PDA

View Full Version : Terminology

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
ive been playing for a yr and no formal training

i need to know what things like drum warmth, sustain, and low end and
cymbals brightness, dark, trash, fast, heavy things like that.

id be appreciative if you guys will explain what these means

if you know more that are listed tell me i know nuthing ive just gotten what sounds i like nothing specific:wave: :wave: :thumb:

Janeway
10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.dictionary.com

Really...those words you listed are fairly self explanitory.

Retarded Chipple
10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/id12.html

Theres a few defintions down the side of that page

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
i dont know what they sound like

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 07:10 PM
what do u mean what they sound like. most of those words are in english..perhaps an english dictionary..

Panopticon
10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
i think he means he doesnt know the difference between a warm sound and a bright sound. Or the difference between trashy, and bright, and dark.

aznriceball
10-27-2005, 09:44 PM
oh thats right. i need to stop drinking that starbucks

SonorKen
10-27-2005, 10:11 PM
++rep for anyone who actually takes this question seriously and puts forth an effort. This is one of the best questions I have seen on the forum for quite a while.

Chippy569
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
you might need your music collection, as well as your old man's for this one.

Bright vs. Dark
"Bright" drums have generally increased high-end in their sound, meaning they project more. when it comes to music, higher pitches tend to "cut" through everything because they vibrate faster, making them essentially more audiable. "Warmer" drums have a more even spread of sound. In a band setting, the "bright" drum will stick out of the music MORE than the "warm" drum. For an example, listen to your modern rock track, esp. the toms. hear how obvious they are? now compare that to some old jazz, where the toms are heard, but not "SMACKINTHEFACETOMSLAP!" heard. they're just kinda... there.

Sustain
is simply how long you hear a given sound. Often times on these boards it's referred to as "ringyness." an obvious example... your crash cymbal has a lot more sustain than your snare (i hope.)
Something with little sustain is called "fast," i.e. fast crashes.

cymbal sounds...
Warm vs. Trash
or rather, how to tell the difference? Take an A or AA china versus a, say, K or HH crash for this one. Hand Hammered cymbals will generally be darker than other cymbals, so a HH or K is a great way to test this. Go ahead and hit the crash. What you'll hear is a lot more middle- and low-end of the cymal's tones. This gives the cymbal a lot of swirling, mixing, complex frequencies.
Now hit that china. Notice how aggressive and bright and "KSSHhhhhsssshshshsshshsshhhhshshsss" sound it has. All those ssss and hhh sounds you hear are VERY high frequencies, caused by china's odd bell and flange shapes. They are so high, that your ear registers them as "potentially harmful", giving the idea of harsh or, as it's commonly said, trashy.

others...
Low-End is simply bass frequencies. High-End is high frequencies, and Mid is simply mid frequencies. think of it also as "low = bass" and "high = treble" on your house/car stereo.

that help?

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 11:12 PM
Thank you very much i was worried all i would get is a bunch of retard answers like pespi gave..no offense but a direct dictionary translation wouldn't apply to a musical context, so your "helpful" advice is completely useless. That is unless that particular dictionary by chance had definitions for musical purposes

But anyways thanks and props to chippy for providing a brief, yet detailed explaination of the terms. it helped me a good bit.

It sucks not having a formal teacher!

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
also i can listen to a lot fo stuff i got satellite radio so i can listen to a plethora(god, i love that word!) of genres, i know what you are talking about, where the jazz toms are more of a subtle background sounds rather than a huge sounding BOOMP

Dynamics isn't it? hitting them at a controlled velocity

playwithfire
10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Well these weren't asked but we might as well throw in a bit more for this guy...

Other terms you might come across are terms like attack, crack, or pop.

Attack is the initial tone of the drum, how sharp and instant you hear and feel the beat. The "jazzy" toms you mentioned, that kind of blend in the background, are drums that don't have a ton of attack. A snare drum usually has a lot of attack so it's heard prominently in the mix.

Crack and pop are terms that go hand in hand with snare drums. A snare drum with a lot of crack will have nice attack with a full snare sound, a great rock snare, a snare with a lot of pop is something like a piccolo or a popcorn snare, shallow and wide, or small diameter and average depth. These snares are higher pitch and have a quick decay (very little sustain).

Let's add more to this guys, we could actually turn this into a useful thread, and then put all these definitions into one post in the beginner forum (assuming we don't have something like that already).