalty and should not be said without research. many members of D&P are professional drummers and some of them are endorsed also.

5) if u ask what what is wrong with AHEAD sticks
(will fill in asap)

CasB
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
3) if u ask what are 'good heads' for ur bass drum

Depends on the sound you want.
Oh well generally:
Big bang:
Evans Emad
Aquarian Superkick I or II
Remo Powerstroke 3
And tune them fingertight

Booooooooom:
Just use medium thight tuning :P

4) if u ask what is wrong with Z customs/ZXT Titaniums

They just sound like crap. If you want to get a headache every time you play, buy these.

MeaninglessPhoto
11-01-2005, 02:53 PM
5) if u ask what what is wrong with AHEAD sticks
(will fill in asap)

Because if the white tips flys off while you are playing then the part under the tip scales your head. And there too heavy.

Der Meister
11-01-2005, 03:00 PM
will not wrinkle as much as ambassadors/g1/classic

that's debatable, the upper ply on a 2 ply head has to stretch more than the lower ply and there for they are not at equal tightness which leads to wrinkles.

blujelly
11-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Because if the white tips flys off while you are playing then the part under the tip scales your head. And there too heavy.
zildjian sticks do that alot :angry:

sorry off topic

Double Bass Jim
11-01-2005, 03:37 PM
They sure do... Alot of people can't get this concept in their heads.

Brokensticks
11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Good idea on the thread, well done.

The Leper Messiah
11-01-2005, 07:32 PM
What do you guys think?

TOM: Remo Pinstripe Clear over ___________________
SNARE: Remo Coated CS with Reverse Dot over Remo Ambassador Snare Side
BASS DRUM: Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear with Dot over ___________________

I just don't know what tom and bass drum resonant to get, any suggestions/opinions would be cool. Thanks.

FL3P
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Get a P3 for the kick reso and clear Ambs for the toms.

Murd_666
11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
pfft I like my P3 Renissance ambassador snare head, my snare just rings out to much sometimes, but still I have a coated ambassador at the side just in case....-remo emperor-x/remo powerstroke 3/evans HD/evans genera dry/aquarian studio-x (batter) - these are gimmick heads designed to appeal to people who play 'heavy' music. in reality, these are just super choked heads that offer a staccato sound with no projection Sometimes I get told my snare projects too much....

Half Life
11-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I like this thread idea. Hopefully it might have some success then maybe Jim will feel generous and sticky it ;) I'll bump it for support :thumb:

aznriceball
11-01-2005, 10:56 PM
yeah, its turning out to be alot more writing than i expected though. and i really didnt know that 1ply tunes lower than 2ply..ill have to go back to the bible and find a way to re-explain without looking like an ass :p

puppet.master
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
it kinda confused me for a minute but i get it now

its a bit long though

try to make it abit shorter

DxRocker
11-02-2005, 03:00 AM

Yep. Lot's of players mistaken "low" for "dead" :D

2-ply heads won't sing out as much as 1-ply heads, but it's the tone of that sing that will define your drum as being high or low. And as 1-ply heads have a larger tuning range, you'll be able to go lower (and higher) then with 2-ply heads. And on top of that, they will sing out more as well.

Don't like the ring? Moongel or o-rings are your friend. you can always take them off as well. Although I believe that you still can tune your single ply heads in such a way that the singing is reduced to a minimum and still have a decent drum sound!

I still like clear emperors though!

Ethan.
11-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Good job on the thread man. Imaginary rep +++ :thumb:

thenewguy515
11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
can someone give examples of drummers who have (insert head combo here) and what it sounds like?

TTTSNB
11-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah, its annoying, my coated emps need to be tuned alot higher then you would think to not have a massive warble to them.

metallas
11-18-2005, 08:28 AM
where can i find pic of joey jordison drums ?

The Ska Man
11-18-2005, 08:32 AM
where can i find pic of joey jordison drums ?

Every self-respecting drummer's trash cans.

RichHunt
11-18-2005, 08:33 AM
yeah, its turning out to be alot more writing than i expected though. and i really didnt know that 1ply tunes lower than 2ply..ill have to go back to the bible and find a way to re-explain without looking like an ass :p

You must tighten a 2 ply head more to get tone out of it than a 1 ply head. Which is why I'm going one ply next time, I can't wait.

yourstruly
12-09-2005, 01:45 PM
What do you guys think?

TOM: Remo Pinstripe Clear over an inferno, cliff, etc..
SNARE: Remo Coated CS with Reverse Dot over Remo Ambassador Snare Side
BASS DRUM: Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear with Dot over ___________________

I just don't know what tom and bass drum resonant to get, any suggestions/opinions would be cool. Thanks.don't get pinstripes

AtomShip
12-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Funny cause I've seen threads like this done a million times and each time they get the standard "we've tried this in the past and it never worked" response form a mod and it just goes away.

playwithfire
12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
If you ask "What sort of cymbals should I get?" get your *** to the Cymbal Finder.

LostRythym
02-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Questions:
Evans Powercenter - 2ply or 1ply?
Evans Powercenter over Hazy 300 - Is it a good combination?
Thanks guys...D&P rocks

aznriceball
02-15-2006, 10:23 AM
Questions:
Evans Powercenter - 2ply or 1ply?
Evans Powercenter over Hazy 300 - Is it a good combination?
Thanks guys...D&P rocks

Evans Powercenter and Evans Powercenter Reverse Dot are both Ambassador weight (10mil) with a 5mil Dot to reinforcement the center and add a bit of focus, much like the Remo CS dots.

They would sound great over a Hazy 300/Hazy 200, just a tiny bit more focused than a G1 over those 2, but lasts about 3x longer and is a bit "fattier/tubbier" and focused.

The Fiction We Live
02-15-2006, 10:48 AM

You could just post a link to the bible at the top of the thread...

drummingducktape
02-26-2006, 09:14 AM
you should put this in lessons so i can find it easyer next time

Zildjian
03-09-2006, 07:10 PM
awsome idea on this thread...Request for sticky

Massik Kretal
03-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Zildjian is not better than Sabian or visa verca. Same applies to Paiste, Istanbul, Bosphourus, Meinl, Wuhan, etc...

I contributed I think.

Cocaberry
03-09-2006, 10:14 PM
awsome idea on this thread...Request for sticky

I agree. This thread should be sticky. Hopefully it will cut down some on the n00bish threads.

Pauly
03-10-2006, 04:40 AM

Pardon the pun?

..it was screaming at me, I had to post it!

styler
03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
i dont get it :(

Pauly
03-10-2006, 06:29 AM
I edited in the first quote, might make a bit more sense now.

styler
03-10-2006, 06:37 AM
i still dont get it.

i feel stupid. is this a good or a bad pun. im just not seeing it. lol

Pauly
03-10-2006, 06:40 AM
Maybe I'll bold the word heads...

or maybe its just a bad pun.

styler
03-10-2006, 06:46 AM
i think i get it now. thats a horrible pun man.

lol.

edit: just horrible. /smack.

Pauly
03-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Hey, a pun's a pun. I admit though, pun's are such a bad form of humour. One of my old high school teachers used to make puns all the time, it used to drive me insane.. maybe he rubbed off on me.

Kev
06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
When is #3 going to be answered? ;D