PDA

View Full Version : Band Predicament

meizmatt
10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
my bands bassist is not great, and i want to replace him. one of my other band memebers think we should keep him in the band because "hes cool". and i feel this is alomost the absolute worst reason to keep someone in the band. the only reason i wanted to keep him was because he could get us into a home studio for free, but now we have found another way into a home studio for free, so there is no point in keeping him, (Side note: the bassist is crazy and may stab me if i dont handle this delicately) and if we were to kick him out i would have to do it since i am the unnofficial "band leader".

so i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on delicately kicking him out of the band, so i can walk away from him without any additional holes?

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
that is almost that exact situation with our last bassist. no talent, just posing skills
. but we all knew he was an asshole so we ditched him

billdrum
10-27-2005, 07:21 PM
I don't know, another orifice might be useful....

I'd say it should be a team effort or bust. If not everyone is willing to participate in the firing, then you probably shouldn't do it. If he's that crazy, why does the other guy think he's cool? At least if you stand united, then one person doesn't become the bad guy and get stabbed.

Panopticon
10-27-2005, 07:25 PM
bloody 1 brilliant 2 post 3

meizmatt
10-27-2005, 07:36 PM

I'd say it should be a team effort or bust. If not everyone is willing to participate in the firing, then you probably shouldn't do it. If he's that crazy, why does the other guy think he's cool? At least if you stand united, then one person doesn't become the bad guy and get stabbed.

he is kool its just that hes crazy and may stab me if i kick him out. i might consider the group approach, but what happens if he stabs all of us....

actually if he stabs me i dont have to worry about kicking him out of the band

styler
10-27-2005, 07:50 PM
he is kool its just that hes crazy and may stab me if i kick him out. i might consider the group approach, but what happens if he stabs all of us....

well the simple problem to this is: dun dun dun, your all ****ing idiots for letting someone like that be in the band in the first place.

but, just tell him, do it as a band and not a single person. your guitarist sounds like an idiot. but worst comes to worst, just carry your own knife around. i carry one on me almost all the time, id rather be ont he giving end of a stabwound than on the recieving. if it was self defence you wont have a problem

billdrum
10-27-2005, 07:57 PM

I'm sorry, but if he would stab you, he's not cool. You need new friends.

meizmatt
10-27-2005, 08:02 PM
ok w/e this isnt about if hes cool or not, this is about how i can fire him without being stabbed

Panopticon
10-27-2005, 08:28 PM
are you actually being serious about the stabbing part?...cuz that's pretty stupid that you would even get him as your bassist...does your guitarist think he's cool cuz he's some greaser that drinks beer, smokes cigarettes, and carries a switchblade around?

meizmatt
10-27-2005, 08:42 PM
are you actually being serious about the stabbing part?...cuz that's pretty stupid that you would even get him as your bassist...does your guitarist think he's cool cuz he's some greaser that drinks beer, smokes cigarettes, and carries a switchblade around?
im serious about the stabbing part....i had no idea he was like that when i joined the band, because i had not known him previously...and i dont really know why he thinks hes kool, he's like the quiet guy who just kills everybody oneday, cause someone pissed him off...

my other option is to quit the band, but i really like playing with them, and theres soo much potential

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 08:50 PM
do what we did to start with. slowly stop inviting him to practices and jam sessions. then do gigs, then talk about em afterwards. it should go without saying that hes done. make sure u have a new bassist with u too.

billdrum
10-27-2005, 08:51 PM

I stand by my previous post!

PremierManiac
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Do it over the phone.

Panopticon
10-27-2005, 09:13 PM
quit the band and start another band with the other guys from the band. That's what happened to me:upset:...although im not very capable of stabbing someone.

PandaDrummer
10-27-2005, 10:08 PM
make him quit and then stab him first :thumb: LOL

Parker
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I'd rather be in a band with someone that I thought was cool than have a tool playing in it. If he is the rest of the band's friend then keep him. Playing in a band isn't about having the most talented musicians you can find. He will get better for sure, but on another note; If he is really the type of person that will stab you then I would ditch that guy, haha.

Damo
10-28-2005, 05:25 AM
the only reason i wanted to keep him was because he could get us into a home studio for free, but now we have found another way into a home studio for free, so there is no point in keeping him
Then I think you deserve whatever harshness may come from his firing. You were basically leading him on the whole time, and that kind of deception is not cool. He will have every right to be upset. let it be a lesson to every other band out there dealing with its members:

Deal with situations as they arise, be honest with eachother and never look for the quick fix.

djs
10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Do what my band did when we didnt want this bassist in our band...he actually tried to self-impose himself as our bassist. We just all got on aim, joined a chat room, planned out what we'd say, then invited him and pasted it all.

If he goes to your school, make sure you do it on Friday night or Saturday so he'll get the whole weekend to cool down about it all. Good luck!

jcreamer89
10-28-2005, 11:13 AM
The only bass players I know that are good can play another instrument also.

DrOctagon
10-28-2005, 03:36 PM
jesus christ, this is so dumb....can you solve your own problems? first of all, kicking someone out of a band is pretty lame, when you form a band you also for a commitment.....but if its that bad, tell him that you got a new bassist (or whatever the hell he is) and that he is out of the band. If its a group desicion have the group there, he wont stab anyone over osmething like that. if he does however get violent(which i doubt he would) you should phone the authorities and tell them there may be conflict with someone who is coming over, and that they may want to be waiting for a call or something(do this before you kick him out) then if he goes crazy give the cops a ring. really though he probably wont stab you, it sounds like your over exagerating the problem. just do it and stop being a pussy

edit: using people is not cool, if you used someone for a free home studio you should probably get your *** stabbed

Kaptor306
10-28-2005, 04:17 PM
The only bass players I know that are good can play another instrument also.
i know what your talking about because the bassist in my band and I both play guitar, bass, drums, and keyboards, so we make up everything. our rhythm section happens to be quite amazing.

AtomShip
10-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Thers no way in kicking someone out of a band without them feeling the least bit hurt, no way in hell. Just try to be nice about it but be stern and don't give him any slack or he'll try to weasel back in.

DrOctagon
10-28-2005, 10:09 PM
jus tell him its not working out, and thats its you and not him, tell him thatd youd still like to be friends and jam.............thats the pussy way which seems appropriate for you......or just tell him you started a new band and need more time to focus on your newer project(or get someone eles in the band, probably you because as you said you are the "unoffcial leader", and once you cut of the head the boddy will fall if you know what i mean. just tell the other mambers that they are in the new band (may be sketchy is he see's you for the first while) and tell them to just fall apart once you leave.

that way would probably the most efficient, because if this guy is how you say, then that way it will give him time to cool down and realize the band just broke up.

p.s. i do think my first way of telling the truth would be best and most honest, but it seems that you want an easy way out of kicking him out so thats why i said the above.

breakster
10-29-2005, 07:49 AM
i recently ditched a bassist. he had only been playing with us for about 2 weeks then we found a better guy (we stole him from another band) and the old bassist got the hint when we played a gig without him. Now that i think about it - that was a dick thing to do.