PDA

View Full Version : Help on comping (Jazz)

scorpion990
10-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I starting learning a bit of jazz a couple of months ago. After a week or two, I had the swing beat down. After another week, I got decent comping on the snare on the quarter notes and the a's. Now, my teacher told me to practice comping on the "and" and "a" of every beat, and I jus can't do it. I've been trying to do this for 3 weeks now. I've been practicing for an hour and a half today, and I made no progress at all. Not one bit.

How should I practice this? I tried slowing it way down, etc. Grr.. Anybody have any tips that might help? Thanks.

Bone
10-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Slow down, count outloud.

You should go slowly, with a click, while counting, through all the basic 8th note variations on the snare under the basic jazz ride pattern.

Do the same with the kick drum as well.

Be sure to click the hat's on 2&4. Just go slow, be paitent and countout loud until you've got note placement exact. Then while always striving to play relaxed as possible, gently increase the tempo.

After that you can play with accenting various notes, mixing up the ride pattern, various combinations of those figures, etc.. it's a cumlitive process.

scorpion990
10-27-2005, 11:17 AM
I still haven't improved a bit. I've practiced for 3 hours today. I'm using "The art of bop drumming". I can easily do Comp Exmaple 1, but 2 is killing me. I'm just going to call it a day. I'm starting to get mad, and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Bone
10-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Well time doesn't equate to anything.

You should have multiple things you are working on, when you get tired, fustrated or simply had enough of one, you can move on to another.

Sitting there getting fustrated for long periods of time over a single thing is about the worst way to attempt to practice.

scorpion990
10-27-2005, 11:29 AM
That's the only thing I want to do right now. There's nothing else I want to practice. I don't get what I'm doing wrong though. I guess I should have quit once I started getting frustrated, but I can't help it. Grr.. So frustrating.

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
sorry for sounding like a total nemb but whats comping?

Bone
10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Short for accompanying.

chickensandwiches
10-27-2005, 08:01 PM
...sry but i have no idea what that is could you perhaps tab out and example or send to a clip?!

ive been playing for a yr but no teacher so i dont know any terminology
i have just practical experience no trained exp.

Caleb3221
10-27-2005, 08:42 PM
When playing jazz, the main job of most instrumnets is to compliment the soloist. That is what comping is, playing patterns that are complimenting whatever the soloist is playing.

And, you might go back to really basic coordination excercizes. Keep quarters with your left foot, or mabye just two and four, and play the snare comping by itself. Leave the ride out of it. Once you have the snare by itself sold(mabye with the left foot), then add the ride in. Take it really slow, as well. Mabye try keeping quarters on the ride instead of swinging it at first, too.

dj_ando
10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
hey man, check out jim chapin's book 'advanced techniques for the modern drummer'. that's a handy starting point for comping, as it gives you all sorts of comping phrases and exercises to play. comes with a cd now too, so it's even better :) that's my suggestion for you.

once you're comfortable with playing more complex comping patterns and phrases, then you can start listening to records and comping along by checking out what the soloist is doing and working from there.

chickensandwiches
10-28-2005, 12:25 AM
wish i had more money to buy books since i cant get a teacher:upset: :upset: