PDA

View Full Version : New York Style Jazz

Yppolitia
10-27-2005, 05:42 AM
So im new too listening to Jazz. Well knowing any good Jazz groups. I really enjoy the sort of jazz you get in the clubs in America, if you know what I mean, the smooth sorta jazz thats found in those cocktail bars in the bars at night in New York sorta thing.

Can someone please tell me some good jazz songs which are like my poor description. PS I have checked the reommendations bit but I dont know where to start.

Much appreciated.

starless and bible black
10-27-2005, 06:23 AM
You'll probably have to be a bit more specific. Do you mean like smooth jazz, Smooth FM bollox or something a bit more acoustic, primarily piano stuff?

Bill Evans is a great(the greatest?) pianist and quite acessible. His Sunday at the Village Vanguard is a classic album. Its a live recording so it has a really nice mood and ++, you can hear the glasses chinking and idiots chatting.

Yppolitia
10-27-2005, 06:32 AM
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/JakeHanna.html

Watch that video. The sort of Jazz that fits in with his drumming and the jazz that they all play at the end. That sort of upbeat jazz if you get me in those jazz clubs.

starless and bible black
10-27-2005, 07:04 AM
You might want to try Count Basie - The Complete Atomic Basie. Its very bright and swinging. Bill Evans is still great, though.

Yppolitia
10-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Ok, thanks alot, ill try them.

halfdeadhippo
10-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Check out the album "Miles Smiles" by the Miles Davis Quintet. It's what came to mind when I saw the first part of that video clip (I have to leave right quick, so I didn't finish it).

Ned
10-30-2005, 04:08 AM
You'll probably have to be a bit more specific. Do you mean like smooth jazz, Smooth FM bollox or something a bit more acoustic, primarily piano stuff?

Bill Evans is a great(the greatest?) pianist and quite acessible. His Sunday at the Village Vanguard is a classic album. Its a live recording so it has a really nice mood and ++, you can hear the glasses chinking and idiots chatting.

Which version of this recording do you own? Is it the "20-bit mastering?" Have you heard the "20-bit mastering" version of "Waltz for Debby"?

Lydisk
10-30-2005, 04:55 AM
this is creepy...i was just playing waltz for debby.

Ned
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM
I ask because on this particular incarnation the piano is greatly distorted, and I wonder how it compares to the other versions I've not heard.

Interstate
11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Try some Duke Ellington.

Krabsworth
11-01-2005, 04:29 PM
I think Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus is very NYC-Jazzy, but yeah, isn't almost anything by Miles Davis "New York" jazz? Since I think he pretty much gigged around that 42nd Steet area all the time back in the 50's...

starless and bible black
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
isn't almost anything by Miles Davis "New York" jazz?Yeah, like Pangaea

/joking