PDA

View Full Version : Cream Show Last Night

robo2448
10-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Cream was simply amazing last night. If you donít know who they are, Lunch wrote a great article on them but I canít find the link. When he sees this thread heíll take the chance to whore out his article and give you an introduction to who they are. Cream played straight through for 2 and a half hours, with no breaks. Itís amazing that guys that old can rock so well for that long.

Anyway, they started with Iím So Glad. I was just so amazed that I was seeing Cream. Next they played Spoonful, which Jack Bruce totally dominated. His bass in the song was just amazing. Claptonís solo was great of course, but I think Bruce really stole the spot-light. Outside Women Blues was excellent. The band started to gel, Bruce was really pushing Clapton with his bass and Clapton responded with a great solo.

Next was Ginger Bakers story, Pressed Rat and Warthog, which was amusing. The next song, Sleepy Time Time had some really, really incredible playing by Clapton. One of the highlights.

Then, they played Tales of Brave Ulysses, which was absent from the London shows. This was just an incredible moment. The wah solo was just awesome and Bruce delivered some really energetic vocals. Just incredible. NSU is next and is stretched out a little with some good jamming. The band is gelling now and how they blend so well together during jams is just amazing. Then comes my favorite Cream song, Badge. Bruceís bass riff comes in booming and Clapton delivers the verse, then they just stop everything right before the bridge riff. The crowd goes nuts for about 30 seconds then Clapton goes into the bridge and Bakers drums come in, just an incredible moment. The solo is amazing and this song is just amazing. The song has a raw sound live and is just amazing. Politician followed and was a great performance but not much different from the studio version. The solo was great.

Sweet Wine followed that. This has never been one of Creamís better songs IMO, but they jammed on it for a while which made it better. Rolliní and Tumbliní was Jack Bruce playing some flat-out awesome harmonica. Bruce is amazing. Then Stormy Monday was Claptonís turn to show off with a really great solo. It would have been cool if this were a little longer but it was still amazing. Deserted Cities of the Heart was impressive, as Jack handled the bass and vocals very well, and Claptonís solo was brilliant.

Born Under A Bad Sign was a little disappointing. Bruce handled the vocals very well but Clapton seems a little bored during this song. The solo is still amazing, but Clapton didnít really seem to be emotionally into it. But he makes up with it in Weíre Going Wrong. This was possibly the best guitar solo I have ever heard, just amazing.

My friends who went to the Monday and Tuesday night concerts said Crossroads was the biggest disappointment. Apparently they played it slower and it just wasnít very good. Well they did play it a little slower but it was still awesome, especially the solo. The crowd was really into it too. Then they played Sitting On Top of the World. All I can really remember about this song is that the solo was really, really good. Then they played White Room, which was simply amazing. They were really ďinto itĒ when they played this song. Bruceís vocals were fiery and Claptonís wah solo was just awesome. Baker had the great fills, just a great song. Then it was Ginger Bakerís turn to show off. They played the intro to Toad, Clapton took off his guitar, Bruce took off his bass, they gestured to Ginger and just walked off the stage. Ginger needed to have a first-aid guy sit next to him and by the end of Toad, he looked like he was going to faint. It was that intense of a drum solo. He was just amazing, this was just a ridiculous solo. Then Clapton and Bruce came back on, left with Ginger and left us to clap for 5 minutes for what we knew was coming. Eventually they came out with Sunshine Of Your Love. Bruceís bass was really, really loud and distorted, and Bruce and Clapton traded off verses. They did an brilliant jam with Clapton providing two great solo, Ginger many amazing drum fills, and Bruceís bass was great. Eventually the song ended, they came to center of the stage, bowed, and left the stage. It was such an amazing concert.

So that's my review of it. I tried to make it as short as possible but it still ended up being pretty long. If anyone wants more details I'm happy to talk about the show even more.

MBS
10-27-2005, 04:38 PM
YOU ARE SO LUCKY FOR GETTING TO SEE THEM.

You saw Floyd at Live 8 though, didn't you?

That was free AND an amazing show.

Sounds like a good show, robo. I think it's safe to say that all the regs in the CR thread are insanely jealous and will kill you.

Broken Arrow
10-27-2005, 04:54 PM
You saw Floyd at Live 8 though, didn't you?

That was free AND an amazing show.

Sounds like a good show, robo. I think it's safe to say that all the regs in the CR thread are insanely jealous and will kill you.
Then steal your brain and put it in our heads then we will rememebr the show.

Anyways thats awesome man.

magicbus
10-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Reading all this really makes me wish I saw them. That seriously would've amazing. Glad it was fun :thumb:

robo2448
10-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I thought my seats would suck because on the tickets said behind the stage. But they ended up being a great view. I could see all of them clearly even if it was mostly their backs. There were huge screens as well that I ended up watching too. Two of my friends went, one of them got 4th row, and the other got box seats. Yeah there are a lot of rich kids in my town. But honestly I'd rather have my "cheap" 65 dollar seats than box seats. Box seats sound impressive but kind of suck. They are high up and really, really far from the stage. I don't think you'd be able to see anything. Now being fourth row would beat the hell out of my seats, but the $300 dollar difference isn't worth it. Also, the "real" fans were in my section. We were all into it, playing air guitar and singing along. I looked at the people in the first few rows, most were businessmen who didn't really care about Cream at all. I liked the atmosphere where I was.

The show was awesome. I think Jack Bruce was actually the most impressive. I was blown away with him, he's gotten better as he's aged. Ginger and Clapton have showed no signs of slowing down either.

Broken Arrow
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Except when you look at them.

=-fukifiknow-=
10-27-2005, 05:26 PM
wow your incredibly lucky, rock wouldnt be NEARLY what it is without them... most people dont even credit them.

also whoever say floyd, i envy you more than anyone

Lunch
10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Cream was simply amazing last night. If you don’t know who they are, Lunch wrote a great article on them but I can’t find the link. When he sees this thread he’ll take the chance to whore out his article and give you an introduction to who they are.

Not only did you get to see them and I didn't, but you also took the chance to pour salt in the wound:upset:

Sounds amazingly awesome, you're so lucky.

And I was really impressed by Baker especially on the Royal Albert Hall Dvd, I had no idea he could still play like that.

robo2448
10-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Not only did you get to see them and I didn't, but you also took the chance to pour salt in the wound:upset:

Sounds amazingly awesome, you're so lucky.

It's more publicity for your articles:p

I got the impression that they had a fun time playing together and I could see them playing again. Both Clapton and Bruce have dropped a lot of hints that they'd enjoy a few more gigs. Not a whole tour, but I wouldn't rule out a few more gigs for them. If this is it though, they went out in style. It'd be cool to say I saw their last performance ever.

Lunch
10-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Is it a bad thing that I'm pround of those articles?

They really seemed to enjoy themselves on stage at the RAH.

robo2448
10-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Is it a bad thing that I'm pround of those articles?

They really seemed to enjoy themselves on stage at the RAH.

The highlight of the concert was the bridge in Badge. After the verse, they just completely stop playing, the crowd's going nuts waiting for the riff, and Clapton just stands there laughing. And then he played the riff and the drums came in perfectly... Oh man that was just an incredible moment.

Jack Bruce is a real showman. He was playing and singing with so much fire and passion.

rockinbass17
10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I saw 'em at Madison Square Garden. Top mezzanine, directly to the right of the stage. The setlist was the same. And I agree- it was a sweet, sweet show. My favorites were TOBU and Badge. Loved the bridge, as you stated. I wrote a review of it for my school paper:

What is there to say about Cream, the legendary three piece rock supergroup of the late sixties that changed music forever? They perfected psycahdellia, gave the blues it's rightful place among pop music, and raised the standard for all rock musicians ever. Remember, before Eric Clapton, there was no one. (Hendrix didn't hit until '67) As a defining member of the garage blues-rock band the Yardbirds, Clapton made a small name for himself, but when he got together with bassist/vocalist Jack Bruce and drummer Ginger Baker, he began a revolution. The band Cream obtained the name because Clapton, Bruce, and Baker were the best at their respective instruments at the time, the "cream of the crop". They were together for less than three years, but in those years left a big imprint on the musical world.
In the thirty seven years since Cream has been broken up, this current tour is their first reunion tour. One would think that they would be rusty, not as tight as they used to be, or just to old to put on a good rock concert. Well, an assumption like that couldn't be more false. With a two hour set of about thirty songs, never once was there a sign of decline in musicianship, or a fall in the rock and roll energy present the room. The sound was great- levels magnificent, all three members perfectly coherent, nobody overpowering eachother. The show kicked off at 8:30, the band members just walking on as if there had been no thirty seven year gap between this show and their last.
The first song was "I'm So Glad", and immediately it was known that Jack Bruce's voice was still strong as ever. The band wasted no time- the second song was their famous cover of the Willie Dixon song "Spoonful", in which Clapton gave it all he had during the long jam-period in the middle. Virtuosity and Cream go hand in hand- the three band members are by far some of the best musicians in rock history. In every song, Bruce showed off his bass walking prowess by complimenting Clapton's solos with a groovy low end. Baker would constantly drive the songs with neat little fills, and finally got his time to shine in a ten minute drum solo during "Toad". Throughout the set, two more covers were done- Booker T. Jones' "Born Under a Bad Sign" and Robert Johnson's "Crossroads". Bad Sign was played superbly. Crossroads was great, but rather disappointing that it wasn't jammed out as long as it normally was by the band, and the crowd adrenaline wasn't so high when it was played.
The best tunes of the night were surprising- "Tales of a Brave Ulysses", and the song that was co- written with George Harrison, "Badge". These two numbers brought on the most excitement from the crowd as well as the band members. The volume reached climatic peaks that kept everyone wanting more. Clapton still makes great use of the "wah-wah" pedal. The closer was "White Room", followed by the encore of "Sunshine of Your Love"(of course, what else would they end it with?), both played as spectacular as all the other songs, no energy lost. The only let-down of the whole show was the fact that my personal favorite, "I Feel Free", was not played. Other than that, I don't think I could've asked for a better performance. This was defiantly rock and roll at it's finest.

