PDA

View Full Version : Z custom mastersound bottom. K top hat ?

Money$hot
10-27-2005, 05:56 PM
The Z custom mastersound hats have served me well for punk and metal where I had to cut through in bands with 2 loud distorted guitars.

I'm doing some other projects now that don't need that harsh volume - indie pop and funk, some blues as well. I can't afford a full set of hats right now, but if I were to just buy the K custom hi hat top first could I combine it effectively with the wavy Z bottom [or would this be total crud]?

Really I'm posting to see if anyone has done this and to get an idea of what it would sound like. I've seen posts here from people who love the 13" K/Z but what I'm talking about a 14" combo now...should I get a K bottom instead to put under the Z top?

Tim
10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
get the k top and put it over the z bottom

Drum Phil
10-27-2005, 06:07 PM
K/Z Dyno beats ;)

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 06:15 PM
the k seems kind of thin, but if ur technique is down i dont see why it wouldnt be fine. u might not hear it much tho, mostly wash from the z, perhaps an a/a custom top?

The syllek attacks
10-27-2005, 06:19 PM
K/Z dynos are really popular, they have the tone of a K with a bit more balls.

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
all these k/z dyno posts are irrelevant..

White
10-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Im wondering were you can just buy one part of the hi hat, I thought you always had to buy them in pairs, and if I were you I would jsut buy a fullset of hats, i now your short on cash, but you shoud be able to save 2-300$ in a while, its worth it in the end.

cctama29
10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
all these k/z dyno posts are irrelevant..

what makes them irellivant, all they're doing is informing him that his idea of combining the 2 is actually widely used and is called k/z dyno. actually these wouldnt be exactly that beacause he has the z mastersound instead of the z dyno beat

and last i checked if you search through musiciansfriend.com hard enough they sell them seperately

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 06:51 PM
what makes them irellivant, all they're doing is informing him that his idea of combining the 2 is actually widely used and is called k/z dyno. actually these wouldnt be exactly that beacause he has the z mastersound instead of the z dyno beat

and last i checked if you search through musiciansfriend.com hard enough they sell them seperately

that is what i meant. and u just proved it

DruMMeR_BoY14
10-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Bring hte bottom into a store and try some different combos out. The K top is medium heavy, and is the heaviest K hat, so that would be a good choice.

K Custom aren't the best choice, they are all thin, so you would just get wash.

Double Bass Jim
10-27-2005, 11:37 PM
IMO id stay away from Z all together.

An A rock hat bottom would be alot more musical.

Kristian
10-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I had the K/Z Dyno beat once, they were not good in my opinion. I could easily get flamed for this, I know a lot of people like them. But I would try something else though. :)

Aaron
10-28-2005, 08:07 AM
i'm nuts so i'd suggest a 14" K dark crash.. because later you can chuck it back into your setup

Money$hot
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes, Musician's Friend sells the top and bottom hat seperately; which works out great for me as I only have around $170 US to spend [Another $155 and I can get the matching K bottom hat ].

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll bring my hats into the shops and try the different combinations before I make a decision.

-Obscurity-
10-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Ebay