Lunch
10-27-2005, 07:26 PM
I wish I could write about something I cared about for my school paper.

robo2448
10-27-2005, 07:59 PM
I wish I could write about something I cared about for my school paper.

Yep. That'd be cool. Rockin' Bass did you go last night? It would be cool if they played I Feel Free but I really can't complain about the setlist. If they didn't play Tales of Brave Ulysses that would have been different. Strange Brew was left off too, but it is extremely similar to Outside Women Blues so as long as they played one of those two songs I was happy. It would have been sick if they played Steppin' Out but I think everything they played was great. Except I'm not a huge fan of Sweet Wine. Baker messed up pretty bad on that too, he started singing the "Baba ba baba ba" part at the wrong time but I thought that was pretty funny. Bruce and Clapton played extremely well on that so that saved it.

Apparently this may be it though- http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20051027/113046738000.html

I don't think anybody thought that they would definitely tour again, but it would have been nice if they left the window open a little more. We can hope they'll play again, but if last night was it, I'm glad I was there. I had something else to say but forgot.

rockinbass17
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
^ I went on Tuesday. Where did you see them?

temporary
10-28-2005, 02:18 PM
You are the luckiest guy ever! I really hope Cream does a full blown reunion tour.

Joe
10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here in saying "You are the luckiest guy ever!"

robo2448
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
W00t this thread's still alive. Rockin' bass I went on Wednesday. I think I probably am the luckiest guy ever.

Cool thing from the show. As a joke, Clapton put a Les Paul on his guitar rack and he and Bruce put miniature Marshall amps on top of the amps they used. For those who don't get it, back with Cream, Clapton played with a Gibson and Marshall amps that gave his playing a more raw and intense sound. Then after Cream he switched to Fender which sounded a little cleaner and many Cream fans prefered Clapton with his Gibson. So Clapton teased the fans by putting out his old equipment and making them think he might actually use it, but he stuck with the Fender the whole show.

sr800bkAGAIN!
10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
how much we're tickets?
i read that when they played NY it was a couple grand.
greedy fucks.

rockinbass17
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
^^ I payed $80. I got top mezzanine, though. Figure $300 for good seats.
Scalpers sold for thousands, though.

Broken Arrow
10-28-2005, 08:54 PM
^^ I payed $80. I got top mezzanine, though. Figure $300 for good seats.
Scalpers sold for thousands, though.That was a great article you wrote for the paper, but "Born Under a Bad Sign" was origianlly done by Albert Kning then Booker T. covered it. Not like it matters or anything I just like being a dick and pointing stuff out.

TheDMV
10-28-2005, 08:56 PM
This sounds Marvelous, Robo. :D You're really lucky for getting to go.

Did they "jam" per say on every or most of the songs?

rockinbass17
10-28-2005, 09:04 PM
That was a great article you wrote for the paper, but "Born Under a Bad Sign" was origianlly done by Albert Kning then Booker T. covered it. Not like it matters or anything I just like being a dick and pointing stuff out.

Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't sure about BUBS, I just saw on one of my records that Booker T. was in parenthases under the song.
98% of the kids in my school don't know who one of those musicians are, anyway. Even less know both.

robo2448
10-29-2005, 10:15 AM
This sounds Marvelous, Robo. :D You're really lucky for getting to go.

Did they "jam" per say on every or most of the songs?

All of the songs were longer than the studio versions but they didn't all-out jam on them like they did in the sixties. A few songs were only a little longer but a a bunch had extended jams where they explored a little. Spoonful was pretty funny though, Clapton played his solo and then finished it up intending for Bruce to sing the next verse. He just stood there strumming some chords waiting for Bruce to sing, but Bruce stepped away from the microphone and played some awesome riffs on his bass trying to prod Clapton into jamming a little more. But Clapton didn't bite. Other songs like NSU had really good jams though.

Edit- As the night went on, the songs got longer and they played louder as well. By Sunshine Of Your Love they were playing really, really loud. It was awesome.

Jude
10-29-2005, 10:19 AM
If you donít know who they are, get the hell off these forums.

Fixed.

God, I envy you so much.

ridgebball07
10-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I saw Cream on Tuesday night, with upper upper upper upper deck seats behind the stage. still amazing. my review is on www.whereseric.com for oct 25 if anyone cares. does anyone know if there will be a cd/dvd release for the msg shows?

robo2448
10-29-2005, 05:33 PM
I saw Cream on Tuesday night, with upper upper upper upper deck seats behind the stage. still amazing. my review is on www.whereseric.com for oct 25 if anyone cares. does anyone know if there will be a cd/dvd release for the msg shows?

Yeah that's where I sat too. I thought the seats were great. I thought the seats would suck because they were the cheapest, behind the stage and high up. But I had a great view of Cream still. As I said in one of my earlier posts, I'd much rather sit there than in box seats like my rich friend got. I'll check out your review.